HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Daly on impact of realignment on expansion, negotiations w/NHLPA

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 10:15 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I'm not saying that a couple of teams wouldn't have ended up pissed off. I'm saying that the League would've come up with some 6-Division realignment scenario which would've solved some of the issues and ultimately have resulted in an alignment at least better than the current one (and I'm not just talking about an improvement for Winnipeg).

Detroit definitely would not have been put in the Northeast, so don't toss that out as an argument because it simply wouldn't have happened, I'm not stupid enough to think that it would've. It would've been one of Columbus or Nashville going in the Southeast, almost certainly Columbus (though I'm personally of the opinion that it should have been Nashville). The biggest questionmark is whether it would've been Vancouver or Colorado going to the Pacific.
No team is going East before Detroit.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:16 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Apparently the Lightning Org is happy with the prospect of attractive draws for home games but not overly crazy about the travel

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/lightning...medium=twitter
I think that, unfortunately thinking in the short-term, the Lightning have now have more interest due to Detroit potentiall being added to the Division. Detroit is a more attractive draw, and there's the Yzerman connection. But what happens if Detroit isn't added into the East; that's still up in the air.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
No team is going East before Detroit.
Well fine, Detroit could've taken that Southeast spot. But if you seriously think that the West would've voted more strongly to keep Columbus rather than Detroit among its ranks, then again we'll just have to disagree.

It would've been a hellof fight, all around, not just regarding Detroit and Columbus, but in the end more votes would've likely put Columbus in the East (also seen as a more logical fit in the Southeast, more logical than Detroit). And Detroit would Not have been put in the Northeast, even if again I personally would be fine with that.

Another point: If the 4 x option hadn't been thrown into the consideration, not only would a modified 6-Division alignment have eventually been passed after a long fight, but the League would be playing under that alignment this Season. The PA would not have had any reason to object to such an alignment. In fact, only if the League did maintain Winnipeg in the Southeast might the PA have objected to such a decision. So, you have an extended fight among the League about how to modify the 6-Division alignment, or now into the second year trying to come up with an alignment and schedule format that also the PA will accept. So the fact that the owners would've had an internal fight to get a new 6-Division realignment, or having the PA reject and battle with them about the details of a completely different alignment... Easier done internally, I think.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 03-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
03-03-2013, 11:05 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Well fine, Detroit could've taken that Southeast spot. But if you seriously think that the West would've voted more strongly to keep Columbus rather than Detroit among its ranks, then again we'll just have to disagree.

It would've been a hellof fight, all around, not just regarding Detroit and Columbus, but in the end more votes would've likely put Columbus in the East (also seen as a more logical fit in the Southeast, more logical than Detroit). And Detroit would Not have been put in the Northeast, even if again I personally would be fine with that.

Another point: If the 4 x option hadn't been thrown into the consideration, not only would a modified 6-Division alignment have eventually been passed after a long fight, but the League would be playing under that alignment this Season. The PA would not have had any reason to object to such an alignment. In fact, only if the League did maintain Winnipeg in the Southeast might the PA have objected to such a decision. So, you have an extended fight among the League about how to modify the 6-Division alignment, or now into the second year trying to come up with an alignment and schedule format that also the PA will accept. So the fact that the owners would've had an internal fight to get a new 6-Division realignment, or having the PA reject and battle with them about the details of a completely different alignment... Easier done internally, I think.
The league would never propose an alignment that had Detroit in the SE, nor would they propose an alignment that moved Columbus East over Detroit. It wouldn't ever get to a vote. You are acting like all 30 teams are working in tandem to come up with these proposals. They aren't. This is being driven by Bettman, Daly, and Comcast/NBC execs. The teams will just vote on what Bettman's office comes up with -- they likely have input, but they aren't all represented at the table in negotiations with the PA. The power members of the BoG are likeli more involved (Jacobs, Ilitch, Snider, etc...).

Let's look at the current proposal from the standard that really matters -- natural time starts. I'll put PHX in the MTZ for this, because they are there most of the NHL season.

The 16 east teams all have the same 41 road games time zone wise:

15 against own division (all ETZ)
12 against other East division (all ETZ)
14 against the West (6 CTZ, 4 MTZ, 4 PTZ)

So for the East teams, there are 432 games at N (natural start times), 96 at N+1, 64 at N+2, and 64 at N+3.

Now, I'm assuming they fix the West matrix so it is 30/20/32.

For the 7 Midwest teams, you will have 6 CTZ and 1 MTZ team.

For the division road games, you have

15 games that will be at N-1 (Colorado on road), 15 games at N+1 (Colorado on home), and 75 at N.

For the 10 road games against the other West division, it's a little more complicated. But you are only going to have 3-4 N games, and 18-24 N+2 games. I'd use worse case, and say 3 N, 43 N+1, and 24 N+2.

For the games against the East, you'll have 16 N-2 (Colorado) and 96 N-1.

So for the Midwest in total, we have 78 N games, 169 at N +/-1, and 40 at N +/-2.

Finally, for the 7 Pacific teams:

You have 4 PTZ and 3 MTZ teams.

In division, The 4 PTZ teams will have at least 6 games in N, and the 3 MTZ teams will have at least 4 games in N. So that's at least 24+12 or 36 N games, and at most 69 N +/1 games.

In the other West division matchups, there will be at least 3 N games (three MTZ teams at Colorado). There are at most 28 N-2 games (4 PTZ teams have to play 7 of 10 in CTZ). Leaving 39 N-1 games.

Finally, there will be 64 N-3 games for the PTZ in the East, and 48 N-2 for the MTZ teams in the East.

So in total for the Pacific, you have 39 N games, 108 N +/-1 games, 76 N +/-2, and 64 N-3 games.

So for the league as a whole, this gives us 549 N games, 373 N +/- 1 games, 180 N +/-2 games, and 128 for N +/- 3. This gives 922 / 1230 = 75% of games within 1 hour of a natural start time.

Plus, every game in the first 2 rounds will be as well.

Please come up with a 6 division playing matrix that:

1) Comes anywhere close to this kind of time zone efficiency
2) Has every team in every building, which the Western teams are demanding is included.

If you can't, then just stop with this 6 division nonsense. It make no sense with the current arrangement of the teams.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Exactly MH.

I also highly doubt that the league didn't try to fix all the current alignment issues within the 6 division structure before moving to a 4 division one.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:11 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
The league would never propose an alignment that had Detroit in the SE, nor would they propose an alignment that moved Columbus East over Detroit. It wouldn't ever get to a vote. You are acting like all 30 teams are working in tandem to come up with these proposals. They aren't. This is being driven by Bettman, Daly, and Comcast/NBC execs. The teams will just vote on what Bettman's office comes up with -- they likely have input, but they aren't all represented at the table in negotiations with the PA. The power members of the BoG are likeli more involved (Jacobs, Ilitch, Snider, etc...).
The League was in process of trying to hammer out a modified 6-Division realignment in 2011, and it was tough going. Then Bettman offered up a 4-Division option, and even that wasn't accepted by the majority at first. But Bettman, and likely those he had onboard for his 4-Division idea, worked on the rest of the League and that's what they ultimately agreed on. If that 4-Division/Conference idea had never been proposed, the League would've eventually come up with a modified 6-Division alignment.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:15 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
The League was in process of trying to hammer out a modified 6-Division realignment in 2011, and it was tough going. Then Bettman offered up a 4-Division option, and even that wasn't accepted by the majority at first. But Bettman, and likely those he had onboard for his 4-Division idea, worked on the rest of the League and that's what they ultimately agreed on. If that 4-Division/Conference idea had never been proposed, the League would've eventually come up with a modified 6-Division alignment.
Doubtful ... the reason why the 4 division proposal came up is the 6 division system just doesn't work anymore.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:16 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I also highly doubt that the league didn't try to fix all the current alignment issues within the 6 division structure before moving to a 4 division one.
And how long did they work on trying to find a 6-Division solution? And how long now has it been that they're trying to come up with a 4 x solution that the PA will agree to? Sure, because the focus now is on a 4 x, that's almost certainly what will be hammered out in the end; but that's only because in the process of 2011 that is what the owners decided to focus on. If it had never been entered into the discussion, a modified 6-Division alignment would be in use today.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:22 AM
rkhum

1) We DO NOT KNOW if this will even happen. I tend to feel the players will object given the uneven conferences.

2) Is it assumed the NHL will expand? And if so, then what happens?
I can't see the NHL expanding without adding a team in Quebec or Canada, which means yet another eastern conference club.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
And how long did they work on trying to find a 6-Division solution? And how long now has it been that they're trying to come up with a 4 x solution that the PA will agree to? Sure, because the focus now is on a 4 x, that's almost certainly what will be hammered out in the end; but that's only because in the process of 2011 that is what the owners decided to focus on. If it had never been entered into the discussion, a modified 6-Division alignment would be in use today.
It doesn't take very long to realize that 6 divisions doesn't work. At least for some of us.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:24 AM
rkhum

I don't understand nor see the need to re-invent the wheel just over precious TV start times. You people are making this an obsession.

Without Detroit in the west, NOBODY is going to care about that conference in any event.

Like no other sport has these issues and deals with it this foolishly. This is what happens in a national travel league...so deal with it. But don't make a system which to have perfect time starts you know have uneven conferences, uneven playoff seeding, and rivalries broken, JUST FOR PERFECT TV START TIMES.

I don't think TV START TIMES should be the NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.
IT CAN BE MITIGATED SHORT OF DOING A FOUR CONFERENCE SET UP!

Old
03-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

vCash: 200
Quote:
No offense MoreOrr, but you have no idea how the realignment proposals came about.

As far as the NHLPA not accepting the proposal, they need to really think on this decision. If it goes to binding arbitration precedent will be set on what is reasonable/unreasonable regarding their input into determing how the league groups its teams. The burden would then fall on the NHLPA to prove what the NHL has implemented is unreasonable.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
rkhum

Guys

What is wrong with my proposal?
It doesn't make the NHL:
-Radically different, weird, harder to follow than other sports
-Fixes problems for Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Vancouver
-Preserves conference interest and balance????

Quote:
East

Atlantic
Rangers
Islanders
NJ
PHI
PIT

Northeast
BOS
BUF
MON
OTT
TOR

Southeast
WAS
FLA
TB
CAR
NASHVILLE OR COLUMBUS

West

Central
DET
CHI
StL
NASH or Columbus
Dallas
Minn

Northwest
CAL
EDM
WIN
VAN

Pacific
SJ
ANA
LA
PHO (Seattle?)
Colorado

Italic=changes

OR

Quote:
East

Atlantic
Rangers
Islanders
NJ
PHI
PIT

Northeast
BOS
BUF
MON
OTT
TOR

Southeast
WAS
FLA
TB
CAR
NASHVILLE OR COLUMBUS

West

Central
DET
CHI
StL
NASH or Columbus
Dallas

Northwest
CAL
EDM
WIN
MIN
Colorado

Pacific
SJ
ANA
LA
PHO (Seattle?)
Vancouver

And in both cases we re-do seedings:

NBA Style
-If you finish 1st in the conference you get the 1 spot
-If you win your division you get the 2-4 seed
-So Say CHI has 110 points to lead the conference and StL has 109 and the NW team Minnesota has 100 and LA has 99
1) CHI 2) StL 3) Minnesota 4) LA

-If you win the division but you have the 5th most points you are still the 4 seed BUT you do not get home ice round one.
EX: LA wins the west with 98 points....DET is 3rd in the central with 102 points as the 5 seed. DET gets home ice.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:32 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
No offense MoreOrr, but you have no idea how the realignment proposals came about.

As far as the NHLPA not accepting the proposal, they need to really think on this decision. If it goes to binding arbitration precedent will be set on what is reasonable/unreasonable regarding their input into determing how the league groups its teams. The burden would then fall on the NHLPA to prove what the NHL has implemented is unreasonable.
No offense taken. I'm simply using my speculation based on the various reports we were reading over the summer an early autumn of 2011, just as you and others are doing the same, I imagine. Each of us can have our own perspectives on that; often generally swayed by the preferences we hold.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:38 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I don't understand nor see the need to re-invent the wheel just over precious TV start times. You people are making this an obsession.

Without Detroit in the west, NOBODY is going to care about that conference in any event.

Like no other sport has these issues and deals with it this foolishly. This is what happens in a national travel league...so deal with it. But don't make a system which to have perfect time starts you know have uneven conferences, uneven playoff seeding, and rivalries broken, JUST FOR PERFECT TV START TIMES.

NFL alignment doesn't matter, they can do what they want, because all games are national at specified times.

MLB for the longest time had 6 teams in the NL Central and 4 teams in the NL West, despite divisions being critically important in baseball, primarily because it made sense from a travel and game time sense.

The NBAs divisions are all messed up right now due to all the relocations they've had, and the divisions barely matter at all. Conferences are even right now.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:07 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:

If you don't understand why the nhl would cater their system to companies who are giving them hundreds of millions of dollars, I don't know how to help you.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:43 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
If you don't understand why the nhl would cater their system to companies who are giving them hundreds of millions of dollars, I don't know how to help you.
Yeah, this should be blatantly obvious. NHL may still be a gate-driven league, but national and local TV deals still make them some decent coin, especially the bigger teams like Detroit.

Sucks that Detroit's going East, but I totally understand their team and fanbase wanting to jump over there to cut back significantly on their bad TV start times.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:46 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yeah, this should be blatantly obvious. NHL may still be a gate-driven league, but national and local TV deals still make them some decent coin, especially the bigger teams like Detroit.

Sucks that Detroit's going East, but I totally understand their team and fanbase wanting to jump over there to cut back significantly on their bad TV start times.
I think the gate driven thing is likely coming to an end. I wouldn't be shocked in the next decade to see TV/Internet revenue exceed in arena revenue.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:01 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
1) We DO NOT KNOW if this will even happen. I tend to feel the players will object given the uneven conferences.

2) Is it assumed the NHL will expand? And if so, then what happens?
I can't see the NHL expanding without adding a team in Quebec or Canada, which means yet another eastern conference club.
You asked if I could give you my opinion on your posts today, so here goes...

1) If I had to bet on what will happen, I'd have to say that the most likely is that some form of the 4-Division idea will get passed. Not what I think is the best idea, but the most likely to happen.

2) Yes, absolutely; whether it's how the League normally does things or not, meaning that often they just consider what's on their plate in the moment and leave other issues to later. Nevertheless, to be doing a grand realignment at this point in time and not to be cobsidering the future implications of expansion, that just seems a bit stupid. Unless expansion really isn't a topic of consideration for the near future, and I suppose that is a possibility. But again, with the way this League often works, I wouldn't be surprised, that if the PA agrees to both Detroit and Columbus being in the East, that within a relatively short time there'll be the option of putting a team in Quebec City and then the League will once again have to figure out a way to resolve the alignment quandary.

If the PA is questioning this latest proposal with respect to possible expansion in Quebec City, I wouldn't accept the League sidestepping the question. Is there a consideration to expand and to expand to Quebec City sometime in the next few years, Yes or No?

Quote:

I have to disagree; I do think TV start times are becoming more and more important in the League. That said though, I do agree with your second point that if the West gets reduced to just one original six team, or forget the fact that Detroit is O-6 but just that it's been the primary consistant fan draw to every team in the Conference,... If Detroit goes into the East then that won't at all be a positive for the West. Whatever positive it might be for Detroit, it'll be at least a small negative for each of the teams in the Western Conference, compounded by 14. And it's not as if the East needs Detroit to come in and bolster their ratings and gate revenues.

And exactly, virtually all the other Leagues deal with these geographic distributions of their teams in not so rigid ways. There should be no pressing need to create an imbalanced alignment.

Quote:
It doesn't make the NHL:

OR

NBA Style
-So Say CHI has 110 points to lead the conference and StL has 109 and the NW team Minnesota has 100 and LA has 99

-If you win the division but you have the 5th most points you are still the 4 seed BUT you do not get home ice round one.
EX: LA wins the west with 98 points....DET is 3rd in the central with 102 points as the 5 seed. DET gets home ice.
For one, I don't agree with 4-and 6-team Divisions. I don't think a 1-team difference is a significant problem, but a 2-team difference just shouldn't be. That said, even a 1-team difference if it isn't necessary then probably shouldn't be.

As for your second 6-Division realignment option: Yes, that's the one that the League should've tried to get passed, and I'm sure it could've if they really put their collective minds to it.

And yes, I absolutely agree with that NBA Playoff seeding format for Division winners, in a 6-Division structure. A guaranteed top-4 Playoff spot with Home-ice advantage, not a guaranteed top-3 spot.

But the League could still even have an approximated 1st Round of Divisional matchups, very similar to the crossover option that they've offered in the last proposal, though Not as a "wildcard" sceanrio but sticking with the Top-8 in the Conference.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Grudy0

Quote:
If 4 x had never been brought into the discussion, do you seriously believe that the League would've ultimately voted to continue with Winnipeg in the Southeast? I seriously doubt it. A majority of owners would've ultimately settled on some other arrangement that put Winnipeg somewhere in the West, simply because it would be a lesser "evil". And in the end, whether it would've satisfied everyone or not, putting Winnipeg in the West would've still almost certainly have improved the alignment over what it currently is.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Doubtful ... the reason why the 4 division proposal came up is the 6 division system just doesn't work anymore.
This. The very last quote. This.

The problem here is that the NHL accepted the transfer of the Jets to True North Sports and Entertainment on 21 June 2011, and then the League leaked a plan for a four-conference setup on 26 June 2011. There wasn't any true discussion of making a simple swap to keep the six-division alignment. There were too many teams unhappy with the current alginment, and it only took 11 of them to vote no to a six-division realignment proposal for it to fail.

As I recall, there were around 16 to 18 proposals put forth in December 2011 discussions before the alignment that was ultimately approved was voted upon.

In order to fix the grievances within the current setup, the current setup had to be gutted.

I remember that at the beginning of the 2011 season, Dallas had a road trip where they played five road games, and that travel was more that some teams in the Eastern Conference's entire season schedule. I realize it is part of the alignment, but it is also partly the schedule maker. It's possible even in a six-division alignment, there would have been many teams that objected, and it is even possible the NHLPA would have objected if their concerns weren't addressed.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
It doesn't take very long to realize that 6 divisions doesn't work. At least for some of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
This. The very last quote. This.
Have you guys heard that directly quoted from Bettman or any of the BoG, or Daly?

Perhaps from your self-quotes over the past 15 months, or articles written by this or that author in support of the 4 x structure. Not saying that it isn't true, but primarily you guys are just supporting your opinion by arguing that the opposite opinion doesn't work and needed to be tossed.

A lot of things can be made to work if the League really wants to do it. The League as a whole had apparently been doing quite well prior to the 4 x structure being proposed to them. Some even argued: Why change what we've got when revenues have been growing as good or even better than expected. The financial issues the League has had have either been due to specific franchises with specific issues, such as Phoenix, or due to the imbalance in the share of revenues with the players.

* Hypothetical question for All:
If Winnipeg had been in the League in 2000 in the place of Atlanta, what do you believe the alignment would've looked like?

Last edited by MoreOrr: 03-03-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Pilky01

I don't even care what the plan is anymore. Just get this over with.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:18 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I don't even care what the plan is anymore. Just get this over with.
Why is it bothering you? They're keeping it pretty much behind the scenes, it's only a topic of focus here, which again you don't have to pay attention to. I can understand if you're a Winnipeg or Dallas fan and no matter what they decide on, you just want your team out of its current Division.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:42 PM
chasespace

Quote:
It doesn't make the NHL:

OR

NBA Style

I would prefer Nashville over Columbus in the southeast as, to someone who lives in Florida, while Nashville is an hour behind I consider them a southeast location.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Pepe Silvia

vCash: 1344
The whole time zone issue can be fixed by having 4 conferences. That's why I don't see what was wrong with the first proposed realignment. Either way, Detroit and Columbus end up only playing 8 games the entire season in the pacific/mountain time zones.

Closed Thread