HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs 10th in TSN Power Rankings

Old
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
The Leafs are going to the Cup Finals this year. Their is no way any Eastern Conference team can handle the Leaf's toughness in a 7 game series.
Dude, we could be out of a playoff spot before the weekend.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:40 AM
contour

Remember that thing of teams going 1/3 through the year and the top 8 teams are almost guaranteed a playoff spot? yea... didn't go so well last year.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Good thing we got Lupul, Reimer and Frats on their way back now, help us further that push towards the playoffs. Feels good, but lets not get carried away. Have to take it a game at a time.

Felstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Very possible. Boston has the same amount of points as us but 5 games less played and there's a logjam of teams under us plus we don't play this weekend so we need to perform these next two games to be comfortable.

02-26-2013, 10:55 AM
HeroNtF

Quote:
The Leafs are going to the Cup Finals this year. Their is no way any Eastern Conference team can handle the Leaf's toughness in a 7 game series.
Lets not jump the gun and plan parades...lets just hope we make the playoffs and if we do that it isnt a 4 game sweep.. Teams not complete yet, but showing lots of heart and talent !

HeroNtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
We could also be 1st in the division by the weekend.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:19 AM
deuce457

you guys do remember the leafs had the exact same start last year under Ron Wilson?

10 - 5 - 1 to start the year.

Although I do have more faith in Carlyle and the way this team plays to prevent a 13 game slide though. Or maybe the shortened season and likely hood of getting a team on a 3rd game in 4 nights makes me feel more comfortable about the leafs not falling off the cliff.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
you guys do remember the leafs had the exact same start last year under Ron Wilson?

10 - 5 - 1 to start the year.

Although I do have more faith in Carlyle and the way this team plays to prevent a 13 game slide though. Or maybe the shortened season and likely hood of getting a team on a 3rd game in 4 nights makes me feel more comfortable about the leafs not falling off the cliff.
Difference is goal differential. +11 this year, -8 or something like that at this point of games played last year. We're keeping it close and scoring still.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Trollmarov View Post
We could also be 1st in the division by the weekend.
Thank you. The Leafs have all the parts in place to make a long play-off run. No additions should be made; they would only hurt the already amazing chemistry.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Name an Eastern Conference team, and explain just how they could beat the Leafs in a 7 game series. The Leafs are just as talented as any one of those teams, and they are tougher. Talent + Tough = Cup Finals. It's simple math.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Name an Eastern Conference team, and explain just how they could beat the Leafs in a 7 game series. The Leafs are just as talented as any one of those teams, and they are tougher. Talent + Tough = Cup Finals. It's simple math.
How about we make the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade before declaring how likely we are to go to the finals.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
14-8-2 last year
12-8-0 this year

2-0-2 to go to match last year.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
How about we make the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade before declaring how likely we are to go to the finals.
I still have yet to see anyone write a good argument why this current Leafs' team is not going to the Cup Finals. This is not the same roster as before. This is a new line-up of more skill and a lot more toughness.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
I still have yet to see anyone write a good argument why this current Leafs' team is not going to the Cup Finals. This is not the same roster as before. This is a new line-up of more skill and a lot more toughness.
Not a lot of playoff experience, untested goaltending, inconsistent defensive coverage throughout a game, etc.

Like really man? Are you really trying to argue that the Leafs are going to win the SC this year?

Old
Deebo

Quote:
I think the path to the SCF will have to go through either the Bruins or Penguins. I don't the Leafs have what it takes to beat either of those teams in a 7 game series.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Animal

Quote:
Please don't post on the main boards. This is why leafs fans are laughed at by other fan bases

Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:20 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
Please don't post on the main boards. This is why leafs fans are laughed at by other fan bases
Just decided to look where his allegiances lie... appears as if he's a Canucks fan.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Just decided to look where his allegiances lie... appears as if he's a Canucks fan.
I guess hockey fans cannot have more than one team they appreciate?
Actually, I am a hockey fan, and feel the Leafs are playing 'old-time' Canadian hockey. They are playing for each other, and with skill and toughness. They are an enjoyable team to watch. They can beat any team in the East, even Boston. The Leafs are tougher than Boston. Control the Boston bullies and they are an easy team to beat. The Leafs would beat Boston for certain.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Animal

Quote:
I guess hockey fans cannot have more than one team they appreciate?
Actually, I am a hockey fan, and feel the Leafs are playing 'old-time' Canadian hockey. They are playing for each other, and with skill and toughness. They are an enjoyable team to watch. They can beat any team in the East, even Boston. The Leafs are tougher than Boston. Control the Boston bullies and they are an easy team to beat. The Leafs would beat Boston for certain.
Boston has destroyed us for the past few seasons. Maybe its a tad premature to claim that the leafs would beat Boston "for certain"

Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I think the path to the SCF will have to go through either the Bruins or Penguins. I don't the Leafs have what it takes to beat either of those teams in a 7 game series.
After Crosby and Malkin, theres not a whole lot that scares me on the Pens. They lack depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
Boston has destroyed us for the past few seasons. Maybe its a tad premature to claim that the leafs would beat Boston "for certain"
Leafs were 4-2 vs Boston season before last.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
ITM

Quote:
Cup Finalists will have:

a) Made the playoffs.

b) Won a Conference Quarter-Finals Round

c) Won a Conference Semi-Finals Round

d) Won a Conference Finals Round.

Ignore clubs like Pittsburgh, Carolina, Boston, and a depleted Senators team still winning. Ignore underachieving clubs like Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Washington.

Toronto has yet to fulfill a nevermind b through d. When a is achieved b is possible and so on.

I love the roster, I'll love it more when it's appropriately enhanced, but we're dealing with a delicate hypothetical...And where impression is concerned, we as "Leafs Nation" need to lay off the rhetoric and strap ourselves to that HNIC cliche: "We're taking it one game at a time."

I'm sure this place will explode if we get to a, but for now, we need to be like a bunch of little Fonzies...

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
After Crosby and Malkin, theres not a whole lot that scares me on the Pens. They lack depth.
Do you think Toronto would beat them in a 7 game series?

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Best part of this team, the core is young.. Only way to go is up in the years to come.

02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Best part of this team, the core is young.. Only way to go is up in the years to come.
They are by no means an old team, but they have 2 players under 25 on the team.

Kadri and Van Riemsdyk are the only 2 players under 25 on the team.

This is not a bad thing, as the results show.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
That's true. More importantly, the establishment of an identity means attracting UFAs who fit that style of play will be much easier. Augmenting a young core with UFAs that will contribute to keeping the Leafs a good team for a number of years is essential for long term success.