Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Biggest Disappointments

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
MikeS

vCash: 500
Biggest Disappointments

What team, what player, or what event this year was your biggest WHL disappointment?

For me, the injuries to some key players on the 'Tips was the most disappointing. Injury magnet Tyler Deitrich has played his last game in the Dub. Zach Hammil I expected to have a break-out year, but injuries slowed him a bit. Mark Kress missed a ton of hockey for us too.

That's mine....

Old
03-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Getzlaf and Ladd...suppose to dominate this year...and didn't really do anything.

Old
03-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Quiet Robert

Getzlaf and Ladd are still great prospects, but unfortunately they were disapointing this year. Simply didn't dominate the way I thought they could. Then again, perhaps I expected too much out of them. Either way, I would have liked to see a bit more out of them.

Chipchura's injury was disapointing. His play before was not. (32 pts in 28 games) But it was really too bad he missed the rest of the season.

Old
03-25-2005, 09:52 PM
MS

Chris Durand following up his 17 goals as a rookie with 18 goals this year. Still a good prospect with a good chance of going in the first round, but he was expected to be so much better.

Old
03-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Vancouver Giants as a team ... they had a **** ton of great superstar type talent and severely underperformed

Old
03-26-2005, 03:17 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Chris Durand following up his 17 goals as a rookie with 18 goals this year. Still a good prospect with a good chance of going in the first round, but he was expected to be so much better.
He started off so well, too. Was over a PPG for much of the season, then went straight into the tank.

In terms of disappointments for me:

Dustin Slade, all the talent in the world, but a two-cent mind. He's looking like an absolute stud in the BCHL right now, I'd be really disappointed if the Eagles didn't go all the way.

Shaun Vey didn't get enough playing time in Vancouver, requested a trade, got the time in Tri-City and did next to nothing with it. He's an intriguing prospect if you're going only on "tools."

Keith Voytechek was a guy I expected a lot more out of, but didn't get the ice time until the end of the season to show what he was made of.

I expected way more out of Zdenek Bahensky and Karel Hromas this season, but that may be due to their hype going into last year's draft.

Mike Gauthier has done nothing to live up to his bantam draft selection thus far.

I'm sure there are more that I'll be adding to this soon-to-be-lengthy list.

Old
03-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Whawks33

Biggest disappointment in a player was through no fault of his own. Michael Sauer's season was disappointing-having it end at midseason after hip surgery. I would love to have seen how much better he would have become. I think he would have been in competition for WHL rookie of the year honors if not for the injury.

Old
03-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Sabes

Kyle Chipchura, Jeremy Colliton and Mike Gauthier all missing half the season or more with injuries.

Old
03-26-2005, 11:10 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Easily Drew Ladd.

Old
03-29-2005, 07:37 AM
the_gman83

How about Kevin Nastiuk? He posted 7 shutouts in his first 17 games, and didn't get another one all season.

Old
03-29-2005, 07:59 PM
kingpin_19

Just a quick question, does anyone know where I could find the rosters for last years Alberta Cup?

Old
03-29-2005, 08:46 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
Mike Gauthier has done nothing to live up to his bantam draft selection thus far.
I hope the Raiders weren't expecting a Phil Housley clone when they drafted Gauthier...

Old
03-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Zetterberg4Captain*

The Saskatoon Blades in the play-offs so far. They are down 3-0 to a team that had 15 less points then them in the regualr season. I hope they win game 4 so I can see them in game 5.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Send a message via AIM to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via MSN to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via Yahoo to Emerald City Bruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
The Saskatoon Blades in the play-offs so far. They are down 3-0 to a team that had 15 less points then them in the regualr season. I hope they win game 4 so I can see them in game 5.
Scheduling doesn't help any.

Old
03-30-2005, 03:34 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Send a message via AIM to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via MSN to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via Yahoo to Emerald City Bruin
Hate to dog my own team, especially since we did win the division, but as both a Bird fan and a Bruin fan, I wanted a lot more out of Nate Thompson this year. Going down with the wrist injury in the second game didnt help but still it was rather a subpar season for someone due for a breakout year.

Old
03-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
I hope the Raiders weren't expecting a Phil Housley clone when they drafted Gauthier...
I doubt they were, but all he's shown thus far is that he's a goon, and not a very good one.

Old
03-30-2005, 09:40 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
Getzlaf and Ladd...suppose to dominate this year...and didn't really do anything.
maybe they're just upstaged by the russian pushkarev?

03-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Easily Drew Ladd.
Just basing that on stats or have you watched a lot of him this season?

I've mostly watched the Hitmen in the 2nd half but he's still a bluechip prospect and a guy I'd LOVE to have in the Flames organization. You can keep thinking he's a huge disappointment but the reality is that Andrew Ladd is a top prospect who seems to be doing fine.

2 goals last night, he and Getzlaf were standouts, yet again.

Old
03-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
maybe they're just upstaged by the russian pushkarev?
If anything I'd say he's been the most frustrating guy for Hitmen fans to watch.

Old
03-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Greg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
He still impressed me every time I saw him, and I'm quite pleased with his season, because he has a chance to fall to the Canucks now. I still think he's the best draft eligible passer in the WHL this year.

Biggest disappointment for me was Shaun Vey.

Old
03-31-2005, 02:06 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
If anything I'd say he's been the most frustrating guy for Hitmen fans to watch.
I would agree... I think most any Calgary fan would agree... flashy bag of tricks... but doesn't put up the points you would expect (kinda alot like Maxin Afinegenov).... but -as much as I like him- I don't think Pushkarov will even ever get to frustrate us at the NHL level...

If he can't put up more points in the WHL as a late-19/20-yr-old (ya -I know, I know... he had to adjust to NA for abit)... then what can we expect from him at the next level??

I like him... I just don't think he will be anything special at the next level... and isn't really anything special now if you look at his overall game and are not dazzled by the odd flashy move....

Agree Mr. Vickers?

Old
03-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr
If he can't put up more points in the WHL as a late-19/20-yr-old (ya -I know, I know... he had to adjust to NA for abit)... then what can we expect from him at the next level??
Can't put up points? He was second on the team in scoring.

He needs to add strength, a lot of it. If he struggles to do it he'll have trouble adapting. He's also still a little selfish with the puck, he'll have to work on that.

I think he has good NHL potential. IMO he compares to a guy like Val Bure except that he has the balls to grind along the boards and throw some hits.

Old
04-01-2005, 05:07 PM
KRF

michael blanar is a second year euro in kelowna and has not gone past the third line?

Old
04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
goalienut

Gauthier has actually been pretty good for the raiders up until his injury. He is a steady Defencesive defenceman and that's what PA drafted him for.

Old
04-13-2005, 08:32 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalienut
Gauthier has actually been pretty good for the raiders up until his injury. He is a steady Defencesive defenceman and that's what PA drafted him for.
Exactly. Like I told Kirk, I hope they weren't expecting Sergei Gonchar.

Closed Thread