HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why is the West better than the East?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Boston is one of the few good teams.

Montreal would never be on top of the standings in the West. With all respect.

East is definitely more entertaining. I rather watch Eastern games.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I think the idea is more along the lines of time zones.

An eastern team playing in California is playing from 10:00pm-1:30am according to their bodies.

A western team playing in New York is playing from 4pm-6:30pm according to their bodies.

There are probably some other marginal issues, like the difference in distance between road trip destinations, but the jet lag issue is the biggest one.
Except that many articles show that it is worse going west to east than east to west.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...time-zones-jet

That's just one if you search for it you'll find tons and they all agree that I have read it's easier going east to west on your body.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Except that many articles show that it is worse going west to east than east to west.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...time-zones-jet

That's just one if you search for it you'll find tons and they all agree that I have read it's easier going east to west on your body.
This is true, but reflect more on traditional daily schedules, where you are required to work 9-5, not whatever the standard NHL practice sched is. Teams can adjust their practice schedules on the road trips to better reflect players needs unlike many traditional businesses.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's much easier to stay up late while getting an extra hour of rest, compared to waking up earlier and losing an hour of rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
The critical factor here is the time of the games being played.

Going east->west is a bear if you're expected to be in athletic competition that evening. Playing hockey at midnight sucks for your performance, as I'm sure many people on this forum can attest.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The critical factor here is the time of the games being played.

Going east->west is a bear if you're expected to be in athletic competition that evening. Playing hockey at midnight sucks for your performance, as I'm sure many people on this forum can attest.
But going west->east is mentally fatiguing since you are you losing time. Less time to rest. Less time to prepare for a game. Trouble sleeping the night before.

We've all seen our teams play poorly on those odd early weekend games.

I think it's safe to say the jet lag factor can't be used since there are pros and cons to each. Having your schedule thrown off, whether by losing time or gaining time, is gonna mess you up either way.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 303
It isn't. They have near identical records when facing each other, iirc.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Phu

To my eye the style of play in the west is a lot more grueling. Watching east games it's like international ice compared to the west games I'm used to watching. West teams are just big, defensively aggressive and tight checking, hard-hitting and clog the neutral zone and crease area like nobody's business. And the goalies are huge and good.

Results in less scoring, games come down to fewer goals, so in general it's just a harder dogfight out there for west teams.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

There are way more top defensemen in the West. There are way more true stud 1's (elite PMDs who anchor the top pairing and eat a ton of minutes) and top 3's (excellent PMDs who anchor a second pairing on a top team but are #1 on an ok team).

1's
Pietrangelo
Yandle
Doughty
Weber
Keith

3's
OEL
Voynov
E Johnson
J Johnson
Fowler
Shattenkirk
Edler
J. Schultz

Old man Boyle is still around as well.
Heck the West even has the premier 2 guy in Suter and also Seabrook.
And I'm probably missing a ton of guys.

And it's no surprise that the one East team built the most like a top West team, Boston, is not only built around Chara but is one of the few Cup winners that came out of the East recently.

I call it the Pronger effect.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
I think you have something there. Western teams have tougher travel schedules, but in a sense it benefits them because they are used to it. Eastern teams simply aren't used to the travel.

Other than that, I can't see much of a case being made since it's all speculation. Actually, ^^this is pure speculation too.
I think its more the fact that when east team go to the west coast they are playing at 10 or 10:30 eastern time. Opposed to west coast teams playing 2 or 2 30 pacific time when they go on a eastern road trip.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:42 PM
lamp9post

Because the Southeast division is in the Eastern conference.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold View Post
Honestly, I just don't see how the West is that much better than the East? Obviously there are teams like Chicago and Vancouver, but they are really the only proven top teams in their conference. Although Anaheim looks pretty good at this point as well. But other than that, nobody looks elite. Both the Predators and the Blues have been struggling recently, and although the Kings have surged as of late, and I think they can be contenders they're really streaky.

What makes them SO much better than the East?
The West is more defensive in nature, so it's definitely harder to score. I think the West has more system teams that are built to completely smother the opponent too.

For me, I watch Eastern games and wonder, "How on earth do they just get to go end-to-end like that?" Not that the East plays a worse style of hockey, but it's certainly different. It's more North-South and the West is, well, more East-West.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
There are way more top defensemen in the West. There are way more true stud 1's (elite PMDs who anchor the top pairing and eat a ton of minutes) and top 3's (excellent PMDs who anchor a second pairing on a top team but are #1 on an ok team).

1's
Pietrangelo
Yandle
Doughty
Weber
Keith

3's
OEL
Voynov
E Johnson
J Johnson
Fowler
Shattenkirk
Edler
J. Schultz

Old man Boyle is still around as well.
Heck the West even has the premier 2 guy in Suter and also Seabrook.
And I'm probably missing a ton of guys.

And it's no surprise that the one East team built the most like a top West team, Boston, is not only built around Chara but is one of the few Cup winners that came out of the East recently.

I call it the Pronger effect.
Pronger really did change how defense could be played, just in a different way than Orr and Lidstrom.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Lacaar

The west has also reverted back to trap and plug hockey for sure. It's all about clogging up lanes etc.

It's definitely not as exciting as the east. though in the end more effective. A sad statement on the state of the game today. The less exciting the hockey.. the better your team is playing.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Jzk

vCash: 750
It amazes me how much space there is in the east compared to the west.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
T-Funk

70% of the worst GA teams in the league are in the East.
70% of the worst GF teams in the league are in the West.

East has **** D but is more exciting.
West has great D but is boring and can't score goals.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
2011 -
Boston - 18 games prior to SCF
Vancouver - 18 games prior to SCF

2012 -

The 8th seed LA kings lost 2 games in total to the mighty west in three rounds.
The 8th seed in the West missed being the 3 seed by 3 points. There wasn't much to differentiate between the top 3 teams in the Pacific last season. All good teams, with two of them in the WCF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
70% of the worst GA teams in the league are in the East.
70% of the worst GF teams in the league are in the West.

I think another thing you need to look at is goal differential. All of the West's 8 playoff teams were on the plus side. Two of the playoff teams from the East were on the minus side. I think that is indicative of the top teams in the East feasting on some weaker teams.

East has **** D but is more exciting.
West has great D but is boring and can't score goals.
...or it could just be this. Kings' players coming over from the East have said the West is more physical and the checking is a lot tighter.

Last edited by KINGS17: 02-27-2013 at 05:20 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Pronger really did change how defense could be played, just in a different way than Orr and Lidstrom.
And that way is... ?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
HankieDankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Which is why 5 of the bottom 10 teams in the NHL in goal differential are in the West or 6 of the top 10 teams in the NHL in the same stats department are in the East?

I don't particularly care about the West. The seem like a parity choked snorefest of a conference with a much poorer distribution of individual star players. The quantity and quality of marquee names like Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Ovechkin, Chara, Karlsson, Spezza, Tavares, Vanek, Staal Brothers, Nash, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Kessel, etc. makes the East way more appealing.
It doesn't have anything to do with players, it has more to do with coaching and systems.

Aside from Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos who are on a different level than anyone else on the plant, the talent level of players is pretty much the same. And 3 players are not enough to change entire conferences.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Sedin twins, Kane, Toews, Hossa, Weber, Doughty, Getzlaf, Perry, Thornton, Marleau, Eberle, Hall, Iginla, Kopitar, Parise etc. The list goes on for both conferences.

It has alot more to do with systems and styles of play, rather than talent

HankieDankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
It amazes me how much space there is in the east compared to the west.
It's because team in the East try and score instead of trying to not be scored on. More D-minded coaches in the West. Better high end offensive players in the East. And not being a jerk about it...but for example...Philly would not dress a Jordan Nolan over Simon Gagne.

Last edited by Offdapost*: 02-27-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Lots of those in the east too.

Karlsson
Markov
McDonaugh
Chara
Letang
Subban
Byfuglien
Enstrom
Timmonen
Campbell
Erhoff
Phaneuf
Visnovsky
Green

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
bdawg1989*

The Maple Leafs play in the East... therefore the East is better and ''tougher'', AINEC.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Pyromaniac3

It's because I feel more scared playing Western teams than playing Eastern teams.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankieDankie View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with players, it has more to do with coaching and systems.

Aside from Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos who are on a different level than anyone else on the plant, the talent level of players is pretty much the same. And 3 players are not enough to change entire conferences.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Sedin twins, Kane, Toews, Hossa, Weber, Doughty, Getzlaf, Perry, Thornton, Marleau, Eberle, Hall, Iginla, Kopitar, Parise etc. The list goes on for both conferences.

It has alot more to do with systems and styles of play, rather than talent
Except that when you have to play...or BEAT that elite talent that you know will score 1-2 points a game, you often have to take chances and play a more offensive style. Now this year is different but 12 of the top scorers are from the East. Last year, 11 of the top 15 including the top 8 guys.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:52 PM
freakydallas13

Because western conference fans keep saying so.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Jzk

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
It's because team in the East try and score instead of trying to not be scored on. More D-minded coaches in the West. Better high end offensive players in the East. And not being a jerk about it...but for example...Philly would not dress a Jordan Nolan over Simon Gagne.
No. Western teams want the puck so they try to get it. They don't sit back and let 1 on 1's happen.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote