HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Favourite Decade for Music?

View Poll Results: What is your favourite decade for music?
2010's 2 1.60%
2000's 12 9.60%
1990's 53 42.40%
1980's 12 9.60%
1970's 31 24.80%
1960's 13 10.40%
1950's 1 0.80%
Other 1 0.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
never said punk was fusion. but if you want to get technical...

rock + unbridled teenage angst +Puke=punk
If you want to get technical, wouldn't that only be considered fusion if puke and unbridled teenage angst were music genres?

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
See, this is exactly why I think the 90s is the objective right answer. Sure everyone has their preferences, and that's totally fine, but in terms of including as many music genres as possible, it's gotta be the 90s. Rap and Country were either non-existent or sucked before 1990.
This part alarmed me. That's when it started to get awful.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Always the current decade. If you know how to look and keep your ears open, new music is always better than old music.

Older music is great, no doubt. But nothing gives you a better jolt than finding a new band or a new album or even a song you didn't know about and really, REALLY digging it.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Always the current decade. If you know how to look and keep your ears open, new music is always better than old music.

Older music is great, no doubt. But nothing gives you a better jolt than finding a new band or a new album or even a song you didn't know about and really, REALLY digging it.
Music doesn't need to be new to be new to you, though..?

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Exactly-- I don't understand his logic there. I've gotten that feeling he described more often from old music than new music, if anything.

I've always hated that type of argument anyways. Even though I agree that there's a ton of gems hidden beneath the cracks right now, it's still a far cry out the peaks that there used to be.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Closer was their most successful album - it was released in June of 1980.
Yeah but I prefer Unknown Pleasures and I love their early punk stuff.
Quote:
See, this is exactly why I think the 90s is the objective right answer. Sure everyone has their preferences, and that's totally fine, but in terms of including as many music genres as possible, it's gotta be the 90s. Rap and Country were either non-existent or sucked before 1990. Rap in the 90s was phenomenal with Tupac, Notorious BIG, Puff, Snoop, Dre, Beastie Boys, Bone, and even early Eminem (among others). Then in Country you had Garth, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Dixie Chicks, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, and then even Toby Keith's earlier stuff (Just missed Rascal Flatts unfortunately).

In addition to that you had some great Rock from Metallica, Korn, Tool, Rage, Live, GnR, as well as the beginning of Disturbed.

Not to mention all of your mainstream stuff like Hootie, Matchbox, Dave, BNL, Blues Traveler, Third Eye Blind, U2, REM, Oasis, Boyz II Men, etc.

That's a ton of great music, and I haven't even really touched on Alternative, which is really what the 90s is probably most remembered for. I'm sure I will forget some but we all know the bands, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, Alice in Chains, Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Bush, Sublime, Counting Crows, Foo Fighters, etc.

I think the 90s takes this in a rout.
Yes, but quantity over quality. There were no Beatles or anything remotely in the same stratosphere in the 90s, whereas in the 60s/70s there might have been dozens of comparable artists/albums (in my opinion). I'm not even sure I buy the more variety thing. In any case, it's far from the clear objective right answer.

This is how my favorite artists/albums get broken down, personally

60s
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Charles Mingus
Jefferson Airplane
Jimi Hendrix
King Crimson
The Kinks
Miles Davis
Rolling Stones
Thelonious Monk
The Velvet Underground

Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
The Black Saint and Sinner Lady
Surrealistic Pillow
Are You Experienced
Axis Bold as Love
Electric Ladyland
In the Court of the Crimson King
Face to Face
In a Silent Way
Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
White Light White Heat
Velvet Underground
Velvet Underground and Nico
Brilliant Corners

70s
Joy Division
George Harrison
Ash Ra Tempel
Bob Dylan
David Bowie
Brian Eno
Can
Cluster
Crosby Stills and Nash
Faust
Happy End
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Miles Davis
The Modern Lovers
Neu!
Pink Floyd
Popol Vuh
Public Image Ltd.
Rolling Stones
The Stooges
T.Rex
Television

Unknown Pleasures
All Things Must Pass
Plastic Ono Band
Blood on the Tracks
Low
Another Green World
Ambient 1
Ege Bamyasi
Tago Mago
Future Days
Crosby Stills and Nash
Zuckerzeit
Faust IV
Band of Gypsys
Houses of Holy
Led Zeppelin IV
B**ches Brew
The Modern Lovers
Neu!
Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Hosianna Mantra
First Issue
Metal Box
Exile on Main Street
Sticky Fingers
Fun House
Raw Power
Electric Warrior
Marquee Moon

90s
Boards of Canada
DJ Shadow
The Flaming Lips
My Bloody Valentine
Nas
Portishead
Radiohead
A Tribe Called Quest

Music Has Right to Children
Endtroducing
Soft Bulletin
Loveless
Illmatic
OK Computer
Midnight Marauders

Old
03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

In terms of rock, punk, metal, hip-hop, the 2000s.

In terms of electronic, the current decade.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Gustav Nyquist
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I just can't imagine holding the opinion that the 90's are the best, and I was born in 1985.
Music is subjective.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Whitaker View Post
Music is subjective.
To be fair "I just can't understand people who think this" is also subjective.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Gustav Nyquist
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
To be fair "I just can't understand people who think this" is also subjective.
Touché

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Nope. And again, I voted for the 90s, but this is just wrong. Rap didn't suck in the 80s (and I don't even like rap) - Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, Beastie Boys, Run-DMC, just to name a few.
Licensed to Ill is probably my favorite rap album, so I agree on that point. But again, other than a few groups here and there, rap wasn't anywhere near mainstream in the 80s. It really hit its stride in the 90s. That's not even arguable. Take a look at rap album sales in the 90s and compare it to the 80s.

Quote:
Country was far better in the 70s than in any other decade with the birth of the "urban country" and "outlaw movement" sounds - I despise most country, but even I like Johnny Paycheck and "Take This Job and Shove It" and Kenny Rogers.
Absolutely not. Country had its niche before the 90s, but that, once again, is when it hit its stride. It lost the twang and became something that had a far wider range of appeal. You hear country singers on mainstream radio stations these days, that all started in the 90s.

Quote:
Even the stuff you call "mainstream" wasn't mainstream, it was considered alternative rock (except Boyz II Men) and some of those artists (U2 and R.E.M.) did most of their best stuff in the 80s.
I wouldn't consider Dave, BNL, Matchbox, or Hootie alternative rock, and we're talking probably a hundred million albums right there. (And I forgot to mention Mariah Carey and Celine Dion)

Quote:
Guh? The early 1990's and "Achy Breaky Heart" seemed like the beginning of the end for 'real' country music to me. I think Garth Brooks and Travis Tritt would tell you themselves that neither they nor any of their contemporaries can hold a candle to all-time greats like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, etc.
I agree it was the end of "real" country music. And real country music had a very narrow appeal, that's why the entire genre reached heights in the 90s that it could've only dreamed of.

Quote:
I can't think of a single genre from the '90s that wasn't done better in the '60s/'70s (jazz, rock, blues, reggae, pop, latin/salsa), or wasn't rooted heavily in music from that time (hip-hop, electronica, metal).
Well obviously you disagree on Country, but album sales and airplay tell a much different story, so I would say Country was far more successful in the 90s. And I don't think one could even try to make the argument that Rap was better in the 70s than the 90s.

Quote:
This part alarmed me. That's when it started to get awful.
There was no doubt in my mind from our movie discussion that not only would you disagree with me, but that the 70s would've been your choice here. I'm not one of these artsy/purist types. Country was a niche genre until the 90s. So sure purists will tell you Garth Brooks couldn't hold a candle to George Jones or Willie Nelson or whoever, but they couldn't get Country mainstream. The 90s artists were able to do so.

Quote:
Yes, but quantity over quality. There were no Beatles or anything remotely in the same stratosphere in the 90s, whereas in the 60s/70s there might have been dozens of comparable artists/albums (in my opinion). I'm not even sure I buy the more variety thing. In any case, it's far from the clear objective right answer.
I would agree the 90s didn't have any of the very top echelon of artists. Mariah Carey and Celine Dion would be the only ones in the top 10 in terms of all-time album sales. I still think the range of successful genres/artists beats any decade.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
2000s, but that's because the current decade isn't over yet.
Basically this.

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
I've always hated that type of argument anyways. Even though I agree that there's a ton of gems hidden beneath the cracks right now, it's still a far cry out the peaks that there used to be.
I wonder if thirty to forty years from now, we'll all be reminiscing about the musical revolution set in motion by Beach House and The National in the same way we do about Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix now.

Quote:
There was no doubt in my mind from our movie discussion that not only would you disagree with me, but that the 70s would've been your choice here. I'm not one of these artsy/purist types. Country was a niche genre until the 90s. So sure purists will tell you Garth Brooks couldn't hold a candle to George Jones or Willie Nelson or whoever, but they couldn't get Country mainstream. The 90s artists were able to do so.
You don't commercialize a genre by making it better, you do it by signing pretty-boys with no artistic credibility to sing watered-down radio jingles.

Last edited by Marco Esquandolas: 03-07-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I wonder if thirty to forty years from now, we'll all be reminiscing about the musical revolution set in motion by Beach House and The National in the same way we do about Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix now.
Sometimes it feels like people think stuff like that.

I mean, I'm willing to fathom the possibility of truly great hidden gems that I just haven't gotten around to/haven't developed the sense to appreciate yet, and there's obviously a ton of "good" stuff that doesn't get the deserved attention, but after all this time, I don't think I've come across any that make me re-evaluate the era (that weren't already huge, popular, and critically beloved to begin with), and whenever something gets brought up, I always end up feeling like "Seriously, Beach House/Bon Iver? This was what you were talking about?"

I've actually had much more luck digging/finding hidden/underappreciated gems from other decades (particularly the 70s, there was just so much going on), so when I hear that argument that "music is as good as it ever was, you just have to dig deeper!" I can't help but be skeptical.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old
03-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Hippasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post

In terms of electronic, the current decade.
Really?? Which bands / groups? I say 80s and 90s for all those genres. Electronic maybe you're right, haven't heard much after the year 2000, but I would also guess 90s for that one.

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
I'm sorry, but no way.

With rock I can support someone saying 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, but 00s? No way. Mainstream rock took a dive off the deep end a few years after 2000. The genre in general hasn't had a real impact on music for a decade.
Metal, 70s, 80s, early 90s. From Black Sabboth, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead, etc. through the heyday of Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, etc.
Hip-hop 90s without a doubt. I can agree if you want to say 00s, but if you were around in the 90s, you knew the kind of impact that hip-hop had in those days was astonishing.
Punk depends on what you classify as punk, but late 70s and early 80s are the peak of classic punk. The 90s also had a big wave of punk but much different than what happened back then. Punk since then is something completely different. So that's all up to interpretation.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 03-07-2013 at 12:54 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
I'm sorry, but no way.

With rock I can support someone saying 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, but 00s? No way. Mainstream rock took a dive off the deep end a few years after 2000. The genre in general hasn't had a real impact on music for a decade.
Metal, 70s, 80s, early 90s. From Black Sabboth, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead, etc. through the heyday of Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, etc.
Hip-hop 90s without a doubt. I can agree if you want to say 00s, but if you were around in the 90s, you knew the kind of impact that hip-hop had in those days was astonishing.
Punk depends on what you classify as punk, but late 70s and early 80s are the peak of classic punk. The 90s also had a big wave of punk but much different than what happened back then. Punk since then is something completely different. So that's all up to interpretation.
Perhaps he means rock + punk + metal + hip-hop for the 2000s.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
cynicism

1970s for me. Sabbath, Priest, Zeppelin, Purple, King Crimson, Yes, Floyd, ELP, Cooper, Hawkwind, pre-suckage Aerosmith, Bowie, Krautrock, Iggy, Miles Davis, fusion, the genesis of punk and NWOBHM.

I wish I'd grown up during the 70s. The Music was better, and I probably would've found it easier to get laid

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:23 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly-- I don't understand his logic there. I've gotten that feeling he described more often from old music than new music, if anything.

I'm not sure I'm following you two.

Music doesn't need to be new to be good, of course. My favorite bands include Led Zeppelin, Tool, Metallica, Rage, etc. None of them are putting out music right now.

It's more the fact that if I dig a band that is still actively writing music and touring, it gives you something to look forward to. Like Periphery for me right now.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:

Music doesn't need to be new to be good, of course. My favorite bands include Led Zeppelin, Tool, Metallica, Rage, etc. None of them are putting out music right now.

It's more the fact that if I dig a band that is still actively writing music and touring, it gives you something to look forward to. Like Periphery for me right now.
I think what Frank is saying is that even older music is still "new" to some people, as we may hear a song from the 60's for the very first time. It's new to us, but it isn't a "new" release. There are thousands of "classic" artists that aren't very well known because they never reached the status of Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who, etc.. and even then there are still some big name bands that people just don't know about!!

This may seem crazy to some, but I honestly do not know how many people I've met that had no idea who The Kinks were before I told them. They were aware of 1-2 of their songs, but didn't know it was them. This is one of the most important bands in music history, and people only know them for 1 song.

As for current music, I only know 2 other people who had heard of Bishop Allen before I introduced them; my sister and her fiance. Granted, Bishop Allen is an Indie band.. but they've had some media exposure (video games, films, tv) and yet people aren't aware of them. Personally, I'd rank "The Broken String" as one of the greatest albums I have ever listen to.. ever.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:

I like this explanation alot more-- when you factor in the experience of seeing them live and anticipating their new stuff, that makes alot more sense to me, but you weren't saying anything like that in your original post. (Or at least, I read nothing like that from it)

When you said that new music is always better than old music because nothing gives you a bigger jolt than finding a new band or new album or new song you didn't know about, it sounded like you were only talking about music discovery, which is the same no matter what era something came from. As far as that invigorating feeling of music discovery goes, I get more of that from digging through old stuff I never knew about than new stuff, personally.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-08-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old
03-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I think what Frank is saying is that even older music is still "new" to some people, as we may hear a song from the 60's for the very first time. It's new to us, but it isn't a "new" release. There are thousands of "classic" artists that aren't very well known because they never reached the status of Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who, etc.. and even then there are still some big name bands that people just don't know about!!

This may seem crazy to some, but I honestly do not know how many people I've met that had no idea who The Kinks were before I told them. They were aware of 1-2 of their songs, but didn't know it was them. This is one of the most important bands in music history, and people only know them for 1 song.

As for current music, I only know 2 other people who had heard of Bishop Allen before I introduced them; my sister and her fiance. Granted, Bishop Allen is an Indie band.. but they've had some media exposure (video games, films, tv) and yet people aren't aware of them. Personally, I'd rank "The Broken String" as one of the greatest albums I have ever listen to.. ever.
To take it one step further, as an Asian with mostly Asian friends, I don't think I know a single person I regularly talk to who knows who The Kinks are.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Licensed to Ill is probably my favorite rap album, so I agree on that point. But again, other than a few groups here and there, rap wasn't anywhere near mainstream in the 80s. It really hit its stride in the 90s. That's not even arguable. Take a look at rap album sales in the 90s and compare it to the 80s.
So you're basing the diversity of sound available purely on album sales?

Quote:
Absolutely not. Country had its niche before the 90s, but that, once again, is when it hit its stride. It lost the twang and became something that had a far wider range of appeal. You hear country singers on mainstream radio stations these days, that all started in the 90s.
Umm...again, you're wrong. Country artists were very popular in the mid to late 70s and some (sort of) lost their twang (which again, today they've "sort of" lost their twang, not completely) and could be heard on mainstream radio. In addition to the male artists I listed let me add Crystal Gayle (big mainstream hit with Don't You Turn my Brown Eyes Blue), Dolly Parton, and Loretta Lynn, and I know there's others just can't bring them to mind right now. Hell, even going back to the 40s and 50s you'll find country artists who broke through to the mainstream (Patsy Cline, for instance).

03-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Shareefruck

delete

Old
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Riverdale

1980s

Most of my favorite bands are from the 70s (Pink Floyd, KISS, Zeppelin) but nothing puts me in a better mood than some 80s.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote