HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
I used to like Merrill a whole lot. Wished we should have considered him in his draft year....I know...just one game...but he was mediocre today.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Protest the Hero

Hopefully we hear within the next few days whether Bennett decides to stay another year or not.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Hopefully we hear within the next few days whether Bennett decides to stay another year or not.
If he chooses to leave, he can become a FA

Old
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I caught the 2nd and 3rd period and ya, was not too impressed either. Definitely think he should return to Michigan next year as a senior.

Notre Dame is a heck of an opponent, that team is just so good in all zones.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:21 PM
ChoseLa

I don't see guys like Bennet going the FA route, it's not like teams are all waiting to sign him. It's a big gamble for him.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I caught the 2nd and 3rd period and ya, was not too impressed either. Definitely think he should return to Michigan next year as a senior.

Notre Dame is a heck of an opponent, that team is just so good in all zones.
My 2 NCAA favorites meeting for a championship, I can't ask for nothing more really. But would have wished our prospect would have move forward. ND was really dedicating themselves in their defensive work. It might not be too easy to beat them from now on and I'm really fine with that. Still hope North Dakota wins them all, if not...I'll go with the other ND for a surprise win. Won't probably happen, despite his 3rd period miracles, I,m not necessarily a Summerhays fan but we never know.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Anyone tell me how Jeff Costello has looked for Notre Dame? He's an Ottawa prospect, just wondering because he's a former teammate.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Anyone tell me how Jeff Costello has looked for Notre Dame? He's an Ottawa prospect, just wondering because he's a former teammate.
Well, speedy little fighter that never stops working. I think you notice him hard for his hardwork. Not sure he'll have what it takes to rack those points in the higher levels. His speed might make him a pro though. Good game by him today.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well, speedy little fighter that never stops working. I think you notice him hard for his hardwork. Not sure he'll have what it takes to rack those points in the higher levels. His speed might make him a pro though. Good game by him today.
Thanks. I know he's a bit on the small side (and diabetic) but he seems to have gotten pretty tough. Weird, in a hockey scene like Milwaukee he was so head and shoulders above everyone that it's hard to conceive of him as a grinder. Though I also haven't seen him play since he was at Cedar Rapids a few years back.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Thanks. I know he's a bit on the small side (and diabetic) but he seems to have gotten pretty tough. Weird, in a hockey scene like Milwaukee he was so head and shoulders above everyone that it's hard to conceive of him as a grinder. Though I also haven't seen him play since he was at Cedar Rapids a few years back.
Well quite a few grinders in today's NHL happened once to be a top scorer on their team and often in their league. Look at Tom Pyatt's record for example. Colby Armstrong, Gabriel Dumont being the only 50 goal scorer in 09-10 etc.

You look at him and is quite clear that he once dominated his league. Thing is often those guys, happened to have peaker earlier than the others. Or have the necessary qualities to succeed in easier leagues and not on the tougher ones. And then comes the character of some players who don't want to make the sacrifices and so on....Reason why being a scout is so damn hard.

Though as you know already...he might do wonders. We never know. He is at a PPG as a junior. I just don't expect it buy hey...wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Chet-Nick

Danny Kristo is amongst the ten finalists for the Hobey Baker Award (NCAA MVP). The final three will be announced April 3rd and the winner on the 12th.

In a way, I hope Kristo doesn't win. Outside of a handful of players. Most of these guys became career minor leaguers or ended up in Europe.

Have a look > http://www.hobeybakeraward.com/page/...4-past-winners

Hopefully it's a matter of time before Kristo signs with the Canadiens. Therefore, he can get a few games in with the Bulldogs (e.g. Brady Vail - Windsor).

Old
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
Danny Kristo is amongst the ten finalists for the Hobey Baker Award (NCAA MVP). The final three will be announced April 3rd and the winner on the 12th.

In a way, I hope Kristo doesn't win. Outside of a handful of players. Most of these guys became career minor leaguers or ended up in Europe.

Have a look > http://www.hobeybakeraward.com/page/...4-past-winners

Hopefully it's a matter of time before Kristo signs with the Canadiens. Therefore, he can get a few games in with the Bulldogs (e.g. Brady Vail - Windsor).
No fear of the MVP getting the Hopey Faker Award it is always given to the player in which team's sponsor has the most pull.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Well quite a few grinders in today's NHL happened once to be a top scorer on their team and often in their league. Look at Tom Pyatt's record for example. Colby Armstrong, Gabriel Dumont being the only 50 goal scorer in 09-10 etc.

You look at him and is quite clear that he once dominated his league. Thing is often those guys, happened to have peaker earlier than the others. Or have the necessary qualities to succeed in easier leagues and not on the tougher ones. And then comes the character of some players who don't want to make the sacrifices and so on....Reason why being a scout is so damn hard.

Though as you know already...he might do wonders. We never know. He is at a PPG as a junior. I just don't expect it buy hey...wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.
For sure, I didn't mean that I didn't see how he could be a grinder. It's just that I was a goalie and he was just such an offensive phenom when we were kids- it kind of ends up putting the pure offensive threats into perspective.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
That

Didier and the University of Denver will face New Hampshire on Friday in the NCAA's.

Unsurprisingly, Kristo and MacMillan will face Niagara at the NCAA's on Friday at 5:30 PM.

Last edited by That: 03-24-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Minny is gonna beat them anyway.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Too bad for Bennett and Michigan, that was a heck of a run they went on after Bennett returned from injury. They likely just ran out of gas as they didn't look very good on the whole and Notre Dame was taking it to them, to their credit they hung in there pretty good. Just remember that at one point in the season Michigan was actually in last place in the CCHA and as of a few weeks ago they weren't ranked in the top 30.

Hopefully Bennett doesn't opt out, returning to Michigan would be good for us since Hamilton is likely going to be very crowded on the blueline again. But as someone that has watched him all year, he's easily ready to turn pro imo as he's been on the top pairing the past 2 seasons.

Wrote about the Frozen Four's,

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=199

Old
03-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Too bad for Bennett and Michigan, that was a heck of a run they went on after Bennett returned from injury. They likely just ran out of gas as they didn't look very good on the whole and Notre Dame was taking it to them, to their credit they hung in there pretty good. Just remember that at one point in the season Michigan was actually in last place in the CCHA and as of a few weeks ago they weren't ranked in the top 30.

Hopefully Bennett doesn't opt out, returning to Michigan would be good for us since Hamilton is likely going to be very crowded on the blueline again. But as someone that has watched him all year, he's easily ready to turn pro imo as he's been on the top pairing the past 2 seasons.

Wrote about the Frozen Four's,

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=199
That was the first game I saw Bennett play this year and he was quite underwhelming, to say the least. Was this just a bad game for him and how much better is he usually?

Old
03-25-2013, 08:46 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
That was the first game I saw Bennett play this year and he was quite underwhelming, to say the least. Was this just a bad game for him and how much better is he usually?
Notre Dame won it's 3rd CCHA title since 2006 and they are a very talented well coached defensive team.Notre Dame will be a favorite to win it all the Frozen Four Title.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1487871

Quote:
Finally, junior defenseman Mac Bennett might have been a candidate to keep an eye on a year ago or so, but the Rhode Island native is expected to wear the 'C' next season and he's become as Blue as any Wolverine on the team. He will be back.
This part also makes it sound like Bennett is some epic leader:

Quote:
Bennett will be in charge from the get-go next season, and with the help of other strong leaders - likely alternate captains Derek DeBlois and Andrew Copp - the locker room should be more harmonious. Bennett won't put up with the crap that confounded this team for most of the year, and more importantly, the coaching staff won't.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 03-25-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Nice to read.

It would be a shame if he didn't get his degree in musicology

Old
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Which is a great news for us. I don't say that often, while I love NCAA, I always believed that 4 years is one too many....but not for him. And especially not with the idea that by him opting out, might have mean losing him. We never know....while he didn't have Schultz record when he opted out, Bennett might have chosen doing it just by looking at the Habs depth on D. In all honesty, I would not have been surprised to see him start in Wheeling if he would have decided to start with us. Having him stay in Michigan will make him work physically, will also mean that he'll be a Hab in the end, and will mean that we will have one more year to assess what we have on D till he comes. If that news is indeed true (thanks to Red Berenson for making him the captain...), it is good news.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
interesting, I hadn't heard anything one way or the other but if he's returning to Michigan then thats great for us as it solves 2 problems. He can't opt out and one less rookie defensemen in Hamilton.

Really hope the Habs have been keeping an eye on Copp, would draft him for sure in the later rounds as he's really good on the PK and always works hard. Sounds like he's also going to be a leader on the team in what will be his 2nd season. Plus the Habs seem to like Michigan players.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
interesting, I hadn't heard anything one way or the other but if he's returning to Michigan then thats great for us as it solves 2 problems. He can't opt out and one less rookie defensemen in Hamilton.

Really hope the Habs have been keeping an eye on Copp, would draft him for sure in the later rounds as he's really good on the PK and always works hard. Sounds like he's also going to be a leader on the team in what will be his 2nd season. Plus the Habs seem to like Michigan players.
Which is fine with me!

Old
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

On 98,5FM just now, Patrice Brisebois said that Darren Dietz and Joshua Didier were his favourite prospects.

About Didier he said "When he hits, he hits to hurt, REALLY hurt".

He's seen all of our prospects in North America. Never seen Nygren and Collberg though

Old
03-25-2013, 07:21 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I used to like Merrill a whole lot. Wished we should have considered him in his draft year....I know...just one game...but he was mediocre today.
Speaking of your favourites, how is Derek Forbort doing? If I were to judge by stats I'd say he's disappointing, but I haven't seen him play this year.

Closed Thread