HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Ordinary Players, Extraordinary Playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Habsfan 32

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Claude Lemieux. He was never that good in the season but when the playoff started he was alot better and played better offensivly.

Old
03-26-2005, 05:57 PM
MB1

Greg Paslwaski in the 1986 playoffs for St. Louis. This was an underfinanced team owned by the penny-pinching Harry Ornest. They came within 1 goal in Game 7 of knocking off the soon-to-be-champion Flames. They came from 3 goals behind in the thrid period of Game 6 to win it. Two of the goals were by Paslawski, including the game tying goal with about a minute left. (He stole the puck from behind Jamie Macoun and put it behind Mike Vernon all in one motion.) The Blues went on to lose Game 7 2-1.

In the first round game, the Blues beat the North Stars in 7 thanks to two goals by Paslawski.

His stats in that run were 17 games, 10 goals, 7 assists.

By the way, Doug Gilmour suddenly broke out in the playoffs that year, foreshadowing what he would become. (He was had 9 goals and 12 assists).

Old
03-27-2005, 12:51 AM
gary69

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
He was a winger.
Sorry, my memory doing tricks for me (I'm not a Flyers fan), I have a few Flyers games on tape from playoffs that season, I'd better watch them again.

Did he play point on powerplay though, maybe that's why I remember his slapper.

Old
03-28-2005, 07:30 AM
isles52480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Recalling long-forgotten names like Gingras, Paul Dipietro and Moe Lemay(!) makes this thread amusing. Re-activating the "memory" synapses of the brain.

The great Isles teams featured several players who were pretty ordinary October -March, but notably morphed into excellent players once spring rolled around, though their statistics alone may not attest to that.

Three who immediately come to mind:
Wayne Merrick
Duane Sutter
Gordie Lane

As a fan, I learned from observing these guys to judge the value of players first an foremost based on how they perform when it matters most. (Conversely, of course, there are superb players during the regular season who are incapable of elevating their game in the post-season.) As is, the Isles were repeatedly led to their Cups by their top core players, but the contributions of their supporting cast, such as the trio above, increased exponentially once April rolled around, 1980-83.
For the Isles, I'll throw Ken Morrow out there as well. 17 goals in 550 regular season games and 11 goals in 127 playoff games including a few biggies.

Old
03-28-2005, 08:39 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

OK I've got one:

LONNY BOHONOS!!

1998-99 - Toronto Maple Leafs

The year the Maple Leafs made it to the semi finals vs. Buffalo.

Fredrik Modin was stinking it up really badly with Sundin and Thomas so Quinn brought up Bohonos from the Rock to play wing with Sundin and Thomas.

Plays 9 games - 3 goals, 6 assists - 9 points.

Whatever happened to this Bohonos guy again?

Old
03-28-2005, 08:51 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Lonny Bohonos scored 22 points in 36 games in '96-'97 for Vancouver.
He was known to have spurts of good play. He just couldn't maintain it and always got sent down.

Here's an ordinary player who became playoff hero: Bates Battaglia scored 14 points on the Hurricanes' Cup run.

Old
03-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Malefic74

The 93 Habs had two guys who fit this particular slipper:

Gilbert Dionne 6 goals 6 assists in 20 games.

Paul Dipietro 8 goals 5 assists in 17 games.

Dionne only had 48 points on the season, Dipietro had 17 in 29 games.

Old
03-28-2005, 12:50 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
The 93 Habs had two guys who fit this particular slipper:

Gilbert Dionne 6 goals 6 assists in 20 games.
Was it in that playoff run, that Dionne scored an overtime goal that he tipped in, and as soon as it went in he started pointing to his chest saying he scored that goal. I remember Cherry ripping into him for that.

Old
03-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
Was it in that playoff run, that Dionne scored an overtime goal that he tipped in, and as soon as it went in he started pointing to his chest saying he scored that goal. I remember Cherry ripping into him for that.
The funny thing is, he never tipped it in. The goal was credited, rightly so, to another player making Dionne look even worse.

Old
03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
John Druce in 89-90.

Old
03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LousyBoyPHX
Gary Roberts. I dont consider him a star. Gigeure, he wasnt a star, still isnt. Im young so i only have recent knowledge.
I agree you must be young...Gary Roberts was indeed a star player, particularly in his prime, say 1991 until his injury in 1996...even now he's an above average NHLer who true enough is the kind of warrior your team loves to have come playoff time

Martin Gelinas semi-qualifies I think. true he did have a 17 goal season last year, but he was often critized, and Sutter hinted prior to the season that he was overpaid waiver wire material...he did pick it up in the playoffs , playing a key role on the Flames first line...but he wasn't exactly obsure Druce/Kontos material which I think is supposed to be the essence of this thread

Old
03-31-2005, 02:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman
What are some of the best playoff performances by guys you wouldn't normally expect to see step up and dominate because of whatever reason?

a few of mine

John Druce in 1990- What the hell was this? Mediocre forward who barely played any games in the league, steps up and scores 14 goals and 17 points in 15 playoff games, leading the Capitals to the conference finals. Had a decent NHL career afterwards, but never came close to replicating that bizarre playoff.

Neil Broten 1995- 35 years old, only 4 points (all assists) in 17 games with Dallas, his career is finished right? wrong. Lamoriello brings him to NJ and he catches fire, the old man scores 28 points in 30 regular season games, then 19 points in 20 playoff games leading the Devils to there first Cup. that was pretty much his last hurrah in the NHL.

Todd Bergen- Who? Rookie played a key role in the Flyers 1985 run to the cup finals, scored 11 goals and 16 points in 14 regular season games, then followed it up with 13 points in 17 playoff games. Never played in the NHL again after that 1985 cup finals.
Bergen wanted more money from the Flyers and if you know the Flyers you know how that usually works out, went on to play golf.

Old
03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2488
Another is the Flyers' Joe Paterson. He played in 6 regular season games in 1984-85 (0 points) then tallied 3-4-7 in 17 p/o games that season.

Closed Thread