HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Philadelphia (Briere)

Old
03-01-2013, 12:52 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
If there isnt a limited market then shop him to other teams fans and see if you can get a better return.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:55 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Maybe Anson.
Reasonably sure he was talking about Gagne to the Flyers for a 4th round pick. He probably misspoke and put down the name of another former Flyers "sniper" Jeff Carter.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
There doesn't seem to be a limited market because of the overlap of the new CBA salary cap. Amnesty prevents it from carrying forward.

So Briere's salary is not as bad this year as it will be next year making the number of teams that have the room for him greater. Amnesty takes care of the rest.

In that regard, the market is not nearly as limited as you believe.

Now lets talk about the limited market for Briere:
-In this crazy year, how many teams are even sellers? There's a lot of teams who will likely hold out because of this.
-How many PPG playoff performers are ever on the trade deadline market? Maybe one if teams are lucky. This year its most likely Briere.

Briere comes in and is put at center, he's arguably your highest producing forward IMMEDIATELY. That should tell you a lot about your needs for the playoffs and going forward. With a number of players coming off the books too, he could be extremely helpful long-term as well as your team looks to compete for the upcoming years.

Let me be completely honest with you. With your scoring forwards now, you won't it very far in the playoffs. A true performer like Briere only helps. Knowing that there are a number of teams interested, what do you think it will take to keep him away from other teams that want that same performance? Don't tell me what you think he's worth; tell me what you think he's worth to beat out the other teams that also want him.

We're not talking Paul Gaustad here...
You honestly are clueless when it comes to the Blues. There is no point in us continuing this as you really have no clue about the Blues forwards with that statement.

If we continue this I will get an infraction. So I am done here.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:04 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Briere is worth a late 1st + a middling defensive prospect. You're not getting a legit top-4 defensive prospect and a 1st for him. That's unrealistic.

What is also unrealistic is expecting Briere to be dumb enough to waive his NMC without being assured that he'll be getting the same NMC protection from the next team. If Briere thinks there's even a 1% chance he ends up on some bottom of the league team like the NYI or FLA for the next 2 seasons, after a team like Boston uses him for a playoff run and then dumps him, then Danny isn't waiving in the first place.

Briere stands to make more $$$ over the next 2 seasons if he's bought out this summer.
Briere gets to choose his destination if he is bought out this summer.

The only way that Briere chooses to waive is if the acquiring team agrees for the NMC to carry over. That way, Briere is either guaranteed to play for a contender over the next few years, or he gets bought out, gets his payday and gets to choose his destination.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I would expect and accept a 2nd and an okay to good prospect. I don't know if this is really comparable but in 2008 the Flyers traded Alexandre Picard and a 2nd to Tampa for Vinny Prospal shortly after he turned 32. Prospal however, was kind of a rental as I believe he worked out some arrangement to be sent back to Tampa. I'm not sure when that arrangement to be sent back was made though, so I'm not sure it is fair to call the transaction a rental.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=4403

edit- Make that a pretty good prospect.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 03-01-2013 at 02:02 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Briere at the VERY least is worth a 1st based on his playoff pedigree alone. ****, Gaustad got a 1st.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:19 PM
FanHabtic

Looks luke Briere has stated that he has no desire to waive his NTC (on TSN)

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
This . He won't be moved.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
He doesn't want to move far from his kids.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:29 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a limited market because of the overlap of the new CBA salary cap. Amnesty prevents it from carrying forward.

So Briere's salary is not as bad this year as it will be next year making the number of teams that have the room for him greater. Amnesty takes care of the rest.

-In this crazy year, how many teams are even sellers? There's a lot of teams who will likely hold out because of this.
-How many PPG playoff performers are ever on the trade deadline market? Maybe one if teams are lucky. This year its most likely Briere.

Briere comes in and is put at center, he's arguably your highest producing forward IMMEDIATELY. That should tell you a lot about your needs for the playoffs and going forward. With a number of players coming off the books too, he could be extremely helpful long-term as well as your team looks to compete for the upcoming years.

Let me be completely honest with you. With your scoring forwards now, you won't it very far in the playoffs. A true performer like Briere only helps. Knowing that there are a number of teams interested, what do you think it will take to keep him away from other teams that want that same performance? Don't tell me what you think he's worth; tell me what you think he's worth to beat out the other teams that also want him.

You really don't know much about the Blues. "A number of players coming off the books," eh? Thanks for the condescension from your bottom half of the league team with the horrendous D and goaltending.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:37 PM
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Maybe he won't - but pretty much every player who has ever had a NTC has said publicly he won't waive it. Why lose the leverage to dictate terms?

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:38 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
You really don't know much about the Blues. "A number of players coming off the books," eh? Thanks for the condescension from your bottom half of the league team with the horrendous D and goaltending.
I'm wondering how far all those scoring forwards got the Flyers last playoffs. What? They didn't make it any further than the Blues did last season? Now I'm just confused.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Briere is worth a late 1st + a middling defensive prospect. You're not getting a legit top-4 defensive prospect and a 1st for him. That's unrealistic.
Yep, Briere is a good player and all, but people are being pretty unrealistic.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Briere at the VERY least is worth a 1st based on his playoff pedigree alone. ****, Gaustad got a 1st.
Comparing slightly desperate management to every situation is also not going to work. Nashville thought they had a lot in place and were going to go deep.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:

The only significant player coming off the books is McDonald, everyone else is still an RFA.

And the Blues like to have size and defensive ability down the middle, Briere has hardly either of those, so naturally he would be a winger on our team, which we are loaded with.

There's no way I'm giving up a first and Cole for Briere. Cole has actually been pretty decent this year, and our depth on the left side is weak.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
The only significant player coming off the books is McDonald, everyone else is still an RFA.

And the Blues like to have size and defensive ability down the middle, Briere has hardly either of those, so naturally he would be a winger on our team, which we are loaded with.

There's no way I'm giving up a first and Cole for Briere. Cole has actually been pretty decent this year, and our depth on the left side is weak.
The only issue I have is what I bolded. If that is true, why did St.Louis inquire about Briere then? Philly didn't go to them...they went to Philly. So obviously they think Briere could help them...or they think that they have a spot for him to play.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
A first in this years draft? I doubt it. I doubt we see more than 1 or two firsts moved.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:35 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
The only issue I have is what I bolded. If that is true, why did St.Louis inquire about Briere then? Philly didn't go to them...they went to Philly. So obviously they think Briere could help them...or they think that they have a spot for him to play.
Left wing. Mid term replacement for Andy McDonald. Just a theory.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:46 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
He doesn't want to move far from his kids.
St Louis is a lot closer to Philly than Germany.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

obviously briere would be a fill-in at center until steen came back. then he'd play LW with steen and Tarasenko when he comes back. then tarasenko will score a hattrick in like ever game, realistic expectations? i think so... lol

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:04 PM
BLUESFAN1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Yep, Briere is a good player and all, but people are being pretty unrealistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
It is going to be interesting to see what the Flyers get from whichever team trades for him. Some believe he is worth a 1st pick & more, while others think he is worth a whole lot less. Posters on here are going to feel very good, or very bad about what the Flyers receive for him. I can barely wait to see all the comments about that after the trade goes down.

BLUESFAN1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
And that worked out HORRIBLY for Nashville. Same with Atlanta and Keith Tkachuk.

You don't follow a horrible blue print.

Briere is worth a 2nd in 2013 and a 3rd in 2014. His playoff performance will decline at some point and it could be this year. We aren't going to risk that he'll find a couple of extra gears and become a PPG in the playoffs when he has been average in the regular season....all while taking on his enormous cap hit. That's crazy.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:10 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
We aren't going to risk that he'll find a couple of extra gears and become a PPG in the playoffs when he has been average in the regular season....all while taking on his enormous cap hit. That's crazy.
We have said that for 3 years now, and every year he has proven us wrong.

And why would STL be worried about his cap hit, you have PLENTY of room to spare.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
And that worked out HORRIBLY for Nashville. Same with Atlanta and Keith Tkachuk.

You don't follow a horrible blue print.

Briere is worth a 2nd in 2013 and a 3rd in 2014. His playoff performance will decline at some point and it could be this year. We aren't going to risk that he'll find a couple of extra gears and become a PPG in the playoffs when he has been average in the regular season....all while taking on his enormous cap hit. That's crazy.
That package got Nicklas Grossmann last year for the Flyers.

Think about that.

He's definitely valued at a 1st.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:30 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
We have said that for 3 years now, and every year he has proven us wrong.

And why would STL be worried about his cap hit, you have PLENTY of room to spare.
Because the last ownership was terrible and we have very little to no money to spend. Hopefully in a year or two we can spend some more money.

The Blues are a budget team now and in the near future. Hopefully we can start spending a lot more to the point where we are only 5-10 million under the cap.

People really think Briere is worth Cole and a 1st rounder?

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote