HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers vs Blackhawks - SNET-W - 6:30 MST

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Nail has had normal rookie growing pains and should be sheltered from top competition but the sad fact is: he hasn't looked much worse than most of the other players in the top 6.

Hemsky turns over the puck at an alarming rate, Gagner can't win a puck battle and is easy to cycle on, and Jordan Eberle has made massive defensive gaffes late in games that cost the team an overtime and regulation loss.

Only RNH and Hall have looked good 5 on 5.
I have seen him win 7 or 8 so far this season stereotype much.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
Me thinks this is going to be fugly, 8-1 Hawks
I don't I think Hawks will have a jump early cause they played yesterday but Oliers will carry play in 2nd and third. Hawks jump out to early 2-0 lead game ends 5-4 Oilers.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Red Deer Rebel

vCash: 500
Gentlemen, gentlemen ........ please.

The stats on nhl.com are compiled by 5 objective statisticians employed by the NHL who observe every game. Nobody is out to get Ryan Smyth.

The fact of the matter is that Ryan Smyth has had high numbers of turnovers throughout his career:
  • 3rd highest number of giveaways on Oilers last year amongst forwards
  • 4th highest amongst forwards on the LA Kings the year before
  • 3rd highest on the LA Kings amongst forwards the year before that
  • The highest number of giveaways amongst forwards on the Colorado Avalanche the year before that
  • 2nd highest amongst forwards on the Colorado Avalanche the year before that (would have been the worst again but he only played 55 games)

I understand he's a fan favorite, but there is no reason to rewrite history to make him out to be something he's not .... and the fact of the matter is he turns pucks over more than anybody else, including 18 yr old Nail Yakupov.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 02-25-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
nhlisajoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
At the same time he moves Jones(hypothetically) and Petrell(hypothetically), then Eager and Smyth get hurt, who we calling up?
ghostbusters....

Old
02-25-2013, 04:35 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
The other fact was Smyth was benched and came back at his best this year. Smyth is also on a tight leash and right fully so.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlisajoke View Post
ghostbusters....
nice play

Old
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
dnicks17

Not a fan of the takeaway/giveaway stat.

Would be a pretty insightful stat, but they do a horrible job of recording it.

Like Harski at 1 giveaway? I've seen at least two shifts where he probably had 2-3 giveaways alone.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Guaranteed Yakupov gets shifts on that line. People put too much credence into announced pre game combos.
^ This.

Krueger has already trolled the fans and media alike in regards to the lineups...when are people going to learn?

Old
02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
So the oilers get last change both at home and the road? Who would have thunk it?
Last change or not, he's gonna get softer minutes.
But thanks for the condescending jab

Old
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
^ This.

Krueger has already trolled the fans and media alike in regards to the lineups...when are people going to learn?
Go look at page one or two, Kreuger himself already said there was going to be shuffling. Only for sure thing is RNH-Eberle and Gagner-Hemsky.

It's so simple to figure out, yet so hard for some reason.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
plikestechno

These lines look like a team playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Whitney must be done as an Oiler. Whats the point of leaving him out this long and having peckham fistric and potter in there? After souray and whitney i doubt any ufa defenseman would sign here ever again. Weve treated those guys like garbage.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Go look at page one or two, Kreuger himself already said there was going to be shuffling. Only for sure thing is RNH-Eberle and Gagner-Hemsky.

It's so simple to figure out, yet so hard for some reason.
Oh i agree 100%, and that's why i'm laughing at the chicken little impersonations on the board here. SMYTH ON THE FIRST LINE AND NOT YAKS!!!!

GRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKK FIRE KRUEGER!!!!

Old
02-25-2013, 04:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post

Whitney must be done as an Oiler. Whats the point of leaving him out this long and having peckham fistric and potter in there? After souray and whitney i doubt any ufa defenseman would sign here ever again. Weve treated those guys like garbage.
Just like how buying out our captain meant we'd never sign a UFA.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Expatriate

Quote:

Cough J. Schultz Cough

Old
02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
I have seen him win 7 or 8 so far this season stereotype much.

Pretty much the first 30 seconds of that video.

I like Sam but it's almost like we're playing shorthanded when he's centering a line and the play is in our zone.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Souray and Whitney's situations are no where near the same at all.. Souray wanted out, but acted like a petulant child having a temper tantrum while thowing management under the bus. He reaped what he sowed, and i'm sure learned a few things along the way. He's doing well now in <Anaheim> (thnx Tarus), and good on him for coming back from a bad situation he was largely responsible for.

Whitney has been playing like garbage since coming back from injury due to the fact that he can't physically play like he used to. Not only that, is that he doesn't seem to have the hockey smarts in order to adapt his game due to the physical limitations he is now facing -he is also acting like a petulant child.

Whitney being waived would be a result of him not being able to adapt to his limitations, and subsequently not playing at an NHL level. Scouts are seeing this, and want no part of him. That's why we have no offers for him...I can see him being waived at the trade deadline if no half decent offers come in. We might luck out and be able to package him in a deal somehow.

Last edited by Booya42: 02-25-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Last change or not, he's gonna get softer minutes.
But thanks for the condescending jab
You and all the other posters that spout 'this player is getting sheltered soft minutes and this player is playing all the tough minutes' totally deserve to get a jab because that point is pretty well always used to justify something and is taken in singularity.

For example I would say about 90% of the time when 'tough minutes' has been brought up over the last 5 years it has been brought up in relation to Horcoff. Never a mention about linemates who get blasted. 'Soft minutes' is brought up when people try and justify why certain players are actually doing well.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

Pretty much the first 30 seconds of that video.

I like Sam but it's almost like we're playing shorthanded when he's centering a line and the play is in our zone.
Gagner has 7 give aways and 10 take aways I know its a fllawed stat but 10 take aways is proof he wins puck battles, but same thing his mistakes are magnified his good plays quickly forgotten . He has been winning puck battles he has lost some as well like any player in the league.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Souray and Whitney's situations are no where near the same at all.. Souray wanted out, but acted like a petulant child having a temper tantrum while thowing management under the bus. He reaped what he sowed, and i'm sure learned a few things along the way. He's doing well now in Dallas, and good on him for coming back from a bad situation he was largely responsible for.

Whitney has been playing like garbage since coming back from injury due to the fact that he can't physically play like he used to. Not only that, is that he doesn't seem to have the hockey smarts in order to adapt his game due to the physical limitations he is now facing -he is also acting like a petulant child.

Whitney being waived would be a result of him not being able to adapt to his limitations, and subsequently not playing at an NHL level. Scouts are seeing this, and want no part of him. That's why we have no offers for him...I can see him being waived at the trade deadline if no half decent offers come in. We might luck out and be able to package him in a deal somehow.
Is sitting him in 6 out of the last 10 games right though after finally being healthy and giving him that assesment hafter 12 games? Nope.......

Old
02-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
He's doing well now in Dallas
<Anaheim>

Old
02-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
<Anaheim>
Sorry corrected, and thank you.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Is sitting him in 6 out of the last 10 games right though after finally being healthy and giving him that assesment hafter 12 games? Nope.......
It's not just about games. Coaches get to see practices, if the player isn't doing much better in practice and then when he gets back into action shows he still isn't doing well, then guess what? He sits.

They gave him the first 8 games, didn't look good enough to them. Sat him. Played him the next 2 games. Sat him for his next 2. Played the next 2 and is now sitting his 3rd game in a row.

At some point the player has to pull his socks up.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
You and all the other posters that spout 'this player is getting sheltered soft minutes and this player is playing all the tough minutes' totally deserve to get a jab because that point is pretty well always used to justify something and is taken in singularity.

For example I would say about 90% of the time when 'tough minutes' has been brought up over the last 5 years it has been brought up in relation to Horcoff. Never a mention about linemates who get blasted. 'Soft minutes' is brought up when people try and justify why certain players are actually doing well.
Sounds like you've got it down to a science on the soft/tough minutes. Astute analysis.

My original point was, giving magnus a shot in the top 6, and getting a defensively suspect rookie away from the best opposition on the best team in the NHL, might not be "terrible coaching" as many have called it.

But yeah, Horcoff...blah blah...wait, what?

Old
02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Oh_so_saad

im excited for this game. really hoping for a highscoring nailbiter with lots of offense. There is something i like alot about edmontons offense as they are fun to watch when clicking on all cylinders.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
plikestechno

Whitney hasnt been any worse than petry and nick schultz imho. If whitneys sitting out, they should too once in awhile. At least whitney produces offense and this team needs goals.

Their situations are different but they are both vet d getting treated like garbage. Schultz only came here because he wanted max money and max playing time. He probably also thought we were on the way up. How wrong he was.

As far as tonight goes, i keep thinking the oilers will win tonight and break their streak. Also i think yak will float all over the bottom three lines tonight. Why not shelter him defensively and try to spread his talent out a bit?

Closed Thread