HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats your Opinion of Kesler?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

vCash: 500
kesler's value to this team is that when he's at his very best, the entire team plays with an edge that no one else on the team can bring out in them, including the sedins or luongo. and because we've all seen it before, it's frustrating as hell when kesler goes han solo or when he gets caught up with his sideshow antics. beast mode kesler is indeed the heart of this team.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
serge2k

He dives too much and needs to drop the immature garbage. He can be great but right now he looks terrible.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
I would have no problem splitting them up in game, I actually feel it would be somewhat beneficial. I wonder how teams would react ( especially in the playoffs) where teams send out 5 man units for the Sedins.
Might actually force Hanky to shoot it a bit more (although he has been shooting a bit more lately).

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM
ahmon

Kesler hasn't played hockey in a long long time.

So I would give him more time before judging him.

However, if this continues, then something needs to change.

In general though, I'll say Kesler hasn't been the same since the cup run. (injuries i know)

I've stated this before I think he tries to do too much.

He thinks hes superman, and in turn hurts the canucks more than anything.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
The Sedins were **** in the bruins series thats not even debatable. Funny how Kesler by himself was better then 2 players every series except vs the sharks
I'll just disagree since you wouldn't listen to the argument anyways. All of them were terrible.

Quote:
I dont even hate Henrik, i just find it hilarious how you only **** on Kesler Its Pathetic

Hank had 2 assist in two losses thats good enough from an nhl art ross winner? Nope
I am overly critical to those who deserve it. I have been critical of the Sedins in the past and I am being critical of Kesler now.

I may have my biases, but none of my criticism is unwarranted. It is not an irrational hate, especially considering when many others are noticing the same tendencies now as I did a year and a half ago.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
serge2k

Quote:
ha, Henrik vs Kesler in the playoffs is not even close. You take Kesler everytime.

Why are you comparing two players to one? Oh right because everything you say is out of hatred and just make arguments that dont make any sense
Unless you are playing the sharks.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Anyways im done still love you shorts haha
<3

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:01 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I may have my biases, but none of my criticism is unwarranted. It is not an irrational hate, especially considering when many others are noticing the same tendencies now as I did a year and a half ago.
Despite those "tendencies", Kesler is still a very good player who managed to get 49 points last season while obviously being nowhere near 100% for the entire season. What's wrong with that?

I think a lot of you are just expecting Kesler to be someone that he's not. He's not a perennial 40-goal scorer, nor is he a perennial 70-point player. He just doesn't have those types of offensive skills in him. He's just a really good player who maximized his offensive potential through hard work, but his type of play is really unsustainable long-term, as you've already seen.

It's a lot more likely that he settles into the 55-65 point range, while regaining his defensive game. Maybe that isn't good enough for you, but I would take that anytime of the day.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:08 PM
cutcopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Despite those "tendencies", Kesler is still a very good player who managed to get 49 points last season while obviously being nowhere near 100% for the entire season. What's wrong with that?

I think a lot of you are just expecting Kesler to be someone that he's not. He's not a perennial 40-goal scorer, nor is he a perennial 70-point player. He just doesn't have those types of offensive skills in him. He's just a really good player who maximized his offensive potential through hard work, but his type of play is really unsustainable long-term, as you've already seen.

It's a lot more likely that he settles into the 55-65 point range, while regaining his defensive game. Maybe that isn't good enough for you, but I would take that anytime of the day.
I think a lot of people know what Kesler is, a defensive stud. The beef most people have with Kesler is that he doesn't seem to know his own deficiencies.

cutcopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:09 PM

vCash: 50
Kesler is a good to great player who is being thrown in over his head rather than eased in slowly after a long layoff. No way he should be #1 PK and getting 20 minutes a night right now unless we simply don't care about the regular season and are trying to play him into game shape/speed. He is getting torched on a regular basis right now.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
I think a lot of people know what Kesler is, a defensive stud. The beef most people have with Kesler is that he doesn't seem to know his own deficiencies.
Every player has deficiencies. It is what it is. Instead of looking of his deficiencies, why not just focus on the positives in his game? There are a lot more of positives than there are negatives.

And it is not beef. It is pure hatred right now, and it is completely unwarranted.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:28 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
kesler's value to this team is that when he's at his very best, the entire team plays with an edge that no one else on the team can bring out in them, including the sedins or luongo. and because we've all seen it before, it's frustrating as hell when kesler goes han solo or when he gets caught up with his sideshow antics. beast mode kesler is indeed the heart of this team.
Agreed 100%.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:40 PM
keslerbomb

I think his 40 goal season is the worst thing that could have happened to him. He's not an elite sniper, but he seems to think he is now. His game was best when he was a 25-30 goal scorer that was elite defensively and agitated.

keslerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerbomb View Post
I think his 40 goal season is the worst thing that could have happened to him. He's not an elite sniper, but he seems to think he is now. His game was best when he was a 25-30 goal scorer that was elite defensively and agitated.
I agree with this.

I think kesler should either be used as a shutdown C primarily or moved to the wing.

Right now he is centering a line, and not fulfilling what a center should do. He is not distributing the puck and he is cheating defensively to try to produce more.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:49 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
I'd try and chase down an offensive 2c and move Kesler to 3c. Given all the 2nd and 3rd line wingers are basically the same level it wouldn't matter what the lines were called.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:52 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerbomb View Post
So after one season where he was nowhere near 100% and 6 games after coming off of a major surgery, he's not elite defensively anymore

Old
02-24-2013, 11:53 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Right now he is centering a line, and not fulfilling what a center should do. He is not distributing the puck and he is cheating defensively to try to produce more.
Or maybe he is still trying to get his feet wet after major surgery in the off-season?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Dose anyone have or know how to get the zone start %s for before and after Manny left?

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:00 AM
LiquidSnake*

Kesler will be fine. He needs to get back into shape and it's way too early to write him off.

Hate his diving antics and it's something the team needs to address with him.

Other than that, this team has opened it up a bit since he's come back and we've seen some terrible D play. Without him, the Canucks were winning with great goaltending.

When he's 100%, I think we'll see the entire team D steady out actually.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:12 AM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
He is the greatest of all time.
-Ryan Kesler

IMO Kesler needs to go back to the effort level he showed back in the days when Jobu on this board was adamant that Kesler's shot would never break a pane of glass. Also, hopefully he stops diving soon. A big part of the reputation the Canucks get is because of Kesler's diving. What happened to Gillis telling them (Burrows and Kesler) to cut that **** out along with the chirping (which they have to quite an extent)? Burrows doesn't flop as much but Kesler is still at the levels of the tumbleweed gif.

Although this is by no means a direct comparison, a lot of what we're seeing with Kesler is kind of why Ovechkin isn't as good anymore. When you play that "balls to the wall", it's hard to remain that way forever. Beast mode as some are calling it in this thread. Especially coming off an injury. Although, I guess you could also argue the difference between Kesler and other players IMO is that he doesn't choose to play a more cerebral game instead, but continues to try and play his 110% effort level style of play, when he physically is unable to, meaning he needs to slow down his play.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:44 AM
fava

time to trade Kesler while he still holds some value

fava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:03 AM
TheBrockBoesMonster
3rd overall? Nope!

We could get a metric ton with a Kesler + Schneider package.

I bet Kesler/Schneider/Prospect/1st gets us Ovechkin.

TheBrockBoesMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:23 AM
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys

I won't say he is our "best player" but in the same way that Mike Richards took that Kings team to the next level, he is the player that takes use from a one line team to a complete team. He is the epitome of our "swagger" and the yang to the Sedin's yin.

Is he fully back yet? No. When he does get back does he give us the most complete 1-2 punch down the middle in the league? I would argue yes.

94eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eleven View Post
I won't say he is our "best player" but in the same way that Mike Richards took that Kings team to the next level, he is the player that takes use from a one line team to a complete team. He is the epitome of our "swagger" and the yang to the Sedin's yin.

Is he fully back yet? No. When he does get back does he give us the most complete 1-2 punch down the middle in the league? I would argue yes.
Uhhh...Crosby and Malkin?

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:45 AM
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Uhhh...Crosby and Malkin?
I specifically said most complete and not best for that reason.

94eleven is offline   Reply With Quote