HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Sign Mark Eaton (1 year | $725,000)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
As much as I don't want Eaton taking time away from Despres/Bort, he is going to have to get a game or two here and there to get back into game shape. Just expect it to happen, so you all don't have a heart attack when it does.
Pretty much, and anyways I don't think it's a bad thing. Despres is good but still inconsistent, and honestly I have no problem with Bort but I think the shine has worn off of him. He's a tank who can provide solid yet unspectacular bottom pair play. Add it all up and a fully operational Eaton is about even with them considering his experience and reliability.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:15 PM
WarriorScholar

Anyone else only click on this thread once? Wondering why it's still at the top , and waiting for it to drop off?

Sorry for adding nothing of value, just very curious if I was the only one

Old
02-26-2013, 11:21 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Perhaps Edmonton would be up for a Niskanen-for-Nick-Schultz swap. He's a bit bigger and better defensively than Niskanen and he's a lefty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I dig Schultz
Barf. I really don't think we need to trade FOR a defenseman, and Nick Schultz is not an upgrade. Perhaps it's a case of the grass seeming greener if people think otherwise. I think, however, we do need to trade for a forward. Trading Niskanen (whose stock is quickly rising) for a guy like Schultz (whose stock has plateaued for some time now) would be a lateral move at best, and more likely a stupid move.

If you want to trade a Dman, it should be in exchance for a forward, not another defenseman. The only move I was supportive of was perhaps trading a good prospect Dman (i.e. Despres/Morrow) for an established #1/2 Dman (i.e. Keith Yandle), and I don't think such a deal is out there anyway. But with the way Paul Martin has played, he is not only NOT a buyout candidate, he's a candidate to stay here for a long time and even maybe have his contract extended after it's finished; and now we can hang on to our good young D or trade them for help up front instead.

Anyway, all this talk is premature. It's Mark F*ing Eaton. Hopefully we never see him on the ice and he never leaves the pressbox. A move may well be made, but that should probably be stated in the winger thread.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I know DB said there's no rush but I wonder if we'll see him play in Carolina after another game of allowing a lot of goals tonight. Pens need some composure in the lineup. Eaton at least provides a little of that.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:19 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I know DB said there's no rush but I wonder if we'll see him play in Carolina after another game of allowing a lot of goals tonight. Pens need some composure in the lineup. Eaton at least provides a little of that.

I think Eaton, after not playing for so long, will be no better than a guy like Bortuzzo if the latter is inserted into the line-up after being scratched for 5 consecutive games. I think Bortuzzo needs to get back in the line-up regularly, Eaton can be a last-minute fill in (in case someone slips on a puck in warm up or gets the flu on game day), and that Despres or Dumoulin should get called up if there was an extended stretch of games if someone was injured.

Bort looked a little rusty in the first period tonight, but looked very good after the first for the rest of the game. Give him a few more consecutve games, and I think he will look great. I don't want to lose Bort or Despres, so unless (and until) we trade a Niskanen/Orpik, then I think Bortuzzo should play and Despres stay fresh by getting big minutes and gaining confidence being the go-to Dman in WBS. Eaton can stay in the pressbox and make players eggs for breakfast.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:15 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Barf. I really don't think we need to trade FOR a defenseman, and Nick Schultz is not an upgrade. Perhaps it's a case of the grass seeming greener if people think otherwise. I think, however, we do need to trade for a forward. Trading Niskanen (whose stock is quickly rising) for a guy like Schultz (whose stock has plateaued for some time now) would be a lateral move at best, and more likely a stupid move.

If you want to trade a Dman, it should be in exchance for a forward, not another defenseman. The only move I was supportive of was perhaps trading a good prospect Dman (i.e. Despres/Morrow) for an established #1/2 Dman (i.e. Keith Yandle), and I don't think such a deal is out there anyway. But with the way Paul Martin has played, he is not only NOT a buyout candidate, he's a candidate to stay here for a long time and even maybe have his contract extended after it's finished; and now we can hang on to our good young D or trade them for help up front instead.

Anyway, all this talk is premature. It's Mark F*ing Eaton. Hopefully we never see him on the ice and he never leaves the pressbox. A move may well be made, but that should probably be stated in the winger thread.
What forward would you like to trade? We really don't have one to spare.

And I'm not saying that I'd trade Niskanen for Schultz. I was merely saying I think Schultz could play well here.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:50 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I would have rather kept Strait personally.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:13 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
What forward would you like to trade? We really don't have one to spare.

And I'm not saying that I'd trade Niskanen for Schultz. I was merely saying I think Schultz could play well here.

And I'm saying: I think the last thing we need is another bottom-pairing Dman.

I know that you and I share views on how good Engelland has been over the last year or so; and not only do I think he can maintain that, but I think he can get even better over the next couple of years. And I know we both feel pretty good about what Bortuzzo can do. So if Bortuzzo and Engelland are going to be a pair, we have to start playing them together consistently. If some other combinations/pairs are going to be made, then I think we need to establish those now, and get those guys playing together regularly.

I don't think Schultz is an upgrade, I don't think he's got a future here, he would take a spot away from players who are better/younger/have a future with us, and he will still cost an asset to acquire, and our tradeable assets are limited. And Nick Schultz has more value to EDM than he would for us, so I don't think it's worth whatever it would cost to acquire him. I think that we need to focus whatever moves we may make for a forward, not another defenseman. And I think this Eaton signing only re-enforces that idea.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:12 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
And I'm saying: I think the last thing we need is another bottom-pairing Dman.

I know that you and I share views on how good Engelland has been over the last year or so; and not only do I think he can maintain that, but I think he can get even better over the next couple of years. And I know we both feel pretty good about what Bortuzzo can do. So if Bortuzzo and Engelland are going to be a pair, we have to start playing them together consistently. If some other combinations/pairs are going to be made, then I think we need to establish those now, and get those guys playing together regularly.

I don't think Schultz is an upgrade, I don't think he's got a future here, he would take a spot away from players who are better/younger/have a future with us, and he will still cost an asset to acquire, and our tradeable assets are limited. And Nick Schultz has more value to EDM than he would for us, so I don't think it's worth whatever it would cost to acquire him. I think that we need to focus whatever moves we may make for a forward, not another defenseman. And I think this Eaton signing only re-enforces that idea.
I don't think Schultz is a bottom pairing defenseman. I think he could play the middle pair also. He plays around 20 mins a night now.

Your opinion is valid though.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:10 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

So sorry guys.

I tried really hard not to bump this but in the end I couldn't execute.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

epic bump. i was surprised to see my name as the OP.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Til the End of Time

almost had a heart attack, i thought they signed him again.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
For a minute I was getting ready to explode with anger.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:16 PM
tinkezione
Butcher's Dog

This bump almost cost me a new iPad.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
This.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:17 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

I was so angry for a second, I almost choked on my own spit.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:19 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
So sorry guys.

I tried really hard not to bump this but in the end I couldn't execute.

you sir are a terrible person

Old
11-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
For a minute I was getting ready to explode with anger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
I was so angry for a second, I almost choked on my own spit.
Pretty much all of this

Old
11-26-2013, 07:28 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

glad I read the thread before lighting this match

Old
11-26-2013, 07:28 PM
66-29-33

****, my body heat started to boil for a second, then saw thread had many pages and knew it was bumped.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

like everyone else, i was ready to take to the streets with torches and pitchforks.

He's gone now, right? not lurking in the AHL waiting to take a spot, is he???

someone hold me...

Old
11-26-2013, 07:33 PM
DoktorZaius

holy ****, I almost died

Old
11-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Assorted Nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
holy ****, I almost died
was just about to smash computer

Old
11-26-2013, 08:02 PM
SirBrad

holy freak lock this ***** up and get it off the first page ASAP before someone has a heart attack.

Old
11-26-2013, 08:04 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

I literally got chest pains when I saw this thread. That's just mean.

Closed Thread