HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 5, Lightning 3

Old
02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
WarriorScholar

vCash: 500
Bylsma must have been a bit self conscious as a player, being that he wants a team filled with grinders. And favors them over everyone else.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Bennett is NHL ready. He's doing everything right and excelling.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:17 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I'm really happy about Bennett's goal. I saw him score a really similar one in Wilkes-Barre.

I'm getting a little misty.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
WarriorScholar

Its just great to have another player that I'm excited to see take a shift other than geno/Sid. Bennett is staying up.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Bennett is NHL ready. He's doing everything right and excelling.
I think he's playing very well, and his game has been par for the course. I don't think he's been bad and he makes the smart plays, but I don't think he's excelling. Just steady. Steady is good. This play this year will see him excel next year.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Jacob

I think why I'm in favor of Bennett staying up is because of how sound he looks without the puck. He just fits into the system well and his defensive abilities are a real surprise to me. Gotta give credit to Hynes & Nasreddine for that, I'm sure.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Penguinzilla

+ Crosby. He needs to shoot more. He can score at will.
+ Bennett

- Stamkos 2nd assist. Lol... I know the NHL hands out assists like free samples at SAMs club, but he shot the puck and Fluery saved it, it bounced around the boards to the point, then some dude shoots it and it deflects in. Ok, that's not a pass.
- Pierre McGuire. Well, he always sucks, but he said something like "Stamkos took control and is dominating". heh, he got a 5 on 3 goal and 2 cheap assists. Not complaining, all players get cheap assists, but Pierre sucks
- Dupuis. Just one game but kinda funny he was worthless without Crosby on his line. Time to bash Dupuis again (kidding)

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
HeroicKaizer
I am Legend

Not the best defensive effort by the Pens but the 2 points is good for us especially how tight everything is in the East. I think we gotta do a better job in our end. We arent getting the puck out of defensive zone which creates chances for opposing teams to score on us. We can score goals ofc but we shouldnt depend on that esp now with Geno out of the line up. If we can address that, we can be a more consistent team able to stay atop of the East.

HeroicKaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Funk311

+ Noticeable game from the 4th line tonight. Love Vitale whomping Hall in a spirited battle. Liked how they moved north quickly and put some body on the tampa D. They earned ice tonight.

- TK, a guy i really used to believe was a good additional to almost any 3rd line in the league, has really lost his game. he is paul martining '11-'12, which is now the universal standard for underachieving relative to your established expectations. To truly be a PM1112 you must decel in all facets of the game, and make poor decisions both with and without the puck, while not applying noticeable effort to compensate for you Hindenburg performance.

+ Speaking of which, to PM1213 is to play so unbelievably well in the year immediately following a PM1112'ing that people really have to question reality and universal truths.

+ BB on his first. Just finish easy chances and you can really stand out on this team. I hope BB and Sutter play together for awhile. Maybe with Dupes. I could see that line being effective in all 3 zones against almost all competition.

+ Kunitz. Playing great hockey within his faculties at he moment. Credit is due.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Funk311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I think why I'm in favor of Bennett staying up is because of how sound he looks without the puck. He just fits into the system well and his defensive abilities are a real surprise to me. Gotta give credit to Hynes & Nasreddine for that, I'm sure.
I always had a soft spot in my heart, and hard spot in my pants for Nasreddine

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
+ Noticeable game from the 4th line tonight. Love Vitale whomping Hall in a spirited battle. Liked how they moved north quickly and put some body on the tampa D. They earned ice tonight.

- TK, a guy i really used to believe was a good additional to almost any 3rd line in the league, has really lost his game. he is paul martining '11-'12, which is now the universal standard for underachieving relative to your established expectations. To truly be a PM1112 you must decel in all facets of the game, and make poor decisions both with and without the puck, while not applying noticeable effort to compensate for you Hindenburg performance.

+ Speaking of which, to PM1213 is to play so unbelievably well in the year immediately following a PM1112'ing that people really have to question reality and universal truths.

+ BB on his first. Just finish easy chances and you can really stand out on this team. I hope BB and Sutter play together for awhile. Maybe with Dupes. I could see that line being effective in all 3 zones against almost all competition.

+ Kunitz. Playing great hockey within his faculties at he moment. Credit is due.
TK is sucking so much he should have to wear an "ORECK" logo on his chest.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

I share a birthday with Beau Bennett, same day and year, so seeing him score his first NHL goal is kinda bittersweet. I mean we're PRACTICALLY bros, so i'm happy for him, but then again, he just scored his first NHL goal, and i'm just sitting here talking about hockey.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:04 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Conacher at least has a shot at being an impact player and his numbers outside the NHL reflect that. Panik wearing 71 is like Dupuis wearing 96, except sillier.
Koltsov wore 71, and the goal Panik scored last night was roughly 326x better than everything Koltsov ever did at this level, and it was only a decent goal.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:15 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
3 quick items:

1) Can't love Beau's first NHL goal more. That kid is so enjoyable. He's definitely someone you just want to root for.

2) Paul Martin is a beast. I think he does a damn good job and I STILL can't believe how much he changed.

3) I can't take this team seriously until they learn how to not give up leads. It's embarrassing. I know we didn't "technically" give up the lead tonight, but we are embarrassing at losing leads. Here is a stat for you..... 5 out of 13 times in the last year + we have lost 2 goal leads to Philly. 5 out of 13. Just take a look at this season, too. No lead is safe because we blow them all. It's ****ing terrible.

It's such an issue right now. We have no safe lead. It used to be a lock with a 1 goal lead because we would keep attacking all game long. Now I cannot trust this team and they just let teams back in it. It's a serious problem because it happens SO often. I cannot stress how big of an issue this will be in the playoffs.

I don't care what happens, I want the team to stress the importance of keeping a lead. Without it, we will be an early round exit. I guarantee you.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Minor down.... mostly because I hoped for more....Dustin Jeffrey. I thought he looked a step slow out there. Kennedy's puck handling did not help him, or Bennett for that matter, but Jeffrey has to have high intensity if playing 3C in this league.

He gets to the right areas and did his duty positionally on the defensive side, but he never succeeded in creating anything for himself or his line mates that I can recall when in the offensive zone.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Minor down.... mostly because I hoped for more....Dustin Jeffrey. I thought he looked a step slow out there. Kennedy's puck handling did not help him, or Bennett for that matter, but Jeffrey has to have high intensity if playing 3C in this league.

He gets to the right areas and did his duty positionally on the defensive side, but he never succeeded in creating anything for himself or his line mates that I can recall when in the offensive zone.
As much as I don't believe DJ has the tools, I blame TK for this. I was one of the biggest TK fans since he came to Pittsburgh. The kid battled and won almost all of 'em. I just can't believe I'm watching the demise of a 26 year old. I would be shocked if he's even in the NHL in 2 years for how bad he's playing. He's just AWFUL. He can't win a battle. He turns the puck over. He doesn't forecheck or backcheck well anymore. He literally does NOTHING on the ice. ****ing Miro Satan holds more value on the ice (Yes.. exaggeration) than TK at this point. I just can't believe I'm watching his career end up like that.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I hear TK has blue ear disease.... maybe that's the explanation?

Old
02-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
As much as I don't believe DJ has the tools, I blame TK for this. I was one of the biggest TK fans since he came to Pittsburgh. The kid battled and won almost all of 'em. I just can't believe I'm watching the demise of a 26 year old. I would be shocked if he's even in the NHL in 2 years for how bad he's playing. He's just AWFUL. He can't win a battle. He turns the puck over. He doesn't forecheck or backcheck well anymore. He literally does NOTHING on the ice. ****ing Miro Satan holds more value on the ice (Yes.. exaggeration) than TK at this point. I just can't believe I'm watching his career end up like that.
Kind of makes you wonder how much Staal was carrying him, even last year. That of course doesn't even begin to explain all of it, but I just can't remember him ever being this bad.

Wes C Addle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
+Great first period. Although the score might have had more to do with Lindback having a poor outing than the Pens actually dominating. But in either case, they played well enough in the first and had a huge lead because of it.

+Crosby. He was flying tonight. No Geno? No problem. Sid carried the offense tonight. It just kind of sucks he doesn't get many points on empty net goals. Minor thing, but the odd EN goal or assist could mean the difference in the scoring title.

+Martin. Where was this guy last season? Besides from playing strong defense, he actually looks *gasp* dangerous on offensive rushes this year.

+Bennett's first NHL goal. It's early, but it kind of hinted at what we might hopefully see on the PP for years to come. Sid on the right faceoff circle with a cross ice pass to Bennett, who one-times it into the gaping cage.

-Sloppy play. Pens' puck management was pretty bad, especially (surprise, surprise) after they got the big lead. I counted a few times when the Pens turned over the puck right at their blueline, plus some errant passes to no one in particular.

-Despres. Didn't think he had a very good game. Especially in the defensive zone, his decision making about what to do when he had the puck was a bit iffy.

-Stamkos getting 3 points. Sid could have taken over the scoring lead tonight.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
Kind of makes you wonder how much Staal was carrying him, even last year. That of course doesn't even begin to explain all of it, but I just can't remember him ever being this bad.
There have been plenty of times where Kennedy needed no carrying and indeed was a huge part in the success of that line.

But as Cole says, if he doesn't win battles and is a turnover machine, then his value plummets to the point that he has negative value.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:11 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
2) Brooks Orpik is not playing good hockey right now. He's struggling to make a pass and I've lost track of how many times "his guy" has been free around the net to pick up the garbage... in just the past week. I don't know if he's injured or what, because he had a great start to the season, but he's been one of the weak links recently.

5) Tyler Kennedy is just a mess. I'm not necessarily on the "trade him" bandwagon - I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him moved for a better player... - but he needs to be sat. This is a situation where it's just a snowball effect: bad play, forcing it, coaches talking to him, fans and media getting on him, confidence is gone, just can't get out of his own way. It won't end pretty if they keep throwing him out there 13:00 a game.
I know it's a VERY difficult decision with Brooks right now, and we will likely have to keep him through this year's playoffs. But keeping him much past the draft would be a mistake, given that his game/durability is declining (or stagnating at the least), and his trade value won't get any better as he gets closer to UFA. And we'll have other guys next year who need to get his spot into the line-up -- and hopefully a forward like Perry or Iginla to get his cap space! And if the latter scenario happens, I'm more than OK to say see you later TK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
4) Derek Engelland has been struggling recently. Not sure what it is. Not retrieving the puck well and making some questionable decisions.

There's only one reason in the world right now that Engo can appear to be struggling, which he does appear to do, and it's because of the following: one game he is being paired up in his natural position on the right side, but with a rookie in Despres who does not play a simple game. The other half of the time, Engo is playing his off-side, but with a more steady Bortuzzo. So Engo is in flux right now of being either in a new position with a new partner, or simply being with an inexperienced, rookie partner who is still prone to mistakes and over-complicating things with his play.

I love the potential I see in Despres, but if we're looking at winning this season, it (A) makes you realize that even if Orpik isn't playing great, he's still very safe and good at moving the puck up the ice when he gets it (where he's weak is in his coverage/position in front of his net at times, or offensively). Bortuzzo is clearly ready, and I would like to see him get consistent action. But that will necessitate Engo playing his off-side, which just means there will be some learning curve and inconsistency from last season's Mr. Consistent.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:13 AM
EVGENIMERLIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

3) I can't take this team seriously until they learn how to not give up leads. It's embarrassing. I know we didn't "technically" give up the lead tonight, but we are embarrassing at losing leads. Here is a stat for you..... 5 out of 13 times in the last year + we have lost 2 goal leads to Philly. 5 out of 13. Just take a look at this season, too. No lead is safe because we blow them all. It's ****ing terrible.

It's such an issue right now. We have no safe lead. It used to be a lock with a 1 goal lead because we would keep attacking all game long. Now I cannot trust this team and they just let teams back in it. It's a serious problem because it happens SO often. I cannot stress how big of an issue this will be in the playoffs.

I don't care what happens, I want the team to stress the importance of keeping a lead. Without it, we will be an early round exit. I guarantee you.
I agree with this 100%. They can't hang on to a lead to save their life, and it haunts them. It's the biggest issue this team has. Steigy mentioned earlier in the season the Pens wanted to try and get as many shut outs as possible this year in order to have a better mindset when it came to protecting leads. Well it hasn't worked at all. I don't judge Bylsma from his playoff record, but I do judge him on this. It's a MAJOR FLAW. FIX. IT.

EVGENIMERLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
MeticulouslyDishevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
DB just said he liked how the 4th line played against the top line vs Tampa says we will see it more. DB has to be the dumbest coach in the NHL
I remember during the game that Pierre/Doc mentioned a few times about how Disco wanted our 4th line against Tampa's top line. If it was any other team I would have thought that they had misspoken, but of course they didn't in this case.

MeticulouslyDishevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Candyman

People questioning Orpiks play of late, just curious. do you see Bortuzzo as his long term replacement?

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The game had the look of a Flyers/Pens game in some ways with the sloppy play and a lot of momentum swings. Difference is the Flyers usually win those kind of games against us and Tampa didn't. I'm not a fan of games like this or the Flyers games but I could see them being entertaining from a neutral POV.

Beau knows 5 on 3's. Nice to see him get his first in the NHL.

I can't believe this is the same Paul Martin. Shero said in an interview over the summer that a lot of our fans just hadn't got to see the Paul Martin that was such a good player in New Jersey. Looks like we are finally getting to see that guy.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote