HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs must maintain salary cap flexibility

Old
02-26-2013, 02:24 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Once previous contract mistakes are off the books by next year then Leafs will have more cap flexibility that they don't have this year.

Lots of Cap $$ in the pressbox and in the minors presently.
I dont see how these "contract mistakes" and cap in the press box as you allude to, being an issue at all. I'm pretty sure no other team in the NHL has a contract or two they are not too fond of. Fact is, Leafs are in a very good position cap wise, today and moving into the future.

What also seems to be overlooked, players like Kadri, Gardiner, Bozak, Reilly, and others in the future such as Colborne, Ashton, Finn and Percy could all be in the NHL in a couple of years, contributing to the Leafs, while on ELC, and essentially not taking a large cap hit.

This is evident with Fraser, Holzer and Kostka today, all regular NHLers, contributing, and not being a cap burder. I believe Ranger to be in that situation soon as well. One might think Burke, Nonis and Losielle may have actually knew what they were doing to allow for the infusion of youth and cost effective players contributing at the NHL level, now and in the future. Doesnt matter, Burke bashers will still find an excuse to complain.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Once previous contract mistakes are off the books by next year then Leafs will have more cap flexibility that they don't have this year. Lots of Cap $$ in the pressbox and in the minors presently.
Leafs have more than enough cap space this year, and plenty next year. Is that not enough? fact is signing UFA's is never a bargain. Cap space is not an issue one single bit.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Lupul's contract, imo, is fair value. Not a bargain, and not overpaid given he would've gotten the same (possibly more) as a UFA.
I would think what Lupul's doing for the Leafs this year would cast a lot of doubt about his value in the future. I know what's happened to him was a fluke but so was every other injury that's happened to him.

13 signed so that means 17 mil. left to sign 10 more players, that's Cox's idea of great cap management, interesting.

I'm thinking: Kadri(RFA)=3.5
Bozak(UFA)=3
Mac or replacement(UFA)=3
Komarov(RFA)=1.2
Gunnar(RFA)=2.5
Franson(RFA)=2

These 6 cost 15.2 mil. leaving 1.8 to resign 4 players. Remove Komo and we have 6.3 mil. to resign 4 players while also picking up Perry, I don't see a problem, lot's of flexability there.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
number72

Phaneuf is going to want a massive raise.
kessel we already know from bruins is going to want to get paid.
Then we have Grabbo and now Lupul on the books for 5M+++
And the cap is shrinking which will put strain on signing quality players to balance the team.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Phaneuf is going to want a massive raise.
kessel we already know from bruins is going to want to get paid.
Then we have Grabbo and now Lupul on the books for 5M+++
And the cap is shrinking which will put strain on signing quality players to balance the team.
Phaneuf's new contract wont kick in until after the end of next season
Kessel's new contract wont kick in until after the end of next season
The Leafs have several roster players, and some coming, on cheaper ELC's, which brings that balance
It's likely the cap will go up after next season.

All is not lost.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Phaneuf's new contract wont kick in until after the end of next season
Kessel's new contract wont kick in until after the end of next season
The Leafs have several roster players, and some coming, on cheaper ELC's, which brings that balance
It's likely the cap will go up after next season.

All is not lost.
It's a good thing the cap's going up, TO will need that just to stay with basically the same team we have now. Now there's a thought that should warm all Leaf fan's hearts.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Kibago

we do want flexibility, but we're also in a fantastic situation for having it. raises for Kessel, Kadri, (we need to lock him up, he could get a massive offer sheet,) and others will be cancelled out by stuff like replacing Komisarek ($4.5m) with an ELC contract and the end of the Tucker/Armstrong buyouts ($1m each.) I think we let MacArthur go this summer as well, and at least one other D will be traded.

having goalies in the Reimer/Scrivens price range REALLY helps. loading the minors with potential goalies was one of Burke's best moves.

In short, there's nothing stopping us from being major players in the FA market this year. If we want to throw a Godfather offer at Perry to force his hand and basically ensure that we get him (say, $54m for 6 years) we'll be able to make it work without any sacrifices anywhere else. I don't think we will - the team will want to establish it doesn't need to overpay, just pay well (I'm sure Kessel would be annoyed for signing at $7-7.5m per year if another forward is making 8-9.) But we can do it.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think they should reduce Phaneuf's playing time to about 18 minutes a night and use him on the 2nd. pairing.

Probably wouldn't be the best use of cap space, but I think he'd be good being a 2nd. pairing shutdown defender.

He might even be the best shutdown defender on the team.

They could then re-sign him for about 3 million per season.
Why not just send him to Marlies and then pay him 1.5 ?

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
5.5 for a shutdown center, if we can jettison this contract, Kessel and Phaneuf may take home discounts to remain here. No way they take less than 6.5 if this team is willing to pay 5.5 for Grabo. If you were an agent, it's completely logical to compare their importance to one of the highest recently re-upped contracts on the team. If Grabo is moved, they may be more willing to take the Tom Brady home discount.
Agree with this

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibago View Post
we do want flexibility, but we're also in a fantastic situation for having it. raises for Kessel, Kadri, (we need to lock him up, he could get a massive offer sheet,) and others will be cancelled out by stuff like replacing Komisarek ($4.5m) with an ELC contract and the end of the Tucker/Armstrong buyouts ($1m each.) I think we let MacArthur go this summer as well, and at least one other D will be traded.

having goalies in the Reimer/Scrivens price range REALLY helps. loading the minors with potential goalies was one of Burke's best moves.

In short, there's nothing stopping us from being major players in the FA market this year. If we want to throw a Godfather offer at Perry to force his hand and basically ensure that we get him (say, $54m for 6 years) we'll be able to make it work without any sacrifices anywhere else. I don't think we will - the team will want to establish it doesn't need to overpay, just pay well (I'm sure Kessel would be annoyed for signing at $7-7.5m per year if another forward is making 8-9.) But we can do it.
Even if we buy out Komi that leaves just over 20 mil to sign 10 players . If we signed Perry at 8 mil that leaves about 13 mil to sign 9 guys .

Our cap situation is far from great .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobarth View Post
It's a good thing the cap's going up, TO will need that just to stay with basically the same team we have now. Now there's a thought that should warm all Leaf fan's hearts.
What a ridiculous statement.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Agree with this
I like Bozak locked up at 3M for 5 years or in that neighbourhood, his play warrants a contract, if he makes it to UFA status, he will be picked up and this will hurt, we developed him to the player he is today. He is a very good #3C on our team moving fwd. He even provided insurance if a top 6 C is injured. Got to get him signed. F1.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:12 PM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Cap flexibility - whatever it takes for Nonis to sign one or both of Getz and Perry, just do it.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
What a ridiculous statement.
Why is this a rediculous statement ?

Kessel-Kadri-Frattin-Bozak-Komorov will all be do raises this summer or next

On D we only have 2 signed for next year assuming we buyout/trade Komi and all will be paid more than what there getting now

Our goalies are getting paid peanuts now and either they'll warrent raises or we'll have to go out and aquire one and we'll be spending more than the 2.4 combined we're spending now .

Paying Grabo/JML was a mistake and these are the type of deals that cripple your cap as you start to try to improve your team .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Tyke
Interested observer

Same goes for every team Damian, sheesh man, nothing else more interesting to write about today?

Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
Cap flexibility - whatever it takes for Nonis to sign one or both of Getz and Perry, just do it.
Maybe Perry will take a hometown discount to play for the Leafs in his home Province.

02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
dimi78

In the cap world all contracts signed are a risk to not work out no matter who it is who's signed. Good cap management isn't necessarily the cap hit it's the term of contracts where trouble comes up cause all contracts are guaranteed money made even worst now with the penalties on those circumventing contracts. Ideally no GM should offer any player a contract longer than 3 years ,5 years at most for your star players that way you maintain a trade asset if things don't go as expected but this isn't an ideal world and your kind of forced into longer term deals. The point I'm making is that in order to maintain cap flexibility you have to keep your players as tradeable assets and that's where TERM becomes an issue when change is needed .

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Why is this a rediculous statement ?

Kessel-Kadri-Frattin-Bozak-Komorov will all be do raises this summer or next

On D we only have 2 signed for next year assuming we buyout/trade Komi and all will be paid more than what there getting now

Our goalies are getting paid peanuts now and either they'll warrent raises or we'll have to go out and aquire one and we'll be spending more than the 2.4 combined we're spending now .

Paying Grabo/JML was a mistake and these are the type of deals that cripple your cap as you start to try to improve your team .
Kesssel's cap hit wont go up until the season after next. Kadri is an RFA, as is Frattin and Komorov, highly doubt they get massive raises. Holzer/Fraser are making near or at the league minimum, and will not break the bank, the same can be said about Kostka and Franson. JML is getting paid more than fair for what he brings, as does Grabo, unless you expect all players to be paid well below their FMV. The Leafs are not in bad shape one bit this year and next; there are many many teams that will have issues next year signing their own players let alone UFA's. The Leafs are in much better shape than most. Vancouver, Boston, Chicago and the Rangers all come to mind as teams that can potentially have some challenges.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Maybe Perry will take a hometown discount to play for the Leafs in his home Province.
There is fair chance Perry hits the UFA market, and will give some consideration to the Leafs.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:28 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Kesssel's cap hit wont go up until the season after next. Kadri is an RFA, as is Frattin and Komorov, highly doubt they get massive raises. Holzer/Fraser are making near or at the league minimum, and will not break the bank, the same can be said about Kostka and Franson. JML is getting paid more than fair for what he brings, as does Grabo, unless you expect all players to be paid well below their FMV. The Leafs are not in bad shape one bit this year and next; there are many many teams that will have issues next year signing their own players let alone UFA's. The Leafs are in much better shape than most. Vancouver, Boston, Chicago and the Rangers all come to mind as teams that can potentially have some challenges.
Why do you doubt Kadri, Frattin and Komarov get a massive raise, they don't deserve it, remember O'Reilly.

It's easy to say things are rosy in my version of Leafland but reality is a *****. Including yourself who wouldn't rather have a Nash than Grabo and JML and so long as their contracts remain with TO we can't afford to have one.

No, no lucky us we have a center who's never scored 70 points ever, in fact he's never scored 60 points, yet all centers in his pay grade have at least one 70 point season and usually more than one 70 point season, see Zetterberg. In fact I still wonder if Grabo knows how to pass.

We are also lucky to have JML who is one way and so bad that Colorado gave him away for a low 2nd round draft choice. The worse part of this JML was concussed while he was being signed and since he has returned we are not even being treated to his one way game.

I feel TO bids against itself for UFAs like Armstrong, Connolly, Komo oh too numerous to list them all and this is TO's greatest obstacle to improving but it is somewhat understandable because those players are signed without the proper due diligence like scouting, during free agency. Signing sub-grade roster players to rich contracts with term just doesn't make sense.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:50 PM
goonx

RFA in the new CBA has much less power than the old CBA. Kadri, Frattin and Komar will not likely get massive raises. Subban got 5mils/2 years.

I expect Kadri to get something similar and maybe ~3mils /2 years for Frattin and Komarov.

Franson and Gunnarsson have similar values. ~2 or 2.5 mils each.

Bozak sounds about right for 3mils. Hopefully he'll take a discount

Last edited by goonx: 02-26-2013 at 09:56 PM.
goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
sangreale

Why is there such hatred for Cox on this board? I don't get it.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
RFA in the new CBA has much less power than the old CBA. Kadri, Frattin and Komar will not likely get massive raises. Subban got 5mils/2 years.

I expect Kadri to get something similar and maybe ~3mils /2 years for Frattin and Komarov.

Franson and Gunnarsson have similar values. ~2 or 2.5 mils each.

Bozak sounds about right for 3mils. Hopefully he'll take a discount
Please explain the decrease in power that RFAs have now as compared to the previous CBA, there is no difference. O'Reilly has 2 options (1) hold out and (2) sign somewhere else, the same options that existed during the previous CBA.

I believe Kadri will play hardball, he'll want some love and I can't see why TO would not offer him some. His basis of comparison will be on TO, Bozak and Grabo, who he will I'm certain out score and outplay by a wide margin.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:35 AM
HellasLEAF
I want Capt'n Crunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
We need to hit a UFA home run for once. I think the last time was Mogilny.

Nonis better land a big fish that's all I"m saying. Tired of waiting around and missing out.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobarth View Post
Why do you doubt Kadri, Frattin and Komarov get a massive raise, they don't deserve it, remember O'Reilly.

It's easy to say things are rosy in my version of Leafland but reality is a *****. Including yourself who wouldn't rather have a Nash than Grabo and JML and so long as their contracts remain with TO we can't afford to have one.

No, no lucky us we have a center who's never scored 70 points ever, in fact he's never scored 60 points, yet all centers in his pay grade have at least one 70 point season and usually more than one 70 point season, see Zetterberg. In fact I still wonder if Grabo knows how to pass.

We are also lucky to have JML who is one way and so bad that Colorado gave him away for a low 2nd round draft choice. The worse part of this JML was concussed while he was being signed and since he has returned we are not even being treated to his one way game.

I feel TO bids against itself for UFAs like Armstrong, Connolly, Komo oh too numerous to list them all and this is TO's greatest obstacle to improving but it is somewhat understandable because those players are signed without the proper due diligence like scouting, during free agency. Signing sub-grade roster players to rich contracts with term just doesn't make sense.
So you believe all our RFA's will ask for Oreilly monery? Komorov a massive raise? The topping on the cake is suggesting you would rather have Nash and his massive cap hit over JML ans Grabo. You complain about cap, yet you want one of the biggest cap hits in the NHL on the Leafs. You are complaining for sake of complaining. and using no logic whatsoever. If you think Komoro/Frattin and Kadri all are going to look for Oreily money or a massive raise, you;re either trolling or dont have a clue. BTW, all these contracts you are complaining about, will be off the books either the end of this year or by next year. Again, complaing for the sake of it.