HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brad Richards - Buyout Candidate?

Old
02-25-2013, 01:41 PM
ViD
#CBJNeedHugs

vCash: 500
I can see the Jackets trading for Richards

ViD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by daner View Post
NYR's/Sather have bad contracts floating around the league all over the place. Which player will they overpay this offseason? They should not be allowed to participate in free agency anymore haha....but seriously.
I would be perfectly ok with that

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:50 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
So glad him and Gaborik decided not to sign in LA.
You are happy that a player that has scored 40+ goals twice in two full years with the rangers did not sign with the Kings? I know you guys won a cup and all.. but obviously Gaborik would have improved your team.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Heyoooo*

Gaborik has been one of our best FA signings. Not sure why people are mentioning him.

This is all about Richards and Richards only.

Gaborik's been healthy for us, scored 40+ goals twice in 3 years in a **** system, and scored some of the biggest goals in our history.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
I can see the Jackets trading for Richards
I can't unless we're sending back Umberger due to salary hits. We're rebuilding, now is not the time to add a highly paid 32 year-old.

Doesn't Richards have a NMC/NTC? If so I think he'll be more than happy to just stay on with the Rangers.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
tony d
Team Canada

He's a disappointment thus far this season as are the rest of the Rangers. Let's see if they can put it together. Can't see the Rangers buying him out though.

02-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Blue777

vCash: 50
I doubt Rangers will buy him out. If they did who would replace him?
A center depth with Stepan, Boyle, Miller, Halpern would be awful.
Hopefully he can get it together and play like he did in the playoffs last season.

Blue777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:06 PM
TK
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
but obviously Gaborik would have improved your team.
Not in the playoffs, where the Kings excelled.

TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:06 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
You are happy that a player that has scored 40+ goals twice in two full years with the rangers did not sign with the Kings? I know you guys won a cup and all.. but obviously Gaborik would have improved your team.
Just wait until Marián Gáborík joins a new team. He only just turned 31 and has 7 30G+ seasons under his belt -- he was a 2nd team all star at RW last season for gods sake! In his last 2 healthy seasons with the Rangers (09/10 & 11/12) he has led the Rangers in goals and points during the regular season, in a system that is tailormade for a player that plays the opposite style of game as Gáborík.

New York really pisses me off. They sign every free agent, and then chase them out of town. Brad Richards is a former Conn Smythe winner and he led the Rangers in scoring en route to the ECF last season! He's only on the 2nd year of 9 year contract and really isn't even playing that poorly this season. He may be putting up points at only a ~50pt pace but this is following a giant layoff following a half-season lockout.

Since Richards and Gáborík apparently aren't producing enough I wonder if Boston is considering amnestying Patrice Bergeron/Milan Lucic/Nathan Horton, or LA amnestying Jeff Carter, Dallas amnestying Loui Eriksson, Colorado amnestying Paul Statsny..etc

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:08 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Not in the playoffs, where the Kings excelled.
Considering the Kings can barely even make the playoffs, perhaps they could use some of Gáborík's regular season excellence. Furthermore, Gáborík isn't even a poor playoff performer and on Anže Kopitar's wing I have no doubt he would excel.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Just wait until Marián Gáborík joins a new team. He only just turned 31 and has 7 30G+ seasons under his belt -- he was a 2nd team all star at RW last season for gods sake! In his last 2 healthy seasons with the Rangers (09/10 & 11/12) he has led the Rangers in goals and points during the regular season, in a system that is tailormade for a player that plays the opposite style of game as Gáborík.

New York really pisses me off. They sign every free agent, and then chase them out of town. Brad Richards is a former Conn Smythe winner and he led the Rangers in scoring en route to the ECF last season! He's only on the 2nd year of 9 year contract and really isn't even playing that poorly this season. He may be putting up points at only a ~50pt pace but this is following a giant layoff following a half-season lockout.

Since Richards and Gáborík apparently aren't producing enough I wonder if Boston is considering amnestying Patrice Bergeron/Milan Lucic/Nathan Horton, or LA amnestying Jeff Carter, Dallas amnestying Loui Eriksson, Colorado amnestying Paul Statsny..etc
Oh man, really? Well this just proved that you haven't watched a single Rangers game this year.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

Should have kept Johnny Malkin instead.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Oh man, really? Well this just proved that you haven't watched a single Rangers game this year.
Over 17 games this season he must be playing so bad that it's time to buy him out..

Typical NYR thinking.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Crease

Quote:
Over 17 games this season he must be playing so bad that it's time to buy him out..

Typical NYR thinking.
No. After 17 games this season it's time to consider buying him, since there is a 2 offseason window to do so without incurring a cap penalty. And with 7 more years on a blantant backdiving deal, it's a valid consideration. Also, I don't appreciate the generalization.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:

Typical NYR thinking.
Did you see the part where I bolded your absurd statement that he isn't even really playing all that poorly this season? I didn't even mention a buyout, I was just pointing out that you haven't got a clue about how he's playing this season and that it's obvious you haven't actually watched him play.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Typical NYR thinking.
He's played about 30 solid games since joining the team. He was mediocre for 75% of the season last year, and has been terrible this year as well.

Typical baseless generalizations from the uninformed.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Richards and Gaborik... the new Gomez and Drury?
When did Gomez or Drury have multiple 40 goal seasons?

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I've never heard of a Ranger free agent signing not meeting expectations of their salary.
Ever heard of Gaborik?

And if the Rangers do buy Richards out, he must have not improved by the buyout period, so I highly doubt another team would claim him.

When exactly during the off-season is the buyout period? The reason I ask is because he's due his signing bonus on August 1st or 2nd, I believe, so if another team claims him, wouldn't they have to pay that? If so, there's a 0% chance anyone claims him.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:07 PM
nik-

Pretty nervous as a Flames fan. Not gonna lie. Visions of a bad deal to acquire Richards dancing in my head.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He's played about 30 solid games since joining the team. He was mediocre for 75% of the season last year, and has been terrible this year as well.

Typical baseless generalizations from the uninformed.
I know its not the fans who sign FA's but it's the fans who demand they be traded or bought out.

Wade Redden
Scott Gomez
Chris Drury
Donald Brashear
(I'm sure there's more)

now:
Brad Richards
Marián Gáborík

You guys sign these vastly inflated contracts, and then a season or two later cry about how inflated the contracts are. There are teams who could actually use these players for the duration of the contracts, and could have had more fair cap hits at that. But instead we have Glen Sather with the heavy hand, who gives the FA a blank cheque and tells the FA to name a price and contract length and they've got it. It isn't even a recent trend, it's been going on for years with Sather. I still remember the inflated Valeri Kamensky, Darius Kasparaitis contracts and the most idiotic of them all, the Bobby Holik signing.

I've seen maybe 3 Rangers games this season (vs Leafs, vs Was, vs Pit) in conjunction with highlights and stat-watching as well as seeing Brad Richards play at a very high level throughout his career. Furthermore, I was also a Leafs fan who wanted our former-GM Brian Burke to sign Richards when he was a FA because he would have filled our #1 C gap and helped us tremendously on the PP. Instead of opting to match Burke's fair deal of 42M over 6 year contract, Sather decided to stick to circumventing the cap by handing him a 60M over 9 year contract "that pays him $24 million in the first two seasons and $36 million over the remaining seven. The last three years of the contract come with a salary of just $1 million each."

TL;DR: Glen Sather just drives me nuts.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Honour Over Glory

I still don't know how Sather still has a job, if Richards is bought out, it's another huge signing that went wrong for him. Maybe it's not Richards, I think it's time for a coaching change for the Rangers.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Kane One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I still don't know how Sather still has a job, if Richards is bought out, it's another huge signing that went wrong for him. Maybe it's not Richards, I think it's time for a coaching change for the Rangers.
To be fair with the Richards signing, there were at least two other teams that were going to sign him for even more money--but not as front-loaded. Sather was doing his job to get the best player available. It's not like he "overpaid," since the market was giving him that much.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
When exactly during the off-season is the buyout period? The reason I ask is because he's due his signing bonus on August 1st or 2nd, I believe, so if another team claims him, wouldn't they have to pay that? If so, there's a 0% chance anyone claims him.
Assuming no change from the prior CBA, the buy-out period begins no later than June 15 (or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals) and ends June 30 at 5PM NY time. This is for both Ordinary Course Buy-Outs and Compliance Buy-Outs.

There is a second buy-out period that applies only for teams that have salary arbitration cases. They may buy-out a player up to 48 hours after their last salary arbitration award/settlement (shortly after August 6).

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Kane One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Assuming no change from the prior CBA, the buyout period begins no later than June 15 (or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals) and ends June 30 at 5PM NY time. This is for both Ordinary Course buyouts and Compliance Buyouts.
Which would mean that the team that hypothetically claims Richards would have to pay his $8MM signing bonus, correct?

Old
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net Front Presence View Post
When did Gomez or Drury have multiple 40 goal seasons?
How good were Drury & Gomez before joining the Rangers? That's what the poster is probably getting at. They went from effective players to being over paid guys that didn't belong in the NHL anymore.

Richards is approaching that status it appears.

He went from a 75-90pt center to 66pts with the Rangers last year and in an 82 game season, 53pts this year at the pace he's on.

That's a pretty big drop for production and he has much better wingers than he had in Dallas, chemistry does play a big part though, maybe he's just not a good fit but with that contract, good luck moving him now with his age and salary (is this one of the year's he gets 12m or the 9m year?).

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote