HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Whitney

Old
02-09-2013, 11:39 AM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Ryan Whitney

Stars fan here. I come in peace.

He hasnt been good at all this season or last. I know health has really hampered him and its unfortunate. I was a fan of him in Pitt and Anaheim and I was jealous when you guys snagged him at the deadline in 2010. We have a number of D-men and are having to scratch a serviceable one each night whether Larsen, Rome, and vs you guys Goligoski. But we are short on top pairing talent back there at the moment and could use some quality.

Can he regain his form? Would you guys deal him?

Whats everyone's take?

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
MadMax82*

Unfortunately i think injuries have made him no longer nhl caliber

MadMax82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Sethis

He's broken. This is apparently him at 100%, and his immobility is now bad enough that it would keep him out of most lineups. Great first pass and vision, a good option for the PP, but he'll need to play extremely sheltered (3rd pairing) minutes to keep playing going forward I presume.

It really sucks. I was always a huge fan and he's one of my favorite personalities the team has brought in in the last decade. It's obviously killing him and he wants to be an Oiler, but I think his injuries have turned him into a liability at this level.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:48 AM
jmco

Here is his latest oilers hockey card.
9GP, 0G 3A - 6

jmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:53 AM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax53 View Post
Unfortunately i think injuries have made him no longer nhl caliber
Pretty much this! But we hasnt any options then try to get whitney back in shape! The injury seasons and also the lock out has made him enemy with the puck, i think he can find his game sooner then later, worry though that the selfconfident is the hardest for him to get back.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:59 AM
molsonmuscle360

We've all come to realize that Whitney has to be the weakest defender on his stick in the entire league. He gets the puck taken from him with ease from almost every player in the league, he puts no weight on his stick. So without the ability to skate anymore and get out of those areas.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
He's broken. This is apparently him at 100%, and his immobility is now bad enough that it would keep him out of most lineups. Great first pass and vision, a good option for the PP, but he'll need to play extremely sheltered (3rd pairing) minutes to keep playing going forward I presume.

It really sucks. I was always a huge fan and he's one of my favorite personalities the team has brought in in the last decade. It's obviously killing him and he wants to be an Oiler, but I think his injuries have turned him into a liability at this level.
No...not really.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:02 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmco View Post
Here is his latest oilers hockey card.
9GP, 0G 3A - 6
Odd. Striking resemblence to the Stars team photo.

Very sad that his career has taken thus turn. I suppose theres no point in dealing for him now. Possibly taking a chance on him with a short-term contract if he goes to FA would be the best option.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

The guys your team are scratching....are better than Whitney.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Oiled up*

The injuries has done its toll for sure, i hope he gets it together but as of right now he has negative value to the team...

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:11 PM
JetsOilersfan

His foot is really bad obviously, he has almost no mobility. That goal Jagr got well, Whitney looked like RNH - didn't even try to take the body on Jagr, just a feeble stick swipe that any average AHLer could have avoided.

I do agree with other posters here to his personality and overall character. I do know he wasn't happy losing the 'A' but obviously in camp RK and the coaches saw how much he has lost and leaving the 'A' on his chest would be a mistake.

When Fistric gets healthy again (any word on him?) I expect Whitney to sit. Even Potter is a better option than him (and that's saying a lot as IMO Potter is a glorified AHLer too).

I can't wait for Kelfbom, Marincin, and Musil to be NHL ready (Klefbom next year is my guess). If both Klefbom and Marincin can make the jump next year I expect Whitney to be gone - he may even retire. If his skating is what it is and won't get better, I see no other avenue for him as he literally can't skate and won't take the body.

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:14 PM
jmco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
The guys your team are scratching....are better than Whitney.
Yeah no way Dallas should even consider whitney. The only team that I think would consider him is the islanders. They seem to gobble up every D man they can get their hands on. In the 2012 draft they all D men ( 7 in total). Plus Visnovsky & I think 4 waiver pickups this year.

jmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:15 PM
oilersfan11

Ryan Whitney is gone at the deadline.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I doubt it, if he keeps playing like this, he will have no value at all.

I cant imagine they re sign him tho. I bet J Schultz will be wearing #6 next year.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:33 PM
JetsOilersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
I doubt it, if he keeps playing like this, he will have no value at all.

I cant imagine they re sign him tho. I bet J Schultz will be wearing #6 next year.
Agree here - us fans know that, you think a GM, who's paid (quite handsomely as well) to monitor the goings on in the NHL would not realize what a liability he is? Whitney can't even run the PP anymore.

The only intangible on Whit is if he does his confidence back. I don't know if he can though, he looks like a totally different player now. It's too bad, he was one Dman I was counting on here to lead us to the playoffs, a healthy Whitney from three years ago paired with Schultz - scary good

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Ryan Whitney + 3rd for Karlsson? jk but yeah i think he will be gone by the deadline as well... too much of a liability for us right now.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Stars fan?

BOO THIS MAN!

Boo-Hiss!
I don't even care who you are related to!

Honestly, I think someone will give him another chance, he just hasn't adjusted to the fact he can't skate his way out of trouble with the puck.

As Whitney has admitted his issues are mental as in he needs to get over the mental barrier on what he can and can't do. I really think either he figures out playing hockey is going to be painful but doable, or he will be end up retireing within 3 years.

If Steve Staios gets a warm body and a 3rd, I expect Whitney to get a late 2nd at the deadline.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:51 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Stars fan?

BOO THIS MAN!

Boo-Hiss!
I don't even care who you are related to!

Honestly, I think someone will give him another chance, he just hasn't adjusted to the fact he can't skate his way out of trouble with the puck.

As Whitney has admitted his issues are mental as in he needs to get over the mental barrier on what he can and can't do. I really think either he figures out playing hockey is going to be painful but doable, or he will be end up retireing within 3 years.

If Steve Staios gets a warm body and a 3rd, I expect Whitney to get a late 2nd at the deadline.
Stars fan in your own backyard! Im related to one of my sisters and shes a Stars fan too.

I suspect someone makes him a project and either trades a 2nd or 3rd for him, or gives him a one year contract in the summer.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Stars fan in your own backyard! Im related to one of my sisters and shes a Stars fan too.

I suspect someone makes him a project and either trades a 2nd or 3rd for him, or gives him a one year contract in the summer.
Agreed. Any dman that's still in his 20s (barely) and has had a 59 point season is going to attract a contract from someone

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

I'll take a 7th round pick for Whitney right now, at least the 7th round pick wouldn't have a negative impact when it's on the ice.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Tazzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post

Sorry to nitpick, but shouldn't you be related to all of your sisters?

Tazzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Lessy

Tough to win in this league when you're sending out Whitney and Potter on a regular basis to defend.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
I'll take a 7th round pick for Whitney right now, at least the 7th round pick wouldn't have a negative impact when it's on the ice.
I'm in this camp too. If Whitney is traded for anything the Oilers win tha trade.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:42 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy13 View Post
Sorry to nitpick, but shouldn't you be related to all of your sisters?
Ya. But the other is an oiler fan. Alli is a Stars fan so Im not ashamed of her haha. I kid.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Joey Moss

Give us Fiddler! Please?

Or a 7th round pick would do.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote