Notices

Rumour: Flyers interested in Dustin Byfuglien

Old
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Simmonds and a second and third rounder in 2014. I'd do this trade immediately b4 the Flyers come to their senses.
Is a number 1ish D man (Buff), with a good contract, worth that much less than a number 1ish C with a long term deal that not everyone wanted to take on (Richards)?

Richards got Simmonds, Schenn, and a 2nd.

Seems like this is selling Buff at a discount.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Nothing Is New

vCash: 500
Thanks.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I don't hate the idea of the Schenns as a return....but that doesn't seem to be enough to me. It's not like the two of them are exactly lighting It up right now.

I'd probably pull the trigger on Voracek and first or Simmonds+Luke Schenn+ 2nd, but not alot else.
I don't know your definition of "lighting it up" but Brayden has 17 points and would easily be our most talented center.

Luke will never "light it up" from a points perspective but he's good at what he does. I just wish he was left handed.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Let's not forget Buff's hometown is Roseau, MN, just across the border from Manitoba. He's practically a home-town player. I'm pretty sure Jets management wants players who enjoy playing in Winnipeg, and aren't dreaming of playing in New York or LA.

Now it's a fair point that at 27 his productivity is going to drop in the next few years, and that as a result so will his trade value. But that only means his trade value right now is extremely high, and short of Giroux for Buff none of the proposals here seem high enough.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

I don't think people realize how Byfuglien is maturing and becoming a more complete defenseman. He has been hurt most the year and still he finds ways to contribute.

I will say that without him gutting out that escape from blueline pressure and drive to the net early in the NYR game the Jets would have never gotten their offense on track. The team scored shortly thereafter, and really started to get going.

I think the team realized what it took for him to do that considering his health and it sparked them.

When Buff is healthy and playing the more defensively responsible game he has started to learn, he will be amongst the elite defensemen in the NHL. He's not going anywhere.

02-27-2013, 02:25 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I don't think people realize how Byfuglien is maturing and becoming a more complete defenseman. He has been hurt most the year and still he finds ways to contribute.

I will say that without him gutting out that escape from blueline pressure and drive to the net early in the NYR game the Jets would have never gotten their offense on track. The team scored shortly thereafter, and really started to get going.

I think the team realized what it took for him to do that considering his health and it sparked them.

When Buff is healthy and playing the more defensively responsible game he has started to learn, he will be amongst the elite defensemen in the NHL. He's not going anywhere.
I completely agree.

I don't see Buff getting any worse I only see him getting better. He is still relatively new to the defense position in the NHL and I think is still learning a lot from the coaches about positioning defensively. Other than Karlsson, there is no one who can take over a game offensively from the blueline like him imo.

JetsWillFly4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Here's the trade:

To Philly - Dustin Byfuglien (D)

To Winnipeg - Sean Couturier (FWD-C), and Brayden Schenn (FWD-C)

Know why this will NEVER happen? Because neither team can afford to give up what each team would want in exchange, these players are far to valuable. Chevy isn't stupid, Buff is an asset to our team.

Flyers may be interested, but there are likely MANY teams interested in Buff or Kane at this point, doesn't mean Chevy will bite, unless he gets the better part of the trade (and I don't mean picks).

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
I completely agree.

I don't see Buff getting any worse I only see him getting better. He is still relatively new to the defense position in the NHL and I think is still learning a lot from the coaches about positioning defensively. Other than Karlsson, there is no one who can take over a game offensively from the blueline like him imo.
When I think of players, I think: Is this a guy who is going to be instrumental in us winning a cup? Players on the Jets that I believe are a lock in this category

-Bogosian
-Kane
-Burmistrov (not a typo)
-Byfuglien
-Ladd

I'm not saying everyone else is disposable, I'm just saying if we won a cup, these would be the guys I would bet money on to doing the kinds of things they needed to do to win. Clutch plays, scoring goals, defensive plays, passion, heart, soul, never quit.

A healthy Byfuglien in the playoffs will be an absolute force and afaic critical to keep if we have Stanley Cup aspirations in the future. You don't just go out and get a Byfuglien.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:58 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post

Absolutely. Aside from when he's played hurt he has been better than he ever was last year. He actually checks that someone steps in to support his side when he pinches and he no longer pinches for loose pucks that he'll clearly get beaten to - we actually see him peel back.

That play last night was ridiculous. He made a Datsyukian deke to beat the first Ranger and then dragged the rest of their team on his back around the offensive zone. Watch the replay again. Half the Rangers were laying on the ice when he dished the puck off and all were completely panicked after. No other defenseman except Karlsson can wreak havoc in the offensive zone like that with any regularity.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Absolutely. Aside from when he's played hurt he has been better than he ever was last year. He actually checks that someone steps in to support his side when he pinches and he no longer pinches for loose pucks that he'll clearly get beaten to - we actually see him peel back.

That play last night was ridiculous. He made a Datsyukian deke to beat the first Ranger and then dragged the rest of their team on his back around the offensive zone. Watch the replay again. Half the Rangers were laying on the ice when he dished the puck off and all were completely panicked after. No other defenseman except Karlsson can wreak havoc in the offensive zone like that with any regularity.
The craziest thing about Byfuglien is that one of his best assets is his skating. When can you ever say that about a giant like that? If he ever decided he wanted to really start hitting guys it would be a graveyard in the Jets zone. I think he will do that during the playoffs if need be too.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
I don't understand why Buff is the "second best d-man" in the league. He's arguably the second best d-man on the Jets roster but he's 32nd among d-men in scoring in the league per the NHL web site. If its potential, he's reached his physical maturity point. And I would put him back on offense.

As to the rumor, Philly is getting desperate. They have been desperate to acquire a signature d-man for some time.

I would take L Schenn and a first and give Buff and a 4th. Would not take Briere. Would take Simmonds.

Were you trying to quote me? I said second best offensive D in the league. Tell me who is better than Byfuglien offensively other than Karlsson. Judging by stats from a very limited number of games is insane, especially when Byfuglien has missed some of those games and played hurt in others. Judge by actually watching games or failing that, actually looking up stats from last year.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Bob E

Buff's injuries aren't scaring anyone else?

A 6'5 275+ lb guy, who isn't the model workout specimen, asked to play huge minutes in a sport that requires speed, conditioning and strength?

Now, Buff is big and strong, and surprisingly fast, but his conditioning and size concerns me that injuries will continue to bother him in his career.

The guy has a bomb from the point and is definitely a game changer. I just wonder what the Jets think long-term.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post

A 6'5 275+ lb guy, who isn't the model workout specimen, asked to play huge minutes in a sport that requires speed, conditioning and strength?

Now, Buff is big and strong, and surprisingly fast, but his conditioning and size concerns me that injuries will continue to bother him in his career.

The guy has a bomb from the point and is definitely a game changer. I just wonder what the Jets think long-term.
I'll admit that I do think about that. But I don't know what the Jets think long term.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Pongs21

I'd rather keep Buff, but if he was indeed going to Philly I would be ok with a return of L. Schenn, Simmonds and a 1st for Buff and a 3rd

Pongs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:

His injuries worry me a little, but he did play 77, 82 and 81 over a 3 year stretch. Lets hope this is just a blip and not the start of a trend.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
His injuries worry me a little, but he did play 77, 82 and 81 over a 3 year stretch. Lets hope this is just a blip and not the start of a trend.
Agreed.

Unless we trade him, of course. .

Jk, I'd hope a deal works out for both Jets and Buff, if one was made.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Hansen Brother

Buff is a hell of a player and I'm glad to have him on the team, but Buff, Bogo, and Trouba is an over investment in RD. Unless one of them can effectively convert to LD I can't see how we can rationalize having one of those guy play the third pairing.

If someone can explain to me how having a stacked RD instead of using one of those guys to bolster a different position through trade I'm willing to listen.

I'm not saying at this time with this team but at some point one of those three will have to be moved, I see no way around it.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
Unless one of them can effectively convert to LD I can't see how we can rationalize having one of those guy play the third pairing.
I see no way around it.
I see a way around it. It involves one player learning to play their offside. I think you see a way around it as well

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
lablite47

Quote:

I agree that he is one of the most sought after D's of the day, but my point exactly.... WHEN he is healthy! Unfortunately with the combination of his lack of conditioning and age, I would be willing to guarantee that give him maximum of 2 more years and he will be a Gomez. This is the best time for us to get the maximum value, especially if we can get 2013 picks (deepest draft for a while) along with another top 3 forward or top 2 D. We're not going to win the cup in the next 2 years so why waste his effectiveness to making playoffs? A team needing minor tweek to compete will pay dearly where the Jets will benefit big time long term!

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I see a way around it. It involves one player learning to play their offside. I think you see a way around it as well
Brilliant!

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:41 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
I agree that he is one of the most sought after D's of the day, but my point exactly.... WHEN he is healthy! Unfortunately with the combination of his lack of conditioning and age, I would be willing to guarantee that give him maximum of 2 more years and he will be a Gomez. This is the best time for us to get the maximum value, especially if we can get 2013 picks (deepest draft for a while) along with another top 3 forward or top 2 D. We're not going to win the cup in the next 2 years so why waste his effectiveness to making playoffs? A team needing minor tweek to compete will pay dearly where the Jets will benefit big time long term!
lol, Byfuglien's 27 why is he Scott Gomezing in 2 years again? I guess no players play past 29 anymore

Old
02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
lablite47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
lol, Byfuglien's 27 why is he Scott Gomezing in 2 years again? I guess no players play past 29 anymore
Not a 29 yr old 265 lbs guy...Sorry! Unless there's a miracle in his weight control in a hurry. It doesn't get easier as your approaching 30.

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
Not a 29 yr old 265 lbs guy...Sorry! Unless there's a miracle in his weight control in a hurry. It doesn't get easier as your approaching 30.
Maybe at 35, I'm pretty sure that given he can handle 25+ minutes a night while injured right now in 2 years he's not going to be a useless player for no apparent reason other than getting closer to 30. I guess we will have to wait and see!

Old
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
This is an honest question and I really would like to know if you have an answer, no hostility intended whatsoever.

Who are some defencemen who have played for substantial parts of their careers on their off hand and been as successful as when they play their natural side? Has there ever been guys who prefer playing their off hand?

Old
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Hobble

Simmonds, Couturier, Coburn, 1st for Buff

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote