HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Time Magazine: The Cost of Health Care in America

Old
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
RonFournier

vCash: 500
It's true that a rich country like the United States shouldn't have the poverty issues it has. My roomate is a latino-american and the 3rd-world stuff that happens in non-white communities that she told me about is just unacceptable for the richest country in the world (massive gang problems, 2 families living in a 3 room appartment, bad education system, etc.)

Last edited by RonFournier: 02-26-2013 at 10:25 PM.
RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Doppler Drift

Cynicaps=

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
Why then are the poor in Communist nations better off than many in the US?
Prove that the typical poor in communist nations are better off than the typical poor in the US.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:37 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
World as a whole, yes. First world, no. The US is the worst First World nation of them all and even many Second World nations (Brazil, China, South Africa) are blowing the US out of the water.

What nation do you live in!
I hate it when people throw out this terminology without understanding what it actually means. It is a relic of the cold war, where the US and its allies were the "First World", the Soviet block was the "Second World", and everyone else (the countries that were too poor to be part of a grand military and economic coalition) were in the "Third World". It is not an economic ranking.

BTW, GDP per capita:
US - $49,800
South Africa - $11,300
Brazil - $12,000
China - $9,100

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I hate it when people throw out this terminology without understanding what it actually means. It is a relic of the cold war, where the US and its allies were the "First World", the Soviet block was the "Second World", and everyone else (the countries that were too poor to be part of a grand military and economic coalition) were in the "Third World". It is not an economic ranking.

BTW, GDP per capita:
US - $49,800
South Africa - $11,300
Brazil - $12,000
China - $9,100
I understand the numbers but that literally tells me nothing. Looking solely at the mean or median when comparing statistics is extremely ineffective. I want to know the standard deviation. I want to know if it is positively or negatively skewed or if its a normal curve (mean median and mode are all the same with + and - 1 standard deviation encompassing 68.26 % of the data). The Mean is extremely susceptible to high and low values. How clustered is the data around the mean? That kind of data would be much more effective.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Prove that the typical poor in communist nations are better off than the typical poor in the US.
  • Communist nations provide free healthcare. The US does not.
  • Communist nations provide free higher education. The US does not.
  • Communist nations have zero unemployment. The US does not and if you went to someone who was un(der)employed they'd take a sucky job over nothing.
  • Communist nations usually have running water and flush toilets for all. Not so with the US.
  • Communist nations incarcerate a lower percentage of their population than the US. They also put inmates out of their misery by killing them versus giving them indefinite sentences.
  • Though rationing of food is totally unnecessary, I would bet that starving Americans who have NO food would jump at that if given the chance.
  • Communist nations have a rich ruling elite but no ultra-rich controlling them and making things worse than the US does.
  • There is no threat of gun violence in Communist nations. In the USSA, Aurora and Sandy Hook would have never happened because Holmes and Lanza would have been committed.

It's a shame that Occupy was laughed at and petered out because they were fighting for the equality the US desperately needs. For better or worse, Communism is the one way to bring that because it rises above and eliminates the corruption which blocks it

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
  • Communist nations have zero unemployment. The US does not and if you went to someone who was un(der)employed they'd take a sucky job over nothing.
  • Communist nations usually have running water and flush toilets for all. Not so with the US.
  • Communist nations incarcerate a lower percentage of their population than the US. They also put inmates out of their misery by killing them versus giving them indefinite sentences.
  • Though rationing of food is totally unnecessary, I would bet that starving Americans who have NO food would jump at that if given the chance.
  • Communist nations have a rich ruling elite but no ultra-rich controlling them and making things worse than the US does.
  • There is no threat of gun violence in Communist nations. In the USSA, Aurora and Sandy Hook would have never happened because Holmes and Lanza would have been committed.

It's a shame that Occupy was laughed at and petered out because they were fighting for the equality the US desperately needs. For better or worse, Communism is the one way to bring that because it rises above and eliminates the corruption which blocks it
Communist countries can imprison or kill you without habeas corpus. Seriously dude, you are a ****ing IDIOT!

Old
02-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Cynicaps=
You really don't get how things are in the States. My truth is harsh.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Wow. In communism, it is NOT the corrupt government officials who are killed and have research performed on. It is the proletariat, the common man who is abused. You need to study history a little more.
This isn't true at all. Moscow Trials

Everyone who was involved with Stalin's government was in constant danger of being killed on a whim. In that sort of government, no one is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Cynicaps seems like the Jebby of the Left.

I smell a fake account.
Nah, not Jebby like. He is known for posting some nonsense and never coming back, hence the term drive by jebbying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Communist countries can imprison or kill you without habeas corpus. Seriously dude, you are a ****ing IDIOT!
Plato would endorse a philosopher king, but not necessarily an Adolph Hitler dictatorship. I don't think whether or not habeus corpus exists in a government really tells the whole story. Look at the US, habeus corpus exists so now we have the government trying to find ways around it, and they are willing to suspend it if deemed necessary.

Last edited by Vyacheslav: 02-27-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Except of course, when you disagree with anything.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
This isn't true at all. Moscow Trials

Everyone who was involved with Stalin's government was in constant danger of being killed on a whim. In that sort of government, no one is safe.

Nah, not Jebby like. He is known for posting some nonsense and never coming back, hence the term drive by jebbying

Plato would endorse a philosopher king, but not necessarily an Adolph Hitler dictatorship. I don't think whether or not habeus corpus exists in a government really tells the whole story. Look at the US, habeus corpus exists so now we have the government trying to find ways around it, and they are willing to suspend it if deemed necessary.
i read some Aristotle and I totally respect him. He had some really great ideas and I realize that he advocated a philosopher King and that democracy was one step away from tyranny or whatever he said. I also realize that habeas corpus is not guarenteed under the USA. I have been continuously critical of the NDAA, Patriot Act and now the kill lists. Governments are trying and successfully finding their way around it. I look at my country and their is no real threat against habeas corpus. I have no idea why the US has gone against this vital principle but having a dictatorship will not fix the problem. The philosopher king is a great idea but it is purely utopian. Under no circumstances should their be a dictatorship.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Yeah there can't be mass murder in communist nations, I mean those guys would all be committed!

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Jebby was not as crazy as this lunatic. Who in the hell advocates a communist dictatorship with the slaughtering of a whole generation of people?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Jebby was not as crazy as this lunatic. Who in the hell advocates a communist dictatorship with the slaughtering of a whole generation of people?
We really don't know how crazy Jebby is because his actual input has been sadly lacking.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:07 AM
bombers15

Quote:
Which is sort of why I think it could be a fake account.

But if not.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
You really don't get how things are in the States. My truth is harsh.
I know exactly how things are in the States. I also know how things are or have been in communist countries. You aren't posting any "truths", you are full of crap. You are obviously throwing out this nonsense to get a rise out of people. You won't be drawing me into your silly game.

Let's look at your recent work.

Quote:
  • [1a]Communist nations provide free healthcare. The US does not.
    [1b]Communist nations provide free higher education. The US does not.
    [2]Communist nations have zero unemployment. The US does not and if you went to someone who was un(der)employed they'd take a sucky job over nothing.
    [3]Communist nations usually have running water and flush toilets for all. Not so with the US.
    [4]Communist nations incarcerate a lower percentage of their population than the US. They also put inmates out of their misery by killing them versus giving them indefinite sentences.
    [5]Though rationing of food is totally unnecessary, I would bet that starving Americans who have NO food would jump at that if given the chance.
    [6]Communist nations have a rich ruling elite but no ultra-rich controlling them and making things worse than the US does.
    [7]There is no threat of gun violence in Communist nations. In the USSA, Aurora and Sandy Hook would have never happened because Holmes and Lanza would have been committed.

1a and 1b: Nothing is free. The State may provide those services but the money comes from someplace else (taxes, lower wages, etc). Also these countries always lack sufficient drugs, machinery and other supplies.

2: Total and utter nonsense. They have massive unemployment, the State just doesn't report it.

3: No they don't. Go to China for but one shining example. Don't even have heat or electricity a lot of the time either.

4: Many communist states incarcerate individuals for merely writing an article critical of the administration. Also imprisonment and even government executions are used to silence critics, rivals (political, business or even personal), etc.

5: Rationing of food. Hilarious. Try NO food at government stores. For weeks on end.

6: Some have violent psychopaths running their governments.

7: No, Holmes and Lanza, if they were diagnosed at all, would have been shuffled off to some hell on earth "hospital" and be left to die a slow death while receiving no treatment.

So again, by your own statements you show that you are either a troll with a sock puppet ID, or even sadder if you actually believe the tripe that you are typing, you are an abject moron.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
I know exactly how things are in the States. I also know how things are or have been in communist countries. You aren't posting any "truths", you are full of crap. You are obviously throwing out this nonsense to get a rise out of people. You won't be drawing me into your silly game.

Let's look at your recent work.

1a and 1b: Nothing is free. The State may provide those services but the money comes from someplace else (taxes, lower wages, etc). Also these countries always lack sufficient drugs, machinery and other supplies.

2: Total and utter nonsense. They have massive unemployment, the State just doesn't report it.

3: No they don't. Go to China for but one shining example. Don't even have heat or electricity a lot of the time either.

4: Many communist states incarcerate individuals for merely writing an article critical of the administration. Also imprisonment and even government executions are used to silence critics, rivals (political, business or even personal), etc.

5: Rationing of food. Hilarious. Try NO food at government stores. For weeks on end.

6: Some have violent psychopaths running their governments.

7: No, Holmes and Lanza, if they were diagnosed at all, would have been shuffled off to some hell on earth "hospital" and be left to die a slow death while receiving no treatment.

So again, by your own statements you show that you are either a troll with a sock puppet ID, or even sadder if you actually believe the tripe that you are typing, you are an abject moron.

This pretty much sums it up. I am leaning towards a troll because no one can actually believe the nonsense being spewed out.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

I doubt he's a troll, I knew a bunch of people at university like him.

I can't blame him, there's enough to be cynical about in the US that it can drive a man to drink...or espouse the ideals of communism.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I have heard some pretty crazy **** from commies in university but I have not heard someone supporting killing a whole generation of people through a dictatorship. That is clearly a little over the top. Than again, you have as you said, there are people like him.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:

I can't blame him, there's enough to be cynical about in the US that it can drive a man to drink...or espouse the ideals of communism.
The fact that he is not a troll makes it even sadder in my estimation.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ted-creek.html

Communism is great!

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Really, is anyone surprised that AP's response to an intelligent article that required several months of research, and was printed in one of the most highly regarded news magazines out there, is a Napoleon Dynamite "Didn't Read" animated gif? AP's atrocious grammar and spelling, plus his lack of interest in anything beyond the standard right wing talking points, don't exactly suggest somebody who's a voracious reader. I suspect that anything beyond the Clifford the Big Red Dog series is too much of a complex read for AP.
No. But it's not just him. Hundreds of thousands of right-wingers go through their lives refusing to listen to logic, reason, research, etc...by just dismissing the source as "the librul media". That way you can march though life being the most ignorant sumofabeech in the valley while thinking and telling anyone who'll listen you know more than everyone else. It's a miracle more of these people don't get picked off every day by a stray plastic bag blowing into their face and suffocating them, or sticking metal objects into light sockets.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

University: Where everyone knows the perfect way to fix the world, and almost all of them are wrong.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
University: Where everyone knows the perfect way to fix the world, and almost all of them are wrong.
..because, like, the corporations, man.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Just USA being USA, unfortunately we are seing more of this in Sweden too. Hospitals and healthcare are becoming worse, and profits are more and more imporant.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=se
Recomend all the sweds here to read this, it is pretty damn long tho.
Seems to be the same thing here in Finland. The difference is that our "basic" health care is top notch (same with SWE?), so it won't be apparent so quickly.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote