HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2011-2012: Our lucky year?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:48 PM
matt77

vCash: 500
2011-2012: Our lucky year?

It's one of my first post here, so I'll try to make it short. I don't know if somebody already brought that up, but I'd like to talk about how lucky we were to finish 15th last year...

Last season, something very special happened in the Eastern Conference. It was the first time since 1987-1988 that a team was finishing last of its conference with a +/- differentiel being that high. In other words, it was the first time in 25 years that a low-ranking team was that good. Let's take a look at the standings last year.

How many games did we lose by only one goal last year? We were bad, but we weren't that bad...I've tracked down every season since 2011-2012 and the last time something like that happened was in 1987-1988 when the Pittsburgh Penguins finished with a +/- differentiel of +3. The Mario Lemieux era combined with a few years finishing last helped them to win the Stanley Cup in 1990-1991 and 1991-1992.

My point is very simple. We finished in last position, we drafted Alex Galchenyuk, one of the most explosive players we had in many years, and Sebastian Collberg, a top ranking prospect who was classed 4th among the European skaters last year. And, we have some great core players with Carey Price, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty, etc.

Now, we're first of the conference and a new era is beginning. I'm not saying we're going to win the Stanley Cup this year, but maybe finishing 15th last year was not a bad thing at all...

matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:08 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
good post.

which is why when people put montreal at the bottom of the east again, you know they weren't paying attention to what had happened and were only standings-gazing

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:18 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
good post.

which is why when people put montreal at the bottom of the east again, you know they weren't paying attention to what had happened and were only standings-gazing
The 1 goal games were due to Martin's system.

Also, goal differential is only expected to strongly correlate with rank within a division.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
True, the Habs were under-performing last year, but...

Do you remember when Reggie Tremblay predicted that the Habs would be first in the east this year?? We all laughed at him big time.

I mean, OK, the guy is senile, irrelevant etc. But if the team keeps it up, he may have been spot on!

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:27 AM
ChoseLa

Before the season started we thought the line-up would be something along:

Patch - DD - Cole
Bourque - Plek - Gio
Prust - Eller - Armstrong
Moen - Nokia - White

We didn't know if Markov was still able to play, we didn't know Diaz and Bouillon would be that good.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:47 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Also, goal differential is only expected to strongly correlate with rank within a division.
who cares how it happens really, most people here knew we weren't that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
True, the Habs were under-performing last year, but...

Do you remember when Reggie Tremblay predicted that the Habs would be first in the east this year?? We all laughed at him big time.

I mean, OK, the guy is senile, irrelevant etc. But if the team keeps it up, he may have been spot on!
he was saying we'd win the cup, win the east, price for vezina, patches for richard (or hart can't remember) and chucky for calder

not saying they'll all come true, but oh dear god have mercy on our soul if he's right...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
matt77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Maybe you're right but this is particularly special because normally the teams who finished last always had a differential around -60, sometimes -100, or even -150 in some case.

The fact that we finished with a -15 differential is really unusual. Plus, we drafted two extremely talented players. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprise if the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup in the next 3-4 years.

matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
It wasn't even -14 in actual hockey situations either. NHL.com counts a shootout win as +1 and a shootout loss as -1 in the GF and GA columns. And we went 5-12 in the SO.

It was 207 goals for and 214 against in non-shootout situations, so only -7 was our actual goal differential.

Last year was divine intervention by the hockey gods in order to force us to clean house+get a stud C prospect.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote