HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft to be Cancelled Tomorrow

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2005, 08:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
NHL Draft to be Cancelled Tomorrow

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...23_182442_5636

Guess the NHL isnt dedicated in getting that deal done ASAP.

Old
03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
bleedgreen

read the article, it says the draft may be held electronically through internet or conference calls. theyre only cancelling the event in ottawa. they probably couldnt keep the hotel/ conference rooms reserved or something - so they needed to cancle the event part. the draft is still on according to the article you are linking.

Old
03-23-2005, 08:34 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
read the article, it says the draft may be held electronically through internet or conference calls. theyre only cancelling the event in ottawa. they probably couldnt keep the hotel/ conference rooms reserved or something - so they needed to cancle the event part. the draft is still on according to the article you are linking.

There only cancelling the event in Ottawa? Dont make up stuff...maybe your the one who needs to re-read the article? They are cancelling the entire draft but leaving the slim chance if they came to a deal they could put some half-ass draft through the internet or conference calls.

And yes the Draft is still on as of right now according to the article..but IF you read the article..or my title you would see they are cancelling it tomorrow.

Old
03-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Fletch

The draft is being cancelled..

according to the article. They may consider some other alternative if there is a CBA, no doubt. The NHL likely did not want to commit to the space if there was an unlikelihood of the draft occuring. Interestingly enough, though, I didn't realize the Corel Centre needed 3 months' advance notice for cancellation.

Old
03-23-2005, 10:49 PM
AXN

They ever thought drafting them a year later? I heard a lot of GM's wanted this.
Don't know why so soon but June is a long time away. CBA agreement is much more important.

Old
03-24-2005, 01:47 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
There only cancelling the event in Ottawa? Dont make up stuff...maybe your the one who needs to re-read the article? They are cancelling the entire draft but leaving the slim chance if they came to a deal they could put some half-ass draft through the internet or conference calls.

And yes the Draft is still on as of right now according to the article..but IF you read the article..or my title you would see they are cancelling it tomorrow.
"An alternative to the formal draft is being considered. It's believed the league would conduct an electronic selection process either over the internet, a mass teleconference call, or a combination of both."

just callin it like it see it.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 03-24-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old
03-24-2005, 07:10 AM
Fletch

True bleed...

the fact it, or the assumption of a fact, is that the draft is being cancelled today. They are seeking and evaluating alternatives just in case a CBA is reached at some point in the future. There will be no Crosby coming on stage to try on a jersey. No audiences. It's cancelled until a CBA is reached.

Old
03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
"An alternative to the formal draft is being considered. It's believed the league would conduct an electronic selection process either over the internet, a mass teleconference call, or a combination of both."

just callin it like it see it.
Good job taking quotes out of context. Besides, the keyword in that is "would." You know, the word that implies "if there was to be a draft"

Old
03-24-2005, 01:50 PM
bleedgreen

i think all that happened today was that the league couldnt keep 4500 rooms blocked in hotels - so they said we're going to do something else. everything else is media hype and crap. nothing is going to happen to crosby. whenever this gets resolved (maybe on time for draft - who knows) - they'll get together on a conference call or whatever and get it done in a few hours. i stand by it, the event got cancelled - not the draft itself. if the day of the draft goes by without a draft - its been postponed.

Old
03-24-2005, 03:18 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

That's true, you never know, there could b a competing shriners convention!

Quote:
i think all that happened today was that the league couldnt keep 4500 rooms blocked in hotels - so they said we're going to do something else. everything else is media hype and crap. nothing is going to happen to crosby. whenever this gets resolved (maybe on time for draft - who knows) - they'll get together on a conference call or whatever and get it done in a few hours. i stand by it, the event got cancelled - not the draft itself. if the day of the draft goes by without a draft - its been postponed.

Come on! How many things are going on in Ottawa during that part of June?

Old
03-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
that's what I got out of it too. I think that as soon as there is an agreement, they will hold their conference call draft.

Old
03-25-2005, 04:04 AM
bleedgreen

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...87&hubName=nhl
officially changed from cancelled to postponed. its just not a big deal. i dont think its a ploy at all, really - though that might be a screw you to the media who continually use it against the owners.

Closed Thread