HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Time Magazine: The Cost of Health Care in America

Old
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Nevermind

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Don't know why you have such a problem with CNN. They mention Twitter and user input for about 30 seconds every day on Carol Costello's "Talk Back" segment, yet they get this label as a "Twitter Network".
I find CNN and your fanatical devotion to it funny, particularly as the network itself continues to crash and burn in irrelevance.
Quote:
Best photo ever.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

If that report is accurate - non-profit hospitals sound like the poster-child for corporate corruption/rot.

Instead of reinvesting the profits wisely the executives just hire more people, buy up other hospitals as an excuse to up their compensation.

It's been a while but isn't that the first thing you learn about in a business ethics course?

Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
From the article I find the concept of these 'paymasters' amusing, in a diabolical villain sort of way.

Also is it just me or is the answer just sitting there staring everyone in the face? The author frequently talks about Medicare prices, how the people working for Medicare go in and determine exactly how much things should cost with a reasonable allowance for expenses & profit, which has frequent input from massive health care lobbyists...
So um can't they just enforce those prices on a larger scale? The work is already done, and the health care industry already has their voice constantly on the matter in Washington. Especially if you're talking about getting the currently uninsured insured, or for hospitals that want to call themselves non-profit yet rake in huge profits.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
bombers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
I find CNN and your fanatical devotion to it funny, particularly as the network itself continues to crash and burn in irrelevance.
To be fair, their crash and burn started because they were a decent news station. Viewers preferred partisan stuff from Fox and MSNBC rather than impartial news.

But to get viewers back, CNN went off the rails a bit. Too much sensationalism and lowest common denominator stuff.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
To be fair, their crash and burn started because they were a decent news station. Viewers preferred partisan stuff from Fox and MSNBC rather than impartial news.

But to get viewers back, CNN went off the rails a bit. Too much sensationalism and lowest common denominator stuff.
I don't disagree with any of what you just wrote.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
bombers15

Quote:
Okay. Just thought I needed to defend CNN. Which is a phrase I may never utter again.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
rebel diamond

A riveting and heartbreaking article. This is what needs to be passed around every time someone up here in Canada *****es about waiting times and says the Americans have it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Instead of reinvesting the profits wisely the executives just hire more people, buy up other hospitals as an excuse to up their compensation.

Matthew Yglesias at Slate raised an interesting point
, that the article goes after low-hanging fruit by taking on executive salaries without mentioning doctor salaries. Now, I concede that good doctors are more important to the health care system than an overpaid administrator with an MBA, but just because there's no political hay to be made from attacking doctors it doesn't mean they should get a free pass.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Basically what he said. CNN never had any partisan bias, so CNN ratings declined because people are stupid.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
From the article I find the concept of these 'paymasters' amusing, in a diabolical villain sort of way.

Also is it just me or is the answer just sitting there staring everyone in the face? The author frequently talks about Medicare prices, how the people working for Medicare go in and determine exactly how much things should cost with a reasonable allowance for expenses & profit, which has frequent input from massive health care lobbyists...
So um can't they just enforce those prices on a larger scale? The work is already done, and the health care industry already has their voice constantly on the matter in Washington. Especially if you're talking about getting the currently uninsured insured, or for hospitals that want to call themselves non-profit yet rake in huge profits.
The National Healthcare Act proposes to effectively do just that (and a little more) by expanding Medicare to all US residents.

It's been reintroduced in every Congress since 2003, but as yet, nothing has happened with it, and probably nothing will until we see more of Obamacare's effects.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Basically what he said. CNN never had any partisan bias, so CNN ratings declined because people are stupid.
You do know that there are better news stations that are far superior than CNN? I like looking at The Independent and Wikinews. In general, the best news sources are ones that are not really funded. Therefore, I would say ones like PBS and NPR. I also like al jazeera for the anti-american stance. Basically anything but the big american corporate giants.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I don't think you understand the level of corruption that goes on in communist governments. It's not just that your job and housing suck - it's that your life as a whole can really suck.
My life sucks in what allegedly is the best nation on Earth. Do you live in the US? Do you know how things REALLY are there? Here's what I see: Wall Street, Big Pharma, Big Prisons, too-big corporations, too many lawyers, and too many lobbyists. They need to be curbed somehow, but there is NO solution that fits the current US system.

In Communism, they'd all be rounded up, shot in the back, organs harvested, brains studied, problem solved. Their greed and money taken and redistributed as healthcare, higher education, and rent subsidies.

Quote:
You use Cuba as an example - I knew a fellow who spent some time over there as a child, because his parents were diplomats. He was quite impressed with just how excited and supportive people were at Castro's rallies - until he got up close to the front of one of them - and saw that the person leading the rally was up on a stage, and underneath the stage was someone with a machinegun pointed at the crowd. Outside of the rallies, nobody wanted to talk to him about the government - why do you think that is?
Ever see Michael Moore's "Sicko"? Cuba cares more about its people than the US does. Communism has to give penance to them, the US system sees them as objects.

Quote:
I also noticed you didn't respond to my critique of you using Brazil as an example. Are you ignoring the critique, or are you abandoning Brazil as an example? Once again - you don't want to do what these guys do for a job

If it was full time and paid a fair wage, I would do that in a heartbeat.

There is no fair and democratic solution to the US's problems. Who will be our Mao, Castro, Lenin, Kim, or Minh to force the US to cleanse those killing it and help the poor and struggling? 1 corrupt politician is better than 535.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I also like al jazeera for the anti-american stance.
Well, at least you're honest.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Oh ok, so if we pretend Brazil isn't Brazil you'd move there in a heartbeat.

Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
My life sucks in what allegedly is the best nation on Earth. Do you live in the US? Do you know how things REALLY are there? Here's what I see: Wall Street, Big Pharma, Big Prisons, too-big corporations, too many lawyers, and too many lobbyists. They need to be curbed somehow, but there is NO solution that fits the current US system.

In Communism, they'd all be rounded up, shot in the back, organs harvested, brains studied, problem solved. Their greed and money taken and redistributed as healthcare, higher education, and rent subsidies.

Ever see Michael Moore's "Sicko"? Cuba cares more about its people than the US does. Communism has to give penance to them, the US system sees them as objects.

There is no fair and democratic solution to the US's problems. Who will be our Mao, Castro, Lenin, Kim, or Minh to force the US to cleanse those killing it and help the poor and struggling? 1 corrupt politician is better than 535.
Holly mother ****er, are you serious with all of this? You are once again advocating some sort of mass cleansing of the US by killing people. You are a total madman.
Also do you actually believe that Michael Moore presents unbiased facts? I respect him for stiring the pot but I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Unlike the Time article, cynicaps' posts are a perfectly acceptable place to use to "Didn't Read LOL" gifs.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Holly mother ****er, are you serious with all of this? You are once again advocating some sort of mass cleansing of the US by killing people. You are a total madman.
If you want to find a way to punish all the evil groups suffocating the US government without what you call a "mass cleanse", I would love to hear it. Sadly there is none. Sometimes you need to break some eggs to make an omelette.

Quote:
Also do you actually believe that Michael Moore presents unbiased facts? I respect him for stiring the pot but I take what he says with a grain of salt.
What he says is the harsh truth which most are afraid to say because true liberalism is treated like leprosy in the US. America needs more people like him and he really should run for public office because he would be better than the lawyer scum clogging Washington. We need new, incorruptible voices and faces to save America.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post

Wow. In communism, it is NOT the corrupt government officials who are killed and have research performed on. It is the proletariat, the common man who is abused. You need to study history a little more.

The US has problems. None of what you are advocating would solve or even improve those problems. As for the full time, fair wage - I guarantee you that you would NOT choose to do that job for the money those guys are making. You wouldn't be buying a car with the money they make. You wouldn't be paying your medical bills. You wouldn't be owning a house.

I'm still trying to decide if you're a troll, or a sorely misinformed fanatic. I enjoy making fun of the US and teasing my American friends as much as the next Canadian, but the stuff you're peddling is just ludicrous.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Maybe your life sucks because you suck at life.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Maybe your life sucks because you suck at life.
I usually do not advocate making fun of people but this was kind of warranted.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
bombers15

Cynicaps seems like the Jebby of the Left.

I smell a fake account.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Wow. In communism, it is NOT the corrupt government officials who are killed and have research performed on. It is the proletariat, the common man who is abused. You need to study history a little more.
Why then are the poor in Communist nations better off than many in the US?

Quote:
The US has problems. None of what you are advocating would solve or even improve those problems.
What would? Please tell me? I'd love to hear since there is no democratic, constitutional way to do so.

The US is beyond repair. People need to be punished but there is no democratic way to do so. Nobody is going to mourn a few soulless lobbyists or lawyers especially when they'll save several times of the people with their organs. If corporations see people as faceless commodities, why shouldn't I?

Old
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Cynicaps seems like the Jebby of the Left.

I smell a fake account.
I dunno he sounds like a really fanatical teenager.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Kadri43

Did Cynicaps private message anyone else?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:17 PM
bombers15

Quote:
Did Cynicaps private message anyone else?
You sound like the lucky winner.