HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 5, Lightning 3

Old
02-25-2013, 10:02 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holotypic View Post
Why Vitale ever gets scratched is beyond me, his game is so perfect for the type of player he is.
I don't completely understand it myself. It's no shocker that the 4th line always looks better with him in the lineup.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
BigBadBoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post

12. Did you really expect anything different from Kunitz-Sid-Neal? I didn't.

In sum (wrote this elsewhere): I, for one, see KCN dominating too. I have questions about the defense, questions about Fleury, questions about the mix. BUT, IMO, Ray Shero should only have two objectives this trade deadline: One is a top six winger, and the other is a top six winger. He does that, and anything is possible.

Imagine if the pressure Sid with two good wingers exerted tonight could've been followed by Geno with two good wingers. The only time this team ever came close to that was 2008 (Hossa + Dupuis cumulatively equaled two good wingers). That team just steamrolled the East in the playoffs and only succumbed to the rookie cup jitters and an injured Geno in the finals.
I'm getting excited just by thinking of that scenario. I can't think of one single team that could handle that kind of firepower. Unfortunately I think Shero will make us all disappointed by bringing in a couple over the hill rentals as 'top six wingers'

BigBadBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holotypic View Post
Why Vitale ever gets scratched is beyond me, his game is so perfect for the type of player he is.
There are plenty of 4th liners throughtout the league I would prefer over Vitale. They would contribute more and could shutdown & frustrate someone like a Claude Giroux's line far better. Vitale is a dime a dozen player easily replaceable.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:58 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
IWC Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
There are plenty of 4th liners throughtout the league I would prefer over Vitale. They would contribute more and could shutdown & frustrate someone like a Claude Giroux's line far better. Vitale is a dime a dozen player easily replaceable.
Yeah... I can't take this post seriously.

Name me one team that puts out their 4th line ON PURPOSE against a top line.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
IcedCapp
Gambling Alcoholic

Quote:
?

Underrated: if you look at players with more than, say, 64 face-offs (in other words, people with a good sample size) Joe Vitale IS THE BEST FACE OFF MAN IN THE LEAGUE.

He's winning 66.7% of his draws over 141 opportunities.

STATUE.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
JQR
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
?

Underrated: if you look at players with more than, say, 64 face-offs (in other words, people with a good sample size) Joe Vitale IS THE BEST FACE OFF MAN IN THE LEAGUE.

He's winning 66.7% of his draws over 141 opportunities.

STATUE.
In other words, it's hard to say Scotty Gomez is better than Joe.

JQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
IcedCapp
Gambling Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
In other words, it's hard to say Scotty Gomez is better than Joe.
YES EXACTLY! But 64 face-off attempts at this point in the season means he's taking 3-4 per game. Not really that many. JOE on the other hand, is taking more than double that per game. And as we've seen, Disco isn't afraid to make those key defensive-zone face-offs.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
gordie

By the way I forgot to mention the dumb penalties Vitale is likely to commit in the most critical of situations.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
IcedCapp
Gambling Alcoholic

Quote:
By the way I forgot to mention the dumb penalties Vitale is likely to commit in the most critical of situations.
He has 2 minor penalties on the year...?

Old
02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
JQR
Glassic

Quote:
As evidenced by his grand total of 9 PIM? 5 of which were from his fight last night?

Last edited by JQR: 02-25-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Deleted Passive/Aggressive Sniping... it is becoming increasingly difficult...
Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
As evidenced by his grand total of 9 PIM? 5 of which were from his fight last night?
Talking about playoff games. Some people on this site are sure in love with a scrub like Vitale. Here's a question for you. If Dan Bylsma wasn't the coach here in Pittsburgh would Vitale even be on the NHL roster? Would he even be in the NHL here or anywhere else??

Last edited by shureshot66: 02-25-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: QEP
Old
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya I keep telling myself that, but then I see his work, especially on the cycle, and shake my head.

This isn't a pimp Vitale agenda, but when you take him off that line, Adams and Glass look scary slow and avg on the cycle. What if Vitale gets hurt, promoted, etc?

Now DB is talking about using them as a shutdown line. Did he get a concussion or was it Malkin? Adams and Glass will be pissed all over by lines that can skate. I still have nightmares about how badly Adams was able to handle Toronto's speed last season.

Adams and Glass are what they are.... Physical players with decent straight ahead speed, but their change of direction/lack of speed limits their ability to defend agt talented players.

They are offensively ******** and without Vitale their ability to sustain a cycle is avg at best. I think one of Adams/Glass with Vitale and another physical, hustling player who can skate would make a big difference in the capabilities of that line.
I probably sound like a broken record, but adding Bobby Farnham to that line would make it a lot faster and harder to play against.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Talking about playoff games. Some people on this site are sure in love with a scrub like Vitale. Here's a question for you. If Dan Bylsma wasn't the coach here in Pittsburgh would Vitale even be on the NHL roster? Would he even be in the NHL here or anywhere else??
Yes, he would.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

- to the number of football-related movie clips that are played during games. When you see high school quarterback James van der Beek and replacement QB Keanu Reaves more on the big screen of a hockey game than U.S. Olympic coach Kurt Russel, there is something seriously wrong.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
D Heinze

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that HCDB agrees with you. That is why we are seeing Vitale play 1/2 of the games and only 10 minutes TOI/G. In fact, noone has less TOI/G than Vitale. Including Adams/Glass. Both you and Bylsma seem to prefer Adams, Glass and Kennedy over him.
Though, I do with that Jeffery could take a bite out of Kennedy's TOI too

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
JQR
Glassic

Quote:
Talking about playoff games.
Career NHL Playoff games: 4
Total PIM: 12
All 12 minutes were received on April 18, 2012. The Pens defeated the Flyers 10-3 that night.
Quote:
If Dan Bylsma wasn't the coach here in Pittsburgh would Vitale even be on the NHL roster?
Yes.
Quote:
Would he even be in the NHL here or anywhere else??
Yes.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
IWC Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Is this one of the worst troll jobs of all time? The guy had 2 penalties that we all screamed were BS calls. If you watch the game - you would clearly see that.

I would hate to see your thoughts on Neal/Geno for their penalty issues.

In all of 11-12 season, Lord Vitale only had 13 minors.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
Not only do I hate this argument (the coach shouldn't worry about padding his players' stats, only winning), but you're flat out wrong. Crosby, Neal, and Kunitz were on the ice for the last shift of the game when Tampa had their goalie pulled. Neal even tried to get the puck to Crosby for the empty-netter but he couldn't connect.
Did you even watch the last 2 minutes cause if you did you would have noticed him not being on the ice. His line was on the ice with about 2:30 left in the game which they iced the puck and led to a timeout. The Bolts did not pull Garon at that point and after us getting out of the zone there was a line change done. Nice try next time watch the ending

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Did you even watch the last 2 minutes cause if you did you would have noticed him not being on the ice. His line was on the ice with about 2:30 left in the game which they iced the puck and led to a timeout. The Bolts did not pull Garon at that point and after us getting out of the zone there was a line change done. Nice try next time watch the ending
I think you're the one who should watch the ending. Pens scored with about 51 secs remaining, and Crosby played the rest of the game after that. The Bolts pulled their goalie again, which means that Crosby was on the ice probably something like 40 seconds facing an empty net. Nice try, next time watch the ending.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Vitale is probably the one Penguins player this year who is justifiably free of criticism. He has played up to and beyond his role. Crosby scores but has been a turnover machine with his drop passes, Malkin is the least disciplined player in the league, Letang has been terrible at the point, Kennedy is Kennedy, Neal takes some stupid penalties as well.

If there are two Penguins that I say have performed admirably, it's Vitale and Paul Martin. The latter is an incredible surprise.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I'd also say the worst problem for this team isn't roster or even systemic (powerplay notwithstanding): it's mental toughness. Every second period it's like Bylsma is dropping Ambien in the water bottles. Part of his job is keeping the team prepared and focused and that has been LACKING. And it's fine in the regular season, we'll probably finish either 1st or 4th in the conference, but then we'll see what real teams play like in April and get booted again.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
I think you're the one who should watch the ending. Pens scored with about 51 secs remaining, and Crosby played the rest of the game after that. The Bolts pulled their goalie again, which means that Crosby was on the ice probably something like 40 seconds facing an empty net. Nice try, next time watch the ending.
He should have been on the ice from the start, not at the end in this case which the Bolts decided to pull Garon again. I know he was on the ice at the end, point is he should have been there from the moment the Bolts pulled Garon, and that goes for Geno as well when he's playing

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Quote:
He should have been on the ice from the start, not at the end in this case which the Bolts decided to pull Garon again. I know he was on the ice at the end, point is he should have been there from the moment the Bolts pulled Garon, and that goes for Geno as well when he's playing
Oh, so now we're moving the goalposts?

Your original post:

Quote:
I don't understand why the **** Bylsma doesn't put out our leading scorers on the ice with the empty net. He could have played Sid last night and hoped for the Hat Trick. Maybe it's just me but Sid and Geno are never on when the other net is open late in the game, I mean playoffs and protecting the lead it's 1 thing regular season he could let them go for it and especially when a player has a 2 goal game going for the hat trick on home ice
Fact of the matter is, he was on the ice with the empty net and he did have a chance to get the hat trick.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:23 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Vitale is probably the one Penguins player this year who is justifiably free of criticism. He has played up to and beyond his role. Crosby scores but has been a turnover machine with his drop passes, Malkin is the least disciplined player in the league, Letang has been terrible at the point, Kennedy is Kennedy, Neal takes some stupid penalties as well.

If there are two Penguins that I say have performed admirably, it's Vitale and Paul Martin. The latter is an incredible surprise.
Do you actually think that?

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I probably sound like a broken record, but adding Bobby Farnham to that line would make it a lot faster and harder to play against.
Ya, trust me I keep thinking of that scenario. Having Vitale and his clone on the same line would be a nightmare for other teams.

I'm just not seeing anything special with Glass. I know he may be more valuable in the playoffs, but having two guys who aren't great skaters on your fourth line, can be a problem.

The fourth line consistently gets trapped in their own zone for long stretches, and a big reason for that is the lack of foot speed from Adams/Glass. Their zones get stretched out and they don't cover enough ground on the wall to pinch off the point. It's frustrating to watch.

On the flip side, Vitale is always the one who initiates the forecheck and pressures the puck. He is the reason that line looks better than it is. Every time he is out that line looks a step behind.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote