HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

St. Louis - Philadelphia (Briere)

Old
02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
intangible

vCash: 500
I feel Briere would be that missing piece we need for Tarasenko to really grow. He can't grow without a playmaking center of Briere's calibre. He needs that star (or former Star) who can be creative with passing and get the puck where Tarasenko is. Can't do that with Backes or Berglund.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
That is just non sense to me. Maybe i can see an argument due to his next contract but reall, a first over a two time 28 goal scorer?
It's all relative. Stewart is worth more than a 1st, definitely.

Honestly though, we need defense. Stewart does nothing for us as our 8th or 9th forward. We have guys we can put in there, that will do just fine with limited ice time. Stewart battling for ice time helps us very little if not not at all.

So yeah, I'd rather have the 1st to use to trade or draft defensemen.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

Briere would fit right into the Blues as their second line center next year for 3 million instead of trying to resign Mcdonald at a higher price. He gives you a proven veteran performer in the playoffs. Also his cap hit of 6.5 also shows fans that they are willing to start spending more towards the cap in order to better their team. Briere makes sense to all the budget teams in the NHL because his cap hit+salary.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
Great, and I agree. So tell people on the boards to stop saying Petro is winning the Norris this year!
I think you'll find most people saying that are not Blues fans. Most of us Blues fans have not been overly happy with Petro's play.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It's all relative. Stewart is worth more than a 1st, definitely.

Honestly though, we need defense. Stewart does nothing for us as our 8th or 9th forward. We have guys we can put in there, that will do just fine with limited ice time. Stewart battling for ice time helps us very little if not not at all.

So yeah, I'd rather have the 1st to use to trade or draft defensemen.
Stewart would be pretty badass for us. I could see him becoming one of the best power forwards in the league on the flyers. Imagine a line of Hartnell Giroux and Stewart? Or Stewart with schenn? Those two would run people over and be almost unstoppable down low.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Well apparently their GM does so what are we talking about here. Its a definite realistic fit.
I'm not saying it's unrealistic or that the Blues don't have interest, I'm just saying that it's not really a very good fit for him. He's small, has no interest in playing defense, and does't play physical. He would bring a skill element to the table that the Blues don't really have much of right now but if I were Hitchcock I'd probably want someone that fit my system a little better.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
He has said he wont waive his NTC so whats this thread about??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416949
NTC or not - when the GM sits across his desk from you and says "we have an offer for you that we want to take - thanks for your service" nobody says no. It doesn't happen. When has a player ever said "no you can't trade me I won't go"?

Has it?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I'm not saying it's unrealistic or that the Blues don't have interest, I'm just saying that it's not really a very good fit for him. He's small, has no interest in playing defense, and does't play physical. He would bring a skill element to the table that the Blues don't really have much of right now but if I were Hitchcock I'd probably want someone that fit my system a little better.
I honestly think hes perfect for their third line. People are acting like the "west" is so amazing with their "huge" centers. Ive seen briere tear apart teams with centers like Bergeron/Bolland(in cup finals 12 points in 6 games) going head to head against him in the playoffs. There is literally no stopping this guy come april.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
Great, and I agree. So tell people on the boards to stop saying Petro is winning the Norris this year!
Those are not Blues fans or at least not the knowledgeable Blues fans. Petro hasn't been bad, but he's played more aggressive and lost the balance that he had last season.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Boromir Jagr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
NTC or not - when the GM sits across his desk from you and says "we have an offer for you that we want to take - thanks for your service" nobody says no. It doesn't happen. When has a player ever said "no you can't trade me I won't go"?
Seriously? Teams never win in those situations. Look at Rick Nash over the summer, Howson came out after the trade and said he was essentially forced to deal with one team.

Boromir Jagr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:58 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
I honestly think hes perfect for their third line. People are acting like the "west" is so amazing with their "huge" centers. Ive seen briere tear apart teams with centers like Bergeron/Bolland(in cup finals 12 points in 6 games) going head to head against him in the playoffs. There is literally no stopping this guy come april.
I'm not doubting Briere's ability to actually perform in the West, I think he'd be a great fit for Chicago or Detroit. But St. Louis and Hitchcock just seem like the opposite of the kind of system where he would be best utilized.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
WeekendAtBernies

To
Wayne Simmonds
Danny Briere
Scott Laughton
Andrej Meszaros

To
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jordan Schmaltz

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
To
Wayne Simmonds
Danny Briere
Scott Laughton
Andrej Meszaros

To
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jordan Schmaltz
Wow, we'd be pretty weak at forward after this but I'd do it. Id rather get Jaden Schwartz coming back as a forward, can he play wing? And do u guys value him much higher than Schmaltz? Im not sure how blues fan will feel about this

Old
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
To
Wayne Simmonds
Danny Briere
Scott Laughton
Andrej Meszaros

To
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jordan Schmaltz
The Blues have depth on wing. The Blues have no depth on right defense after our starting 3. So that trade while good value just makes the Blues a worse team.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
To
Wayne Simmonds
Danny Briere
Scott Laughton
Andrej Meszaros

To
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jordan Schmaltz
That's pretty tough on the Flyers.

Even if you take Briere out, it is an overpayment, isn't it?

Let's say, for the moment, that Laughton and Schmaltz is a wash (seems a bit of a stretch--I'd think Laughton has at least a bit more value).

Simmonds + Mezsaros (when healthy) > Shattenkirk, particularly given Simmonds' contract.

EDIT: Taking the whole deal as proposed, I don't think it is a stretch to suggest that Briere returns a prospect of Schmaltz's value, which leaves Simmonds + Meszaros + Laughton for Shattenkirk....

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
To
Wayne Simmonds
Danny Briere
Scott Laughton
Andrej Meszaros

To
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jordan Schmaltz
Value isnt bad at all and I love Simmonds, but the Blues still wouldnt do this. As Hooligan stated we need Shattenkirk much more than we need more wingers, we have too many wingers already.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Value isnt bad at all and I love Simmonds, but the Blues still wouldnt do this. As Hooligan stated we need Shattenkirk much more than we need more wingers, we have too many wingers already.
Fair enough, I was just trying to get the value close. Probably a slight overpayment from the Flyers, but I realize that's what it would take to land Shattenkirk. I have tremendous respect for his value / importance to your team. Ditto Pietrangelo.

I also like it from a Flyers POV because while we are giving up a lot of potentially valuable assets, the core pieces remain intact. Wayne Simmonds is the only real "core" player that we lose.

Trading Briere frees up 6.5M to go get a better/comparable winger this offseason to replace him.

And after acquiring a defenseman of Shattenkirk's ability, our defense would be in pretty decent shape, meaning we have no need to trade Couturier in a package for a #1D, hence we'd be locked into Giroux-Schenn-Couturier down the middle for years to come, meaning that we'd hardly feel the loss of Laughton.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

And after acquiring a defenseman of Shattenkirk's ability, our defense would be in pretty decent shape, meaning we have no need to trade Couturier in a package for a #1D, hence we'd be locked into Giroux-Schenn-Couturier down the middle for years to come, meaning that we'd hardly feel the loss of Laughton.
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
______ - Schenn - ______
______ - Couturier - Read

Taking Laughton and Simmonds out creates a bunch of holes long-term that can't simply be solved with a bit of UFA money, IMO.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The whole point was that Briere would cost significant assets to someone else. If Boston just buys him out in the offseason, then they wouldn't give up significant assets for him.
How would that be any different than acquiring a rental player?
The cost appears to be a prospect & pick. Seems like Boston could afford to give that up (would be about the same for a UFA); and the buyout cost would be minimal as Briere's actual salary over the next two years totals 5 million.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
How would that be any different than acquiring a rental player?
The cost appears to be a prospect & pick. Seems like Boston could afford to give that up (would be about the same for a UFA); and the buyout cost would be minimal as Briere's actual salary over the next two years totals 5 million.
Is Boston willing to trade their first? Blues fans that are showing interest in Briere are fine with prospect and a pick as long as the pick is not a first.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Is Boston willing to trade their first? Blues fans that are showing interest in Briere are fine with prospect and a pick as long as the pick is not a first.
I would think yes, but who knows!

As a fan, I'd say a prospect and a 1st would work. A few ideas we've seen are Krug, Cross, or Bartkowski and a 1st round pick.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
sh724

Quote:
To
Wayne Simmonds
Danny Briere
Scott Laughton
Andrej Meszaros

To
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jordan Schmaltz
I would love to have Simmonds on the Blues, him and Stewart are best friends and played together during the lockout. But no way do the Blues make this trade because it would leave ot big of a whole on defense. If the Blues could some how replace Shattenkirk then they should take this trade if it was offered.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Lets not forget that Army specifically targeted Shattenkirk and not Stewart in the Johnson trade. That trade is what Armstrong put his name on, and Shattenkirk has only improved, and Armstrong has received an extension. He is not being moved.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Once Briere waves his NMC to go to, let's say Boston, is his NMC void from that point on? Could they trade for him, use him in the playoffs and then trade him in the offseason to someone like Phoenix or NYI? I could see Boston doing something like that. He'd be of interest to some cap floor teams in the offseason, if his NMC is no longer in the way.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
______ - Schenn - ______
______ - Couturier - Read

Taking Laughton and Simmonds out creates a bunch of holes long-term that can't simply be solved with a bit of UFA money, IMO.
I disagree. I think those holes can be solved fairly easily. Simon Gagne slots in as the 3rd line LW next to Couturier, creating an excellent 2-way/shutdown line of Gagne-Couturier-Read.

Then you use Briere's $$$ to sign an elite winger (Perry), but obviously you can't be certain he's willing to come here, so there are backup plans (Iginla, Semin, and to a lesser extent Clarkson, Horton, Clowe, Ryder, etc).

Then you're left with one spot to fill on your 2nd line, and you can easily go back to the free agent well once more.

You're basically left with 1 more hole (Simmonds) than if you just traded Briere by himself. That's fixable.