Notices

All purpose Nathan Horton thread

Old
04-03-2013, 12:21 AM
westernhome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Depends. You know he's going to give it all this year and next, getting ready for the Olympics. Especially if he plays with Krejci, and well. If that's the idea then if it were a reasonable contract, I wouldn't be against it.

I'm reserving judgement on Horton so far, he's solid in the playoffs.
I think the playoffs will tell too, problem is if he is really good in the playoffs he might want a raise, which I don't think we should give... if anything I don't want to see him with too much of a cap hit in a year or two if his physical type game starts to decline in any way, and would actually like to see him signed a little lower than where he is at already

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 2598
I don't know. Horton may take a "hometown" discount to stay in Boston. Maybe something like 2 years @ 3.75 million per.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tales View Post
I don't know. Horton may take a "hometown" discount to stay in Boston. Maybe something like 2 years @ 3.75 million per.
Good luck on that...

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Dabruins

I will base it purely on his playoff performance. If he does well and helps us win than I would be on board for suffering through more completely frustrating regular seasons because all i care about is Playoffs.

If he is lazy, and not interested in these playoffs than cut ties and use the money elsewhere.

Dabruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
I think the playoffs will tell too, problem is if he is really good in the playoffs he might want a raise, which I don't think we should give... if anything I don't want to see him with too much of a cap hit in a year or two if his physical type game starts to decline in any way, and would actually like to see him signed a little lower than where he is at already
I don't think you need to worry about that. I don't see him making more than 4.5 a year next year anywhere, not at his age, lower cap, short contract.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Lord Ahriman

We can keep only 2 of Jagr, Rask and Horton.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Shouldn't we wait until Jagr actually played a game on the Bruins and then talk about contract extensions?

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Jagr or not, you let him go.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:32 AM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
Shouldn't we wait until Jagr actually played a game on the Bruins and then talk about contract extensions?
Totally agree. OP is putting the cart before the horse here. Let's see how Jagr performs before we think about extensions and letting go or keeping Horton. Heck, wait till we see what Horton gives us in the playoffs as well. And we have no idea what Soderberg brings to the table. There's too little information to talk money and extensions at this point in time.

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Xegiie

You could clearly see what Jagr can do this season... but take in account he should have way more assists, if he had someone with him

my concern is how is Jagr going to fit into boston playstyle and the chemistry with linemates, im crossing fingers for Krejci.

We shall see, i have no predictions, but im worried a little

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tales View Post
I think he might be more inclined to take a 1yr deal (4m)knowing the cap is going up next year.If he wants to stay with his buddy Lucic. Will have to wait a year to get the contract he wants. The Bruins will have more money to spend after next season and so will everybody else. Not having a great year and cap going down isn't good for free agency. Jagr isn't taking any discount. Guessing it would take close to 4.5m per to keep him. If we get rid of Peverly and Kelly, that saves 6.25m. More than enough to keep Jagr and Spooner. No idea what Soderberg gets.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
You could clearly see what Jagr can do this season... but take in account he should have way more assists, if he had someone with him

my concern is how is Jagr going to fit into boston playstyle and the chemistry with linemates, im crossing fingers for Krejci.

It's understandable to be concerned, their style isn't necessarily conducive to Jagr's style, however I am holding out hope. I think he will fit. He was brought in here to score goals an help our PP. I personally think Krejci is going to be in heaven playing with him. They played well together in the last Olympics and I know Krejci has to be excited. A chance to show his boyhood idol what he can do but playing with him?? Absolutely.

Excited to see all the Czechs coming through btw.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:24 AM
bostonphoenix

At this point I think you are asking Horton to take a 1 year deal at 2/3 million.

And I think you look to trade Lucic in the off season.

We are in cap trouble next season, the season after when the cap goes up I can only see them being comfortable.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Fire Sweeney

I wouldn't pay more than 2 M for Horton. I'd rather pay more for a real top 6 winger.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post

What I'm worried about is Claude wasting him on the 3rd line and passing the puck along the board to the point on the PP.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
chrisab123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonphoenix View Post
At this point I think you are asking Horton to take a 1 year deal at 2/3 million.

And I think you look to trade Lucic in the off season.

We are in cap trouble next season, the season after when the cap goes up I can only see them being comfortable.
I think Horton is gone, also I have a pretty big feeling that his replacement will come as a return for Krecji, thus moving Seguin to C.

chrisab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:34 AM
amazingcrwns
drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
We can keep only 2 of Jagr, Rask and Horton.
Unless of course the B's decide to use an amnesty buyout after the season. I know that's an unlikely scenario under JJ. I could see it if Soderberg comes across the pond and signs a contract for the rest of this season and next season then the B's could trade, or buyout Kelly or Peverley in order to keep all three of Jagr, Rask, and Horton.

Marchand - PB37 - Seguin
Lucic - Krejci - Jagr
Pevs - Soderberg - Horton
Merlot

I know it's not the most likely scenario, but I wanted to throw it out there as another possibility.

As for Horton / Jagr, I'd wait until after the season to decide on contract extensions. I guess I'm apprehensive about signing Horton again after the concussions. If he makes it through the season without another one then I'd like to bring him back, but I don't think the B's should sign on the dotted line until the season's over and he's still healthy.

amazingcrwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:34 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
it might not be necessary to do a signing of Horton right now... but it dons on me that Jagr is eligible for a creative extension that could reduce his cap hit number to something crazy enough that it would all of a sudden become feesible to retain Horton after all.

I am going to toss it out and see if it sticks cause I got to thinking about this tonight and the idea excites me.

first we have to get jagr to agree to an extension... but he did accept a trade here so I think that is doable. I propose we give him a 2 year extension so he can 'feel' the love. I propose a base salary around a million dollars up to maybe around 1.5 mill if necessary, which has been normal for guys to accept when they finish their careers with a team like Detroit in the past. Then use the ability of giving Jagr 'bonus' money to make up whatever difference he feels is necessary. Bonus money counts as a soft cap hit. Next year we are going to be in cap crunch hell, but we've seen how the cap grows in leaps and bounds in normal seasons... so my move is designed to get us through basically just this next year or two.

The new CBA allows for 2 compliance buyouts. So if the legs fall right off Jagr we can part on good terms with him after a single season. If I was running things Id give him a gentleman's agreement and tell him i'd buy him out at his request too if he wanted. Basically he agrees to play for us next year at around a 1 mill to 1.5 mill cap hit and that would be enough that we could keep Horton as I figure it.

The second part of my plan is that both Peverly/Kelly will have to be moved... but as good as they have been, we will be a much stronger team with this 6.25 million off the books.

I am thinking Soderberg will come over based on all the talk... so pencil him in for a top 9 role... and Spooner has nothing left to prove in the Ahl so pencil him in for another top 9 role...

suddenly our forward group looks affordable even with Horton around and just imagine the depth of 3 lines we can role out.

Seguin/Bergeron/Marchand continue to be allowed to stay together and they are our defacto top line rolling up positive results against whomever they match up against.

Jagr joins Krecji on what is probably the 'second line.' The LW spot can rotate between Lucic and Soderberg depending how Soderberg is doing breaking into the NHL. Jagr has been very good at helping 'kids' in recent years so I would like to see Jagr around to help Soderberg out and three euro's who understand euro style hockey should give teams something different to expect from us than they've been used to.

If Lucic is able to drop to the 'third line' and we keep Horton... this easily becomes the best 'third line' in the NHL and a massive problem for anyone to deal with. Spooner is my nod to join these guys but Id probably favour picking up a 13th forward that can play center just in case Spooner has problems during the season.

Fourth line can remain the same unless Knight is able to take a job away from Thornton. If he does, then we could move Thornton for cap saving and find a heavier hw fighter to be the 14th forward and dress in games we expect trouble.

Losing Kelly/Peverly would hurt the pk but gaining Jagr and keeping Horton would really help the scoring on this team.

This pickup really excites me... I hope they are thinking about turning it into something for next year too and are talking extension with Jagr. Id like to see both him and Horton locked up while the iron is hot.

