HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Philadelphia (Briere)

Old
03-02-2013, 11:30 PM
diehardbluesfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
We have said that for 3 years now, and every year he has proven us wrong.

And why would STL be worried about his cap hit, you have PLENTY of room to spare.
Because the last ownership was terrible and we have very little to no money to spend. Hopefully in a year or two we can spend some more money.

The Blues are a budget team now and in the near future. Hopefully we can start spending a lot more to the point where we are only 5-10 million under the cap.

People really think Briere is worth Cole and a 1st rounder?

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:33 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
Because the last ownership was terrible and we have very little to no money to spend. Hopefully in a year or two we can spend some more money.

The Blues are a budget team now and in the near future. Hopefully we can start spending a lot more to the point where we are only 5-10 million under the cap.

You guys DO realize that cap hit and salary are totally different right?

Briere's cap hit over those 2 remaining years is 13m, his paid salary is 5m, pretty affordable.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:36 PM
the lers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
And that worked out HORRIBLY for Nashville. Same with Atlanta and Keith Tkachuk.

You don't follow a horrible blue print.

Briere is worth a 2nd in 2013 and a 3rd in 2014. His playoff performance will decline at some point and it could be this year. We aren't going to risk that he'll find a couple of extra gears and become a PPG in the playoffs when he has been average in the regular season....all while taking on his enormous cap hit. That's crazy.
He's been finding those extra gears in the playoffs his whole career. He's not "becoming a ppg player" come playoffs, he has been a ppg player in over 100 career playoff games

the lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Gert B Frobe

Daniel Briere Quote: "yeah I signed a NTC but sure - go ahead and ship me off on the next flight to Winnipeg or somewhere simlarly awful - I'll find somebody to get my kids on the bus tomorrow..."

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:39 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Someone made a good point on the Flyer board. Briere didn't have any problem going to play in Germany for months while his kids stayed in Philly to play hockey, what difference would two months in St. Louis or Boston make? He'd be closer.

I realize Briere doesn't want to waive, but realistically the Flyers are going to have to buy him out to get under the cap next year. And it would be in his best interest to get bought out (only $5M owing on his contract for the next two years, cap hit $6.5M).

Hypothetical: Homer to Danny B: I have to buy you out to make the cap, so even though you like Philly, you aren't playing here next year. I've got a deal for a decent prospect in place with Team X, who have agreed THEY will buy you out so you can become a UFA and maybe even re-sign with us (is that allowable under the CBA?).

This is realistic if it's Boston. They won't have the cap space to keep him, but they could use him. St. Louis might want him, but why would he play for $2.5M avg for the next two years when he could sign for more than that as a UFA if he gets bought out?
I agree, he's not going to waive....I'm just playing along for fun. Buyout is WAY better for him.

Theoretically, what you say is "legal" as a gentleman's agreement, there won't be any documented conditions on a trade where they have to buy him out ect...a GM could certainly give his "word" that they would do this. And, I think yes he could resign in Philly if he wanted.

Last edited by achdumeingute: 03-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 12:16 AM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Daniel Briere Quote: "yeah I signed a NTC but sure - go ahead and ship me off on the next flight to Winnipeg or somewhere simlarly awful - I'll find somebody to get my kids on the bus tomorrow..."
He could probably ask the same person who did it while he was in Germany

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lers View Post
He's been finding those extra gears in the playoffs his whole career. He's not "becoming a ppg player" come playoffs, he has been a ppg player in over 100 career playoff games
53 points in 75 games in 09-10 then 30 points in 23 games in the playoffs.

49 points in 70 games last year then 13 points in 11 games in the playoffs.

He all of the sudden became a PPG player in the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years. I'm not going to expect that to happen at age 35. And it is clear that one of the major reasons to give up a 1st for him is that he MIGHT be a great player this year in the playoffs after only a decent regular season.

Not smart.

Quote:
That package got Nicklas Grossmann last year for the Flyers.

Think about that.
I actually thought about that when I made the post.

2 early-mid round picks for a solid #4-5 d-man that was only 27 years old. Makes sense.

That also makes sense for a declining 35 year old center that was moved to the wing and has a cap hit of 6.5 million for the next two years and doesn't play strong defense.

Maybe we have cap room but find other teams that do and get them to give you a 1st round pick. My guess is that those teams with cap space will hold picks in the top 20 and have very little interest in giving up a quality pick for a declining 35 year old.

I'm also guessing that if teams are giving up a 1st round pick, they'd rather get a younger player than Briere.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Let's just look at teams that might have interest in giving up a 1st round pick for Briere.

-Don't have cap space over next 2 years:
Vancouver, Minnesota, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Rangers(dont even have a 1st), Tampa Bay, San Jose

-Not a contender, zero interest:
Columbus, Florida, Washington, Calgary, Islanders, Colorado, Buffalo, Edmonton

-Just zero interest:
Los Angeles(just traded a top 9 forward, don't even have a first round pick), Nashville(won't pull Gaustad part 2), Toronto(loaded at forward), New Jersey(will have to forfeit either 13 or 14 1st rounder, I doubt they want to lose 2 first rounders in a row), Detroit(they're looking for D, not forwards), Dallas(ditto Detroit), Montreal(up and coming team, won't hamstring themselves without another terrible cap hit and small forward)

That leaves:
-St. Louis, Boston, Carolina, Winnipeg, Phoenix, Ottawa, Anaheim

I think your best bet out of that group is Phoenix. They need a forward, Briere was a Coyote for awhile, he has a large cap hit but is cheap for what he provides. Can Phoenix add ANY money, though?

Boston is your second best bet. They were said to be sniffing around the situation and will have a low enough 1st round pick.

Winnipeg may not be a real contender.

Anaheim may have zero money after re-signing Getzlaf.

Ottawa is without a lot of top talent for the year. Doesn't make sense to think Briere will save them.

Carolina is supposedly looking for a d-man but perhaps they'll fit a vet forward in the mix.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:34 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Dude...you are reaching like crazy. Toronto, loaded at forward?? Is this real life?

Also, Briere is absurdly cheap salary-wise, and he has great value for a team like Phx.

I don't think Briere will land a 1st and a top prospect, but he certainly would land more than a 2nd and a 3rd.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:06 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post

Not even close.

I liked what Halak Ness Monster said myself : Briere is worth a 2nd in 2013 and a 3rd in 2014.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:47 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I agree, he's not going to waive....I'm just playing along for fun. Buyout is WAY better for him.

Theoretically, what you say is "legal" as a gentleman's agreement, there won't be any documented conditions on a trade where they have to buy him out ect...a GM could certainly give his "word" that they would do this. And, I think yes he could resign in Philly if he wanted.
This gentlemans agreement would really affect his value. You would then be using him as a rental and buying him out. No gm is going want to get into that mess, best he sticks around and you figure out another way to reduce that cap. He does not make sense to the Blues to begin with and he doesn't want to move...

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Psuhockey

Just about everyone ends up waving their NMC clause in the end, except if they play for Toronto, as long as it is to a team they like. The Flyers have a reputation of taking care of their former players post retirement with jobs in the organization. If he truly wants to stay in New Jersey long term, why would he burn that bridge for two more playing years as opposed to a career after he retires.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
This gentlemans agreement would really affect his value. You would then be using him as a rental and buying him out. No gm is going want to get into that mess, best he sticks around and you figure out another way to reduce that cap. He does not make sense to the Blues to begin with and he doesn't want to move...
Yes, I don't think something that the Blues would want to do.

But a Boston, maybe.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturioux View Post
Dude...you are reaching like crazy. Toronto, loaded at forward?? Is this real life?
So I got one team wrong? Is that it? And I'm reaching like crazy?

What I know is that Toronto is looking to get tougher IF they are looking for a forward. Not take on a 5'10", declining, 35 year old one. Scratch Briere from their list.

BTW Toronto has: Kessell, Kadri, JVR, Kulemin, Bozak, Lupul, Frattin, Grabovski, McClement, and McArthur all with top 9 potential.

So I'm gonna stick with them being pretty loaded at forward. I doubt they'd be interested in giving up a 1st for a 35 year old winger. What they need, if anything, is a big center.

Quote:
Also, Briere is absurdly cheap salary-wise, and he has great value for a team like Phx.
Hence why I said Phoenix is your best bet to get a 1st.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturioux View Post

I don't think Briere will land a 1st and a top prospect, but he certainly would land more than a 2nd and a 3rd.
We have 8 forwards with 10-points or more... Not necessarily loaded but I don't believe there are many other teams that can boast that claim.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:50 PM
BLUESFAN1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Not even close.

I liked what Halak Ness Monster said myself : Briere is worth a 2nd in 2013 and a 3rd in 2014.
Based on the interview that Doug Armstrong just did on Fox Sports Midwest, the Blues may not have a spot for Briere at any cost. Jason Arnott has been practicing with the team, and is on the 5 game trip to the west coast. Armstrong says that Jason will be practicing with the team every day, while Armstrong is talking to Arnott's brother, who is his agent about a possible contract. He said Arnott has a desire to be playing, and if all goes they may have something worked out near/by the end of the road trip.

BLUESFAN1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:58 PM
feedingschennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
He could probably ask the same person who did it while he was in Germany
An early retirement wouldn't surprise me, and I don't see the rest of the family moving with him should he be traded.

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:00 PM
BLUESFAN1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
If that is true, why did St.Louis inquire about Briere then? Philly didn't go to them...they went to Philly. So obviously they think Briere could help them...or they think that they have a spot for him to play.
How exactly do you know that it wasn't Holmgren/Flyers that approached the Blues because of the cap space issue the Flyers face? The Blues have $19.599 mil in cap space, & this could be a similar situation to the Bruins passing off Tim Thomas' cap space.

The Bruins acquired a conditional second-round pick in 2014 or '15 in that deal.

Last edited by BLUESFAN1961: 03-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.
BLUESFAN1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
St Louis is a lot closer to Philly than Germany.
You would think that now wouldn't you?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Snipsnap12

To everyone saying briere can't fetch a first remember Paul gaustad was acquired with a first round pick... Nothing more to say.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
To everyone saying briere can't fetch a first remember Paul gaustad was acquired with a first round pick... Nothing more to say.
Since when does an anomaly translate to every other scenario?

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Since when does an anomaly translate to every other scenario?
Did I say it's a forgone conclusion? GMs get desperate and greedy when they think they are close, a team giving up a first for briere wouldn't be an anomaly.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUESFAN1961 View Post
How exactly do you know that it wasn't Holmgren/Flyers that approached the Blues because of the cap space issue the Flyers face?

Two reasons: 1) The Flyers are good on the cap with LTIR for now, they just can't add anything significant in a trade without sending back salary;

2) Holmgren is a little crazy, but he wouldn't start talking a deal with St. Louis BEFORE talking to Briere about where he'd be willing to go. He wouldn't disrespect and infuriate him like that, and Briere could nix any deal anyway.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Brian McGee

I'm not sure how anyone can say if Briere is worth a 1st or not. Some guys that people might thing won't return a 1st end up doing so. Other guys that people think might return a 1st have far less value. It's really tough to tell.

As a Flyers fan, I wouldn't deal Briere though unless I got a 1st in return. The only caveat to that would be if you knew the Flyers were going to buy him out in the summer. At that point you take what you can get and move on. I don't think they intend to do that though.

Maybe he's only worth a 2nd + 3rd to the Blues, but I don't think that would be the winning offer. I think the Flyers hold out for a 1st since there appear multiple teams interested. Maybe it's just a case of the Blues and Flyers not being a good fit for a deal involving Briere. The Blues appear to be the ones that initiated this conversation from people I've talked to though. Maybe they are more interested than fans?

Brian McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGee View Post
I'm not sure how anyone can say if Briere is worth a 1st or not. Some guys that people might thing won't return a 1st end up doing so. Other guys that people think might return a 1st have far less value. It's really tough to tell.

As a Flyers fan, I wouldn't deal Briere though unless I got a 1st in return. The only caveat to that would be if you knew the Flyers were going to buy him out in the summer. At that point you take what you can get and move on. I don't think they intend to do that though.

Maybe he's only worth a 2nd + 3rd to the Blues, but I don't think that would be the winning offer. I think the Flyers hold out for a 1st since there appear multiple teams interested. Maybe it's just a case of the Blues and Flyers not being a good fit for a deal involving Briere. The Blues appear to be the ones that initiated this conversation from people I've talked to though. Maybe they are more interested than fans?
I agree with you, and think they should get some value back...... But, the other thing of "just getting rid of him" is that then the flyers will have the money to give Corey perry, because its basically a foregone conclusion they go after him