HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does the Rivet trade make up for the Gomez one?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
  #1
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 266
Does the Rivet trade make up for the Gomez one?

Simple question guys, do you guys think the Craig Rivet trade for Gorges and 1st (Pacioretty) is good enough to make up for Gomez's trade for McDonagh and Higgins?

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
  #2
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
No

It was a great trade from Gainey but that's what deadline deals go for, as for the Gomez trade we were basically doing the Rangers a favor and everyone knew they were targeting Gaborik with the money, Gainey is the one that should have asked for a prospect or draft pick to take on that crap salary

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
  #3
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Not at all

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
  #4
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
No. Bad trade is a bad trade.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
  #5
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Simple question guys, do you guys think the Craig Rivet trade for Gorges and 1st (Pacioretty) is good enough to make up for Gomez's trade for McDonagh and Higgins?
Hockey wise: yes

Money wise: no


But Gainey also traded Ribeiro for Niinimaa... And in one single day made our team super tiny with Cammy and Gionta signings.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:59 AM
  #6
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No

It was a great trade from Gainey but that's what deadline deals go for, as for the Gomez trade we were basically doing the Rangers a favor and everyone knew they were targeting Gaborik with the money, Gainey is the one that should have asked for a prospect or draft pick to take on that crap salary
What makes it worse is I doubt anyone else would have taken Gomez. Like you said everyone knew the Rags wanted Gaborik, so why do them a favor, take the salary and give them any useful parts.

Higgins, Valentenko, McDonagh and Doug Janik
for
Gomez, Pyatt and Mike Busto

We overpaid dearly for someone that was overpaid that they didn't want. Take McDonagh out, and that trade makes more sense.

As far as the OP question goes. Every trade is evaluated on its own. We sure could have used McDonagh last year, and this year also if he was here. And last year we didn't have Gomez, just his salary and his roster spot.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
  #7
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
A better question would be, if you could can take back both trades, or keep both, which option would you take.

I'd do both trades, seeing how it all played out.

Gomez was ****, but his contract didn't really affect us much when you look at it now then some might think.

In his first year, he was fine, in his second year he was horrible, but I remember RDS reported that the Habs actually made a offer to Brad Richards which would mean that Gauthier was planning to either trade him (there was rumours of him going to the Islanders) or put him in the AHL. And now is he bought out.

For me the piece left out are Gorges, Patches> Mcdonagh

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:05 PM
  #8
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
A better question would be, if you could can take back both trades, or keep both, which option would you take.

I'd do both trades, seeing how it all played out.

Gomez was ****, but his contract didn't really affect us much when you look at it now then some might think.

In his first year, he was fine, in his second year he was horrible, but I remember RDS reported that the Habs actually made a offer to Brad Richards which would mean that Gauthier was planning to either trade him (there was rumours of him going to the Islanders) or put him in the AHL. And now is he bought out.

For me the piece left out are Gorges, Patches> Mcdonagh
Obviously it turned out well with Gorges and Pacioretty but the bottom line is McDonagh should have never been moved. 25+ minutes a game you don't get lucky that often to draft or sign players like that on a yearly basis

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:06 PM
  #9
jaffy27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
never ever, it's like the Patrick Roy trade but not as horrid

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:17 PM
  #10
thewall
Registered User
 
thewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
would u ratter have no Pacioretty and no Gorges over having McDonagh and Higgins ???

We had a steal for Rivet.. and we craped the bed with the Gomez Team..

Habs are first in the East

Rangers are out of the playoffs..

last season it was the other way around...

Can we please get over the Gomez trade.. he's gone from the Habs anyways.. why bring it up every single day on the hf boards???

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  #11
Bask
Embellishing User
 
Bask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
would u ratter have no Pacioretty and no Gorges over having McDonagh and Higgins ???

We had a steal for Rivet.. and we craped the bed with the Gomez Team..

Habs are first in the East

Rangers are out of the playoffs..

last season it was the other way around...

Can we please get over the Gomez trade.. he's gone from the Habs anyways.. why bring it up every single day on the hf boards???
actually can we please all take a magic pill to forget that whole Gauthier/Gainey/Martin era? do we have a mad scientist somewhere on this board?

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  #12
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
would u ratter have no Pacioretty and no Gorges over having McDonagh and Higgins ???

We had a steal for Rivet.. and we craped the bed with the Gomez Team..

Habs are first in the East

Rangers are out of the playoffs..

last season it was the other way around...

Can we please get over the Gomez trade.. he's gone from the Habs anyways.. why bring it up every single day on the hf boards???
We finished last with Max and Josh in the lineup too. Gainey still sucked during his tenure here.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:22 PM
  #13
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Obviously it turned out well with Gorges and Pacioretty but the bottom line is McDonagh should have never been moved. 25+ minutes a game you don't get lucky that often to draft or sign players like that on a yearly basis
Agree 100%, and I think everyone agrees with that, so to actually have a discussion about both trades, it might be better to ask that you either would you be ok with Gainey making both those trades, or not making them.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
  #14
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Mutually exclusive and have nothing to do with each other, no offence OP but it just seems like a stupid question. I don't see the logic in these kinds of things, a bad trade is a bad trade, the only thing I can see making one sting less is a Stanley Cup, but that's it.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
  #15
Habsrule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
I say that we just forget about that whole trade.

We have new management who are going with the youth movement now.

The Gomez trade was done three and a half years ago. We should let it go people. Turn the page and keep going forward now.

I will admit that it would be nice to have McDonagh but lets let the past be the past and lets look ahead to our very bright future.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
  #16
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,304
vCash: 500
Would you make this trade?

McD, Rivet, Higgins

for

Max, Gorges, Gomez, Pyatt


I would. Esp when you factor in the buyout that we were able to do with Gomez.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
  #17
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On
 
HabsHockey*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Nothing can ever make up for the Gomez trade. It never made sense from the start.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:25 PM
  #18
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Would you make this trade?

McD, Rivet, Higgins

for

Max, Gorges, Gomez, Pyatt


I would. Esp when you factor in the buyout that we were able to do with Gomez.
Forgot Busto a key player in the trade

PricerStopDaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:28 PM
  #19
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Would you make this trade?

McD, Rivet, Higgins

for

Max, Gorges, Gomez, Pyatt


I would. Esp when you factor in the buyout that we were able to do with Gomez.
McD, Rivet, Higgins, Valentenko, rights to Janik, Julien Demers (5th round pick)

for

Max, Gorges, Gomez, Pyatt, Busto

And yes, yes I would.

I personally have moved on with the Gomez trade. It doesn't bother me anymore.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:41 PM
  #20
Slippy13
Registered User
 
Slippy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
What makes it worse is I doubt anyone else would have taken Gomez. Like you said everyone knew the Rags wanted Gaborik, so why do them a favor, take the salary and give them any useful parts.

Higgins, Valentenko, McDonagh and Doug Janik
for
Gomez, Pyatt and Mike Busto

We overpaid dearly for someone that was overpaid that they didn't want. Take McDonagh out, and that trade makes more sense.

As far as the OP question goes. Every trade is evaluated on its own. We sure could have used McDonagh last year, and this year also if he was here. And last year we didn't have Gomez, just his salary and his roster spot.
You know what, I really liked Gainey. I thought he was a stand up guy doing the best that he could. But **** when I think back to that UFA season, man did this guy mess up the organization.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
  #21
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post
You know what, I really liked Gainey. I thought he was a stand up guy doing the best that he could. But **** when I think back to that UFA season, man did this guy mess up the organization.
Seriously ? That team went to the ECF...

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
  #22
Slippy13
Registered User
 
Slippy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Seriously ? That team went to the ECF...
And our GM is still cleaning up the mess years later. That was a cinderella run and there was little foresight.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
  #23
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,023
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post
You know what, I really liked Gainey. I thought he was a stand up guy doing the best that he could. But **** when I think back to that UFA season, man did this guy mess up the organization.
To be fair, that UFA class helped us get the furthest in the playoffs the Habs had been in a decade. So when I think of "messed up organizations"...well we could really be in a lot worse shape, trust me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:53 PM
  #24
Slippy13
Registered User
 
Slippy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
To be fair, that UFA class helped us get the furthest in the playoffs the Habs had been in a decade. So when I think of "messed up organizations"...well we could really be in a lot worse shape, trust me.
I agree it could be a whole lot worse. Maybe it's just reading about the Gomez trade over again getting my blood boiling I can barely watch a Rags game seeing Mcdo playing so well.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
  #25
Guy Germaine
Registered User
 
Guy Germaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
This debate again? who the ***** cares about that trade anymore? It really wasn't as bad as a lot people make it out to be.
Higgins was a bum who poured his heart and soul into a shot glass and I remember back then that the Canadiens wanted some sort of commitment from McD,but I believe he didn't want to sign or leave school, yet signed with the Rags immediately and was in the NHL a year later.Besides, I'm more than happy having Emelin in that spot anyway.

Boston got roasted for trading Thornton for that package, and how'd that work out for them? Sometimes a terrible trade looks a lot better five years down the road, and the Habs are in much, much better shape than Rangers now, and going forward.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.