HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MTL/DAL] Erik Cole for Michael Ryder and 2013 3rd round pick

Old
02-26-2013, 11:18 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Apology accepted, but you better apologize to Hull Fan. She's not gonna be happy about that.
Impossible, everyone here must be a guy, ai refuse to believe otherwise.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Ginu

What is Ryder's value at the deadline now? Could the Habs flip him?

We have 6 picks in the top 90. I wonder what Anaheim will want for Perry.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post

All of the picks.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Yeah I'm not feeling the whole "got bent over" by the Habs here. I think you guys are nuts.
It really depends on your analysis. If you believe Cole will rebound or even play marginally well, then this is a relatively decent trade for both teams. On the flipside, if what we've seen of Cole thus far is the new norm. Dallas definitely got "bent over." Personally, I say this trade is... odd from Dallas' perspective. I can see replacing Ryder but for a team lacking in defense, why trade for a struggling forward notorious for inconsistency, who has term?

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
It really depends on your analysis. If you believe Cole will rebound or even play marginally well, then this is a relatively decent trade for both teams. On the flipside, if what we've seen of Cole thus far is the new norm. Dallas definitely got "bent over." Personally, I say this trade is... odd from Dallas' perspective. I can see replacing Ryder but for a team lacking in defense, why trade for a struggling forward notorious for inconsistency, who has term?
And for your top scorer.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:43 PM
rocketxav9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
What the hell?

Cole makes more money for more years with less production and the Stars traded one of the better winger UFA options for that?
isn't Bob Gainey now with the Stars management ? that would make sense...

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:50 PM
vwg*

Quote:

Do you live in a bubble? Anaheim is a top team in the NHL, and no, they won't trade him for Montreal's garbage because he's a UFA. You want Perry before he reaches UFA, in a season where Anaheim is a top WC team? Then be ready to pay through the nose.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

From Montreal's perspective I see it as Cole's contract for a rental and a 3rd round pick.

Bergevin never signed Cole and probably has other plans for that freed up space.

I think Cole is going to be a great fit in Dallas BTW

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Bob b smith

How this deal could be good for the Stars... While most of the Habs players were firing on all cylinders, Cole was under-performing. Some of his comments might suggest he was unhappy with his situation. If all was needed was a change of scenery to get him going, then the Stars have themselves a big power-forward that can crash the net and score. He was very good last season. Time will tell...

Bob b smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:27 AM
wizemagic

Quote:
And for your top scorer.

Well, let's not forget Jaime Benn did miss multiple games due to a hold out - who's obviously the Stars best player, playing catch up with points too. But i'm a fan of Ryder, fan of Cole too and understand the Stars thinking of loosing Ryder for nothing in his UFA year was a no-no. I like it, fleeced no, look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Last edited by wizemagic: 02-27-2013 at 01:39 AM.
wizemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:46 AM
BrimStone64

This trade makes it sound like the Habs plan on signing a big name free agent this off-season. Moving Cole's contract while he still had value definitely was Habs motive

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Goldeneye
Fire Maurice

Great deal for the Habs if Ryder will produce like he can.

I dont quite understand why Dallas had to give up the pick though. Wasnt Ryder for Cole straight up really not enough?

Goldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:03 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizemagic View Post
Well, let's not forget Jaime Benn did miss multiple games due to a hold out - who's obviously the Stars best player, playing catch up with points too. But i'm a fan of Ryder, fan of Cole too and understand the Stars thinking of loosing Ryder for nothing in his UFA year was a no-no. I like it, fleeced no, look forward to seeing how it plays out.
I don't think people understand what a hold out is. Benn waited to get a proper contract from the Stars, hold outs are usually people that have a contract and hold out.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:03 AM
RawNastyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Great deal for the Habs if Ryder will produce like he can.

I dont quite understand why Dallas had to give up the pick though. Wasnt Ryder for Cole straight up really not enough?
yea it was enough. i think its too thank habs for the Ribeiro/Ninima trade lol

RawNastyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:58 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

I can't understand the purpose of this from Dallas' perspective. I thought Ryder had played well for them.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:18 AM
PezRadar
Peverley #1 Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
I can't understand the purpose of this from Dallas' perspective. I thought Ryder had played well for them.
Did you not read the thread? Or any analysts explanation on the numerous sites out there?

Ryder is a UFA this off season. He will probably cost a good buck for keeping him here in Dallas.

Cole is on contract for 2 more years at $4-4.5 million. They perform very similar to each other stats wise but have different games.

Cole is more in front of the net power forward while Ryder is more skilled shot forward. Dallas essentially has one guy that likes sitting in front of the net and that is Brenden Morrow. No one else likes doing that or is good at it :\

Dallas wanted to take a chance with Cole and guarantee that cap hit for 2 years while Montreal wanted to offload cap as Salary Caps are going down next season on this UFA and they still had stuff like Gomez hitting their invoice.

Since Montreal is just getting a rental they essentially wanted another assurance and Stars traded a 3rd round draft pick. Habs still win out in the end as that draft pick is pretty nice but...

The Dallas Stars would have had three third round draft picks this year. They essentially still have two in the third round due to trades with Edmonton and Minnesota that they are still taking in.

PezRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:35 AM
King King
Two Joes, No Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezRadar View Post
Did you not read the thread? Or any analysts explanation on the numerous sites out there?

Ryder is a UFA this off season. He will probably cost a good buck for keeping him here in Dallas.

Cole is on contract for 2 more years at $4-4.5 million. They perform very similar to each other stats wise but have different games.

Cole is more in front of the net power forward while Ryder is more skilled shot forward. Dallas essentially has one guy that likes sitting in front of the net and that is Brenden Morrow. No one else likes doing that or is good at it :\

Dallas wanted to take a chance with Cole and guarantee that cap hit for 2 years while Montreal wanted to offload cap as Salary Caps are going down next season on this UFA and they still had stuff like Gomez hitting their invoice.

Since Montreal is just getting a rental they essentially wanted another assurance and Stars traded a 3rd round draft pick. Habs still win out in the end as that draft pick is pretty nice but...

The Dallas Stars would have had three third round draft picks this year. They essentially still have two in the third round due to trades with Edmonton and Minnesota that they are still taking in.
Great post! Looks like a good deal for both teams, then.

King King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:

Not entirely true, Montreal already used the amnesty clause on Gomez, there likely going to do the same with Tomas Kabarle in the summer, our cap situation was fine before coke left. I think Bergevin is going to attempt to bring in a big name UFA in the offseason and its a lot easier to unload cap now then itll be in June.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:26 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeker View Post
Saving money for Perry?
A good ol' boy from Ontario playing for the dreaded Habs? I don't think so!

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
The Habs needed a winger that could shoot the puck. They have some nice playmakers but were seriously lacking a pure shooter to go with them. The PP , despite early success, has been very poor lately and really lacks a trigger man. Hopefully Ryder can be that guy.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:33 AM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

I remember most fans from other teams kept sayin the Cole signing was bad because his contract would hurt the team in the long run...........Well Bergevin just fixed that problem ....with a bonus 3rd pick.

Don't pretend that this isn't a good trade for Montreal.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:50 AM
ahmon

good trade for mtl on all fronts. I can't find a downside to this trade for them at all.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I agree with most of what you say however the Habs cap situation is just fine. Gomez was bought out and will not count against the lower cap next season. Kaberle and his $4.5 will certainly be bought out this summer as well and also will not count against their cap next year.

They easily could have kept Cole and his contract. However in their evaluation his performance is likely to continue to decline over the duration of the contract so they dealt him thinking they could put the money to better use this summer.

Basically Montreal would have kept Cole if they thought he could come close to matching last years production over the remainder of his deal.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:44 AM
wizemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I don't think people understand what a hold out is. Benn waited to get a proper contract from the Stars, hold outs are usually people that have a contract and hold out.
Fair enough...nevertheless, Benn was still out, not "held out", from the begining of the season which ultimately lead to Ryder leading the team in scoring up till now. That was the main point I was trying to make.

Last edited by wizemagic: 02-27-2013 at 07:51 AM.
wizemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:48 AM
amnesiac
Space Oddity

anyone know Ryder's new number? Yahoo has #72???

amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote