HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Apr 29: Tanev wearing a boot, Schneider practicing with team

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
Booth going under the knife.

Quote:
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 21s
@D_Booth7 will have surgery today according to Gillis on @Team1040
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Old
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Booth going under the knife.
With Gillis saying that he isn't planning on adding a winger this season, it makes me think Booth will be back for the playoffs.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
With Gillis saying that he isn't planning on adding a winger this season, it makes me think Booth will be back for the playoffs.
I wouldn't count on it. I think Gillis is looking at where the Canucks stand in regards to the rest of the league and is being realistic about where the team is. It probably isn't the best course of action to spend assets on a winger before the deadline when you look at some of the years a few of these teams are having. CHI, PITT and ANA are a few teams that are almost unbeatable right now. Even if he were to go out and land a top 6 forward or even a top 3 I still don't put the Canucks in the same category as the 3 teams I mentioned. Sometimes it just isn't your year and sometimes it is. Those top teams are having what the Canucks enjoyed in 2011.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
2009 efforts brought Schroeder maybe Connauton but I don't hold my breath on that one
Sorry, I'll just chime in here to say that Cannata and Price both have good NHL potential. The latter, to me, looks like he's on par or slightly below Corrado as far as potential from seeing how he has integrated with the Wolves. (Mostly adding these two because you mentioned Honzik and Blomstrand who I consider worse prospects.)

Old
03-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Sorry, I'll just chime in here to say that Cannata and Price both have good NHL potential. The latter, to me, looks like he's on par or slightly below Corrado as far as potential from seeing how he has integrated with the Wolves. (Mostly adding these two because you mentioned Honzik and Blomstrand who I consider worse prospects.)
well corrado was 19 for comparison so its not really fair there

Old
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I wouldn't count on it. I think Gillis is looking at where the Canucks stand in regards to the rest of the league and is being realistic about where the team is. It probably isn't the best course of action to spend assets on a winger before the deadline when you look at some of the years a few of these teams are having. CHI, PITT and ANA are a few teams that are almost unbeatable right now. Even if he were to go out and land a top 6 forward or even a top 3 I still don't put the Canucks in the same category as the 3 teams I mentioned. Sometimes it just isn't your year and sometimes it is. Those top teams are having what the Canucks enjoyed in 2011.
Do you really think Chi/Anaheim are unbeatable come the playoffs? I feel they are the same as our team last year come last year, a good team but no lock to trounce through the playoffs.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
well corrado was 19 for comparison so its not really fair there
I'm not comparing him to how Corrado integrated with the Wolves though so... He looks better than Connauton and he has only played a few games.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Do you really think Chi/Anaheim are unbeatable come the playoffs? I feel they are the same as our team last year come last year, a good team but no lock to trounce through the playoffs.
No team is unbeatable for sure but my point is that you have to look realistically at where your team is at. The Canucks are not on the verge of being a legit contender. If anything they are one more injury away from potentially missing the playoffs. The team will not be active this trade season. Bank on it.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
No team is unbeatable for sure but my point is that you have to look realistically at where your team is at. The Canucks are not on the verge of being a legit contender. If anything they are one more injury away from potentially missing the playoffs. The team will not be active this trade season. Bank on it.
I actually agree, I live with a Chicago fan (wife) and my mind went into rage at the thought of them winning the cup.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
to me it sounded like Gillis thinks Booth won't be back, but didn't want to say that publicly.

When asked if he's planning on acquiring a winger he referred to Kassian and Higgins being back soon and that as such there wasn't a need. He did say they've been looking for a center but no trades were available.

Without Booth, we still have Sedin and Burrows on the top line, Raymond and Hansen on the 2nd and Higgins and Kassian on the 3rd, with Weise and Sestito rounding out the bottom line... and when discussing Jensen, it sounded like there is still a plan to bring him up later this year, after he's "adjusted to the North American game"

Looks to me like he's not interested in acquiring a winger because we're still covered there, not because he expects Booth back this year.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
I'm not comparing him to how Corrado integrated with the Wolves though so... He looks better than Connauton and he has only played a few games.
im sorry, i don't understand how you aren't comparing him with corrado when you said "The latter, to me, looks like he's on par or slightly below Corrado as far as potential from seeing how he has integrated with the Wolves."

that is, price v corrado. they both look better than connauton at this point

Old
03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
opendoor

Quote:
While I agree that the Canucks don't look at all like a legitimate contender, the shortened season is also throwing things out of whack. Here are the standings from about this point of last season:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...ate=12/13/2011

The two finalists weren't even in the playoff picture by the 30 game mark and the 3 best teams in terms of goal differential were all done in the 1st round. I wouldn't be the last bit surprised if we saw lower seeds find playoff success this year simply because a 48 game season isn't long enough to really determine who the best teams truly are.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
to me it sounded like Gillis thinks Booth won't be back, but didn't want to say that publicly.

When asked if he's planning on acquiring a winger he referred to Kassian and Higgins being back soon and that as such there wasn't a need. He did say they've been looking for a center but no trades were available.

Without Booth, we still have Sedin and Burrows on the top line, Raymond and Hansen on the 2nd and Higgins and Kassian on the 3rd, with Weise and Sestito rounding out the bottom line... and when discussing Jensen, it sounded like there is still a plan to bring him up later this year, after he's "adjusted to the North American game"

Looks to me like he's not interested in acquiring a winger because we're still covered there, not because he expects Booth back this year.
Plans to bring Jensen up later this year? I doubt that very much because this season is almost done. If things keep going the way they have been for Vancouver then they are going to be fighting every step of the way just to get into the playoffs. I don't see them bringing up a young kid who is still adjusting to the NA game. The only way we see Jensen this season is if the continue to be hit by injuries and have no other options.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
While I agree that the Canucks don't look at all like a legitimate contender, the shortened season is also throwing things out of whack. Here are the standings from about this point of last season:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...ate=12/13/2011

The two finalists weren't even in the playoff picture by the 30 game mark and the 3 best teams in terms of goal differential were all done in the 1st round. I wouldn't be the last bit surprised if we saw lower seeds find playoff success this year simply because a 48 game season isn't long enough to really determine who the best teams truly are.
what the **** is up with those goal differentials? there's no way those are accurate, is there?

edit: no it's literally impossible. whew

Old
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Plans to bring Jensen up later this year? I doubt that very much because this season is almost done. If things keep going the way they have been for Vancouver then they are going to be fighting every step of the way just to get into the playoffs. I don't see them bringing up a young kid who is still adjusting to the NA game. The only way we see Jensen this season is if the continue to be hit by injuries and have no other options.
what if Jensen does look like he's getting adjusted to the NA game, and earns himself a call-up? They gave Schroeder a chance this year, and by the sounds of it, Jensen is a lot more physically developed overall for the pro game.

When asked if Gillis had considered calling up Jensen when all these injuries came up, he said they did, but wanted him to get more adjusted to the NA game. While that may not happen as early as this year, I think it's too soon to write him off completely. We still have another 6 or so weeks of regular season hockey before the playoffs even come up... if Jensen is playing well 3-4 weeks down the road and looking like he's earned a call-up, I wouldn't be surprised to see him given a shot.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
MikeK

Quote:
what if Jensen does look like he's getting adjusted to the NA game, and earns himself a call-up? They gave Schroeder a chance this year, and by the sounds of it, Jensen is a lot more physically developed overall for the pro game.

When asked if Gillis had considered calling up Jensen when all these injuries came up, he said they did, but wanted him to get more adjusted to the NA game. While that may not happen as early as this year, I think it's too soon to write him off completely. We still have another 6 or so weeks of regular season hockey before the playoffs even come up... if Jensen is playing well 3-4 weeks down the road and looking like he's earned a call-up, I wouldn't be surprised to see him given a shot.
I think Jensen should have been up here from the start of the season. Or at the very least a head of Ebbett. AV is not a youngster friendly coach and the Canucks obviously have a plan in place for him or we probably would have seen him already. I still don't think we see him this season.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
schroeder is 22 years old and when he was DRAFTED he was considered one of the most NHL ready from a physical standpoint

Old
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Verviticus

nevermind

Old
03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
I'm sure they'd like to audition Jensen if only so they know where they are headed into training camp next season.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
opendoor

Quote:
what the **** is up with those goal differentials? there's no way those are accurate, is there?

edit: no it's literally impossible. whew
They're off by a little (not sure why), but they're definitely not so far off as to be impossible. In terms of the most extreme ones, here's what they actually were based on another standings by date page:

BOS: +41
DET: +30
VAN: +25
PHI: +24
NYR: +22

CBJ: -27
ANA: -28
CAR: -30

Old
03-22-2013, 01:24 PM
tantalum

Quote:
No problems. Either way it might shape up to be a nice draft year.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
They're off by a little (not sure why), but they're definitely not so far off as to be impossible. In terms of the most extreme ones, here's what they actually were based on another standings by date page:

BOS: +41
DET: +30
VAN: +25
PHI: +24
NYR: +22

CBJ: -27
ANA: -28
CAR: -30
no, i mean they're literally impossible in that they just dont add up. the sum of all the differentials was like +170

Old
03-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
im sorry, i don't understand how you aren't comparing him with corrado when you said "The latter, to me, looks like he's on par or slightly below Corrado as far as potential from seeing how he has integrated with the Wolves."

that is, price v corrado. they both look better than connauton at this point
I'm comparing their potential, but that doesn't mean I'm comparing what they did or how they looked at the AHL level (Price looks more mature, less overwhelmed physically, etc.). I accounted for the difference in age when I made my comparison which is why I responded to your post how I did.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
tantalum

Quote:
I think Jensen should have been up here from the start of the season. Or at the very least a head of Ebbett. AV is not a youngster friendly coach and the Canucks obviously have a plan in place for him or we probably would have seen him already. I still don't think we see him this season.
He was in Sweden. They had no chance to bring him over until his season was over which is what they did.

And I really wish we can stop with the AV doesn't like youngsters crap. It simply isn't true. Schroeder this year has averaged over 13 minutes a game. When he is having a good game he plays and plays a lot. When he's struggling his icetime suffers. Kassian is the same story. Tanev in his first pro year averaged nearly 14 minutes of icetime when with the canucks (last year over 16 minutes a night and this year over 17). He simply asks for a few things: 1) make as much if not more effort on the defensive side of things as you do the offensive things and have reasonable defensive awareness 2) learn from your mistakes and 3) put forth a strong effort each and every shift and each and every game until you have established yourself as a valuable part of the team and have earned a little bit of slack.

And that is how it should be when trying to crack the lineup of a playoff team.

Last edited by tantalum: 03-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
enuck
Relax and enjoy

Quote:
That would make more sense if AV had never developed young talent, if anything I would suggest AV knows exactly when to bring a young player into the line up seeing he was an excellent developmental coach in the AHL. If they're ready and it won't hinder their development, and/or the team's chance of winning, he'll put them in the line up.

Closed Thread