HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Bruins Scratch the Panthers 4-1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 07:49 PM
  #26
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 6,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
No, it's been your MO to knock on Lucic for years. An angry Lucic is a by-product of being the best power forward in the business. He wouldn't be who he is today without it. There was no penalty called, no PP for the Bruins, and Lucic exacting some sort of physical revenge after a dirty hit is what any red-blooded power forward SHOULD do.
I think the vast majority of people outside of Boston would argue that he shouldn't have done that. That it was a childish and stupid move. Take that with a grain of salt. Then again there were always power forwards who would do these types of things. Messier, Neely, and the like. Bobby Ryan does this too nowadays. A bit of craziness about him is obviously part of his game.

Personally though, as I've stated, this is not my thing. I've never been one for the antics which is why I always knocked Marchand and felt that way about other forwards in the past. I guess you take the good with the bad.

And my apologies about the M.O. thing, I didn't understand what you meant.

Lately, Lucic has been very good offensively in general so I've tried to overlook the b.s.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
  #27
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I think the vast majority of people outside of Boston would argue that he shouldn't have done that. That it was a childish and stupid move. Take that with a grain of salt. Then again there were always power forwards who would do these types of things. Messier, Neely, and the like. Bobby Ryan does this too nowadays. A bit of craziness about him is obviously part of his game.

Personally though, as I've stated, this is not my thing. I've never been one for the antics which is why I always knocked Marchand and felt that way about other forwards in the past. I guess you take the good with the bad.

And my apologies about the M.O. thing, I didn't understand what you meant.

Lately, Lucic has been very good offensively in general so I've tried to overlook the b.s.
Good.

Angry Lucic is engaged Lucic. Engaged Lucic is a dominant hockey player.

Not to mention that he had every right in the world to lose his **** over that stupid non-call, and I'd say that about anyone.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
  #28
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
I fully expect to get crushed here for this take but whatever

Lucic acted like an idiot in this situation. Yes he was boarded and yes it should have been a penalty. I have loved hi to engage Weaver in a fight or gotten his number and deliver a hit later in the game. All he did was put his team on the PK for 4 minutes and basically remove himself from the game because he couldn't control himself. I would expect this when he was 18 not when he is on this teams first line and counted on to actually be on this ice. He honestly looked like a moron in this situation. In the playoffs in a one goal game is he going to do the same when he gets hit like that?

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:56 PM
  #29
Gonzothe7thDman
Registered User
 
Gonzothe7thDman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bridgewater, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 5,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Good.

Angry Lucic is engaged Lucic. Engaged Lucic is a dominant hockey player.

Not to mention that he had every right in the world to lose his **** over that stupid non-call, and I'd say that about anyone as long as they were wearing a Bruins jersey.
Agreed.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:56 PM
  #30
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I am. Coulda taken the penalty and gone on the PP there and instead gave us a four minute PK. A double minor because he lost his cool. I understand why he went after him but the best way to turn that situation around is to take the penalty or, if it weren't called, an even strength goal.

Hurt 'em where it counts, on the scoreboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
I fully expect to get crushed here for this take but whatever

Lucic acted like an idiot in this situation. Yes he was boarded and yes it should have been a penalty. I have loved hi to engage Weaver in a fight or gotten his number and deliver a hit later in the game. All he did was put his team on the PK for 4 minutes and basically remove himself from the game because he couldn't control himself. I would expect this when he was 18 not when he is on this teams first line and counted on to actually be on this ice. He honestly looked like a moron in this situation. In the playoffs in a one goal game is he going to do the same when he gets hit like that?
I swear I called this in a another thread.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:57 PM
  #31
NastyNate17
Registered User
 
NastyNate17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Sam Houston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Best pk team in the league along with best record past few years w a 2 goal lead. No worries.
agreed

NastyNate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
  #32
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Good.

Angry Lucic is engaged Lucic. Engaged Lucic is a dominant hockey player.

Not to mention that he had every right in the world to lose his **** over that stupid non-call, and I'd say that about anyone.
Angry/Engaged Lucic was in the penalty box for 25% of the game. How does that make him dominant?

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:00 PM
  #33
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Angry/Engaged Lucic was in the penalty box for 25% of the game. How does that make him dominant?
Most NHL refs aren't Chris Lee. You blow a call that badly that could have resulted in a career being altered, take your berating and ref the game.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:01 PM
  #34
ThomasJ13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I'm not arguing justified versus unjustified. Was a crappy situation for him to be in and considering like VeddarRants said, its his M.O. Calls get missed, its human error and it happens every which way throughout the league.

I could be wrong here though as it seems most here disagree with me. Personally I think it's way more bad*** to get up, get out there on the next shift, score a goal and completely demoralize a team than to put yourself in a shorthanded situation.
I think it's highly dependent on situation. If the very same incident happened in the Bell Centre in a tied playoff series with the game tied...then I think you'd find more backing for your position. As it was, it occurred in a relatively meaningless game against a relatively meaningless opponent, with the Bruins up 2 goals. IMO that is the the perfect time for Lucic (or anybody) to lose their mind, drop somebody, and/or get thrown out. In this case it served a purpose, with very little downside.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:02 PM
  #35
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever
 
bobbyorr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,985
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I'm not arguing justified versus unjustified. Was a crappy situation for him to be in and considering like VeddarRants said, its his M.O. Calls get missed, its human error and it happens every which way throughout the league.

I could be wrong here though as it seems most here disagree with me. Personally I think it's way more bad*** to get up, get out there on the next shift, score a goal and completely demoralize a team than to put yourself in a shorthanded situation.
Sorry, but Lucic had to send a message, not only to the opposing team for backstabbing, but also to the refs for not calling a penalty for a 'hit from behind' on Weaver. The refs are quick to penalize Lucic and Chara, but are reluctant to call a penalty when they take cheap shots. Besides that, it's time for the Bruins to start playing like the Bruins again.

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
  #36
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Most NHL refs aren't Chris Lee. You blow a call that badly that could have resulted in a career being altered, take your berating and ref the game.
The non call has literally no impact on what Lucic did. He didn't take the time to notice that Lee's arm wasn't up he skated over and did what he did. If there was a call on Weaver Lucic would of at best matched the penalty and negated a potential pp.

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:05 PM
  #37
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
The non call has literally no impact on what Lucic did. He didn't take the time to notice that Lee's arm wasn't up he skated over and did what he did. If there was a call on Weaver Lucic would of at best matched the penalty and negated a potential pp.
Well the non-call resulted in it being a 4 minute pp and not a 2, and I'm guessing once Lucic figured out he was the only one going off it led to the 10 so no, I think you're completely off when you say he put himself in the box for 25% of the game needlessly.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:06 PM
  #38
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
The non call has literally no impact on what Lucic did. He didn't take the time to notice that Lee's arm wasn't up he skated over and did what he did. If there was a call on Weaver Lucic would of at best matched the penalty and negated a potential pp.
They blow whistles when they call penalties.

Poor Lucic. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Bruins fans continue to amaze me.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
  #39
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 6,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Angry/Engaged Lucic was in the penalty box for 25% of the game. How does that make him dominant?
Yup. Like I was saying, he's too valuable to be sitting the Penalty Box. He's a first line winger who's playing so well offensively to not take himself off the ice for extended periods of time and force the B's to kill long penalties. I've been extremely impressed with his offensive game so the extraneous stuff needs to stop.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
  #40
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
The non call has literally no impact on what Lucic did. He didn't take the time to notice that Lee's arm wasn't up he skated over and did what he did. If there was a call on Weaver Lucic would of at best matched the penalty and negated a potential pp.
Have zero problem with what Lucic did. Would've though, had he done nothing.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:11 PM
  #41
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
They blow whistles when they call penalties.

Poor Lucic. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Bruins fans continue to amaze me.
Actually they blow the whistle when the penalized team touches the puck. Krejci was in possession after the hit. Damned if he does what? Takes 14 more penalty minutes that the guy who hit him? I love the passion and the fire but you need to keep your cool.

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
  #42
bruinmann77
Registered User
 
bruinmann77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bronx ny
Country: United States
Posts: 5,636
vCash: 500
If the refs make the right call then Lucic does not go off.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:13 PM
  #43
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
No, it's been your MO to knock on Lucic for years. An angry, pissed off Lucic is a by-product of being the best power forward in the business. He wouldn't be who he is today without it. There was no penalty called, no PP for the Bruins, and Lucic extracting some sort of physical revenge after a dirty hit is what any red-blooded power forward SHOULD do.

Name me one great PF who would have turned the other cheek in this instance.
Figures.

None. If the same people that complain a/b Lucic ever saw Terry O'Riellly or Cam Neely play. They'd probably be protesting outside the garden in a tie dye shirt humming kumbaya before games.

How many top forwards on the B's have to be on the bad end of a dirty hit. Further, be another shot to the head away from the end of their career, for people to get it. Yeah, Lucic happens to be one of our top forwards.

Same people probably complain that our PP sucks.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:13 PM
  #44
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Yup. Like I was saying, he's too valuable to be sitting the Penalty Box. He's a first line winger who's playing so well offensively to not take himself off the ice for extended periods of time and force the B's to kill long penalties. I've been extremely impressed with his offensive game so the extraneous stuff needs to stop.
Let's neuter one of the toughest players in the league. It's part of who he is, part of his game, and part of what makes him so dangerous. I have no desire to see him change that.

There are stupid penalties and I have no problem calling someone out when a guy takes a stupid, undisciplined penalty....this was not even close to that.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM
  #45
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmann77 View Post
If the refs make the right call then Lucic does not go off.
Really? because if you watch this video Lucic gets up and skates right to Weaver and cross checks him. He doesn't look at the ref or anything he skates directly to him.

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
  #46
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221
 
BigBadBruin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,033
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
The amount of people (and by that of course I mean anyone) ******** on Lucic for reacting like a person to being boarded like that is sickening.

He has every right to be pissed off, and every right to go back at the person who did it to him, PP be Goddamned.

Have any of you played a contact sport like hockey or indoor lacrosse and been drilled like that into the boards? Did you just get up, tuck your sack back, and say "Joke's on you ruffian, we'll defeat you by perhaps scoring on our manpower advantage." That has happened to me playing box, and I got up and two-handed the kid who checked me like Paul Bunyan. I'd have fought him too if I could have gotten to him through the ref (at least the ref called it when I was playing).

Point is, that's exceedingly dangerous, and to ask anybody, let alone someone like Lucic, to sit on his hands just because you think it's better for the Bruins is insane. It's not.

I'm thrilled he reacted that way. That's how the Bruins play. They don't fall all over themselves to get calls, and they hardly ever get the benefit of the doubt. You have to defend yourself, and if it takes away a PP from your team, or puts you on the PK, then so be it. It's better than just letting it happen because all that will lead to is it happening over and over again.

__________________
"The only thing that beats winning [in Toronto] is winning in Montreal.--Aaron Ward

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
  #47
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Really? because if you watch this video Lucic gets up and skates right to Weaver and cross checks him. He doesn't look at the ref or anything he skates directly to him.
I agree. PP or no PP, Lucic was going to get his 190 pounds of flesh.

What WOULD NOT have happened is the 10 minutes Lucic got for yelling at the ref. The refs make the right call, it's only a 2 minute PP for the Panthers and Lucic comes out of the box at the start of the third. Instead he has to sit the extra 10 because he was blowing a gasket over the non call.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:19 PM
  #48
KrazyLegs
Registered User
 
KrazyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westminster, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
I fully expect to get crushed here for this take but whatever

Lucic acted like an idiot in this situation. Yes he was boarded and yes it should have been a penalty. I have loved hi to engage Weaver in a fight or gotten his number and deliver a hit later in the game. All he did was put his team on the PK for 4 minutes and basically remove himself from the game because he couldn't control himself. I would expect this when he was 18 not when he is on this teams first line and counted on to actually be on this ice. He honestly looked like a moron in this situation. In the playoffs in a one goal game is he going to do the same when he gets hit like that?
Nope. Refs were incompetent. Lucic has the right not to take career-ending hits from behind. If the refs won't prevent it from happening, he has to. Unfortunately, the NHL is turning into a paradise for flopping teams and sneaky dirty squads like the Canucks and the Habs.

Would anyone have a problem if a defensive lineman in the NFL went after an OL that just took a cheapshot at his knees but wasn't called? Doubt it. This is the same type of crap. If the refs can't step up, then somebody has to.

I also find it funny that the Sabres were taken to task by fans, the media and everyone else (in Buffalo and across the country) last season for not responding to Lucic's hit on Miller. But Lucic IS taken to task for standing up for himself.


Last edited by KrazyLegs: 02-24-2013 at 08:25 PM.
KrazyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:20 PM
  #49
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
so I've tried to overlook the b.s.
No, you haven't. You're making a big deal about it now. You're calling it extraneous stuff and b.s.

Start with this. HE GOT FRICKIN BOARDED.

and when you go use nonsense like overlook the b.s. and extraneous stuff

Repeat the capitalized sentence.

He did exactly the right thing. The loser in this situation is Chris Lee (whose b.s. the NHL continually does overlook).

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
  #50
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Actually they blow the whistle when the penalized team touches the puck. Krejci was in possession after the hit. Damned if he does what? Takes 14 more penalty minutes that the guy who hit him? I love the passion and the fire but you need to keep your cool.
No matter what he does, Lucic gets **** for it. If he passes and scores, he's not being aggressive enough. If he hits, it's not hard enough. If he hits too much, he's not scoring enough. If he drops the gloves, he's being selfish. If he doesn't drop the gloves, he's not standing up for his teammates. You see it all the time on these boards, and it's ludicrous.

If somebody drives him headfirst into the boards, especially NOW, with the NHL calling players for looking at opponents cross-eyed, and there is no call, Milan Lucic is going to get pissed, and he's not going to cry to the officials about it, nor is he going to fall down and writhe around like he's been tasered. If you actually, truly want a player who's going to do that, perhaps you should follow another team. Being emotional on the ice is part of who Milan Lucic is, and if you want him neutered, you're not going to have a good player.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.