HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards - Buyout Candidate?

Old
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Prairie Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Hopefully they don't commit highway robbery this time

I'm looking at you Montreal
Because if any team can all you out on poor management its the Islanders...

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:49 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
it's hard to tell at this point if he's just having a bad season or a 33 year old in decline. They will certainly still give him next season and then decide if they want him in his 34/35/36/37/38/39 yo seasons with a 6.6 cap hit. He's also likely to retire after his 36yo season, and then the rangers would be stuck with a 1.9M/year recapture penalty for 3 years.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
it's hard to tell at this point if he's just having a bad season or a 33 year old in decline. They will certainly still give him next season and then decide if they want him in his 34/35/36/37/38/39 yo seasons with a 6.6 cap hit. He's also likely to retire after his 36yo season, and then the rangers would be stuck with a 1.9M/year recapture penalty for 3 years.
Wouldn't the recapture be 5.6M?

57M of the 60M would be paid out. Total cap hit incurred = 6.6*6= 40M.

Cap savings of 17M would be paid out over the remaining term of 3 years = 5.6M a year.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
The problem is that it isn't just a bad 17 games to start this season. He had a stretch of about 30 games at the end of last year where he played to the level he's capable of. The remainder of his time here has ranged from mediocre to downright terrible.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Hopefully they don't commit highway robbery this time

I'm looking at you Montreal
It make me sick each time I think about it.

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Wouldn't the recapture be 5.6M?

57M of the 60M would be paid out. Total cap hit incurred = 6.6*6= 40M.

Cap savings of 17M would be paid out over the remaining term of 3 years = 5.6M a year.
oh ****, i used capgeek and saw 5.6 and thought that meant total, not per year. Mainly because i thought 5.6 per year sounded insane.

if it is 5.6 per year, man, rangers might be better off cutting him loose after 2013-14.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Tinalera

It seems so surreal just a couple of years ago when he was hitting UFA, and the whole saga about who he would sign with and for how much. I don't know what to make of talk of buying him out just a couple of years later.

I don't much about NYR, but didn't he put away some good points in the playoffs for NY?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
oh ****, i used capgeek and saw 5.6 and thought that meant total, not per year. Mainly because i thought 5.6 per year sounded insane.

if it is 5.6 per year, man, rangers might be better off cutting him loose after 2013-14.
Best cap hit recapture penalty would be if Weber retires after the 2022 season.

107M in salary paid out.
85M in total cap hit.
=21M in cap savings to be paid out over 3 years for a cap penalty of 7M a year.

Suter and Parise have it almost as bad, but Weber's the worst.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
If he plays better, as good as he was expected to, won't all be forgiven? It is 17 games, I think he needs to be given more time than that since he has 11 points which is pretty good for the majority of NHL players.

That is my point, it is only 17 games and even if he isn't playing well he is still putting up points so his game has not completely left him. He has a pretty good chance of turning it around.
Yep, not to mention he was one of the main reasons why we came in first last year and made it 2 games from the finals.

People on these boards have short term memory and don't get that slumping for 17 games, while still putting up respectable point totals, isn't reason to panic. Rangers fans have some of the worst

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
biturbo19

Would make a lot more sense to send Torts packing. Production and play would probably pick right back up.

Although Sather has gone out and done his usual routine and built a super top-heavy team around 3 overpaid players. So they are in a bit of a situation i guess. Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of Nash and Gaborik as players...but they, along with Richards all have 'premium' contracts where they were paid a bit above value to lure them in.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Would make a lot more sense to send Torts packing. Production and play would probably pick right back up.

Although Sather has gone out and done his usual routine and built a super top-heavy team around 3 overpaid players. So they are in a bit of a situation i guess. Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of Nash and Gaborik as players...but they, along with Richards all have 'premium' contracts where they were paid a bit above value to lure them in.
1-Other teams tried shelling out more money for Richards, but he wanted to come to NYR and play for Torts

2- Gaborik isn't overpaid
NYR year 1 of 5 42g/44a/86p (76 games played) top 5 in goals
NYR year 2 of 5 22g/26a/48p (62 games played)
NYR year 3 of 5 41g/35a/76p (82 games played) top 3 in goals
NYR year 4 of 5 7g/4a/11p (17 games played)

Best FA signing of Sathers tenure, not over paid at all..

3- we traded to nash didn't sign him to that contract and how can you say he was over paid? he played for the worst franchise and only made the playoffs 1 in his 10yrs there, was their captain and face of the franchise and still put up excellent numbers, as well as always a pick to play on National teams (Canada Olympics etc, playing on top lines)

please know what your talking about before you speak like that.. 1/3 is being overpaid but Richards couldv'e signed more to play in other cities he chose NYR.. also how are the rangers a top heavy team. that had Stepan (3yr 2c put up 40+ rookie season and a 51point season) Callahan put of 29g last year..

dethomas07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Man Bear Pig

If the Rangers had two GM's, one for trades(Sather) and one for free agents, they'd win the cup every year lol. I don't blame the Rangers for signing Richards but Sathers track record with UFA's is atrocious.

Gaborik+Richards

for

Komisarek+Connolly+Liles+D.Tucker+7th rounder

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Well, partly off-topic, but I can't see how anyone could have issues with Gaborik's deal. A 40-goal guy costs a lot, and his contract is ending soon. He will get a similar contract (maybe -500k-1m with the new cap), but he is still a great sniper.

Richards, well, I'd give him some more time, but if this shortened season ends with him playing like he does, then it might be worth it to cut your losses.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

It's quite possible that Sather tries to lure Getzlaf this off-season, and IF he is able to land him, then buy Richards out. Similarly, if there's a center target NEXT summer, same deal.

I could see the Flames trading for Richards, though. We all know Feaster loves him and really lobbied to get him when he went to Broadway instead.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:17 PM
EarlGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It's quite possible that Sather tries to lure Getzlaf this off-season, and IF he is able to land him, then buy Richards out. Similarly, if there's a center target NEXT summer, same deal.
Not happening. If Getzlaf isn't re-signing in Anaheim look for him to sign in Canada somewhere.

EarlGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
glenbuis

I don't see why all the Ranger fans are getting excited. You gave up absolutely nothing for the man because you got him as a free agent. He was helpful in getting yous to the final four last year. Even with a rough stretch yous are only one point out of a playoff spot. There is no rush to buy him out as they can wait until after next year to decide. The final factor is its only money if they buy him out and from what I understand is that if there was no salary cap they would be spending over a hundred million anyway. Nobody in the Ranger front office is gonna care that they cut a cheque for 20-25 million to Richards. The last thing a Ranger fan ever has to worry about is money.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:34 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Not happening. If Getzlaf isn't re-signing in Anaheim look for him to sign in Canada somewhere.
After the season Getzlaff had last year I could easily see him being the next Richards, Gomez, Drury, Reden, etc. I'd sooner take my chances on a bounceback year from Richards next year than Getzlaff. If things didn't go well, then buy-out Richards and buy the best free agent after that year whoever that may be.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

But Getzlaf is bouncing back already. Sure, maybe it's because it's a contract year, but maybe it's mostly because Boudreau's offensive style suits him nicely.

I don't think Getzlaf is heading downhill, although depending on the dollars expectations may get crazy.

I definitely could see Getzlaf in Canada, too. But I'm sure Sather will pursue.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Yep, not to mention he was one of the main reasons why we came in first last year and made it 2 games from the finals.

People on these boards have short term memory and don't get that slumping for 17 games, while still putting up respectable point totals, isn't reason to panic. Rangers fans have some of the worst
Nobody is panicking, we're discussing possible options if things don't end up working out. The reason why it's happening so soon is because one of those possible options is only available for a short time. Why wouldn't you discuss ways to make your team better?

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
lamp9post

Absolutely no reason for the Rangers to even consider this until next offseason (2014).

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Pohlow

He should have stayed with Dallas. Would have put up phenomenal numbers with Benn on his wing. (Pretty sure Benn stays winger if Richards re-signs)

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Nobody is panicking, we're discussing possible options if things don't end up working out. The reason why it's happening so soon is because one of those possible options is only available for a short time. Why wouldn't you discuss ways to make your team better?
There is absolutely no way that the Rangers will get Getzlaf. Options are things that are a possibility. Getzlaf is not.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
There is absolutely no way that the Rangers will get Getzlaf. Options are things that are a possibility. Getzlaf is not.
I'd put it at 99% that Getzlaf stays in Anaheim. He married a local gal and we all know who really wears the pants. He'll stay and re-sign. Perry OTOH...I wouldn't be surprised if he walked.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Gaborik gets way too much heat in my opinion. Yes he is very inconsistent but for a talent like Gaborik to put up multiple 40 goal seasons on Tortorella's system is incredible.
This.

Although Gaborik is absolutely infuriating at times, 100 goals in 3 seasons under Tortarella is pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
I definitely think it's John Tortorella's time to go. A coach like him only has a limited time-span with a team before his words start to go through one ear and out the other. With an all-world goaltender like Henrik Lundqvist, flanked by a great defense core and forward core with a mix of star players, hardnosed heart and soul types and young highly touted prospects -- there's absolutely no way that the Rangers should be on the outside of the playoffs.
That's what I have been saying. The yelling isn't doing anything anymore. It's time for a change. His system holds his players production back. Nevermind the atrocious power play and the idiot that runs it that he refuses to part ways with.

Quote:
Considering they are only 1pt out with a game in hand, and that they have gone 5-3-2 over their last 10 I would obviously give Tortorella a little more time but if by the half way mark or so the Rangers are still on the cusp of the playoffs and their top players; Marián Gáborík, Brad Richards, Ryan Callahan, Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider..etc continue to underperform you've got to think that the coach gets canned before you simply overturn the whole roster.
Although I feel like Buffalo's failure were more so due to Regier's inaccuracies in free agency, address goaltending and depth, the last part is what got him canned. A lot of players were underperforming the words eventually fell on depth ears.

Quote:
No he simply handed out a 9 year contract to a 30 year old player, with the last 3 seasons paying him a paltry 1M per year. Remove those last 3 seasons which I would assume, that they assume that Richards would have retired by then and you are essentially paying Richards 10M per season. That is a gross overpayment.
He backloaded a contract and paid it up front, far from an overpayment. The average cap hit remains the same regardless. The actual salary is the matter at hand in which you're discussing and I would the front loaded portion to have the paltry back end in which you've already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Although Sather has gone out and done his usual routine and built a super top-heavy team around 3 overpaid players.
What? Super top heavy team built around 3 overpaid players? None of this makes any sense.

Quote:
So they are in a bit of a situation i guess. Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of Nash and Gaborik as players...but they, along with Richards all have 'premium' contracts where they were paid a bit above value to lure them in.
Nash was given that contract by the Blue Jackets. Let's not forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I won't pretend to know where he's gonna sign if he leaves Anaheim, which I've stated many times that I don't think he will, but I don't think any of the Canadian teams are really a great fit for him.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
I'm sorry, my eyesight and memory must be fading in my not-so-old-age. Can you please quote the part where I said anything at all about Getzlaf? Feel free to look at any of my posts for any mention of Getzlaf ever (other than this one of course!) For some reason I can't find it. The post I quoted was talking about us panicking and questioned why we were talking about buying out Richards.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote