HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Apr 29: Tanev wearing a boot, Schneider practicing with team

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 12:00 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
It`s plain to see and its been this way for years now. It has lead to him breaking his hand and now is foot as well, who knows what else it has led to that he has played through (I recall a broken finger in the playoffs as well but I`m too lazy to check)

His technique leaves him vulnerable in that he hunches down with his hands by his side with his palms facing the puck, but that isn`t even the biggest problem. He leaves way to much room between himself and the puck which is terrible for two reasons. Lets the puck pick up speed and lets the puck rise. Forget a puck going at 100 miles, try it with a soccer ball. Stand 2 feet from someone and tell them to shoot it has hard as they can at you...it won't hurt at all. Now stand about 10/15 feet away and that thing can sting pretty badly.

Guys that know how to block shots are typically as close as they can be to the shooter (they don't even have to go down like this, Higgins is an expert in this regard), or if they have some type of gap they go down feet slightly first head back, or defencemen backing up tend to go sideways on one knee. Kesler technique is almost begging to get injured

He should never be used on the PK, this team has a lot of players that can play that role adequately.
Now I think you're right about the distance thing, but only because of the rise of the puck when it's shot and its potential to hit you in a dangerous area (up high). Though the velocity effectively remains the same no matter if you were standing a foot or 10 away from the shooter, so the force of the impact doesn't change. Soccer balls have too big a surface area to maintain the same velocity over the distance you mentioned, whereas it's different for a puck.

If it's his posture that makes him more susceptible to breaking something, couldn't they just teach him to use a better one?

Last edited by vanuck: 04-03-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
RewBicks

Quote:
His technique leaves him vulnerable in that he hunches down with his hands by his side with his palms facing the puck, but that isn`t even the biggest problem. He leaves way to much room between himself and the puck which is terrible for two reasons. Lets the puck pick up speed and lets the puck rise. Forget a puck going at 100 miles, try it with a soccer ball. Stand 2 feet from someone and tell them to shoot it has hard as they can at you...it won't hurt at all. Now stand about 10/15 feet away and that thing can sting pretty badly.
Yes, shot blockers should be as close as possible to the shooter in order to maximize their control over where the puck makes contact with their body.

However, this world in which objects pick up speed as time goes on without the beneficial effects of any other external force defies the laws of physics. Pucks attain their maximum velocity immediately after the stick makes contact.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:18 PM
BlackRedYellow

JAY JANOWER ‏@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC 46s
Ryan Kesler will NOT skate today with team. Does not have a time frame when he will skate with team. Says he's feeling better "no limp."

Old
04-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Grumbler

If Kesler skates this week its too fast, he needs to stop rushing. Give it another 2 weeks.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
KeninsFan
"Unintentional" Tank

vCash: 50
Kesler is at practice wearing shorts but took practice shots before everyone else hit the ice.

He should be in gear and on the ice for practice within a couple days.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:48 PM
NYVanfan

any chance Booth back for/by playoffs?

Old
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Only if we go on a deep run. Out until May at the least.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:20 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
If Kesler skates this week its too fast, he needs to stop rushing. Give it another 2 weeks.
I don't understand when people say he's rushing. How is he possibly rushing an injury that is almost 100% healed? Like I've said before, this isn't like a groin injury, or anything of the like.

If his foot is healed, it's healed. Kesler wouldn't be this close to skating if his foot wasn't healed yet - he simply wouldn't be able to skate, let alone want/be able to take the walking boot off.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I don't understand when people say he's rushing. How is he possibly rushing an injury that is almost 100% healed? Like I've said before, this isn't like a groin injury, or anything of the like.

If his foot is healed, it's healed. Kesler wouldn't be this close to skating if his foot wasn't healed yet - he simply wouldn't be able to skate, let alone want/be able to take the walking boot off.
I think at this point it's less of rushing the injury and more of rushing based on conditioning. He's not in game shape so he may be more susceptible to strains and pulls

Old
04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
based on what

Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy View Post
I think at this point it's less of rushing the injury and more of rushing based on conditioning. He's not in game shape so he may be more susceptible to strains and pulls
Now that I can agree with. Leaving Kesler out another week or two because of his foot, I don't agree with.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Wizeman*

Ryan should be playing by next tuesday. His foot is healed. He just needs to skate and practice a few times to get up to speed.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:48 PM
BoHorvatFan

Good burst of speed by Kassian.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:30 AM
medhatcanuck

anyone know the timeframe for Ballard, RayRay, and Wiese?

Old
04-05-2013, 12:37 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

I'm under the impression MayRay and Ballard should be back soon. IIRC, Ballard could play still if it was the playoffs, but it's just better for him to sit out and heal. MayRay's injury seemed to be just a day-to-day thing, and last I heard Weise was in a sling.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Amused To Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
If we could have a rolling Booth on our fourth line, he could be throwing some serious checks.

That would be a huge addition if he can come back in time.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Petey Cee
reel gud

Quote:
Lets the puck pick up speed and lets the puck rise.
What? Is there an engine or something in a puck? immediatley after a puck leaves the surface of a stick it starts to slow down.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
What? Is there an engine or something in a puck? immediatley after a puck leaves the surface of a stick it starts to slow down.
probably the same type of mixup people have about a "heavy shot" versus a "fast shot". i cant say much about the physics of a soccer ball because an inflatable ball is vastly different from a puck but he could be confusing a thing in soccer he's familiar with vs hockey

edit according to this pucks lose speed pretty quickly

i can't rip a piece of it unfortunately. page 76 (i dunno what page the link takes you to)

Last edited by Verviticus: 04-05-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
probably the same type of mixup people have about a "heavy shot" versus a "fast shot". i cant say much about the physics of a soccer ball because an inflatable ball is vastly different from a puck but he could be confusing a thing in soccer he's familiar with vs hockey

i can't rip a piece of it unfortunately. page 76 (i dunno what page the link takes you to)
That comment was quite a comical error, I'll chalk it up to working a night shift. Yeah makes sense that both the puck and ball should lose speed as they move forward, dumb mistake on my part.

However having played both sports at a pretty high level I'm familiar with being hit by both objects more than I care to remember. I actually have broken a carpal bone before from standing in front of the net on my own teammates point shot, so I know from experience the damage a puck can do. If you are a sweet spot of 10-15 feet away either object will hurt you, sometimes the soccer ball even more since it can hit you in the face easily from that distance (the worst is the side of the head when its cold out).

Old
04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
ARSix

Anyone know if Garrison's okay? Took a hit and stayed down right at the end of the game.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
The distance the puck travels is so small that velocity loss is negligible in the case of shot blocking.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Canadian Gold X3
Playoff Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
Anyone know if Garrison's okay? Took a hit and stayed down right at the end of the game.
He returned to the game after.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Stonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
He was out to congratulate Schneider with the rest of the team at the end of the game.

I take that as a good sign.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
nucksfan8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post

This is totally true, but his shot blocking still attributes to his injuries because he's so far from the shot he has no control of where it hits him, by being close you can limit damage because you utilize your shinpads rather than your whole body.

Also anyone know anything on Roy's injury history? Apparently he's been battling shoulder problems this year? Didn't really notice anything last night but just read it on the Dallas board in the trade thread.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
ARSix

There was a quote from Roy that he only really started feeling healthy a month or so ago. Looked just fine to me.

Closed Thread