HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Pavel Datysuk: over-rated or under-rated?

View Poll Results: HF ___________.
over-rates Pavel Datysuk 142 45.81%
under-rates Pavel Datsyuk 62 20.00%
is accurate in their views on Pavel Datsyuk 106 34.19%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Spitsfan67*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Pavel Datsyuk is the best two-way player in the league. Has been for quite some time.
And this is a reason he is over rated....he IS NOT the best two way player in the league, I'd take Crosby everyday of the week, he's the best two way player in the league.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Everyone overrates this guy, seriously, I don't know what he's done to be considered to be one of the best in the league. He has never gotten 100 points in a season, is not even close to a point a game and the closest he's gotten to 50 goals in a season is 32. It's like he's the best just because of his defensive game and sportsmanship which he only wins due to him being overrated.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:28 PM
bdawg1989*

Overrated as hell. Some say he's the best player in the world ? He's not even the best player on his own team. Zetterberg was better during the 2 Cup finals vs Pittsburg and is still better today.

If anything, Z is underrated.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Regal

It's really hilarious to see people undermine him with certain things like "he's never been a 100 point player" or he only has one second team All Star selection or he's not a PPG in his career or he wasn't the best player on his cup team without qualifying any of these things.

First, the cutoff for 100 points and a PPG career is convenient because it just leaves off Datsyuk's two 97 point seasons (both 4th in league scoring), as well as his .987 PPG in his career, despite him starting his career on the lower lines of a great team. For the record, his PPG since the '05 lockout is 1.08, which is 6th among active players, behind Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Thornton and Spezza.

As for end of year All Star teams, he plays the hardest position to get a spot on, so one second team is pretty good, considering only seven other centres have received an All Star nod since the lockout (Thornton, Staal, LeCavalier, Crosby, Malkin, Sedin and Stamkos), and Staal and LeCavalier are in the same boat as Datsyuk with one second place finish.

The playoff argument is crazy as well. Taking his career playoff record is unfair as he wasn't a major part of the team until the year before the lockout, and although he wasn't great in that year, since the lockout he's 0.92 PPG in the lockout, which is 12th among players who've played more than 40 games. His only really disappointing playoffs was the second cup final appearance where he was dealing with injuries, and the two years after he was one of the best players in the playoffs. Sure Zetterberg was better in the cup win, but Datsyuk was still great as well. Similarly, it shouldn't diminish Crosby's playoffs that Malkin won the Conn Smythe in their cup win.

As for the question, he's both. Some people see the dangling skills and the highlight reels and consider him in the discussion for the best player in the league along with Crosby and Malkin, but he doesn't quite put up the same production to match those guys. Others seem to get annoyed by this "overrating", but in trying to argue against it end up undermining and underrating him. Then that causes other people to overrate him in defense. In the end, while he's not a Crosby or Malkin, his production is still really good. He was one of the scoring leaders last year before he got injured, and the year before was on pace for 86 points. He's also in the top 10 for points so far in this shortened season. When you consider his defense and the way he can control the pace of a game, I think he's definitely still a top 10 player in the league, and possibly a top 5 forward. To me, it seems odd how quick people are to put Tavares above him, and even Giroux.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
lboogie42*

Love dats but he is the most overrated player on hf. He's a great player but some people act like he's a top 10 forward of all time on these boards. Which, in fact, he's not.
Still love the guy tho

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
lboogie42*

He's not even better then zetterberg....

Old
02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

underrated. Pavel Datsyuk is still a outstanding 2 way player.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Very overrated on HF.

Maybe slightly underrated elsewhere.

He's still a terrific player though.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Vladiator

Funny how Datsyuk is clearly also overrated by NHL players, who voted him as the second best player in the NHL a year go. Seems that only people on HF who call him overrated know that he is overrated!

Vladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator View Post
Funny how Datsyuk is clearly also overrated by NHL players, who voted him as the second best player in the NHL a year go. Seems that only people on HF who call him overrated know that he is overrated!
I trust their opinion over some random internet nerds on HF. They also voted him one of the most underrated players.

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
The Nose

He is what he is. This overrated/underrated stuff gets on my nerves, its impossible to judge unless its blatantly obvious, which it isn't.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Prattio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalsfordinner View Post
Thats why Datsyuk is overated.
This.

Pavel datsyuk is only overrated when you try to put him in the company of Malkin stamkos and Crosby. This is true of any defensive forward flavor of the month on HF (see kopitar or toews). People forget a forwards job is to score. Defensive two way forwards are great but I can find you 10 3rd line centers who can do what Pavel datsyuk does in his own end only difference is they dont score like him.

Defenseman take crap all the time for jumping into the play and trying to create offense at the expense of their defensive responsibility. Look at all the people who **** on karlson because he's so offensive minded. I don't get why it only works one way. It's admirable of datsyuk to sacrifice offensive opportunity to play tighter d but its a knock on karlson for doing the opposite.

datsyuk is a great player and probably a top ten (top 5 maybe) player in the league. He can do things with the puck no one else can. But datsyuk is not in the running for best player in the game. And he was only close once.

Prattio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
TychoFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
He is what he is. This overrated/underrated stuff gets on my nerves, its impossible to judge unless its blatantly obvious, which it isn't.
Exactly how I see it.

I do think that Datsyuk is an amazing player though.

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Nyquist

It's hard to say because in general people either overrate him or underrate him. He isn't as good as Crosby is (not a bad thing at all), but he's also not in the lower end of the top 10 like many are suggesting. I have no doubt in my mind that he could put up closer to 100 every year if he weren't so focused on defense.

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:15 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
He's not even better then zetterberg....
Example of him being underrated lol.

Since 2009 his best wingers have been guys like Bertuzzi, Cleary, Holmstrom and occasionally Franzen but usually not him.

He still has the 6th best points per game since the lock out playing a bunch of years with guys like that (Abdelkader and Cleary this year) and is clearly more of a threat out there than Zetterberg consistently

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
Love dats but he is the most overrated player on hf. He's a great player but some people act like he's a top 10 forward of all time on these boards. Which, in fact, he's not.
Still love the guy tho

lol, nice hyperbole. Find me one post where someone claims he's a top 10 forward of all time or even close to it.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
He's well rated and this thread proves it.
He's a great player, but a step below the very best players in the world. The gap isn't very high.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
lol, nice hyperbole. Find me one post where someone claims he's a top 10 forward of all time or even close to it.
lol not gonna waste my time. but the way people talk about him you would think so. if i was new to hockey and never saw dats play, and i came on hf and read what everyone says about him, id think he was a top 10 forward of all time. hes overrated on hf alot

Old
02-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Dynheart

They talk about him like that because no body to date has plays like Datsyuk. We probably wont see someone play remotely close to him for years to come.

On top of that, he does this while staying a top 5 player currently. That makes him a very unique player that will be remembered. You can bank on that.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Shoryuken
👊

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post

never change, Detroit fans
Never change, Colorado fans.

Shoryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
nwaZ

How would Datsyuk's playmaking abilities be "generational"? Embarrasing.

nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
I voted "rated even"

Lots of overraters and lots of underraters

My opinion is he is a top 5 player who has the ability to steal the spotlight going head to head against anyone in the league.

On the subject of Crosby, he's the most overrated player on HF, especially when I see people posting about him being among the "best of all time", but I still concede he's the best in the league RIGHT NOW. Doesn't mean I like him or would even want him on my team though.

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
Your sound logic isn't welcome here... and he was only on the all star team once (selections that are voted for by the fans.....) and blah blah derpy durrrr hurrdurr.
The All-Star team being referred to is the postseason All-Star selections, which are voted for by the same media group that votes for the NHL Awards - except for the Vezina, Lindsay, statistical awards (Ross, Jennings, plus-minus award) and the ego-driven "I'm Mark Messier's friend today" award.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
WingsMike
Registered Man

I think lately his numbers have been deceiving. He is the best player on the ice every game, but he doesn't put up giant numbers (still 22 pts in 18 games) in part to playing with Cleary and Abdelkader, who are both awful offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prattio View Post
Defensive two way forwards are great but I can find you 10 3rd line centers who can do what Pavel datsyuk does in his own end
No you can't.

WingsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:09 PM
ashenhigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Datsyuk.This Pavel Datsyuk kid. He is what he is. Theres alot of players who are greatly overrated in their own way, but Pavel Datsyuk is different.I`m actually afraid of how overrated he is.We have never seen such overrating before,never ever.He is : colossally, greatly,amazingly etc overrated. I estimate he gets 1000 times more credit than he deserves. I dont think i even realize yet how overrated he is.Maybe after his career is over i lear to respect the effort his fans are able to put on overrating him.Not a single poster in HF history has less than overrated him.
Your entire M.O. On these forums is to go into every Datsyuk thread and speak less of him. Viewing your posting stats is sad. So much disdain for a great player who is even a better person, makes no sense. Are you related to Corey Perry perhaps?

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote