HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
danyhabsfan

vCash: 500
What number will wear Ryder?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
EveryDay

only 2 bad contract on this team, Gionta and Kaberle!!!

Old
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
17 games in "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME SINCE LEADING THE TEAM LAST YEAR AND MENTORING DD/PACIORETTY?"

This is why hab fans are universally panned.
It's amusing watching you meltdown. I really hope Gauthier's paying you're doing one hell of a job waving your flag for him.

Cole was moved not because he was slumping but because he had a terrible contract just like your boy Kaberle.

MB is in the process of fixing Gauthier and Gainey's mistakes. Gionta is next....Kaberle will be bought out.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Why not include the players on the team that would actually fit Cole's age group: Markov, Kaberle, Gionta

What's your opinion on Gionta's drop off from back to back 30 goal production with the Habs? Some people think it's because of his age as it's not abnormal for players production drop as they approach the mid 30s.
Gionta is in a slump, even 22yr olds get into them, like Cole Gionta brings more than simple goals/assists to the game. Why do you think Dallas added the pick? I know gainey is over there so I am sure he is bringing down the median hockey IQ but lets be serious.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
ryanwb

Making room for Perry?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
What people have to understand about this is beyond the fact that we got a 3rd rounder, beyond the 2 years after this one of 4.5 million on the books with cole, and beyond the fact that ryder is UFA this year and gives us whatever option we want to choose there......Erik Cole is a player who made his game on speed...not hands...speed. thats how he has success.....ryder is a player who's game revolves around his hands.....now....you tell me, from what we have seen in this league...which one of these guys is gonna have more success going forward from now...they 32 year old with hands or the 34 year old with legs.....here's a hint...it's guys with hands.
What about grit and drive? Cole wins in those areas. Ryder does a good job throwing paper airplanes from pressbox though.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
What number will wear Ryder?
In Soviet Russia, number wears you

Old
02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
blueberry

I personally like ryder and think he'll be useful. The guy can score and thats what we need. He's got a great shot. But by the sound of it he'll be the new whipping boy. Too bad.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
la25ecoupe

Bourque, Plek, Ryder
Pax - DD - Dumont
Eller - Alex - Gallagher
Prust White Moen

PP 1st wave:
Pax - DD - Eller - Chuck - Gally

PP 2nd wave:
Markoz, Diaz, Subban, Plek, Ryder

Old
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Seriously love this trade! Watched a few Stars games and I seriously think Ryder actually improved with age.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's amusing watching you meltdown. I really hope Gauthier's paying you're doing one hell of a job waving your flag for him.

Cole was moved not because he was slumping but because he had a terrible contract just like your boy Kaberle.

MB is in the process of fixing Gauthier and Gainey's mistakes. Gionta is next....Kaberle will be bought out.
Meltdown? I think the move is risky and not well timed but I don't really care. Looks like your plug cammy got another assist, really earning those 6 large right?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
bjac

I like this trade. Montreal needs a finisher and Ryder is having a great year. If he can carry it over I think you'll see Habs PP improve. He's not the soft player that some insist he is. He's off the books at the end of the year and if he plays well enough MB can consider re-signing him.

Losing Cole will hurt the team in some areas (speed) but this is something that can be addressed later. I liked Erik, but I think made the right decision moving forward. It definately frees a substantial amount of cap space and gives them the flexibility they need to aquire elite players (and their contracts). The 3rd round pick is just icing on the cake.

I don't understand why so many people hate Ryder... He was a good goal scorer for us and was clutch on several occasions.

Old
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
I personally like ryder and think he'll be useful. The guy can score and thats what we need. He's got a great shot. But by the sound of it he'll be the new whipping boy. Too bad.
He scores a few goals and he'll be a god again like in his rookie season

Old
Schwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
What people have to understand about this is beyond the fact that we got a 3rd rounder, beyond the 2 years after this one of 4.5 million on the books with cole, and beyond the fact that ryder is UFA this year and gives us whatever option we want to choose there......Erik Cole is a player who made his game on speed...not hands...speed. thats how he has success.....ryder is a player who's game revolves around his hands.....now....you tell me, from what we have seen in this league...which one of these guys is gonna have more success going forward from now...they 32 year old with hands or the 34 year old with legs.....here's a hint...it's guys with hands.
Well said. I haven't seen the same speed or drive from Cole this year. I've mentioned on this board how Montreal lacks that guy who can finish around the net. So many a juicy rebound! Anyone who's seen most of the games this year, ask yourselves, can you remember ANY goals being scored on rebounds? Very many tip ins? That's why we lost last night against a big, mediocre goalie who will disappear back to the AHL. Every shot we took went right at him and when there were rebounds, there was no one to pick them up. I can't believe some people were talking about how great Bishop is. That guys been up and down more than a yoyo in his career!

Ryder will be that key guy. That garbage man in front. Trust me. Ryder is a better shooter than Cole. At 2 years younger, he might even be worth resigning at years end.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I liked Cole but I love this deal in the long run. Well done Bergevin and we even get a 3rd

Old
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
HomaridII

Lebrun's take

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ture-cap-space

Old
02-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Making room for Perry?
My first reaction as well

Old
02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Meltdown? I think the move is risky and not well timed but I don't really care. Looks like your plug cammy got another assist, really earning those 6 large right?
PPG player = plug?

You talk about players not living up to their contract and have the audacity to cry for Cole?

Old
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Bergevin to be on the Dogs radio broadcast in a few minutes: http://www.funny820.com/player.aspx

Old
Adam91

Bringing in a stanley cup champion, an upcoming UFA with plenty of motivation, a guy who has played in the city before and understands the pressure, a good locker room guy YES PLEASE.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
thewindowwasher

The only way that i can see this trade not being in our favor is if ryder stops producing AND we do nothing with the cap space in the off season, because as of right now the team is winning despite very little production from cole. As long as ryder keeps putting up points, it doesn't really matter how cole does, because he wasn't producing here, and if we land a big free agent like perry, it will be hard to find a problem with this trade.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
PPG player = plug?

You talk about players not living up to their contract and have the audacity to cry for Cole?
When the flames miss the playoffs tell me how great cammy is.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

What I like most is depending if we are In a playoff position or not we could either keep him or flip him for a first probably

Old
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Bringing in a stanley cup champion, an upcoming UFA with plenty of motivation, a guy who has played in the city before and understands the pressure, a good locker room guy YES PLEASE.
That didn't work really well for Gainey though But Ryder has been a workhorse in the playoffs, so that's a really good thing.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Gionta is in a slump, even 22yr olds get into them, like Cole Gionta brings more than simple goals/assists to the game. Why do you think Dallas added the pick? I know gainey is over there so I am sure he is bringing down the median hockey IQ but lets be serious.
The pick is probably because Ryder is an expiring contract which tends to lower player's value in trades.

What if Gionta isn't in a slump and, I don't know, regressed. What if Cole is on the same boat? I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe that regressing isn't uncommon in the NHL as players approach mid/late 30s. Gomez and Kaberle regressed sooner. Sometimes this isn't the case, hence the risk Dallas took. Sometimes it is the case, hence the Habs dealing him despite knowing they need size/grit.

This is the first move for Bergevin and I assume that he'll continue to make changes. If I had to make a guess, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs make a trade with Florida before the deadline because of the Tallon connection.

Closed Thread