HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

DIY Passing buddy I made for ~$20. Instructions/Video/Pics inside.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
DIY Passing buddy I made for ~$20. Instructions/Video/Pics inside.

You can use this to pass to yourself and practice one timers into a net. I made it 24 inches wide because it lets you practice more kinds of passes. You learn to test the areas of the passer. You pass to one area it will send it to your feet, another area and you'll have to stretch for it. This lets you practice both of those.

Materials: (I ended up with enough extra wood, staples, bungee cords, foam, to make a whole other pass buddy. All I would need are some more brackets.)

1. 4 large brackets + screws (~$6 at Home Depot)

2. 4 small brackets + screws (~$3 at Home Depot)

3. Extra screws, longish because you're going to be attaching two separate pieces of wood to each other. Gotta go through one and into the other.

4. Insulation foam. (~$4 at Lowes)

5. 1 long piece of square wood. Cut into 12, 12, and 24 inch pieces. (~$2 at Lowes)

6. 1 long piece of elongated board wood. Cut into 24 inch pieces. (~$3 at Lowes)

7. Bungee cord

8. Wood staples

Pretty simple, you just put the 24 inch piece as the back piece, attach the two 12 inch pieces at each end and reinforce it with the large brackets on the inside and outside. The board on the top is to keep the puck from flipping up on you. It's not completely necessary but I found it very helpful.

Attach the long board to the main piece with the longer screws and with the small brackets for more reinforcement. Place the strip of foam on the front end of the long board. This keeps the puck from splintering the wood when you hit it, which you will sometimes.

Stretch the bungee cord across the front, at about the height of the middle of the puck. Use a couple wood staples on each end to keep it in place. I also used some rope I had on the ends of the bungee cord to keep it in place. I also put some pieces of foam on the front ends of the two 12 inch pieces, because they get hit sometimes too.

If you're really OCD about it, you can also use wood glue on all the joints. I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhcdtoaUelw
I put a 20 pound weight on top to keep it from moving.

http://i.imgur.com/FDQl1kO.jpg - Top
http://i.imgur.com/y3Kg5RQ.png - Side
http://i.imgur.com/BRWApjT.png - Front, notice the foam.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:21 AM
BmxHockey

Green biscuit? That sound is too familiar.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
AIREAYE

Green biscuits are absolutely phenomenal. Good work

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
mistrhanky

... and now I have a Sunday project...

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
flyers10

Nice job. Have you tried it with a regular puck? How'd it work?

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:56 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Mucho respects! That's awesome, wish I didn't live in an apartment sometimes..

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I made one too that's a lot less elaborate. Only trouble was finding cheap weight to keep it grounded.

I usually put a couple of dumbells on it, but it's annoying because I have to deploy it every time.

First world problems.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:06 PM
mistrhanky

I built one yesterday. Slightly different frame design but same idea. I have a top that goes over it fully and I just drop a back of rock salt on top of it and it does the trick. Only adjustment I had to make was that I made mine 36" across and found the standard size bungy was a little too short. I grabbed a Highlands wide band from a tractor supply place and it works great. It is a 30" bungy stretched over a 36" frame so it has a nice tight snap back. I think this will help me to get some stick time every night even if it is just simple forehand/backhand mechanics. Best of all, my son really loves it... and he never wants to practice:-)

Oh, and yeah, the Green Biscuit rocks. Feels perfect.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote