HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Atlanta and Philadelphia proposal

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Atlanta and Philadelphia proposal

This really isn't a block buster proposal, just curiosity. I wanted to see how many fans would be in support of this move and if it is equal in value.
Philadelphia Flyers
Stefan Ruzicka//Stefan is a natural goal scorer, but almost refuses to play a game with Defence. If he plays in a high flying offense like the Thrashers with Heatley and Kovalchuck, he will flourish. On the other hand if he stays in Philadelphia Hitchcock is going to hound this kid like there is no tomorrow, which could ruin this kids confidence. Sean Burke//Philadelphia already has a logjam at goaltending, the last thing we need is more budget. Atlanta's "veteran" goaltender at this time is Pasi Nurminen, better safe than sorry comes to mind. Kari will undoubtably start the season off because of his time on ice for the Wolves so Burke would be on ice practicing getting in game shape. Sean is still a capable number one goaltender for two million dollars, quality player for the next cba. Sean can also be used as a mentor/supporter for Kari like he did for Robert. "2005" 3rd round pick from Dallas//Just meant to sweeten the deal for conference rivals.

Atlanta Thrashers
Boris Valabik//Boris is a beast that has no fear of the penalty box or physical contact. Hitchcock would love this kid; getting in the passing lanes, laying out bodies, and sticking up for the players whenever needed. He is the physical defenseman with the right tools for the Flyers. "2005" 2nd round pick//Philadelphia needs another early round pick, maybe it could be traded later on to move up in the world.

Fire away.

Old
03-24-2005, 12:43 AM
mercury

This proposal is almost unreadable. What are the parameters?
To ATL:
Ruzicka + Burke + Dallas' 3rd

To PHI:
Valabik+2nd

Is that it? I guess it makes some kinda sense. We do need another young defenseman. And getting Burke's contract off the books would be great. Ruzicka is talented, but I could see this deal benefiting us.

Old
03-24-2005, 12:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
The Flyers would need a 2nd round pick if that's what you're proposing.

Valabik is a better prospect, and is exactly what Atlanta needs at this point since they're thin on prospects after Coburn and Exelby.

And if Ruzicka doesn't want to play defense, Bob Hartley isn't going to play him. We all saw what happened when Ilya Kovalchuk didn't want to play defense, in a game vs. the Flyers. He found himself on the bench, sitting next to defensemen and refused to as even look in the direction of the coach.

Old
03-24-2005, 12:58 AM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

Atlanta doesn't need Burke at all. Pasi Nurminen is a solid starter, and Kari Lehtonen is ready to be a full-time backup.

Old
03-24-2005, 01:13 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Atlanta drafted Boris Valabik just nine months ago.

Why is he being traded already...?

Old
03-24-2005, 01:24 AM
mercury

I must admit, I was wondering why this deal would work, too. In any event, getting rid of Burke, a prospect who may never make the big team, and a 3rd, for a decent d-man prospect and a 2nd is an absolute steal for the Flyers. I'd pull the trigger. I doubt Atlanta would, though.

I would still like to make a deal with Atlanta for something, though.

Last edited by mercury: 03-24-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old
03-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Atlanta drafted Boris Valabik just nine months ago.

Why is he being traded already...?
He's not being traded in any case. I was just interested in hearing Atlanta's opinion of Valabik right now. There's not much activity on the Thrasher board so I went somewhere else.

So the consensus is Valabik will eventually be the Thrashers number two/three defenseman/enforcer. Weak

Old
03-24-2005, 01:55 AM
mercury

Would one of Kovy or Heatley be available? If not, what about Kozlov, Petrovicky, and Exelby?

Old
03-24-2005, 02:04 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Would one of Kovy or Heatley be available? If not, what about Kozlov, Petrovicky, and Exelby?
I definitely think Ilya Kovalchuk and Dany Heatley would be available.

Old
03-24-2005, 03:01 AM
mercury

I know what you mean, but if the Flyers were inclined to attempt a landscape-changing deal, I'd want to know the approximate value. Not gonna happen, but just to get an idea. I think each team has 1 or 2 pieces the other could use.

Old
03-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzinSmith
Atlanta doesn't need Burke at all. Pasi Nurminen is a solid starter, and Kari Lehtonen is ready to be a full-time backup.
So during the playoffs, you want a franchise-goaltender that will be an NHL rookie and a Pro NHL backup with three years experience (and zero playoff games under his belt.)

Old
03-24-2005, 09:16 AM
MojoJojo

Valabik might be a Hitchcock type player in five years. Hitch loves his veterans, especially on defense.

Old
03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
flip588

I'm not a Valabik fan at all, I think he's overrated. Surely if we were to do this deal there is a better defensive prospect out there.

I'm also holding out hope that Ruzicka's lack of commitment to defense will pass with a step to professional hockey. There are nights where he looks like a star in all aspects of the game, including on the backcheck and in his own end. He knows how. He'll never come close to winning a Selke trophy, but his defensive play is adequate. Consistency of effort is the biggest negative in his game. Not trying to defend his attitude, only his skill.

Unfortunately I think he's not taking junior hockey this season as seriously as we'd like or he should be.

Old
03-24-2005, 09:37 AM
fan mao rong

Just one thing. Sean Burke's contract has expired.

Old
03-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
With the cancelling of this past season, I believe that's correct.
As for this deal, I would do it in a second. We have a good number of skilled forward prospects and very little in the way of young blueliners after Pitkanen and Seidenberg. Neither of those guys are bruisers like Valabik is either. I, for one, would do this as Philly, but like someone else said, I doubt Atlanta would pull the trigger on this.

Old
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Would one of Kovy or Heatley be available?
I would HIGHLY doubt either one of those two go anywhere in the next 5 years. But philly does have some nice young players or nice players period that could get one of them eventually if the market ever opened up. Jeff Carter, Richards, Joni Pitkanen, Simon Gagne, etc.... All pretty high profile players/prospects, especially Pitkanen with ATL not that solid on defense. People forget about Sutton though, he's a very solid dman.

Old
03-24-2005, 01:45 PM
blah

Why not just keep Ruzicka and hope his defense comes around? Even if it doesn't it's not like it will be a glarring weakness. Considering how almost all of the Flyers forwards are defensive minded having a legitimate sniper on the roster could actually be a welcomed addition.

They can afford to draft for need and stock up on defensemen at this year's draft anyway. The past couple drafts they stocked up on forwards and most are close to ready. Esche and Nitty along w/ all the potential backups they have in juniors and college have them set in goal for a long time as well.

Old
03-24-2005, 01:47 PM
mercury

So, short of a gigantic Gagne, Pitkanen, something for Kovalchuk or Heatley deal, what could we do? Something around Handzus?

Old
03-24-2005, 03:44 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i think handzus would be beauty in atlanta, hartley would cream over his new toy at the pivot position...

no idea of what to give, philly could use a dman, but so can atlanta...

Old
03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
i think handzus would be beauty in atlanta, hartley would cream over his new toy at the pivot position...

no idea of what to give, philly could use a dman, but so can atlanta...
That's true but Philadelphia does need a higher selection draft pick, or more picks. Atlanta already has a pretty set crew so I wouldnt think they have a problem going the Detroit way and moving picks for a veteran.

Old
03-24-2005, 07:02 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
That's true but Philadelphia does need a higher selection draft pick, or more picks. Atlanta already has a pretty set crew so I wouldnt think they have a problem going the Detroit way and moving picks for a veteran.
yeah but if i was in philly's position, there is no way i'd move handzus for simply draft picks.. sure you have jeff carter and mike richards on the way (if they're are signed though) but handzus imo is an integral part of that team for awhile, atleast as long as hitchcock is running things

Old
03-25-2005, 01:53 AM
mercury

Hitch has said that he thinks Carter could have made the Flyers squad for 2004-05. I am not sure if he was going to try to convert him to wing, or give him limited minutes as a center, but, if he really believes that, then Handzus would probably be the odd man out. Hopefully, we'd resign Zhamnov, keep Roenick at RW, and go Zhamnov-Carter-Primeau-Sharp down the middle. Looks pretty sweet to me. Almost every team could use a Zeus. Someone would (over)pay to get him.

Old
03-28-2005, 10:25 PM
stanley

I think the landscape of the league has changed quite a bit. Organizations are going to need players who can contribute at the NHL level at a cheap cost. The value of role players will be greater, and the young, talented players will be practically unextractable. Who would want to give up the likes of Pitkanen, Bergeron, Lehtonen, et. al? They're cheap and can contribute. Regardless of the spending habits under the old bargaining agreement and in which metropolitan area in which an organization is located, money against a cap is money against a cap. Out with guys like Roenick and LeClair, in with guys like Carter and Ruzicka. It just makes too much financial sense (not to mention that violations will probably be accompanied by financial penalties).

Old
03-29-2005, 07:58 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Hitch has said that he thinks Carter could have made the Flyers squad for 2004-05. I am not sure if he was going to try to convert him to wing, or give him limited minutes as a center, but, if he really believes that, then Handzus would probably be the odd man out. Hopefully, we'd resign Zhamnov, keep Roenick at RW, and go Zhamnov-Carter-Primeau-Sharp down the middle. Looks pretty sweet to me. Almost every team could use a Zeus. Someone would (over)pay to get him.
I'd doubt Philadelphia would send Handzus anywhere. He's gonna remain a Flyer as long as Hitchcock has a say. If there's anyone who would be odd man out, it'd probably be Sharp. He'd simply be moved to the wing. Jeez, four deep at center with Carter, Zhamnov, Primeau and Handzus. That's something most teams would cringe at. However, I've got a feeling we're just gonna let Zhamnov walk. He turned down a great offer from us and you can bet that will stick in the back of Bob's mind.

Old
03-29-2005, 10:40 PM
mercury

I understand where you are coming from on that, but who is #1? Hitch won't let Carter be #1, Zeus is more a natural #2-3 guy, and the Gagne-Primeau-Kapanen line might not be kept together. I doubt Primeau puts up #1 center numbers. UFA, perhaps?

Closed Thread