HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 5, Lightning 3

Old
02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
What about Conacher running around in 89. ****ing disgrace!
Conacher at least has a shot at being an impact player and his numbers outside the NHL reflect that. Panik wearing 71 is like Dupuis wearing 96, except sillier.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
SidTheKid8787

+Sutter
+Bennett
+Sid's line
+Martin
+Letang
+Vitale

-the majority of systems of this hockey club.

Individual efforts are great but this team is a mess systematically.(in terms of defensive structure, playing with the lead, clean breakouts)

Whether they are "working on it" still or DB and crew just don't know how to teach that aspect of the game, that remains to be seen and answered as we go along here.

Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 02-24-2013 at 09:37 PM.
SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:32 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Conacher at least has a shot at being an impact player and his numbers outside the NHL reflect that. Panik wearing 71 would be like Dupuis wearing 96, except sillier.
Hahaha yeah, good call. Nick Foligno on Ottawa is another one, what a clown.

edit: apparently he's on Columbus now, shows just why he shouldn;t wear that.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:33 PM
D Heinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
+ Team cycling - One of the better efforts we've had all year with cycling the puck
100% agree. Well, in the 1st and middle of the 3rd at least

+ Fleury - It's unfair he takes such a hit in goals against this game because he deserved better. The team let him down defensively.
I'm glad that you brought this up. He stood up for us like he should. Not a huge game, but he was big when he had to be

- Despres - I thought he was taking too long to make decisions with the puck and it almost cost him a few times.
You really think so? I think he had a bonehead play or two, but so did Niskinen and Orpik. I think he had at the least an = game

- Sutter - He had I thought a great third period but his first two periods were pretty terrible. he kept bobbling pucks and turning them over.
Ah no! A minus? He played big minutes agains some of the best players and the top point-getter in the league. He is snake-bit with the puck though

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Conacher at least has a shot at being an impact player and his numbers outside the NHL reflect that. Panik wearing 71 is like Dupuis wearing 96, except sillier.
seriously, explain to me why that is silly.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Til the End of Time

minus to the penguins for always letting stamkos rack up the points, while not putting sid in a position to get easy points.

in all likelihood the penguins arent going to win the cup this year. if they do, great. and regular season wins/losses... i dont really care that much. as long as they make the playoffs.

but what's more realistic is sid winning the scoring title. so damnit start helping him byslma.

his linemates are already embarassing enough, don't handicap him more.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I'll preface this by saying this may sound like a homer comment but:

Watching Stamkos tonight and I still see him as a top 5 guy, not a top 3 player. He just makes miserable decisions with thr puck and seems to always get flukes points.

Love the player, love his shot but if you watched this game and feel he is as good as 87 or 71 and a few others, well not sure what to say.

I really see him as a Brett Hull, who will have some really crazy stats but never will dominate a playoff series like the greats.
I basically agree. I thought Sid played a much more complete game than Stammer did tonight.

Stamkos is a joy to watch on the powerplay, though. I can only imagine what he'd do with Crosby feeding him. I guess we might get to see that next year. As a hockey fan I'm looking forward to that, though not so much as a team USA fan.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:34 PM
KIRK

Quote:

Watching Stamkos tonight and I still see him as a top 5 guy, not a top 3 player. He just makes miserable decisions with thr puck and seems to always get flukes points.

Love the player, love his shot but if you watched this game and feel he is as good as 87 or 71 and a few others, well not sure what to say.

I really see him as a Brett Hull, who will have some really crazy stats but never will dominate a playoff series like the greats.
I reached the same conclusion last year.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Why are you always so chill about everything. You gotta get angry sometimes!

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
+Sid
+Martin
+Fleury
+DreamBeaut
+Vitale

-Orpik
-TK
-Malkin was invisible

+Disco giving BB a shot on the 5 on 3 and on the overall line construction.
Way to make it sting.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:35 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Hahaha yeah, good call. Nick Foligno on Ottawa is another one, what a clown.

edit: apparently he's on Columbus now, shows just why he shouldn;t wear that.
Haha, exactly what I think about that guy.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
minus to the penguins for always letting stamkos rack up the points, while not putting sid in a position to get easy points.

in all likelihood the penguins arent going to win the cup this year. if they do, great. and regular season wins/losses... i dont really care that much. as long as they make the playoffs.

but what's more realistic is sid winning the scoring title. so damnit start helping him byslma.
I hope Bylsma literally never even looks at the score sheet when making coaching decisions. never ever. Play the game. If he wins the scoring race, great.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
+Sutter
+Bennett
+Sid's line
+Martin
+Letang
+Vitale

Individual efforts are great but this team is a mess systematically.( in terms of defensive structure, playing with the lead, clean breakouts)

Whether they are "working on it" still or DB and crew just don't know how to teach that aspect of the game, that remains to be seen and answered as we go along here.
Pretty much sums it up . . . you'll get your answer starting in late April.

Old
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post

I'm pretty sure we historically own Stamkos. We shut him down almost every game against him last year iirc.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Why are you always so chill about everything. You gotta get angry sometimes!
seriously, I hear it all the time about the numbers. I want someone to tell me WHY Pascal Dupuis wearing number 96 would be silly. I don't think it can be done because its completely ridiculous to care about

Old
KIRK

Anyone else get indigestion any time the puck got anywhere near Brooks Orpik's stick?

Old
D Heinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
+Sutter
+Bennett
+Sid's line
+Martin
+Letang
+Vitale

Individual efforts are great but this team is a mess systematically.( in terms of defensive structure, playing with the lead, clean breakouts)

Care to elaborate? We see a lot of criticism of HCDB systems, but not a lot of specifics to back it up. I loved his forechecking schematic tonight. His offensive zone gameplan was very good, played to our strengths and Tampa's weaknesses. His direction of the defense to pinch the puck-carrier in and the left-wing to cover the center drive worked well too.

What didn't work was his neutral-zone play and the breakout under pressure. I like that we don't do the stretch-pass as much, but we are losing too many puck battles on the high-wall.

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
I hope Bylsma literally never even looks at the score sheet when making coaching decisions. never ever. Play the game. If he wins the scoring race, great.
Yes, agreed, though like I said in the GDT, I don't see how Glass, Adams, or whoever are any better defensively than Crosby is.

To me you should be able to have the best of both worlds since having Crosby out sacrifices no defense at all since he's very responsible.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:37 PM
bradshaw06

the 4th line out against stamkos line. i dont understand it, did the same against giroux and philly and got burned.

bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yes, agreed, though like I said in the GDT, I don't see how Glass, Adams, or whoever are any better defensively than Crosby is.

To me you should be able to have the best of both worlds since having Crosby out sacrifices no defense at all since he's very responsible.
having him on the ice is fine. and we did.

Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Guys who wear odd numbers do so as a way to be seen as different. If you're Pat Kane, that's probably merited because a guy like him does stand out from the pack. If you're Richard Panik, well, throw a rock at any AHL team and you'll hit 5 of him.

Old
hctopcheds11

Quote:
I basically agree. I thought Sid played a much more complete game than Stammer did tonight.

Stamkos is a joy to watch on the powerplay, though. I can only imagine what he'd do with Crosby feeding him. I guess we might get to see that next year. As a hockey fan I'm looking forward to that, though not so much as a team USA fan.
Oh absolutely and I like Stamkos's game too. To me, he may be the elite PP player in the game (between him, Taveras and Geno when he's rollin).

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we historically own Stamkos. We shut him down almost every game against him last year iirc.
Lol I was thinking of writing that, but people will believe what the want to believe.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:39 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:

I don't know if he can create offense better than an average top-6 player. He has the best shot in the league but he seemed to lose control of the puck relatively often and doesn't display great playmaking abilities. He is quite reliant on his teammates feeding him the puck.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
having him on the ice is fine. and we did.
Only once we got the two goal lead. Bylsma trusts his fourth liners over Sid with 1 goal leads. To me, that doesn't make sense.