HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Daly on impact of realignment on expansion, negotiations w/NHLPA

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I have argued that the reality of the NHL is such that the Flyers will not be separated out of the Atlantic.
What would it matter if they're separated if all they play in a Season was two games against each other.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
What would it matter if they're separated if all they play in a Season was two games against each other.
My proposal above was 'if it were up to me'. It's not. Most of my arguments in this thread have been based on reality, but that one was pure fantasy.

The reality remains:

1) The Atlantic Division will not be split up
2) The Northeast Division will not be split up
3) The western three Canadian teams will not be split up
4) Detroit will not play more than 2 games a year vs PTZ teams.
5) Divisions will not have more than 2 time zones.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:13 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
This is going to be a huge issue and a bigger hurdle than most people believe.

You have teams in the West who allegedly are against anything that doesn't have at least 2 games against everyone in the league.

Then, you have teams in the East who are more interested in playing their rivals. Like Lamoriello said, the more games against the Rangers and Flyers, the better. Right now, they play 6 times. Under the new proposal, that would shrink to 4 or 5. These teams do not want to give up games against the Rangers and Flyers for extra games against the Hurricanes and Blue Jackets. Making them division games isn't an automatic for the games to be in high-demand. Going to take time for these teams to form rivalries within the division. Unfortunately, there is no way to make everyone happy, but they need to come up with something that makes at least 22 teams happy. Even that might be tough.
Part of me really hates suggesting ideas that could make a 4 x structure work, and especially a 4-Conference structure because I hate it so much. But I think to achieve what you're describing there, the League would have to give up on a complete 2 games against every team in the League. The following schedule could work for 4-Conferences when the League goes to 32 teams:
8 games = 1 x 8
32 games = 2 x 16
42 games = 6 x 7
But damn it, I'd really hate that, primarily because it would almost for certain mean a top-4 per Conference.

So, let's say the two eastern Conferences always play each other 2 times each Season, and the two western Conferences always play each other 2 times each Season. And then each eastern Conference plays one western Conference 2 times in a Season and the other 1 time in a Season, alternating from Season to Season. That would mean that every eastern team would play every western team 3 times in two Seasons.

That's your solution; now I just have to hope that it never happens.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:15 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I have argued that the reality of the NHL is such that the Flyers will not be separated out of the Atlantic.
The point is more about moving Pittsburgh out not Philly. Philly's fine with the NY trio & Washington but of course Philly wants its cake & eat it too by keeping Pittsburgh even though the league would be far better off separating the two.

Why else would they shove the Florida teams with the Canadians, all so Philly can keep Pittsburgh & keeping both Detroit & Columbus from really establishing themselves in the Eastern conference with a new rival which is the closest to them aka Pittsburgh.

I'm willing to bet if Pittsburgh was like the near bankruptcy teams, Philly would be the first to boot them out.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Charliebox

Here's my proposal. It makes way more sense than the one the NHL is currently looking at.

Seattle (Phoenix)
Calgary
Van
Edmonton
LA
Anaheim
SJ
Colorado

Boston
MTL
Florida
Tampa
Toronto
Ottawa
Buffalo

Detroit
Columbs
Dallas
St Louis
Winnipeg
Nashville
Minny
Chicago

Islanders
Rangers
NJ
Carolina
Pitts
Philly
Wash

No team has a divisional opponent more than one timezone away.

From this, and just rational thought (something the NHL seems to be lacking), I don't understand why the NHL is hellbent on putting 17 teams in the East (which they are just gonna move) and 15 in the West, right now. Under the NHL's proposal, they are just going to have to move Detroit and Buffalo out of the NE as soon as QC and Markham get their teams. If the NHL is planning on expanding based on geography (ie put teams in the US midwest like KC), instead of potential sales, they are complete idiots.

Under my proposal, if and when QC and Markham get their teams, Buffalo can be moved into Div 4 with the other NY teams. It shouldn't be a big deal for Buffalo and makes sense rivalry-wise to have all the NY state teams in the same Div.

The only reason I can possibly think why the NHL put Detroit in the NE is to appease Mike Ilich. Other than that, there is absolutely no reason I can think of to put Detroit in the NE when they could simply rearange their division by putting Winnipeg, Dallas and Minny into it.

How can Mike Ilich be unhappy with the division I proposed above? They will have one team in their timezone and the remainder only one timezone later. If every team plays non divisional opponents the same # of times, then Detroit won't be at much of a disadvantage compared to other Eastern timezone teams.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Jetsfan79

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...hot-topic.html

^^^Latest on re-alignment news (items 26-30 in the article). Not surprisingly the East is dead against it (playoff structure)

Old
03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Grudy0

Quote:
Part of me really hates suggesting ideas that could make a 4 x structure work, and especially a 4-Conference structure because I hate it so much. But I think to achieve what you're describing there, the League would have to give up on a complete 2 games against every team in the League. The following schedule could work for 4-Conferences when the League goes to 32 teams:
8 games = 1 x 8
32 games = 2 x 16
42 games = 6 x 7
But damn it, I'd really hate that, primarily because it would almost for certain mean a top-4 per Conference.

So, let's say the two eastern Conferences always play each other 2 times each Season, and the two western Conferences always play each other 2 times each Season. And then each eastern Conference plays one western Conference 2 times in a Season and the other 1 time in a Season, alternating from Season to Season. That would mean that every eastern team would play every western team 3 times in two Seasons.

That's your solution; now I just have to hope that it never happens.
That won't happen. I'd believe too many western teams would vote no, as there isn't much of an increase in "out-of-conference" games.

We've seen too much regarding the insistance that every team play every other team twice. So every time I see a plan that has teams only playing once a season, I discard it.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Jetsfan79

I don't understand why the NHL doesn't simply shelf major re-alignment until the league has 32 teams? For next year, move the Jets to the NW, Columbus to SE, VAN to Pacific and Dallas to Central. I also seem to recall hearing once that the Wings woud agree to staying in the West if they reduced the amount west coast road trips they made every year. So why not do that by taking a page out of baseball and have the Wings take 1 long road trip to the west coast and play out all their games in one trip only? i.e 2 back to back games in LA , one in SJ, 2 back to back ANA etc.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebox View Post
Here's my proposal. It makes way more sense than the one the NHL is currently looking at.

Seattle (Phoenix)
Calgary
Van
Edmonton
LA
Anaheim
SJ
Colorado

Boston
MTL
Florida
Tampa
Toronto
Ottawa
Buffalo

Detroit
Columbs
Dallas
St Louis
Winnipeg
Nashville
Minny
Chicago

Islanders
Rangers
NJ
Carolina
Pitts
Philly
Wash

No team has a divisional opponent more than one timezone away.

From this, and just rational thought (something the NHL seems to be lacking), I don't understand why the NHL is hellbent on putting 17 teams in the East (which they are just gonna move) and 15 in the West, right now. Under the NHL's proposal, they are just going to have to move Detroit and Buffalo out of the NE as soon as QC and Markham get their teams. If the NHL is planning on expanding based on geography (ie put teams in the US midwest like KC), instead of potential sales, they are complete idiots.

Under my proposal, if and when QC and Markham get their teams, Buffalo can be moved into Div 4 with the other NY teams. It shouldn't be a big deal for Buffalo and makes sense rivalry-wise to have all the NY state teams in the same Div.

The only reason I can possibly think why the NHL put Detroit in the NE is to appease Mike Ilich. Other than that, there is absolutely no reason I can think of to put Detroit in the NE when they could simply rearange their division by putting Winnipeg, Dallas and Minny into it.

How can Mike Ilich be unhappy with the division I proposed above? They will have one team in their timezone and the remainder only one timezone later. If every team plays non divisional opponents the same # of times, then Detroit won't be at much of a disadvantage compared to other Eastern timezone teams.
Ummm that's the NHL's proposed re-alignment from Dec 2011 (which the PA turned down).

Old
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Charliebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Ummm that's the NHL's proposed re-alignment from Dec 2011 (which the PA turned down).
Then don't do anything until there are 32 teams.

If the PA turned it down cause the chances of making the playoffs in the West were worse than the East, why does the NHL think the PA will like it with the situation reversed? It makes no sense.

Just switch Winnipeg with Nashville and be done with it....

...until expansion/relocation.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:45 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Then don't do anything until there are 32 teams.

If the PA turned it down cause the chances of making the playoffs in the West were worse than the East, why does the NHL think the PA will like it with the situation reversed? It makes no sense.

Just switch Winnipeg with Nashville and be done with it....

...until expansion/relocation.
The league has no current plans for expansion so not sure how that's a solution.

Switching Winnipeg and Nashville will draw the ire of Detroit, Columbus (2 Eastern time teams in the west where Naashville is a Central time team), Dallas (cause they want a change and believe a re-alignment shoudl address their issues), Minnesota (Why should Winnipeg be in the central when Minne is south east of Winnipeg) etc etc etc.

If there was an easy solution that satisfied the vast majority of teams, it would have been done.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
That won't happen. I'd believe too many western teams would vote no, as there isn't much of an increase in "out-of-conference" games.

We've seen too much regarding the insistance that every team play every other team twice. So every time I see a plan that has teams only playing once a season, I discard it.
You should argue with patnyrnyg about that, because I was responding to his post.

However, let's analyze this...
I look at this 2-games against every idea as something that evolved through a chain of issues. Detroit, Columbus, and the CTZ teams want few games against the far-west. To give them that meant that the far-west would be losing games against teams or more specifically a region where they don't want to lose games against, but would actually prefer to gain games against. Doing the 2 by everyone format enables Detroit and those other teams to reduce their number of games against the far-west, while the far-west recovers that loss by gaining more games against the rest of the east.

Currently, P/MTZ teams play 50 games in a Season against C/ETZ teams.
The 2x everyone format would reduce that to 48 games.
The schedule that I suggested could get passed in a 4-Conference structure would reduce that to 40 games.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:50 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:

Seattle (Phoenix)
Calgary
Van
Edmonton
LA
Anaheim
SJ
Colorado

Boston
MTL
Florida
Tampa
Toronto
Ottawa
Buffalo

Detroit
Columbs
Dallas
St Louis
Winnipeg
Nashville
Minny
Chicago

Islanders
Rangers
NJ
Carolina
Pitts
Philly
Wash
NO alignment that has the Florida teams in with the eastern Canadian teams should ever be described as making "sense"!

Old
03-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Charliebox

Quote:
The league has no current plans for expansion so not sure how that's a solution.

Switching Winnipeg and Nashville will draw the ire of Detroit, Columbus (2 Eastern time teams in the west where Naashville is a Central time team), Dallas (cause they want a change and believe a re-alignment shoudl address their issues), Minnesota (Why should Winnipeg be in the central when Minne is south east of Winnipeg) etc etc etc.

If there was an easy solution that satisfied the vast majority of teams, it would have been done.
If the NHL doesn't cash in on expansion fees from QC and Markham in the next 5-10 yrs, they are complete idiots.

While they may not say they are planning on expansion, publicly, they sure are. There is a reason why the players wanted expansion fees tied into HRR during the lockout and the owners said no. If there were no plans on expansion in the next 10 years, there would have been no point in even discussing it.

Relocation will work for Phoenix to Seattle and possibly Florida to Kansas, but the big cash prize are the expansion fees from QC and Southern Ont.

So assuming QC is a target, which everyone is talking about, what div are they going to go in? With Montreal, obviously. So that leaves one of Detroit or Buffalo to move in 5-10 yrs. What's the point in bringing in Detroit just to move them in a few years time? Then we'll be back to square 1 with teams *****ing about realignment.

There are already 8 teams in the other Eastern division so are they going to put Buffalo in the West? Not a chance.

This new realignment plan does nothing for the future and just reeks of a patchwork solution to Detroit's complaints.

The proposal I put above (the NHLs from 2011) makes a ton more sense when thinking about the future.

If the future is as uncertain as you say (no plans for expansion), then why bother doing anything other than finding a way to put Winnipeg in the West and either Detroit, Columbus OR Nash in the east.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Charliebox

Quote:
NO alignment that has the Florida teams in with the eastern Canadian teams should ever be described as making "sense"!
It's the only way the panthers will survive dude.

If it isn't for the snowbirds from Tor, MTL, Boston and to a lesser extent, Buff and Ottawa, Florida is doomed.

You ever seen the difference in their crowds when they play, say Washington, compared to when they play the Leafs or the Habs?

Old
03-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Kebekoi

Quote:
It's the only way the panthers will survive dude.

If it isn't for the snowbirds from Tor, MTL, Boston and to a lesser extent, Buff and Ottawa, Florida is doomed.

You ever seen the difference in their crowds when they play, say Washington, compared to when they play the Leafs or the Habs?
Studies posted on these forums showed that there is a lot of transplants from the Atlantic division too.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
If the future is as uncertain as you say (no plans for expansion), then why bother doing anything other than finding a way to put Winnipeg in the West and either Detroit, Columbus OR Nash in the east.
That's what they are attempting at doing. Bettman has commentted on it numerous times. The only reason they went for a somewhat radical re-alignment plan was cause they could not reach a satisfactory consensus doing a simple swap.

Yes its simple enough to post a one for one swap on a message board. But when you're dealing with 30 teams and 30 different wants a simple swap in this case doesn't appear to satisfy enough people. The fact is, not enough teams are happy with the current set up and that's why when a re-alignment is to be done, a radical one is preferred by more teams.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Charliebox

Quote:
That's what they are attempting at doing. Bettman has commentted on it numerous times. The only reason they went for a somewhat radical re-alignment plan was cause they could not reach a satisfactory consensus doing a simple swap.

Yes its simple enough to post a one for one swap on a message board. But when you're dealing with 30 teams and 30 different wants a simple swap in this case doesn't appear to satisfy enough people. The fact is, not enough teams are happy with the current set up and that's why when a re-alignment is to be done, a radical one is preferred by more teams.
I said 'one of' those three teams. Not two. As soon as you put Columbus and Detroit in the 'East', good luck convincing one of those two to move back to the West.

That's what my point is.

Of course, in an ideal world, it would be great to have all the eastern time zone teams in the 'East', but that's just not going to fly based on the numbers.

The only thing I can think of is that Florida and another team (NJ, possibly) are in more trouble than we know if. If that's the case, then they could fit QC and Markham into the East, and have two even conferences.

I honestly don't think this will get done. There are already grumblings in the East that the playoff structure isn't going to be fair.

If they can have a 7 and 8 team 'conference' in each (West and East) then the crossover, 'wild card', idea makes sense. If not, then I can't see the players going for it, considering they turned down the exact same type of proposal last year.

Do the players in the 'East' care less about their chances of making the playoffs? I doubt it.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Charliebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Studies posted on these forums showed that there is a lot of transplants from the Atlantic division too.
Fair enough, but then who would move from the Atlantic to the NE?

NYR, Isles and Jersey are a package deal.

Pitts and Philly are a package deal.

They aren't going to put Carolina or Washington in the NE.

You could put Columbus in the NE and move one of Tampa or Florida, but that leaves the other one.

I guess you could put Philly and Pitts in the NE.. but I think they would rather see the Rangers and Caps more time in the year than the Leafs/Habs and Bruins.

If you do put Pitts and Philly in the NE, it's going to be one beast of a division.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
I don't understand why the NHL doesn't simply shelf major re-alignment until the league has 32 teams? For next year, move the Jets to the NW, Columbus to SE, VAN to Pacific and Dallas to Central.
That's a pretty major realigning of teams though. That's changing both conferences, and 4 divisions. It may not be a radical realignment, but it certainly would be a major one.

That's why it's not a simple thing to do. That would be putting 1 Canadian team that has been around for 40 years in an otherwise American division. That would leave 1 ETZ team in the West. That would be increasing the travel within the division for the single ETZ team in the West.

If the league had to stick with 6 divisions, I'm not sure anything changes from the current setup. Once that Winnipeg to the West thread is pulled, the whole sweater starts getting holes in it.

The Thrashers to Winnipeg from Atlanta is very different than the Nordiques to Colorado, or North Stars to Dallas, or Whalers to Carolina, or Jets to Phoenix. Nobody had to move out of the West to make room for the Avs, and the other 3 were all in conference moves.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:37 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Fair enough, but then who would move from the Atlantic to the NE?

NYR, Isles and Jersey are a package deal.

Pitts and Philly are a package deal.

They aren't going to put Carolina or Washington in the NE.

You could put Columbus in the NE and move one of Tampa or Florida, but that leaves the other one.

I guess you could put Philly and Pitts in the NE.. but I think they would rather see the Rangers and Caps more time in the year than the Leafs/Habs and Bruins.

If you do put Pitts and Philly in the NE, it's going to be one beast of a division.
Columbus and Carolina.

Sure, it would be much better if it were Columbus and Pittsburgh, but that's highly unlikely to happen. And it might be even better if it were Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia, with Boston moving to the Atlantic, but that's obviously Not going to happen.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Charliebox

To me, there is a REASON why the NHL's first proposal (the 2011 one that I put above) is the one they thought of first!

It's because
1. it makes the most sense for the short term
2. it leaves room for expansion/relocation

As I said, they should just leave it the way it is and move Winnipeg and Nashville, but if they are hellbent on going with 4 'conferences', then stick with the 2011 proposal.

If it won't fly with the players, then have Columbus and Detroit flip a coin or something. If Detroit wins, they go into the NE and if Columbus wins they go into the Atlantic.

That way, the East and West each have 15 teams (7,8 team 'conferences') and the whole crossover, wildcard, idea will work.

Done and done.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Charliebox

Quote:
Columbus and Carolina.
Carolina is dead if they go into the NE. They won't get extra sales from snowbirds, and they won't have any natural rivalries to help ticket sales.

Also, they don't have a ton of cash, so all the extra travel expenses will hurt their ownership group big time.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Grudy0

Quote:
Carolina is dead if they go into the NE. They won't get extra sales from snowbirds, and they won't have any natural rivalries to help ticket sales.

Also, they don't have a ton of cash, so all the extra travel expenses will hurt their ownership group big time.
Yet there are posts regarding attendance for the Hurricanes that show they get better attendance from the eastern Canada teams, Boston and Buffalo. Those posts are in one of the many realignment threads since mid-2011.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:

I don't believe that for a moment. Carolina already has medium rivalries with Boston, Buffalo, and Montreal. While in the Atlantic Division, Carolina has the same with just the Devils. The other team that Carolina has something going with is Florida (possibly the only actual rivalry that exists to some degree in the Southeast.

Where's Tarheel to confirm or deny this??

To be honest, I'd be more worried about Columbus in the Northeast (though not necessarily a problem); but if the League can somehow keep an alignment with Detroit there, then Columbus also becomes a more natural fit.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 03-06-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Closed Thread