HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Charlie Coyle elbowing major, targeting the head? Suspension? UPD: No Hearing

Old
02-27-2013, 05:02 PM
TheSituation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Correct ruling IMO. He gets warned and if he does it again then action will be taken. I would have been ok with a fine at the most. Dumb late hit but there was no intent to injure IMO.
Agreed.

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Your comparison using a guy who came out 10 minutes later and was fine for the rest of the game to a guy who is now on injured reserve, really nails your whole point
He came out 30 minutes later and played what 5 shifts again Crosby finished the winter classic I guess he was faking too?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He came out 30 minutes later and played what 5 shifts again Crosby finished the winter classic I guess he was faking too?
Is Stajan on IR? Does he have a concussion? Did he go see a doctor?

According to this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Wild fans never actually really saw the hit from their feed. They had been fed that the call was terrible and Stajan was diving before they saw the Sportsnet feed, some going so far as saying he wasn't hit. First impressions last and that's why a couple of their fans are sticking with Stajan dived. That's the only reason I can see why people would claim someone getting hit in the head by a 210 pound rookie, going to the locker room for the remainder of the period while bleeding could call it embellishment.

I'm fine with no suspension, although I believe Coyle should have got the misconduct during the game.
He was bleeding. So if he actually was, wouldn't it make sense that THAT'S why he went back into the locker room? Which would also lead into him being back in the third. Bleeding=/=major head injury. You're comparing this to people who had major head injuries.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:37 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Is Stajan on IR? Does he have a concussion? Did he go see a doctor?

According to this guy:

He was bleeding. So if he actually was, wouldn't it make sense that THAT'S why he went back into the locker room? Which would also lead into him being back in the third. Bleeding=/=major head injury. You're comparing this to people who had major head injuries.
I never said he had a major head injury I am saying just because he was down and came back doesn't mean he was faking it means he was hurt then felt better, there are many examples of people being really hurt and coming back.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

Suspending Coyle would (or should) be based on the notion that he did something stupid. Not on whether the guy on the receiving end is seriously injured or not.

Last edited by Saving Greiss: 02-27-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I never said he had a major head injury I am saying just because he was down and came back doesn't mean he was faking it means he was hurt then felt better, there are many examples of people being really hurt and coming back.
Sounds like an argument for another thread considering Stajan isn't injured.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Suspending Coyle would (or should) be based on the notion that he did something stupid. Not on whether the guy on the receiving end is seriously injured or not.
Agreed. Action shouldn't be based on what the result was, but what could have happened. A late hit that targeted the head should warrant further disciplinary action, regardless if Stajan gets a concussion or not. Good thing Stajan was able to brace himself.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
OpRedDawn*

He didn't target the head though

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:10 PM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 537
Watch Coyle lunge upwards
Watch Stajan's head and what hits him
Notice that Stajan's head would have been hit had he not braced himself/straightened up at the very last moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
He didn't target the head though

A late hit where he lunges upwards with his shoulder. You can watch it in higher definition from 0:25-0:29 on the video in OP. If Stajan still had his knees bent, that upward lunge would have been head shot.

Last edited by MuffinMerc: 02-27-2013 at 11:15 PM.
MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Bookman

vCash: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post

A late hit where he lunges upwards with his shoulder. You can watch it in higher definition from 0:25-0:29 on the video in OP.
Let it go dude - you've lost this one.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Langdon Alger*

I said a suspension was a no-brainer, and it was. Of course, I failed to take into account that those in charge of the NHL indeed have no brains.

Not too hard to see the league's policy on hits to the head - throw the book at the few players who put superstars on the shelf with concussions, and do sweet diddly-squat about the rest. I'm sure it'll come as a shock when the NFL-style lawsuits come rolling in.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
I said a suspension was a no-brainer, and it was. Of course, I failed to take into account that those in charge of the NHL indeed have no brains.

Not too hard to see the league's policy on hits to the head - throw the book at the few players who put superstars on the shelf with concussions, and do sweet diddly-squat about the rest. I'm sure it'll come as a shock when the NFL-style lawsuits come rolling in.
Funny. To me, this was a no brainer non-suspension, and it was.

If you want to start suspending these hits then go ahead, but first you must change the rules and set a new precedent.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
They don't suspend intent without results, unfortunately.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Watch Coyle lunge upwards
Watch Stajan's head and what hits him
Notice that Stajan's head would have been hit had he not braced himself/straightened up at the very last moment

A late hit where he lunges upwards with his shoulder. You can watch it in higher definition from 0:25-0:29 on the video in OP. If Stajan still had his knees bent, that upward lunge would have been head shot.
Game, set, match

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote