HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumour: Flyers interested in Dustin Byfuglien

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
  #26
Boreal
Registered User
 
Boreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
No to trading Buff, unless for a ridiculous overpayment. He is so important, and such a unique talent.

I really enjoy seeing Buff in a Jets jersey, and I hope that I get to continue to see that for a long time to come.

Boreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
  #27
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,925
vCash: 350
No way we trade Buff.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:22 PM
  #28
JetsWillFly4Ever
Registered User
 
JetsWillFly4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB.
Country: Canada
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Of course I've watched Buff. He's a fine player. Simmonds is too, and a high 2nd (if the Flyers continue to suck) in a deep draft is pretty decent.

Maybe my value is a little off, but if you think it's "gross", you're underrating Simmonds.
It's more than a little off, maybe not gross but it ain't pretty. That 2nd is not even close to a guarantee to be high, as the Flyers have started to play better and have a lot of talent to get back in the playoff picture. Could easily be pick 45-60, which is really not a big +.

I guess I'd have to see more from Simmonds before saying gross, but I mean a two way 2nd liner is no where near as valuable as a 25+ minute munching defensemen imo. Nevermind the fact Buff has more points in a 66 game season than Simmonds has in any. Not saying points are everything, but on a team like the Jets we need all the offense we can get.

JetsWillFly4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
  #29
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
It's more than a little off, maybe not gross but it ain't pretty. That 2nd is not even close to a guarantee to be high, as the Flyers have started to play better and have a lot of talent to get back in the playoff picture. Could easily be pick 45-60, which is really not a big +.

I guess I'd have to see more from Simmonds before saying gross, but I mean a two way 2nd liner is no where near as valuable as a 25+ minute munching defensemen imo. Nevermind the fact Buff has more points in a 66 game season than Simmonds has in any. Not saying points are everything, but on a team like the Jets we need all the offense we can get.
I get that. I do think Simmonds is a guy who brings more than pts though.
the jets are really lacking a guy with some gonads who can play top 6 minutes.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
  #30
Hansen Brother
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In TO, from Keystone
Country: Canada
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
I think there is a very distinct possibility we trade Buff at some point in the not terribly distant future as we will have three guys who will be top two pairing RD once Trouba is up. We just don't have the assets to afford the luxury of keeping all three.

Personally I'd do Buff for the Schenn brothers or something of that nature. We could really use Brayden Schenn.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:46 PM
  #31
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I think there is a very distinct possibility we trade Buff at some point in the not terribly distant future as we will have three guys who will be top two pairing RD once Trouba is up. We just don't have the assets to afford the luxury of keeping all three.

Personally I'd do Buff for the Schenn brothers or something of that nature. We could really use Brayden Schenn.
There no way you'd ever get both Schenn's for Buff

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
  #32
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greater Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gholas View Post
Buff is worth more than those guys 1 for easy, I'll now let you anti Buff guys enjoy your topic though, HF
No one said 1 for 1. You said Giroux is their only valuable player, a statement that is 100% ridiculous. Of course you don't do 1 for 1 for the other guys but you could easily put together what would qualify as crazy overpayment from them.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:09 PM
  #33
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
Buff is a fan favorite and the Flyers are desperate.
They would have to overpay substantially.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:13 PM
  #34
scelaton
Registered User
 
scelaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I'd snap trade one for one for Voracek.

Would love Simmonds too, but I think the Flyers may have to add there. Simmonds and a 2nd?
I think Voracek is a fantastic player and would be perfect for us as part of a Buff trade-- the missing RW link, with Kane on the other wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholas View Post
Buff is worth more than those guys 1 for easy, I'll now let you anti Buff guys enjoy your topic though, HF
It is very unfortunate that people who critique Buff (or other favourites) are labeled 'anti-Buff'. When Buff is healthy and on his game there is no one better. But he's going to have a short shelf life and you've got to give up quality to get quality.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
  #35
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
It is very unfortunate that people who critique Buff (or other favourites) are labeled 'anti-Buff'. When Buff is healthy and on his game there is no one better. But he's going to have a short shelf life and you've got to give up quality to get quality.
Agree with this...I really like Buff, but I think he is at his pinnacle right now with age and injuries not likely to allow any more progression - or even a long term high-level plateau - to his game. There may be a deal in the next year or so that makes sense for this franchise...who knows

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:38 PM
  #36
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,389
vCash: 492
Buff is pretty much immovable from my stance. He's way too damn valuable. Come playoff time there are maybe only five defenseman in the league I'd rather have.

They'd pretty have to do Hartnell + 1st + 2nd.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:40 PM
  #37
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I'd snap trade one for one for Voracek.

Would love Simmonds too, but I think the Flyers may have to add there. Simmonds and a 2nd?
Sorry, I find those valuations to be no where near close. Buff is the 2nd best offensive defensman in the game. If a guy like Buff is dealt, with a good contract, that's Richards and Carter type returns. Maybe more.

Is there a comparable trade close to a Buff? One of the best offensive d men in the league on a good contract?

Goligoski got Neal and Niskanen. Voracek (who I like), or Simmonds (who I like) and a second would be horrible asset management IMO.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  #38
ahplk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I think Voracek is a fantastic player and would be perfect for us as part of a Buff trade-- the missing RW link, with Kane on the other wing.



