HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MTL/DAL] Erik Cole for Michael Ryder and 2013 3rd round pick

Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Plante
Ex Jr. B Goaler

vCash: 500
Woooooooooooooo

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
stop, drop and roll

Get over it already ..... none of us can judge what WILL happen but from the year so far, it's a steal .....AND for many OTHER reasons ($$$, pick, length on contract to open potentially a spot for a younger player)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Ryder has 0 points for Montreal. Your logic makes me cringe.

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Meh. It looks like he's lost a step or two offensively, but he's still very, very good defensively and in PK situations. He may not be worth his contract, but he'll always bring something to the team. He always puts in the effort. I can live with that until his contract expires, especially with the young guys we're integrating.
I can go along with that side of it with Gionta to. I know he will give an all out effort every nite. We also can't turn over every veteran in one year. I do think however that we have to continue getting bigger and grittier as we move forward. ( albeit the Cole trade does not do this). It does allow for another Prust type signing though. To many smallish players ie Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher, Diaz, Markov, Plekanac, etc.. is no good.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:04 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Yeah I'm not feeling the whole "got bent over" by the Habs here. I think you guys are nuts.
If i go back to your first responses weren't you saying that there must have been a draft pick heading Dallas' way and that you didn't understand it.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

If this trade involved last year's Cole, I'd be the first to complain about it. The way he played last season made him a much more valuable player than Ryder will ever be.

However, he just wasn't into it this season. He didn't want to play for the Habs. I think the simple fact we unloaded a 4,5M contract for the next 3 years makes this deal advantageous for the Habs considering the way he played lately. A 3rd on top of it is just a bonus.

As it stands, there's no way the Habs are losers with that trade. If Ryder doesn't fit, you can always let him go at the end of the season or however unlikely trade him to another team at the deadline. If Cole finds back his game in Dallas, good for him, but in no way can the Habs ever be losers on that deal.

Pretty happy overall.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
If i go back to your first responses weren't you saying that there must have been a draft pick heading Dallas' way and that you didn't understand it.
Mine?

My first response here:

This is a fair trade for all parties involved. We're just upset we didn't move Ryder for future assets when we're set to have a ton of kids jump into the lineup and future assets are low on the totem poll of things to acquire.

The initial report was that a pick was involved going back to Dallas, but it soon turned out to be a third to MTL.

I said: Cole + 2nd for Ryder + Edm 3rd? on the Dallas board. When more info was released, I said...

If it's one of our plethora of 3rds then I don't really give a **** about the picks, either.

Your move, bad poster.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:11 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
GREAT RDS link ..... Cole interviewed and "CLASSY" at the airport!

http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/diffic...ueurs-1.589871

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:11 PM
glenbuis

If Cole is not placed on the top line with qaulity guys, I don't think he will find his game. Next year when the escrow claws back his salary, I have a feeling he will become even more disinterested.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:12 PM
seanlinden

As a Leaf fan, I have to say this is a really solid move for Montreal. Cole had a good year last year, but guys who play like Cole generally don't last very long, and he had real potential to be a big cap liability.

In Ryder, they get a guy who can put the puck in the net, with basically zero long term risk. It's as hometown as you can get for a guy from Newfoundland, and he's had success in Montreal before. The pick, is just icing on the cake.

To me, the biggest concern (if I was a habs fan) would be size / physical play. This is already a pretty soft team, and swapping Cole for Ryder certainly doesn't change that. Having guys like Armstrong / Prust obviously help, but they can only affect the game so much playing 11 and 13 minutes a game respectively. Pacioretty is now pretty much on an island in their top 6.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:16 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Mine?

My first response here:

This is a fair trade for all parties involved. We're just upset we didn't move Ryder for future assets when we're set to have a ton of kids jump into the lineup and future assets are low on the totem poll of things to acquire.

The initial report was that a pick was involved going back to Dallas, but it soon turned out to be a third to MTL.

I said: Cole + 2nd for Ryder + Edm 3rd? on the Dallas board. When more info was released, I said...

If it's one of our plethora of 3rds then I don't really give a **** about the picks, either.

Your move, bad poster.
Your right. My bad and apoligies. There is another Dallas fan I had you mixed up with that has the similar changing picture. Hull fan i think he's called. Again my apoligies.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Bleeker

Saving money for Perry?

Bleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Cole scored 35 last year, it's not a crappy player going away.

That been said, he wasnt good this year.

First, they told us 4 pts in 14 games was a regular start of the year for Cole. Every single fan in Montreal was ready to takes it as a fact, we loved him so much last year the entire city was giving a free pass.

Then, i believe you could dig a journalism comment for every single game over the last 2 weeks that goes along those lines: "You can see Cole is starting to get back into form, more hustle on the boards, ..." 2 weeks! 8 games worth of "he's getting better" when he's simply not. I can count with 1 hand how many times he has driven to the net this year. He was doing it 2-3 times a game last year (minimum).

If he start driving the net again, very good deal for Dallas. But given the 2 years remaining on his contract, it's not a gamble Montreal could take.

Mind you it's also a gamble for Montreal for this year, looks like Ryder was red hot in Dallas. As streaky as he always has been, he might very well fall asleep for the rest of the year in a game or 2

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Man Bear Pig

I like the deal for the Habs, assuming that cap space is used wisely. If I'm a Habs fan I probably don't like this at first glance but come July, you may love this move.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Chacal667

how many third round pick do we have now ? I can't remember if we got a third for gill, kostitsyn or cammalleri

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Bleeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
how many third round pick do we have now ? I can't remember if we got a third for gill, kostitsyn or cammalleri
We have Nashville's 2nd from Gill trade and we also have Calgary's 2nd from the Bourque/Cammalleri trade.

Correct me if i'm wrong but as of now we have
Mtl 1st
Mtl 2nd
Cgy 2nd
Nash 2nd
Mtl 3rd
Dal 3rd

On a deep draft year , timmins must be thrilled

Last edited by Bleeker: 02-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Bleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Only on HF does a team that gives up the superior player (Cole) with a contract for next season, for a one dimensional pseudo-sniper in Ryder approaching UFA status win the deal.

Sure this frees up cap space next year to sign a UFA winger, but who's available? Michael Ryder???

Cole was written off too easily. Although their numbers were the same, there was no way that Ryder could replace what Cole did last year.

Obviously there must have been things going on behind the scenes in the Habs dressing room, or writing on the wall for Cole to give up on him 18 games after that season he gave us.

Although I do think if Ryder can park himself in scoring position Desharnais can give him the puck. Good little playmaker he is.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:43 PM
KingWantsCup
#FightLikeHell

vCash: 350
Fantastic deal for the Habs.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:47 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Dallas needs to be bigger to compete in the West.
Cole is 6'2 but falls easier and more often than the 5'8 Gallagher. Any Habs fan could tell you that he looked as if he had taken his retirement already.

He does provide some average hits with his speed but provides ZERO grit/toughness.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
1 first, 3 second, and 2 thirds, I think.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Habsterix*

I'm sad to see Cole leave. A classy player and individual, and a great leader.

We won't know the true value of this trade until the summer I'm guessing, as between the Gomez buyout and likely Kaberle, in addition to this trade, Bergevin has dropped close to $16M for each of the next couple of seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of two things happen:
  1. Bergevin will be going after a good UFA in the summer; or
  2. He has another deal brewing which would bring salary back.

Ryder could do well with Eller and Galchenyuk in the mean time.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Tarasenko
Unregistered User

vCash: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
As a Leaf fan, I have to say this is a really solid move for Montreal. Cole had a good year last year, but guys who play like Cole generally don't last very long, and he had real potential to be a big cap liability.

In Ryder, they get a guy who can put the puck in the net, with basically zero long term risk. It's as hometown as you can get for a guy from Newfoundland, and he's had success in Montreal before. The pick, is just icing on the cake.

To me, the biggest concern (if I was a habs fan) would be size / physical play. This is already a pretty soft team, and swapping Cole for Ryder certainly doesn't change that. Having guys like Armstrong / Prust obviously help, but they can only affect the game so much playing 11 and 13 minutes a game respectively. Pacioretty is now pretty much on an island in their top 6.
This guy got it. Some Leafs fan can analyse hockey very well finally...

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Only on HF does a team that gives up the superior player (Cole) with a contract for next season, for a one dimensional pseudo-sniper in Ryder approaching UFA status win the deal.

Sure this frees up cap space next year to sign a UFA winger, but who's available? Michael Ryder???

Cole was written off too easily. Although their numbers were the same, there was no way that Ryder could replace what Cole did last year.

Obviously there must have been things going on behind the scenes in the Habs dressing room, or writing on the wall for Cole to give up on him 18 games after that season he gave us.

Although I do think if Ryder can park himself in scoring position Desharnais can give him the puck. Good little playmaker he is.
Perry,Iginla,Horton,Clowe,Jagr...there are some good wingers available. Another thing here is Cole's health and he's approaching 35. Shouldn't be overlooked.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
1 first, 3 second, and 2 thirds, I think.
all those picks and all that cap space, it give a lot of tools to Bergevin

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Dharvey33

Just to clear Cole's contract was a good thing. I was amongst the habs fan praying for Cole to be traded last year we could have gotten better value.

But i like Ryder he gets a 2 month audition and becomes the team's second best sniper behind Paciorretty plus he will greatly help our pp.

3rd pick is always good we got Bozon last year that i think has got future nhl potential.
Might be a great year for the habs with all the draft picks we have look at Bergevin making a move for a top 8 pick at the draft.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Your right. My bad and apoligies. There is another Dallas fan I had you mixed up with that has the similar changing picture. Hull fan i think he's called. Again my apoligies.
Apology accepted, but you better apologize to Hull Fan. She's not gonna be happy about that.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote