HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why is the West better than the East?

Old
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 500
East is weak, the only reason they win cups is because the west team is usually way more beat up from the previous 3 rounds.

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I watch plenty of western conference games...and find st. louis and nashville unbelievably boring.
You couldn't have picked a worse example. You could literally say Nashville vs any team and it would have been a better choice. The Nashville/Vancouver game a few days ago was by far the most boring game I've seen this year.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
West is so good, thank got Bettman lets the East win the cup once in a while.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
East is weak, the only reason they win cups is because the west team is usually way more beat up from the previous 3 rounds.
I guess that is a fairly obvious point but I hadn't made that connection. It's boggled my mind as to why the East wins Cups as often as they do. I just chalked it up to "anything can happen in a series" but you make a great point.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It definitely makes sense. They aren't used to the travel. I think that explains the size of the gap to an extent but not the presence. However, you also have to factor in the fact that Eastern teams travel a lot less when they play each other, so that mitigates some of the explained gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
I think you have something there. Western teams have tougher travel schedules, but in a sense it benefits them because they are used to it. Eastern teams simply aren't used to the travel.
I think the idea is more along the lines of time zones.

An eastern team playing in California is playing from 10:00pm-1:30am according to their bodies.

A western team playing in New York is playing from 4pm-6:30pm according to their bodies.

There are probably some other marginal issues, like the difference in distance between road trip destinations, but the jet lag issue is the biggest one.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

It's left over from when the west did have better teams. It's fairly even now, although the east tends to have a drop off in skill after 9th or so place, whereas the west generally peters off in a more balanced way.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:16 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
You couldn't have picked a worse example. You could literally say Nashville vs any team and it would have been a better choice. The Nashville/Vancouver game a few days ago was by far the most boring game I've seen this year.
This. Add to that the St. Louis/Colorado game the other night had everything whereas the last night's Vancouver/Phoenix game (aside from one or two highlights) looked like both teams were playing not to lose.

deytookerjaabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:18 PM
MessierII

All I know is the new re alignment will help league wide parity with every team playing each other a couple if times.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I guess that is a fairly obvious point but I hadn't made that connection. It's boggled my mind as to why the East wins Cups as often as they do. I just chalked it up to "anything can happen in a series" but you make a great point.
2011 -
Boston - 18 games prior to SCF
Vancouver - 18 games prior to SCF

2012 -

The 8th seed LA kings lost 2 games in total to the mighty west in three rounds.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
sorry, i wasn't trying to rank/order nashville match-ups in terms of 'boringness'. the last nashville/st. louis game i watched was extremely boring...i didn't mean to suggest that there aren't other (and even more) boring games than nashville has played...in fact, i completely believe there are.

so far i've been lucky enough to avoid any match ups between nashville and minnesota...although, i'd imagine they'd be snoozers as well.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:29 PM
darglor

vCash: 9337
The time zones is the difference for the disparity between the points accumulated in intra-conference play. Playing at "1am" is rough, whereas playing at "4:30pm" is not.

Anyone that has tried to get some ice time and been forced to play in the wee hours of the morning due to availability could tell you what a difference it makes.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Honour Over Glory

The west isn't better than the east and vice versa.

People that like teams on either side, usually diss the other side like they have the superior product when really, they don't.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
sorry, i wasn't trying to rank/order nashville match-ups in terms of 'boringness'. the last nashville/st. louis game i watched was extremely boring...i didn't mean to suggest that there aren't other (and even more) boring games than nashville has played...in fact, i completely believe there are.

so far i've been lucky enough to avoid any match ups between nashville and minnesota...although, i'd imagine they'd be snoozers as well.
Again, it's very clear you are just listing teams based off of reputation. Vancouver is the sole reason for many of the boring matchups, yet you list them as an "exciting" team.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
The time zones is the difference for the disparity between the points accumulated in intra-conference play. Playing at "1am" is rough, whereas playing at "4:30pm" is not.

Anyone that has tried to get some ice time and been forced to play in the wee hours of the morning due to availability could tell you what a difference it makes.
Jet lag is commonly regarded as being harder to overcome by traveling East and easier by traveling West.

I think it just has to do with Western teams being more used to long travel. I never really bought into the idea that one conference was significantly better than the other though.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Count Von Grabo*

West is better. But it's only slightly for me. Not as lopsided as some think on here.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Again, it's very clear you are just listing teams based off of reputation. Vancouver is the sole reason for many of the boring matchups, yet you list them as an "exciting" team.
i have centre ice. i'm able to watch the teams. i'm not just making this up without ever having watched any of them.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Everyone that has mentioned the West being deeper is spot on. There are more teams in the West that have a realistic chance of winning a cup than there are in the East.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
mavstar
No expectations

The only reason the Eastern conference gets a bad rap is because the Southeast division is trash. Don't get me wrong, the Northwest Division is also bad, but the Southeast is on a whole other level.

mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Black and Gold

Something else to note is that claiming the West is better this year because they have more points is stupid, because they only play each other.

Black and Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
onlyalad

West is better because my team is in the West.

I think the East has more star players and free flowing game. The West plays more of a system style.
I think the top third in the East might be a little better than the top third in the West
but the West is better in the bottom third.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
More boring than the Preds v Kings game that had like 11 shots combined through half the game? Some of the western conference teams that play "suffocating defense" play a very very boring game. Keep in mind, whether their successful or not at it nor the results they get because of it is not a point I'm arguing for or against.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

West is "tougher". Also they've a 42-year old guy with ~0.95 PPG. Wait, I've confused myself....

crowi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Since it's being taken for granted in 09-10 that 4 teams in the West (Dallas, Anaheim, Calgary and St Louis) who missed the playoffs were better than 2 teams in the East that made it (Rangers, Philly), I thought I'd look at not only their head to heads, but their collective performance against the division the two Eastern teams shared.

In head to heads, those four teams went 4-6 against Phil and NYR, while not posting a very good goal differential vs the two "worse" teams (21 GF 28 GA).

Against the Atlantic division, which is where Philly and the Rangers had the plurality of their games, those Western teams went 11-14 (5 of those wins by St Louis), but got embarrassed in goal differential 44-77. This means the wins the Western clubs got tended to be squeakers and the losses they got, laughers.

I think it's safe to say only St Louis (5-2 against the Atlantic) could be argued to have had a chance to outpoint Philadelphia or the Rangers in the same situation those teams found themselves in.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
More boring than the Preds v Kings game that had like 11 shots combined through half the game? Some of the western conference teams that play "suffocating defense" play a very very boring game. Keep in mind, whether their successful or not at it nor the results they get because of it is not a point I'm arguing for or against.
Yes, definitely. LA and Vancouver are known for their suffocating defense. Not as true for Nashville this year. They are just really really bad offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold View Post
Something else to note is that claiming the West is better this year because they have more points is stupid, because they only play each other.
Anyone who says this should have pucks thrown at them More points is just a sign of parity due to all the tie games. Doesn't say anything about the better teams though.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

If you look at the standings you easily find the answer. Way more 3 point games than in the east.

Most teams in the east has 1 OT/SO loss, and in the west most teams have 3 OT/SO losses.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote