HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Colorado adding Ice girls

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 05:51 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Colorado adding Ice girls

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2013/6...nche-ice-girls

Auditions in July.

So what's the count of teams that have (scantily dressed) ice girls?

And where would you put San Jose who have female (and male) warmup-gear clad folks to clean the ice?

Old
06-11-2013, 06:19 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

I don't know, but I was glad New Jersey kept "the men in the white jackets" when they moved. No one had better act out of line on their ice, they'll end up in a padded room.

Sabres have the same deal, dudes in track suits. Less of a gimmic, fine by me.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
So what's the count of teams that have (scantily dressed) ice girls?... And where would you put San Jose who have female (and male) warmup-gear clad folks to clean the ice?
I have no idea how many teams have them, but I think its a terrific idea provided your audience in-rink is predominantly male aged 24-44. Not all markets are the same in that regard, San Jose' quite likely having a more balance audience in terms of gender, perhaps more family oriented & so hence the split in male to female "ice groomers". But sure, places like Florida, Tampa & Dallas, LA, Philly, wherever your market in-building is predominantly male, great idea. Those grooming teams also going out into the community promoting the franchise, working with charities etc.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:

Auditions in July.

And where would you put San Jose who have female (and male) warmup-gear clad folks to clean the ice?
Thirteen (14 with Colorado) teams have ice girls and six teams have cheerleaders.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Wings crew is male and female, clad in the home team jerseys. Plenty of places to ogle scantily clad males or females, depending on your preference. No idea why Americans think a sporting event is one of them...

Old
06-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Wings crew is male and female, clad in the home team jerseys. Plenty of places to ogle scantily clad males or females, depending on your preference. No idea why Americans think a sporting event is one of them...
It provides an additional promotional wing. Ice girls are expected to do various appearances, work with sponsors, and all that fun stuff.

If a sponsor is shelling out big money, they expect to derive some type of benefit from it for their employees and business. Simply saying, "Ice girls, go do an employee appreciation event" is a hell of a lot easier than trying to work in player appearances.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Rangers have Dancing Larry... I guess he's more of a motivational figure.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It provides an additional promotional wing. Ice girls are expected to do various appearances, work with sponsors, and all that fun stuff.

If a sponsor is shelling out big money, they expect to derive some type of benefit from it for their employees and business. Simply saying, "Ice girls, go do an employee appreciation event" is a hell of a lot easier than trying to work in player appearances.

If I'm paying the big bucks, I want the stars themselves, not any barbie doll surrogates. Reminds me of a luncheon the Wings put out for their corporate STHs. All the players and management attend and are seated amongst the attendees. You think that has greater appeal to their target or "come have lunch with the ice girls"?

I think Killy's point that this may appeal to a certain demographic is accurate, but most of the males paying big bucks will likely be in the 40-65 demographic. Also ignores the increasing representation of women in management.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:07 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
If I'm paying the big bucks, I want the stars themselves, not any barbie doll surrogates. Reminds me of a luncheon the Wings put out for their corporate STHs. All the players and management attend and are seated amongst the attendees. You think that has greater appeal to their target or "come have lunch with the ice girls"?

I think Killy's point that this may appeal to a certain demographic is accurate, but most of the males paying big bucks will likely be in the 40-65 demographic. Also ignores the increasing representation of women in management.
Still, they are hot. Sex sells, period

Old
06-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Still, they are hot. Sex sells, period

Are all NHL fans male? If you want to spend your money on sex, I'm sure there are better venues than an ice hockey rink.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Are all NHL fans male? If you want to spend your money on sex, I'm sure there are better venues than an ice hockey rink.
The players are there for the female NHL fans...

Old
06-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
The players are there for the female NHL fans...

I don't see any bare midriffs and six-packs.

On a more serious note, is there any evidence that ticket sales are helped by having ice girls? Someone says "sex sells". Yes, people bandy that about, but isn't on ice success the Holy Grail? I'd really like to see any evidence that buying decisions are influenced by the addition of the extra little fan experiences being built into the equation. If there is no evidence of the buying decision being affected, what's the point of this, or any other would be gimmick?

Old
06-12-2013, 07:18 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Hey Fugu, the Hurricanes now have a male cheerleader

Old
06-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
For the big-timers (and in the case of Detroit, I assume you're referring to those who have access to the Olympia Club), that's one thing. I was going more for things like the employee appreciation event at a car dealership that has a corner ad.

Sure, if I'm a primary sponsor with ads on the ice, only the best is expected. If they're a suiteholder, of course there'll be benefits. Below that...that's another story.

Quote:
I know in the case of Columbus, both the promo team and the ice crew is coed. The difference is that with the ice crew, the guys are basically ice techs and the girls are all figure skaters or hockey players (who can cover a lot of ice pretty quickly). No eye candy who can barely skate on the ice crew.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

All of it to please their beloved former player Patrick.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:58 PM
viperswhip

I have a friend who won't teach his daughter to skate for fear she may end up as an Ice Girl, so it's definitely not for everyone.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:37 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperswhip View Post
I have a friend who won't teach his daughter to skate for fear she may end up as an Ice Girl, so it's definitely not for everyone.
So, did he refuse to teach her to walk because she might become a streetwalker?

Maybe she shouldn't be taught any kind of finance skills for fear she might run a Ponzi scheme like Bernie Madoff.

And of course, she shouldn't be taught to drive because she might become a getaway driver.

No offense, but in my opinion, your friend is an idiot.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

I have no problem with ice girls, they're a marketing gimmick in markets that feel like they need it. No big deal. Particularly in American markets, where as I see it cheerleading is a big deal.. it's a bit foreign to me as a Canadian (no offense, really, but it's not the "thing" up here that it seems to be for the US), but clearly in collegiate sports, the NFL, NBA, it's beyond expected, it's required, it's part of the experience (MLB being the outlier). For the market trying to draw in the casual fan, give them what they want I say.

All that said, I would never want my Leafs to have ice girls. So I understand what you're saying Fugu, I do. But I think for most of our "keeping up with the Jones'" markets in the NHL you just hold your nose and nod your head at it.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
06-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Confucius

I think it's good, it gives the team another promo tool which can be used away from the arena. Mall visits, business openings, charity work all photo ops to get the team name out there.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Lucy

vCash: 100
Coyotes have female (and male for that matter) "Paw Patrol" people but the males wear jackets and pants (which I find disappointing!). The actual on-ice crew that cleans the ice during TV timeouts and such I think has a few women on it but they're just there doing a job, not dressed up or anything.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I have no problem with ice girls, they're a marketing gimmick in markets that feel like they need it. No big deal. Particularly in American markets, where as I see it cheerleading is a big deal.. it's a bit foreign to me as a Canadian (no offense, really, but it's not the "thing" up here that it seems to be for the US), but clearly in collegiate sports, the NFL, NBA, it's beyond expected, it's required, it's part of the experience (MLB being the outlier). For the market trying to draw in the casual fan, give them what they want I say.

All that said, I would never want my Leafs to have ice girls. So I understand what you're saying Fugu, I do. But I think for most of our "keeping up with the Jones'" markets in the NHL you just hold your nose and nod your head at it.
Good point, with MLB being the outlier, America's original past-time.

I think cheerleading really took off with the football culture. I was doing some research and noticed that originally cheerleading was all-male, starting at Princeton no less. Once WWII came around, women entered in larger numbers, and post-WWII saw the big transition from mostly male to mostly female (97% at the high school level, 50% at the collegiate level). How baseball managed to avoid it may be mostly an indication of how well it preserved its own traditions?

Regardless, it seems to be an experience only Americans need to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
Coyotes have female (and male for that matter) "Paw Patrol" people but the males wear jackets and pants (which I find disappointing!). The actual on-ice crew that cleans the ice during TV timeouts and such I think has a few women on it but they're just there doing a job, not dressed up or anything.
I once suggested that hockey players should have to wear form-fitting lycra uniforms. I think this can really help the game grow with specific types of would-be fans in newer markets.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Lucy

vCash: 100
Quote:
I once suggested that hockey players should have to wear form-fitting lycra uniforms. I think this can really help the game grow with specific types of would-be fans in newer markets.
Female fans (and gay male fans like me) can always hope for technology of protective equipment being able to be smaller and just as protective

Could be the way of the future. The reduced size would help with the "plague" of shot blocking that people seem to be so against too. It's a no-lose situation!

Old
06-14-2013, 11:25 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Auditions in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Hey Fugu, the Hurricanes now have a male cheerleader
We've had one for awhile now, THH. Big Mike is a Storm Squad member, after all (and considerably less creepy than the other guy they added this year).

To answer Fugu's first point and correct Freudians incorrect numbers, the following are the cheer squads and ice girls in the league (not including the new Avs group):
  • Anaheim Ducks Power Players
  • Boston Bruins Ice Girls
  • Carolina Hurricanes Storm Squad
  • Chicago Blackhawks Ice Crew
  • Columbus Blue Jackets Pepsi Power Patrol
  • Columbus Blue Jackets Kia Ice Crew
  • Dallas Stars Ice Girls
  • Detroit Red Wings Volunteer Energy Red Patrol
  • Edmonton Oilers Octane
  • Florida Panthers Redline Lady Panthers
  • Los Angeles Kings Ice Crew
  • New Jersey Devils Devils Dancers
  • New York Islanders Academy Mortgage Ice Girls
  • Phoenix Coyotes Paw Patrol
  • Pittsburgh Penguins Ice Crew
  • Tampa Bay Lightning Lightning Girls
  • Washington Capitals Red Rockers

So that's 17 groups amongst 16 teams. Avs will bump that up to 18 groups amongst 17 teams.

06-14-2013, 11:42 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
As long as they get the job done and relate well to the crowd, fine. Probably more approachable for kids and fans than meatheads. Uniforms can be classy too, and not all about TnA.

Example:

Old
06-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
We've had one for awhile now, THH. Big Mike is a Storm Squad member, after all (and considerably less creepy than the other guy they added this year).

To answer Fugu's first point and correct Freudians incorrect numbers, the following are the cheer squads and ice girls in the league (not including the new Avs group):
  • Anaheim Ducks Power Players
  • Boston Bruins Ice Girls
  • Carolina Hurricanes Storm Squad
  • Chicago Blackhawks Ice Crew
  • Columbus Blue Jackets Pepsi Power Patrol
  • Columbus Blue Jackets Kia Ice Crew
  • Dallas Stars Ice Girls
  • Detroit Red Wings Volunteer Energy Red Patrol
  • Edmonton Oilers Octane
  • Florida Panthers Redline Lady Panthers
  • Los Angeles Kings Ice Crew
  • New Jersey Devils Devils Dancers
  • New York Islanders Academy Mortgage Ice Girls
  • Phoenix Coyotes Paw Patrol
  • Pittsburgh Penguins Ice Crew
  • Tampa Bay Lightning Lightning Girls
  • Washington Capitals Red Rockers

So that's 17 groups amongst 16 teams. Avs will bump that up to 18 groups amongst 17 teams.
As the Bruins have improved their play over the past 5 years, the ice girl presence has gone down each year. They used to go on the ice, but the teamsters who do the arena maintenance threatened to strike.

Now they just hand out programs and throw T shirts once every few games. They used to 2-3 times a game.

All of this is welcoming to me because they were massive annoyances to people watching the game. Last time I checked, the NFL didn't have cheer leaders roaming the stands during play to find the lucky fan to give a free pizza.

Closed Thread