HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Panthers 6, Penguins 4

Old
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
And those coaches have short shelf lives. Sure you want that again?

Here's an idea - THE PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY BETTER
so the coach has NO ROLE WHATSOEVER when it comes to motivating the team? are you sure?

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
--George McPhee. Followed the Caps as my second team for a long time. Didn't understand why he thought Fleischmann was so expendable a few years back. I remain no less confused than I was back then.
I can't hate that guy after what he goes through just to play after his blood clot issue, but you just knew he was going to get his 100th goal vs the Pens. He's one of those players who seems to like playing Pittsburgh.

Also Bourque was asked about the discipline during the INT and he said the coaches have talked about it, but eventually it is up to the players to listen.

And let's be fair, should we really be complaining about announcers? TB did not win tonight Steiggy

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

- Letang for playing a disgusting game. Individually to blame for three goals. Three. And terribad as usual on the PP. To be completely honest, while obviously too much of a negative example to be a general thing, this game is a good reason why Letang is not elite in any other shape than 5 on 5 (where he is frankly one of the best in the league). He trusts his skating far too much, and makes terrible decisions because of it. It is unconscionable that he is third in PK TOI for the Pens, and at some point his indecision and inability to first time a shot has to have consequences for his PP time.

- Bylsma. This is just not a fundamentally solid hockey team. I don't care what anyone says, our hockey is too ugly and fragmented on most nights that I can accept it. The time out today is a lousy example, but the consistency with which he use it in a head scratching way is just one of those things that makes you wonder about all the rest. I have plenty of ice time misgivings also, as per usual.

- Kennedy. Abortion on ice, again.
- Vokoun didn't look too good.... but I blame Letang and the PK a lot more.

+ Martin was stellar. Brooks was good.
+ Vitale. Who of course gets rewarded with 7 lousy minutes.

Can't really think of anyone else who deserves a plus. Most were more meh.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
+ 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference. We are a good hockey team.

+ We are about as far from being a Cup contending team as we were 2 months before the deadline in 2009.
This. Let's not get carried away boys...

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fire Shero*

- Letang
- Vokoun
- Niskanen
- Orpik
- Neal he looked like TK out there taking such low percentage shots.
- Kennedy why is he even playing anymore? What team would possibly want him?
- giving up 6 goals to the worst team in the eastern conference

Horrible game

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
- THE FLORIDA PANTHER ANNOUNCERS: I understand that you need to be somewhat homerific for the fans, but if Florida ever develops a decent-sized fan base, they will have the hockey IQ of a gnat.
I work nights so DVR the games so I don't miss the first period and accidently taped the wrong broadcast. Everything about the broadcast was bad. Crappy picture, lousy announcers. I was glad when I caught up to "like" tv and could switch over to the Root broadcast.

--------- Vokoun
--- PK

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
+ we aren't peaking too soon

Old
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
I would at least like to see some emotion out of him. Not like Torts, but something. Christ, he just stands there with that dumbass look on his face. Get heated, show you care. Do something.. Your players feed off that emotion. I know I did when my coach would show some emotion.
He's infuriating. He looks like a character actor from Revenge of the Nerds, not an NHL head coach.

I think he's the worst coach to win a Stanley Cup since Jean Perron in 1986 (Montreal).

This problem isn't going away. The elephant in the room?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
so the coach has NO ROLE WHATSOEVER when it comes to motivating the team? are you sure?
So the players have no responsibility to not make dumb passes and take silly penalties? You have to have loud-mouthed ass clowns like Therrien or Tortorella screaming at them all the time?

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:38 PM
WarriorScholar

+ Shero is pissed

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
And those coaches have short shelf lives. Sure you want that again?

Here's an idea - THE PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY BETTER
Listen I'm not saying he needs to start busting sticks on the boards or tossing gatorade bottles. But do something to create a sense of urgency. Yeah I get it, he's the "I keep my cool coach". But sometimes these guys (yes they are professionals) need to have someone light a fire under their ass.

Huge minus to the penalties. We can't keep playing a man down for half of a period (see second period).

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
This is not a bantam team. I think adherence to a game plan and discipline on the part of the players would work wonders...

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EVGENIMERLIN

I missed the game so I'm sure this won't add credence to my post, but regarding Letang:

He has a ton of talent, and for the most part I am glad he's a Penguin. With that being said he's not a smart player, and possibly not an intelligent human in general. He makes really dumb plays, and stupid decisions. I'm not sure if he lacks great vision, Hockey IQ, or what it is, but it happens at least 1-2 times a game. He'll make you hold your breath with his pure ability, and then when it comes to using his brain you'll shake your head in disbelief at his moronic plays. Again I love Letang for the most part, but I wish he was smarter.

EVGENIMERLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
i'm not surprised they play weak. i think coaches like Tortorella, Boudreau, and even Therrien wouldn't put up with this garbage.
Yes, let's bring in a hard @$$ coach that the players hate.....that sounds like a winning formula. I don't know if you have been paying attention since 1984, but the hard @ss types don't last here. I think our captain has to be a little more vocal about staying disciplined. It's not like the game plan failed 5 on 5......but dumb penalty after dumb penalty leading to 4 PP goals.

Penalties are on the players. And don't use the DB needs to bench players for being undisciplined act either. If DB benched Neal after his penalty and put Cooke on Crosby's line, most of you guys would complain about having Cooke with Crosby, and not using Neal.

The PLAYERS lost this game by making bad decisions. The system didn't fail, we didn't get out coached....the players lost a game that they should not have lost, that is it.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I really hope we don't trade our first round pick (or any of our main prospects). We are not a Stanley Cup contender this year. Look around the league. We're in the second tier of playoff contenders. We're no match for the likes of Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles. That's the top tier. We're somewhere in that second tier. Could 1-2 trades push us up into the top tier? Perhaps. But that assumes Chicago, Boston or LA don't improve as well.

Their goaltending is better than ours. Their defense (the collection of defensemen, forwards, system and goaltending) is better than ours. We run around constantly and can look like that Philadelphia series even when we're not playing Philadelphia.

All of those teams are tougher than ours. Chicago is the only one we're close to in this category, but they react positively when something happens on the ice. Plus they have the skill.

All of those teams can out-coach us with relative ease, not to mention several other teams that aren't true Cup contenders. This ultimately the biggest problem.

So, kick the tires on wingers. Look for hockey trades. But don't sell the farm this year. We're simply not good enough.

As an aside, there's no way the four young players we're trying to develop don't deserve regular ice time. I'm talking about Beau Bennett, Dustin Jeffrey, Robert Bortuzzo and Simon Despres. They shouldn't be sharing roster spots. They should all play the rest of the way. Let's see if we can develop these guys.

Bennett has done NOTHING WRONG so far to suggest he doesn't belong here. Just keep using him. Jeffrey is probably our third-best center. If we're going to continue to go with Vitale on the fourth line (who let's face it he is a black hole offensively, although if he wasn't anchored to Glass and Adams I think he could produce SOME offense), then I think Jeffrey works better than Sutter as our third-line center for this team. Perhaps if we got that elite winger for Crosby's line I'd feel differently. But I think Jeffrey can develop into a better two-way center than Sutter. Sutter will always be a better checking center, so it depends on what we need more. But just keep Jeffrey in the lineup, even after Malkin returns.

Same thing with the defensemen. There's no reason why Despres and Bortuzzo need to be sharing a spot in the lineup. They've both earned their spot. Leave them in and let's see what they give us the rest of the way.

The target should be 2013-14 now. Hopefully, by then, we'll have a new coach...and these four younger guys can be full-time members of the team and a part of the solushun going forward.

The eyeball test suggests we're not going to win anything this year.
I agree with lots and lots in this post.
Unfortunately coaches cannot get fired when their team is leading its division and looking a mortal lock for the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
So the players have no responsibility to not make dumb passes and take silly penalties? You have to have loud-mouthed ass clowns like Therrien or Tortorella screaming at them all the time?
i never suggested the players have absolutely no responsibility, but don't you think some of those mistakes would be reduced to a degree if they had a coach that acted like a ****ing coach? Bylsma is such a pansy of a coach. nobody is ever held accountable anymore. it's all either "we didn't get to our game" or here "we're high in the standings so stop complaining"

there is no accountability and no toughness left on this team anymore. period. somewhere along the line, SOMETHING has to be done. "oh we'll keep winning games in the regular season anyway so we'll sweep all of their apparent issues under the rug for another 8 months"

Old
Shockmaster

If they had a hard-ass as an assistant coach I wouldn't be bothered. I just don't want to see a hard-ass as the head coach. That generally doesn't end well.

Old
silvsiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
+ Shero is pissed
I don't know. I thought he was pissed after the Philadelphia series last postseason and I truly believe that this team has become worse since then (with the exception of Paul Martin). Not to mention of course that no lessons were learned from that series either. At what point is enough enough? Frankly, I don't even want the Pens to make the playoffs because this time around, it won't be 6 games, it will be a sweep.

silvsiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I agree with lots and lots in this post.
Unfortunately coaches cannot get fired when their team is leading its division and looking a mortal lock for the playoffs.
Honestly, why not?

Different expectations for different coaches. THIS coach needs to win another Stanley Cup, or at least get us out of the first round.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Honestly, why not?

Different expectations for different coaches. THIS coach needs to win another Stanley Cup, or at least get us out of the first round.
Again, I agree with you entirely. I just cannot remember an example where a coach got booted in the NHL in a similar situation.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Motivating...Yes. Making every decision on the ice for them....NO

Coaches and goalies are the easiest to blame, and that is why you see it so much.

PS speaking of goalies.....Does anyone still want to argue that Fleury should be on the bench?

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:45 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Listen I'm not saying he needs to start busting sticks on the boards or tossing gatorade bottles. But do something to create a sense of urgency. Yeah I get it, he's the "I keep my cool coach". But sometimes these guys (yes they are professionals) need to have someone light a fire under their ass.

Huge minus to the penalties. We can't keep playing a man down for half of a period (see second period).
it's never the coach's fault. they should keep Bylsma for another 10 years.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
i never suggested the players have absolutely no responsibility, but don't you think some of those mistakes would be reduced to a degree if they had a coach that acted like a ****ing coach? Bylsma is such a pansy of a coach. nobody is ever held accountable anymore. it's all either "we didn't get to our game" or here "we're high in the standings so stop complaining"

there is no accountability and no toughness left on this team anymore. period. somewhere along the line, SOMETHING has to be done. "oh we'll keep winning games in the regular season anyway so we'll sweep all of their apparent issues under the rug for another 8 months"
So because he doesn't yell and scream and have a red face all the time, it must be a county club atmosphere?

Bylsma certainly isn't perfect, but he's not the problem. The players need to play better.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Again, I agree with you entirely. I just cannot remember an example where a coach got booted in the NHL in a similar situation.
the Pens win JUST ENOUGH games to get the fans to forget there are any issues with the team that become more and more apparent.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Glad I spent most of the night shoveling heavy snow instead of watching the game. At least I got some pizza out of it. Bottom line, contenders don't regularly lose to subpar teams. Contenders bury subpar teams more often than not. Letting the Florida Panthers score 5 (legit) goals on us? Jesus that is pathetic by any measure.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote