HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aaron Volpatti waived; claimed by Capitals

Old
02-28-2013, 11:29 AM
BerSTUzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Yeah it's a shame it didn't work out for him in Vancouver; he always had the talent/skill to be a legitimate NHLer. Even Dave Nonis - the guy who actually drafted and scouted him - didn't put much of a fight to get Burke to claim him (I'm pretty sure the Leafs were ahead of the Islanders in the claim priority list).
Bob Mackenzie "I just can't see the Vancouver Canucks not taking Patrick Bergland next"

BerSTUzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Volpatti claimed by washington. This is it...this is the roster move Gillis was referring to for the mystery Luongo suitor!

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

Does Pinizotto even exist anymore? Haven't heard **** about him in so long.

This is another questionable move. Volpatti was a great fourth liner and not a liability.

ThereGoesVirtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:42 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post

This is another questionable move. Volpatti was a great fourth liner and not a liability.
Yeah he was.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:46 AM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Damn.... Schneider is elite and Volpatti is great according to some people here.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Volpatti claimed by washington. This is it...this is the roster move Gillis was referring to for the mystery Luongo suitor!

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:51 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post

This is your example of a questionable move? A fourth liner who struggled to keep up with the play? Fought, but not intimidating. If this is an example of a questionable move we're looking good.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
cc

Like others, I liked volpatti. Hard nosed and gritty. Good fighter within his own weight class. Kinda like mike brown for Toronto. Useful energy guy to have around. To lose him for seemingly no reason is baffling.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Alan Jackson

Obviously, losing Volpatti is no great loss, but the Canucks don't have much forward depth in the organization, do they?

After Ebbett, who would the next call-up be?

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:53 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
Like others, I liked volpatti. Hard nosed and gritty. Good fighter within his own weight class. Kinda like mike brown for Toronto. Useful energy guy to have around. To lose him for seemingly for no reason is baffling.
Exactly. Lots of people seem to be talking smack about him, but he filled his role perfectly. Not happy with his.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Bob Mackenzie "I just can't see the Vancouver Canucks not taking Patrick Bergland next"
Nonis listened to Ron Delorme rather than Thomas Gradin.

(I'm joking but who really knows - it could very well be true as Grabner was playing for the Spokane Chiefs - in Delorme's assigned scouting area).

I've gone off-topic enough as it is lol...so this will be the last word I have on the subject (in this thread)....

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Like others, I liked volpatti. Hard nosed and gritty. Good fighter within his own weight class. Kinda like mike brown for Toronto. Useful energy guy to have around. To lose him for seemingly no reason is baffling.
I thought Mike Brown as well ... though I think he was a more mobile skater, he was a similar fighter. Gone on to have a pretty good run in Toronto .... I think Volpatti will find a place for himself in the NHL as well. Too bad, we really didn't need to waive him and the organization put quite a lot of time into his development as a player. Gilman's "we want to give him more ice time" explanation still holds no water for me.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Northbad

Maybe Cam Barker can play wing!

Northbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I really liked Volpatti, but he is easily replaceable.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
And this is why it makes no sense to say that they did this because of Pinizzotto. They don't even know if Pinner will be able to play hockey as well as he did before his injuries and he could've always been sent down (instead of assigned on a conditioning stint). There must be something else brewing, such as a trade or a signing.

If there isn't then all I can say is that I'm heavily disappointed in our waiver wire management this season. First Barker, then the Ebbett situation, now sending Volpatti down to make room for Pinizzotto? Bleh.
I'm pretty sure Canucks management would know Pinizzotto's situation, and in all fairness, if Pinizzotto is healthy then he is twice the player Vopatti will ever be. Volpatti for Pinizzotto at this point is a lateral move.

ZenMaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:08 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Not sure if this was posted, but not opposed to this either he could use more minutes and practice.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
AV says Volpatti was sent down to give him more ice time. Both Volpatti and Gillis agreed that was best for him. #canucks

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph
AV says Gillis made Volpatti decision last night. Has nothing to do with Kesler. Team wants him to play more minutes in Chicago. #canucks
lying through their teeth. they both knew that Volpatti would get claimed by another team.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
lying through their teeth. they both knew that Volpatti would get claimed by another team.
Yeah that sort of irks me. They obviously think the fans are stupid ... there was already some rumoured interest in Volpatti, I think management must have known he would likely get claimed. That "ice time" explanation is just dumb.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I really liked Volpatti, but he is easily replaceable.
Exactly. He was fine in his role but that consisted of playing a few minutes a night or not at all. The way quite a few posters are going on about this makes me wonder if I missed the 30 or so points he put up from his 4th line role.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Yeah that sort of irks me. They obviously think the fans are stupid ... there was already some rumoured interest in Volpatti, I think management must have known he would likely get claimed. That "ice time" explanation is just dumb.
So you guys think they waived him knowing he'd be claimed? That's not at all consistent with their past behaviour (holding onto awful players simply because they didn't want to risk losing them)..

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I'm pretty sure Canucks management would know Pinizzotto's situation, and in all fairness, if Pinizzotto is healthy then he is twice the player Vopatti will ever be. Volpatti for Pinizzotto at this point is a lateral move.
What they need are 2 players. That means they would need to call up someone like Andrew ebbett as well and isn't he subject to recall waivers?
As well, pinizotto most likely won't be thrown into the lineup without at least a conditioning stint in the minors after such a long layoff.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
(Pinizotto is 28 years old and has never played a game in the NHL)

Old
02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
What they need are 2 players. That means they would need to call up someone like Andrew ebbett as well and isn't he subject to recall waivers?
As well, pinizotto most likely won't be thrown into the lineup without at least a conditioning stint in the minors after such a long layoff.
Those no longer exist.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
tantalum

The ice time explanation isn't really dumb when you look at the situation for what it was. The situation, as I think i mentioned in this thread somewhere, is likely a case of getting a player to some situation where that player can develop more or be given that opportunity to develop. IF he cleared waivers then he was going to be asked to develop some PK skills so he could be a true contributor to the team and organization. If he didn't clear well then he gets the chance for that increased icetime and development in another organization.

This was a move that was done for the specific reason of helping Volpatti along in his career. Sometimes being a GM is about getting players to better situations so the player is given the best chance to succeed, even if it means a temporary reduction of organizational depth.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
So you guys think they waived him knowing he'd be claimed? That's not at all consistent with their past behaviour (holding onto awful players simply because they didn't want to risk losing them)..
NHL players who can chuck knuckles always get claimed. There is at least one team out there that thinks these type of guys can immediately add something to their line-up. It is the reason guys like Mike Rupp still get traded around the league. Guys like Ebbett don't because they basically fill dead space when you have an injury and shouldn't be in the NHL - roster fodder really. Volpatti was, at the very least, an NHL-calibre middle weight who had some impressive KO's.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

The way people talk about Volpatti around here, you'd think he's an elite third-liner playing on our fourth. He's easily replacable and definitely NOT a better hockey player than Weise.

And I love Patti.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote