HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Trying to grow some dirty flow.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2012, 12:11 AM
  #1
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?
 
AZcoyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,216
vCash: 500
Trying to grow some dirty flow.

Everybody knows that hockey isn't about playing good, it's about looking good.


But I have no idea what to do. I've been growing my hair out for awile now, but it looks like crap. Has anyone ever had the hockey hair? Any tips on what to style it with, or what to use in it would be appriciated.

In cause you have no idea what I mean, here's what I'm talking about:







Last edited by AZcoyotes: 06-02-2012 at 12:33 AM.
AZcoyotes is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:34 AM
  #2
SilverHaireDevil
Registered User
 
SilverHaireDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
It gets to a stage where you can't do anything with it and you really start to hate it (before it gets long enough).

Wear a ball cap till it gets long enough to keep it out of your eyes/face

SilverHaireDevil is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:40 AM
  #3
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Pro athletes are the genetic supreme physical models of our race. There are plenty of NHL players who don't have great looks. I am sorry, but you may just be you.

The best doesn't try to look like a hockey player. He is a hockey player. Be a hockey player. Even better, be you and play some hockey.

Wooty is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:41 AM
  #4
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
Conditioner is your friend. Thats what keeps it silky smooth and prevents it from looking all frizzed out.

Badger36 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:45 AM
  #5
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 764
vCash: 219
Every time i see Karlsson all i can think of is


Trl3789 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:47 AM
  #6
FDBluth
Registered User
 
FDBluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
Pro athletes are the genetic supreme physical models of our race. There are plenty of NHL players who don't have great looks. I am sorry, but you may just be you.

The best doesn't try to look like a hockey player. He is a hockey player. Be a hockey player. Even better, be you and play some hockey.
This is the worst advice ever. You have to do your absolute best to look like as much like a hockey player as possible. Once you look like a hockey player, the skills will come.

FDBluth is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 01:02 AM
  #7
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
It gets to a stage where you can't do anything with it and you really start to hate it (before it gets long enough).

Wear a ball cap till it gets long enough to keep it out of your eyes/face
Yeah you're going to have some waiting to do during this stage, it's pretty annoying.

As for products I use American Crew pomade when I go for a wet look and their fiber product when I go for a dry look. How you dry your hair also has a lot to do with keeping it in place, so if you want it pulled back, you're going to need to blow dry it back or let it air dry that way.

Also keep in mind that you normally see the player's hair when it's really wet which is why it holds and looks good.

1Knee1T is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 01:36 AM
  #8
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
The secret is sweating profusely, getting your hair soaked with sweat, then combing it a little.

esidebill is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 01:47 AM
  #9
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,212
vCash: 500
Maybe you should try going for a look that favors you rather than a look that favors someone else?

ThirdManIn is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 04:38 AM
  #10
michaelshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Hair gels. I don't know any US brands tho.. I use Japanese brand
You should look for one without gloss/shine and make sure it's not the sticky type, most high end brands have them I bet

michaelshu is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:11 AM
  #11
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,412
vCash: 500
With straight hair, just let it grow and use gel. Curly hair, avoid shampoo and let your natural oils take over. Maybe once a week "wash" it with conditioner.

Grew my hair for several months earlier this year and actually put nothing whatsoever in it other than daily showers with hot water and it was outstanding. Meaning no shampoo, conditioner, gel, nothing.

Yes I have curly hair that's a PITA...

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 10:41 AM
  #12
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yes I have curly hair that's a PITA...
Ok, you're going to have to explain what PITA stands for or else I'm going to think you have flat bread coming out of your scalp...

I'll second the people that say there's a point when growing out your hair that absolutely sucks. Actually there's 2 depending on how long you grow it. The constantly in your eyes phase sucks as does the constantly in your mouth phase. You just gotta tough through it and you'll end up with long luscious locks.

Haven't had a haircut in 6+ years. My hair is straight and thin [the strands themselves, not the overall amount of them]. I take care of it by shampooing and conditioning about every other day and brushing/combing the tangles out of it about once a day, depending on what I've been doing. Because my hair is so thin it moves a lot in the wind or when I'm playing hockey so it gets tangled really easily. Even with all that "work" I still love my long hair and would only cut it if I was forced to for employment.

PS. Does anybody have a job they want to give me?

FANonymous is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 11:56 AM
  #13
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Ok, you're going to have to explain what PITA stands for or else I'm going to think you have flat bread coming out of your scalp...

I'll second the people that say there's a point when growing out your hair that absolutely sucks. Actually there's 2 depending on how long you grow it. The constantly in your eyes phase sucks as does the constantly in your mouth phase. You just gotta tough through it and you'll end up with long luscious locks.

Haven't had a haircut in 6+ years. My hair is straight and thin [the strands themselves, not the overall amount of them]. I take care of it by shampooing and conditioning about every other day and brushing/combing the tangles out of it about once a day, depending on what I've been doing. Because my hair is so thin it moves a lot in the wind or when I'm playing hockey so it gets tangled really easily. Even with all that "work" I still love my long hair and would only cut it if I was forced to for employment.

PS. Does anybody have a job they want to give me?
Does this include trims? If so...holy ****.

1Knee1T is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:08 PM
  #14
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,412
vCash: 500
PITA = pain in the ass

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  #15
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Grew my hair for several months earlier this year and actually put nothing whatsoever in it other than daily showers with hot water and it was outstanding. Meaning no shampoo, conditioner, gel, nothing.
Gross. Im sure your hair smelt like something died in it and you could probably wring the oil out of it.

Badger36 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  #16
Satan
why did she go
 
Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: exchange
Country: Germany
Posts: 35,980
vCash: 50
Don't wash it for a week or two, keep the natural grease in and then it'll start flowing. (This is what I do)

Satan is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:13 PM
  #17
CanucksSayEh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
Conditioner is your friend. Thats what keeps it silky smooth and prevents it from looking all frizzed out.
Billy Madison "Shampoo is better, I clean the hair! Conditioner is better, I make the hair silky and smooth! DLJFHSHGLDKRAR!" lol first thing i thought of

CanucksSayEh is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:19 PM
  #18
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
Gross. Im sure your hair smelt like something died in it and you could probably wring the oil out of it.
Not at all. Google "no poo method". Daily showers with scalp scrubbing clean off all the sweat and your body will adjust to no chemicals after a few weeks.

Or google "co washing". The less crap you put in your hair, the healthier it is, and the easier it is to maintain. So it's about 15 seconds of combing the hair back and you're done.

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:31 PM
  #19
Grave77digger
Registered User
 
Grave77digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500


Thread needs more Tang

Grave77digger is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:33 PM
  #20
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
My hair is out of control but I agree about the less washing the better. If I wash it too much I get the curl like Sam Adams.

Are you guys saying you gel your hair before you play? If I play with gel in my hair I go blind after a few minutes.

Wildturkey12 is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 01:50 PM
  #21
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
My hair is out of control but I agree about the less washing the better. If I wash it too much I get the curl like Sam Adams.

Are you guys saying you gel your hair before you play? If I play with gel in my hair I go blind after a few minutes.
I just put water in my hair to pull it back in my helmet before the game starts, the eventual sweat takes care of the rest.

1Knee1T is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 03:12 PM
  #22
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,412
vCash: 500
I stopped using gel when I started playing hockey. If I use anything, it's aloe vera gel without alcohol, like you get at Walmart or Trader Joes.

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 03:21 PM
  #23
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,042
vCash: 500
Use Wen. It will make your hair silky smooth

Affinity is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #24
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician
 
ReverendAlBundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
Wash it, slick it back, sauce on a hat until it dries.

Three steps to solid flow.

ReverendAlBundy is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #25
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Use Wen. It will make your hair silky smooth
Haha, my wife has some of it in the shower. I have been using it because she does not like it and I must say, my hair is beautiful right now.

Wildturkey12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.