HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Panthers 6, Penguins 4

Old
02-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
i don't expect Dainty Danny Boy to change one thing either. he's the biggest coward among all NHL coaches.
So what sort of bravado or manliness, exactly, are you expect Bylsma to demonstrate?

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Guins71

- Too many players getting free rides on this team. No accountability.
- Kennedy has been crap this year. He has a spot every game.
- Tanner Glass does not add much. I expected better board work.
- 11-4 with Despres, 2-3 with Despres out of the lineup. Let the kid play
- If Craig Adams and Tanner Glass are not penalty killing well, what do they add?
- DB should have called timeout with 1:25 left

+ Martin

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
You don't scratch Letang for one bad game. Nisky is iffy
You don't scratch Letang but he's had a lot more than 1 bad game.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87

I really hope we don't trade our first round pick (or any of our main prospects). We are not a Stanley Cup contender this year. Look around the league. We're in the second tier of playoff contenders. We're no match for the likes of Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles. That's the top tier. We're somewhere in that second tier. Could 1-2 trades push us up into the top tier? Perhaps. But that assumes Chicago, Boston or LA don't improve as well.

Their goaltending is better than ours. Their defense (the collection of defensemen, forwards, system and goaltending) is better than ours. We run around constantly and can look like that Philadelphia series even when we're not playing Philadelphia.

All of those teams are tougher than ours. Chicago is the only one we're close to in this category, but they react positively when something happens on the ice. Plus they have the skill.

All of those teams can out-coach us with relative ease, not to mention several other teams that aren't true Cup contenders. This ultimately the biggest problem.

So, kick the tires on wingers. Look for hockey trades. But don't sell the farm this year. We're simply not good enough.

As an aside, there's no way the four young players we're trying to develop don't deserve regular ice time. I'm talking about Beau Bennett, Dustin Jeffrey, Robert Bortuzzo and Simon Despres. They shouldn't be sharing roster spots. They should all play the rest of the way. Let's see if we can develop these guys.

Bennett has done NOTHING WRONG so far to suggest he doesn't belong here. Just keep using him. Jeffrey is probably our third-best center. If we're going to continue to go with Vitale on the fourth line (who let's face it he is a black hole offensively, although if he wasn't anchored to Glass and Adams I think he could produce SOME offense), then I think Jeffrey works better than Sutter as our third-line center for this team. Perhaps if we got that elite winger for Crosby's line I'd feel differently. But I think Jeffrey can develop into a better two-way center than Sutter. Sutter will always be a better checking center, so it depends on what we need more. But just keep Jeffrey in the lineup, even after Malkin returns.

Same thing with the defensemen. There's no reason why Despres and Bortuzzo need to be sharing a spot in the lineup. They've both earned their spot. Leave them in and let's see what they give us the rest of the way.

The target should be 2013-14 now. Hopefully, by then, we'll have a new coach...and these four younger guys can be full-time members of the team and a part of the solushun going forward.

The eyeball test suggests we're not going to win anything this year.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Very irritating play by #58. Also, I'm not overreacting at all when I say Vokoun sucks, he couldn't keep us in a game against Philly, and he got lit up by one of the worst offenses in the league with most of their good players out. A 3rd line checker got a HAT TRICK! 4 power play goals against Vokoun? Sorry that doesn't cut it with me, cut his ass.

- Tomas Vokoun - I gave my reason above, he's not a good player for us, he's a waste of $2M, with the cap going down next season, I don't think the Pens should pay him $2M when they can play someone league minimum to play the same way.
He had a couple bad games. He is a time-tested high-end goalie.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I dont get the people talking how it was nice to see the pens battle back. Florida goalie gave up some awful goals thats not battling back thats just their goalie playing really bad and letting us back into the game.
maybe i'm just a big baby to everyone here, but i agree with this. this is NOT a good team they lost to, and the fact that they came back in a game like this reflects more on how bad Florida is than how good the Pens are. the Pens are not a tough team to play.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Trade everyone. Eff this piss poor effort to the lowly Panthers. So disgusted.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:29 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
i'm not surprised they play weak. i think coaches like Tortorella, Boudreau, and even Therrien wouldn't put up with this garbage.
...Boudreau? Seriously?

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
So what sort of bravado or manliness, exactly, are you expect Bylsma to demonstrate?
if he's not flipping tables he should be fired

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Penalties can't have so many.

Letang, you're not PP QB. Your head isn't in the game.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
...Boudreau? Seriously?
yes, seriously, and i stand by that. he'll at least show he gives a ****.

Old
GrouperTrooper

An OTL or a shootout loss would have been acceptable because you'd feel like they stole a point. Instead they gave it away for the second time in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Agreed.

With that said, this is a disappointing loss for sure.

To battle all the way back, tie it up at 4-4 and then ultimately lose = acceptable.

With that said, we dug our own grave with all the BS penalties we took.

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WarriorScholar

+ we aren't peaking too soon

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

okay, since it now seems safe to question Letang:

He does this multiple times a game. Not just bad pinches or chips or rushes, but his decision-making with the puck is so horrible. I think it was against Florida, part I, he was skating in the defensive zone, was being slightly pressured from behind, but had ice in front of him to skate up ice, and he just throws a blind backhand into the middle of the ice. Which resulted in a turnover and a good chance for the opposition.

Then there was Sunday night on the PP after Bennett scored. He's pinned right at the blue line. He can whip it in deep and let the forwards win a battle while a man up. Instead, he tries to pass it through a defender 1 foot away from him, which is intercepted. Luckily it doesn't result in an odd-man rush.

Let's not mention the nearly costly icing against the Jets.

He doesn't make the smart, simple decision, EVER.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FDBluth

Letang holds onto the puck waaayyy too long in pretty much every situation. He never knows what to do with the puck once he gets it. His physical ability almost makes up for it.

It should be Martin and Niskanen on the powerplay.

Also, the breakout sucks. There's seemingly no regroup strategy if they don't hit the center get the chip play right away. It results in 3 forwards way outside of the zone and the d-men standing in their own zone with no one to pass to. This needs to be addressed or a good coach will eat that up in the playoffs.

Relatedly, the breakout and zone entry on the powerplay is terrible. It doesn't seem like they even have a strategy.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
I would at least like to see some emotion out of him. Not like Torts, but something. Christ, he just stands there with that dumbass look on his face. Get heated, show you care. Do something.. Your players feed off that emotion. I know I did when my coach would show some emotion.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:31 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

++Martin

+DJ

+Letang. You guys beat up on him too much. From what I can tell his biggest malfunction (apart from being dead weight on the PP) is the forwards seem to take it for granted he'll be able to make a 50 foot pass and don't come back for the breakout enough.

-Niskanen

-Neal. This guy has forgotten how to both cycle and forecheck.

-Voukoun. some of those were pretty weak.

-Bennett. Needs to start eating whatever Martin's eating and swap out that muffin for a cannon.

-Steiggy and Errey. Guys. Come on. To my knowledge, nobody else on planet Earth objected to what Gudbranson did the other day. Let it go.

--George McPhee. Followed the Caps as my second team for a long time. Didn't understand why he thought Fleischmann was so expendable a few years back. I remain no less confused than I was back then.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
I would at least like to see some emotion out of him. Not like Torts, but something. Christ, he just stands there with that dumbass look on his face. Get heated, show you care. Do something.. Your players feed off that emotion. I know I did when my coach would show some emotion.
Or the players can play better and not take dumb penalties.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
this is what i've been trying to say. at least Boudreau and Torts are noticeably upset when they're team is hot garbage. is it so much to ask for Bylsma to act like a coach that cares about his damn team?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

+ 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference. We are a good hockey team.

+ We are about as far from being a Cup contending team as we were 2 months before the deadline in 2009.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
And I looked at coaches who do that **** as clowns

Old
02-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
this is what i've been trying to say. at least Boudreau and Torts are noticeably upset when they're team is hot garbage. is it so much to ask for Bylsma to act like a coach that cares about his damn team?
And those coaches have short shelf lives. Sure you want that again?

Here's an idea - THE PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY BETTER

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
+ 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference. We are a good hockey team. We are about as far from a Cup winning team as we were 2 months before the deadline in 2009.
Agreed. As pissed as I am at tonight's performance, I've got no doubt we're a contender with a full roster.

Really need to get this discipline thing in check though - it's out of hand.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Trying to imagine Torts coaching this team. I think banging my head against a wall would be less painful than that.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
And those coaches have short shelf lives. Sure you want that again?

Here's an idea - THE PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY BETTER
it's tricky. Yes, the players need to play better, but when the same issues keep happening over and over and over, something has to change.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote