HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Targets

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturefan39 View Post
Doug Wilson is more of a problem than McLellan.

Wilson did nothing at all to improve this team after they lost to the Blues in the playoffs.
Not sure why people keep saying this. The coaching change was huge and stuart was a huge signing. PK was our glaring problem last year and he fixed it. Giving sheppard a regular place on the team is also the right move. He did make a mistake IMO with burish, but on balance the moves he made were positive and a 4th line signing should not make or break the team.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:23 AM
couturefan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Not sure why people keep saying this. The coaching change was huge and stuart was a huge signing. PK was our glaring problem last year and he fixed it.
Bringing over Larry Robinson and signing Stuart was good, but that's not good enough for a "stanley cup contending team".

Last season the Sharks lacked speed, secondary scoring, and physicality. Doug Wilson could have traded or signed a top 6 goal scorer. He should have made changes with the core, something similar to the Flyers and Kings trade. This team obviously needs a culture change.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:34 AM
couturefan39

And people want to know why we lack secondary scoring.

2009-10

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Malhotra-Couture-Mitchell/McGinn

2010-11

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Wellwood

Both of the seasons we had balanced scoring and that's how they made it to the WCF.

Now:

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat (that line has been disappointing because Clowe and Havlat are not producting).
Then our 3rd line has been juggled around the likes of Handzus, Galiardi, Gomez, Wingels that don't bring anything offensively.

Doug Wilson has failed how to build a team that needs more scoring depth, speed, and physicality.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:42 AM
Phu

Quote:
Last season the Sharks lacked speed, secondary scoring, and physicality.
Burish was a speed signing, Sheppard was a depth scoring move. Speed was actually address last season with Winnik and Galiardi, the latter of which is now on the team. The bottom 6 aside from Handzus is not slow at all.

Quote:
Doug Wilson could have traded or signed a top 6 goal scorer.
Which one?

Quote:
He should have made changes with the core, something similar to the Flyers and Kings trade. This team obviously needs a culture change.
Neither team changed their core. Changing the core is giving up. That is not what a stanley cup team needs, obviously.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:51 AM
couturefan39

Quote:
Burish was a speed signing, Sheppard was a depth scoring move. Speed was actually address last season with Winnik and Galiardi, the latter of which is now on the team. The bottom 6 aside from Handzus is not slow at all.

Which one?

Neither team changed their core. Changing the core is giving up. That is not what a stanley cup team needs, obviously.
1. Burish is not fast, half the time he looks lost out there. I like the trade for Sheppard, he's been pretty good. Also happy with Wingels, he's been impressive lately (before he got hurt).

2. Anyone. I know Peter Mueller has had concussion problems in the past but when he's healthy, he can score a lot of goals. I wanted him in the off-season and PA Parenteau. They would both be a good fit on Thornton's line. We could have traded a defenseman for a guy like Chad LaRose who can score and plays with grit.

Remember the Clutterbuck for Demers rumor? I would do that in a heart beat. If McLellan is going to keep benching Demers, then why not. If the Panthers are going to sell I would be fine with one of Mueller, Fleischmann, Versteeg.

3. Philly traded their former captain and their 1st rd pick Carter, so yes that was a huge core change.

It's obvious the Sharks need a change because there is no way in hell they will win a Cup with this core.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Phu

Quote:
And people want to know why we lack secondary scoring.

2009-10

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Malhotra-Couture-Mitchell/McGinn

2010-11

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
McGinn-Couture-Wellwood

Both of the seasons we had balanced scoring and that's how they made it to the WCF.

Now:

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat (that line has been disappointing because Clowe and Havlat are not producting).
Then our 3rd line has been juggled around the likes of Handzus, Galiardi, Gomez, Wingels that don't bring anything offensively.

Doug Wilson has failed how to build a team that needs more scoring depth, speed, and physicality.
Couture was not on the 09 team until near the end, there's really only 1 forward difference between these teams and the current one. That forward was swapped for a fast offensive defenseman who is currently not in the lineup, so there's your likely primary reason for our problems.

Parity is rough, our division has gotten way tougher since those years. To be down a major roster piece like we are is no small issue.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Phu

Quote:
1. Burish is not fast, half the time he looks lost out there.
Lo, where ya been? http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1355667
you are right that he looks lost a lot, lack of a training camp is probably most responsible for that. that wasn't in DW's control.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:14 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
This. Every player at ever level of hockey wants to score a goal. The fact that our bottom six seems incapable speaks to talent problem more than a system or coaching problem. The top six not scoring has similar connotations. Juicy and havlat were playing great to start but then the boat anchor that they were dragging around (clowe) finally brought down the whole line. Now it seems everyone is gripping the stick too tightly as they are missing some easy chances on a regular basis. Sadly this team doesn't appear to have any game changers at forward at the moment. I hope that's just a collective lack of confidence and not a legitimate lack of talent that we fans have just over rated. It seems to me like if they could just break thru and get a couple they might uncork their offensive constipation. I mean were the first 2 weeks really all about luck over talent..? I hope not...
Ya, i'll add that some players are more goal scorers some are more set up players. I think we have plenty of set up players but need more finishers mixed into in the top 9. Remember Jumbo and Cheecho, perfect complement of set up player and finisher.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:52 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
The bottom-6 has sucked for years and DW has failed to fix it. We do not and did not need a great GM to come in to fix that. He just has no idea what to do with minor, support players (bottom-6, bottom pair defenseman). We'd have a much better team now if we had let him go and brought in someone else to finish the job.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:49 PM
vilpertti

The bottom six has seen as many variations and emphasises on different things or combinations of things as there has been seasons with DW. The top6 has seen quite a few looks itself too.

There was a time when the Sharks were considered a fast team, they didn't win the cup then. Now they're considered a big, slower team and it's not looking any better.

What it speaks to is, that there is no one single recipe for success or failure. Winning it all in this league is damn hard. Everyone of course has played NHL12 and knows how to win, with fast and hard hitting teams that score with onetimers from the slot. I wish DW played NHL12 just like all the other pros over here.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
The bottom six has seen as many variations and emphasises on different things or combinations of things as there has been seasons with DW. The top6 has seen quite a few looks itself too.

There was a time when the Sharks were considered a fast team, they didn't win the cup then. Now they're considered a big, slower team and it's not looking any better.

What it speaks to is, that there is no one single recipe for success or failure. Winning it all in this league is damn hard. Everyone of course has played NHL12 and knows how to win, with fast and hard hitting teams that score with onetimers from the slot. I wish DW played NHL12 just like all the other pros over here.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
03-02-2013, 02:18 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Not sure why people keep saying this. The coaching change was huge and stuart was a huge signing. PK was our glaring problem last year and he fixed it. Giving sheppard a regular place on the team is also the right move. He did make a mistake IMO with burish, but on balance the moves he made were positive and a 4th line signing should not make or break the team.
Several points. They did fix the PK. But part of the fix for the PK may be what is bringing down the scoring. Their 5on5 d zone coverage is different and it looks like a Robinson/NJ system. NJ did it with skaters. IMO, it could be the mixture of styles which is hamstringing the team and not the players. I do think there is a perfect storm which has knocked the Sharks down a notch from last year. I don't think that with a short season that it is a good idea to make major style changes. Too easy to fail. Part of the perfect storm is DW's lack of attention to what he needs for the bottom lines and his lack of skill prospects in the farm system. I think that he has played a little bit of the grass is greener game in his personnel decisions and that never works well. All sorts of little chickens coming home to roost.

I don't think the Sharks are anywhere near out of the playoffs yet. But I do think that they have set themselves up for a huge fail if they do get to the post season. They are running into the whole thing of being too patient with slumps which has been an historical issue. The post-season doesn't allow for prolonged slumps.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Limekiller

I still regret that we didn't give Semin a try. Putting him with Thornton could have made for a potentially lethal combination, I think.

Given our current situation, I suspect us to be sellers rather than buyers at the deadline. This next draft is supposed to be a really good one, right? Probably really wouldn't hurt in the long run if we tank this year, get something for Clowe/Murray at the deadline, get a good draft slot for a change, then come back and make a go of it NEXT year. (hopefully with an upgrade to the head coach position...)

Old
03-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiller View Post
I still regret that we didn't give Semin a try. Putting him with Thornton could have made for a potentially lethal combination, I think.
Who says Semin would even sign in SJ?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:01 PM
domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Who says Semin would even sign in SJ?
The same ones who said he would sign in Carolina?

Old
03-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon View Post
The same ones who said he would sign in Carolina?
Carolina made more sense than SJ. Not leaving the E.C. and comfort plus they paid him. Not everyone wants to play in San Jose.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
All I can say is that the Semin-E. Staal-Tlusty line is magic. Semin's actually quite the playmaker, but between him and Eric, Tlusty is the ultimate garbage man. I'd love to have Tlusty on this team. But yeah, Semin's been a huge part of why Carolina looks pretty good this year.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Lebanezer

Just target Kessel already. Give them Clowe, Demers, Nieto and pick. That's the same as Dougie Hamilton and Tyler Seguin right?

Old
03-02-2013, 06:31 PM
DefaultSharkie6
˅ i want that so bad

just wondering is Jochen Hecht worth out time ?

Old
03-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultSharkie6 View Post
Nope. Hes finished.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:11 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultSharkie6 View Post
please, no players that are on the down side of their NHL lives. No ****ing project players either.

we need current NHL players that can play, not this crap!

Old
03-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Claude Lemiuex

Old
03-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Squeeven

I think Filppula is a guy I'd like to have on our team. What do you guys think of this proposal I came up with? I'm curious to hear your opinions on this because I know Red Wings fans like it.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1364899

Old
03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Number19

Something around Kessel for Pavelski would actually be best. Sharks need a speedy winger with a shot, while the leafs need a top 6 forward. I think Pavelski is useless as a winger and is much better suited at being a center. So whats the point of holding onto a player that the sharks can't even utilize properly? Both teams get what they want and I also want to see what Kessel can do with Thornton. Now that's the shakeup Shark and Leaf fans are looking for.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
SFSharkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Something around Kessel for Pavelski would actually be best. Sharks need a speedy winger with a shot, while the leafs need a top 6 forward. I think Pavelski is useless as a winger and is much better suited at being a center. So whats the point of holding onto a player that the sharks can't even utilize properly? Both teams get what they want and I also want to see what Kessel can do with Thornton. Now that's the shakeup Shark and Leaf fans are looking for.
I'm not too sure that the leaf fans are looking for a shakeup lol

Closed Thread