Make it so
Anything is possible and your post illustrates that with many great pts. I could however see, if and WHEN the B`s win the Cup, Jagr hangin em up

As for Horty, I`m not sure Chia re-signs him, I`ve been hard on him this year with his MIA act far too often, we`ll see

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
I wouldn't pay more than 2 M for Horton. I'd rather pay more for a real top 6 winger.
Horton is a real top 6 winger... hes just not a franchise/impact game changing winger. but to say he isn't a real top 6 winger is wrong

im not sure there is a team in the nhl that has 4 wingers better than Horton? lets remember that the system that boston plays demands all of our guys to be defensively responsible and our pp sucks so our guys don't pad their numbers on a pp either... and none of our wingers get more than 18 mins of ice per game

if some guy on another team is playing 20 mins a night with an effective pp and isn't being required to play defense... than of course their numbers might be marginally better than Horton's

but what team has 4 better wingers than Horton? Pittsburgh has neal and iginla now... but would you really take kunitz over Horton? I wouldn't...

Edmonton has hall/eberle/yakupov and who? hemsky?

I think Horton would legitimately play top 6 on any team

I just personally have come to the conclusion that him and lucic with krecji doesn't effectively win their matchups on a regular basis against other team's top lines. the style lucic/Horton plays leads to too many naggy type injuries... and is too difficult to play effectively over an 82 game season and an extended run in the playoffs.

lucic was banged up on our run to the cup... Horton played well until his concusion... last year Horton missed the playoffs... so I realize we haven't seen both these guys healthy at the same time at playoff time now for a couple years.

when healthy... these guys are very very impressive... weve seen them totally unstoppable at times when they are both healthy...

I just am not comfortable relying on them to be healthy when needed... I don't want to put all my eggs in that one basket. Horton is a legit top 6 forward and if he goes to ufa he will get a raise on his current contract...

I am hoping he will take a 'hometown' discount to stay with us... I feel he would because of his injury history. if Horton gets hurt again before july then suddenly he might not get any contract at all.

he has finished 2 years in a row with a concusion... I can easily imagine that he would prefer to have a deal done now rather than go to ufa. I can easily imagine he might leave a million dollars or more per year on the table in order to get a deal done now.

that million dollars is important to us... because we have cap issues.

Horton at 4 mill playing on the third line is better to me than having peverly there at 3.25

if jagr was to agree to a 1 mill hard cap hit then the 2 million I figure we have in the budget to replace Horton could be split... half to jagr... half to the difference between Horton/peverly.

if soderberg comes in at a reasonable number and spooner is ready to play at a reasonable number than all the budget works.

we might even be able to upgrade the top 4 defense at this point

but it is very reliant on jagr agreeing to a friendly deal. we will be borrowing against the 2014 budget to cover whatever bonus money we give jagr in 2013....

its not a perfect solution, but it suddenly is a possible solution.

and we did it without giving up any significant prospect. A late first is a price I gladly pay just to get jagr for this one playoff run... but now we might have him for next year too...

make it so

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:55 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Horton? Let's see how he looks in the playoffs. I might be comfortable keeping him @ 2 years $9M.

04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
THE ARS*

Nate's getting a nice raise if he keeps up this goal per game pace.

Tom

THE ARS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
Nate's getting a nice raise if he keeps up this goal per game pace.

Tom
So he's not getting a nice raise.....

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
So he's not getting a nice raise.....

Someone had to do it.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:42 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
A lot can happen between today and June 25th

the body of evidence we have on Nate is lukewarm this season but last night he had focus and jump right from the start and it was easy for me to tell my yute he is going to be getting some great scoring chances tonight based on the way he is involved.

He could go so either way I'll wait on him, but last night you watch him and say, damn it, this guy doesn't look one bit slowed from any concussion.

My take on him is he needs to down load the Want It CD. Some nights he's just not as involved. I think this little Jagr thing got a lot of folks attention last night

and before I move on here, the Sens are one very fun team, and if they had the 4 star players missing in this and any game they can beat anyone

love watching Neil, fortunate to sit where I do and I can just follow these guys around in the zone and he is a really fun guy to follow- really enjoy watching him play just an elite bottom 6 guy worth his weight in hockey gold

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Nose Face Killah
Fight Owens Fight

We'll re sign Horty. Definitely after last night's game. 4 goals in 4 games! Re-up him Chia!!

Nose Face Killah is offline   Reply With Quote