It is very unfortunate that people who critique Buff (or other favourites) are labeled 'anti-Buff'. When Buff is healthy and on his game there is no one better. But he's going to have a short shelf life and you've got to give up quality to get quality.

Buff on top of his game is a beast so it's going to take a good amount of overpayment to get Chevy to even answer the trade phone.

If our D was healthy and Philly dangled Voracek (unlikely, as he's 7th in league scoring) I'd probably make that trade. With the current state of our D (including Buff himself) I don't think we can make a trade. Then again, if there ever was a season to finish in the top 5, this is it.

Anything outside of Philly's untouchables (Giroux, Voracek, and B. Schenn) is a pass...I think Buff would easily fetch a sum greater than Briere+ if other teams were in on it.

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  #39
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Buff is pretty much immovable from my stance. He's way too damn valuable. Come playoff time there are maybe only five defenseman in the league I'd rather have.

They'd pretty have to do Hartnell + 1st + 2nd.
BSchenn + LSchenn

BSchenn + Laughton + 1st

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
  #40
Vander Teemuchuk
Registered User
 
Vander Teemuchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: John Labatt Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
There no way you'd ever get both Schenn's for Buff
I can definitely understand why Philly wouldn't want to give that up for Buff. But I wouldn't take anything less value-wise. And I'm not sure how happy I would be with Schenns for him.

Vander Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:58 PM
  #41
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,325
vCash: 50
Double

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
  #42
lablite47
Registered User
 
lablite47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Buff for Luke Schenn and 2013 2nd rd pick... All the way to the bank! Do it now!

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
  #43
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
Buff for Luke Schenn and 2013 2nd rd pick... All the way to the bank! Do it now!
Please tell me this is a joke...

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
  #44
lablite47
Registered User
 
lablite47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Please tell me this is a joke...
Buff is 27 on the way down, out of shape prone to injury lately and value will be diminishing quickly. Luke is 24 will be in his prime when our guys are coming in during the next few years and fits right into the mold chevy is building. 2nd rond 2013 can be used as a pick or as trade bait to get another young forward prospect. Makes sense for the organization IMO. Buff will not be worth this next year! Especially if he gets hurt again this year... and he will with his weight as it is.

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:29 PM
  #45
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greater Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
Buff is 27 on the way down, out of shape prone to injury lately and value will be diminishing quickly. Luke is 24 will be in his prime when our guys are coming in during the next few years and fits right into the mold chevy is building. 2nd rond 2013 can be used as a pick or as trade bait to get another young forward prospect. Makes sense for the organization IMO. Buff will not be worth this next year! Especially if he gets hurt again this year... and he will with his weight as it is.
Wow. Second best offensive D in the league but because he's 27 and gets hurt he won't be worth a severely offensively limited second-pairing D and a 2nd one year from now. Either you're really underrating Byfuglien's ability to dominate a game or you think Schenn has some crazy upside - he doesn't, he's a #3 at best with no offensive abilities. Still not convinced this isn't a joke.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:34 PM
  #46
gholas
Registered User
 
gholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Wow. Second best offensive D in the league but because he's 27 and gets hurt he won't be worth a severely offensively limited second-pairing D and a 2nd one year from now. Either you're really underrating Byfuglien's ability to dominate a game or you think Schenn has some crazy upside - he doesn't, he's a #3 at best with no offensive abilities. Still not convinced this isn't a joke.
In one swift swipe of your keyboard, you smashed all hopes and dreams of Flyers fans by snapping them back to reality. Bout time someone says it.

gholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
  #47
lablite47
Registered User
 
lablite47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Wow. Second best offensive D in the league but because he's 27 and gets hurt he won't be worth a severely offensively limited second-pairing D and a 2nd one year from now. Either you're really underrating Byfuglien's ability to dominate a game or you think Schenn has some crazy upside - he doesn't, he's a #3 at best with no offensive abilities. Still not convinced this isn't a joke.
We've got Trouba coming and Bogo and hopefully Postma plus whatever we can snag with our picks this year. Luke is and will be a good honest defensive defenceman for years.... We really don't have a great D man right now. Luke and a 1st round would be a no go so with this years DEEP draft a second round (possibly high pick if Phili don't make playoffs) is the best we can do. That's why we have to deal him this year and Luke is a GEM. Former 5th overall, 6'2, 200+ good Western Canadian player.

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
  #48
Crazed Fan
Registered User
 
Crazed Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Chevy wants this team big. Buff big.
That being said, i do like a lot of players on the Flyers.
It would have to be a lot to get Buff from us. He is one of a kind.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:55 PM
  #49
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
We've got Trouba coming and Bogo and hopefully Postma plus whatever we can snag with our picks this year. Luke is and will be a good honest defensive defenceman for years.... We really don't have a great D man right now. Luke and a 1st round would be a no go so with this years DEEP draft a second round (possibly high pick if Phili don't make playoffs) is the best we can do. That's why we have to deal him this year and Luke is a GEM. Former 5th overall, 6'2, 200+ good Western Canadian player.
Who the hell cares where he's from or when he was drafted? He's not nearly as good of a hockey player as Buff.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
  #50
lablite47
Registered User
 
lablite47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Who the hell cares where he's from or when he was drafted? He's not nearly as good of a hockey player as Buff.
Buff will quickly fade going forward IMHO.. Proof will be in the pudding! I hope Chevy does not hold on to him too long where his value gets to be like a Gomez Then what?

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.