HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Apr 29: Tanev wearing a boot, Schneider practicing with team

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Canucks are top 5 in league with man games lost to injury now. What the bleep. The 4 teams with more injuries sit below them in the standings. Canucks are doing really well with whatever lineup they've iced.

Hope they call Schroeder up vs moving Weise into top 9.
Surprised so many people are down on Weise. He has really been improving every year and is killing penalties now. People forget how young he is, only 24, I think he is going to be a solid 3rd line winger in this league. Hits, fights, works hard, skates well, and pops in the odd goal, sounds like a pretty decent 3rd line player.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
After Kesler and Booth returned from injury only to get re-injured again I kept calm. When AV was playing Alberts and Barker over Ballard I kept calm. When Luongo let 13 goals in 2 games against the Red Wings I kept calm. When our PP was at the absolute lowest and we couldn't score to save our lives I kept calm. When everyone was jumping off the bandwagon during our losing streak I kept calm. When deadline day had passed and our own fan base was writing the season off because we didn't acquire a bottom six forward and depth defencemen I kept calm. The playoffs are 3 weeks away and I will continue to remain calm.

If Higgins and Tanev aren't ready for the playoffs I'm going to lose it. Words cannot describe how pissed I will be at the Hockey Gods.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:56 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Surprised so many people are down on Weise. He has really been improving every year and is killing penalties now. People forget how young he is, only 24, I think he is going to be a solid 3rd line winger in this league. Hits, fights, works hard, skates well, and pops in the odd goal, sounds like a pretty decent 3rd line player.
I'm not down on Weise, he's a very solid 4th liner but underwater in possesion #'s. That to me means he's a solid 4th liner, not great 3rd liner. Schroeder's a solid possession player, better offensive upside - I'd call him up over moving Weise up.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:56 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
Or the 2013 Detroit Red Wings.

I know you guys are scared of the Wings but you really shouldn't be.
Looking at the last games we played against them, we should be. The rest of the Western Conference? Maybe not as much.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
After Kesler and Booth returned from injury only to get re-injured again I kept calm. When AV was playing Alberts and Barker over Ballard I kept calm. When Luongo let 13 goals in 2 games against the Red Wings I kept calm. When our PP was at the absolute lowest and we couldn't score to save our lives I kept calm. When everyone was jumping off the bandwagon during our losing streak I kept calm. When deadline day had passed and our own fan base was writing the season off because we didn't acquire a bottom six forward and depth defencemen I kept calm. The playoffs are 3 weeks away and I will continue to remain calm.

If Higgins and Tanev aren't ready for the playoffs I'm going to lose it. Words cannot describe how pissed I will be at the Hockey Gods.
Lol every team has injuries, it's hockey got to expect it.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:59 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post

I hear ya, I am with you. The hockey gods have hexed the Canucks last 5-7 yrs w/ injuries. Not only injuries, but injuries in bad times.

Malhotra gets eye injury after 2011 trade deadline. D. Sedin gets injured after last yrs trade deadline. Now Tanev/Higgy get injured after this yrs trade deadline. Hard to fill those spots out when you can no longer make trades.

Hockey gods are evil, evil entity's lately.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
[/B]

I hear ya, I am with you. The hockey gods have hexed the Canucks last 5-7 yrs w/ injuries. Not only injuries, but injuries in bad times.

Malhotra gets eye injury after 2011 trade deadline. D. Sedin gets injured after last yrs trade deadline. Now Tanev/Higgy get injured after this yrs trade deadline. Hard to fill those spots out when you can no longer make trades.

That's why GMs/coaches/players always say you have to get extremely lucky to win the cup. Teams like Chicago, LA, and Boston seem to have their key players relatively healthy.

One aspect I think is the Canucks travel schedule, that has to factor into injuries. Long plane rides siting idle and constantly travellong more than other teams has to be a factor as to why the Nucks are so oft-injured.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Orca Smash

Looks like justin faulk had a knee sprain, although it could be different from higgins, but he came back last night, and was announced to miss time on march 20th, anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661107

Old
04-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Smokey McCanucks

I have to think that it's more a case of the Canucks being comfortable in the standings right now than anything else. Tanev was hurt against Calgary, played the next game...Higgins was on at the end of the game against Phoenix. They were obviously playing hurt already, it's not a recent thing. It's just that with our spot in the standings looking pretty solid, there's no need to have guys playing hurt right now, take a few games and get healthy for the playoffs. We can afford to sit some guys down the stretch now with the good run we've been on, get Alberts and Barker and Pinizotto in there and sit anyone who needs a day or two off.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Canucks are top 5 in league with man games lost to injury now. What the bleep. The 4 teams with more injuries sit below them in the standings. Canucks are doing really well with whatever lineup they've iced.

Hope they call Schroeder up vs moving Weise into top 9.
I'd say we'd be in deep **** if the majority of those injuries were on the blueline (despite how badly some of them have been playing). Easier to insert plugs upfront than on D.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:27 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I'd say we'd be in deep **** if the majority of those injuries were on the blueline (despite how badly some of them have been playing). Easier to insert plugs upfront than on D.
Agreed. It's a lot easier to disguise a Weise, Ebbett etc with an increased role by playing them with two good players, whereas someone like Barker and Alberts don't exactly have that luxury, as their partner can't play both sides of the ice.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Lawzy

Quote:
[/B]

I'm surprised you mentioned injuries at bad times but didn't list Hamhuis or Kesler in the cup run.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:08 AM
David71

too many injuries. hope they just sit the next 9 games and get healthy for the playoffs.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:21 AM
Bo Hunter
Registered Schmoozer

vCash: 50
Crikey, it's a Chrises Crisis!

Old
04-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
With our luck that first round opponent is going to be a Stanley Cup-calibre team.
I'm pretty sure we've faced the two best(statistically and advanced metrics) 8th seeds the last two years in the first round. And lost to the two best goalie performances in the last decade.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:12 AM
Numbers

Van fans are pretty funny at how we panic so easy lol. Sounds like the sky is falling when our 5th best defenceman and 8th best forward gets hurt. The media has got everyone so manipulated here. Vancouver is lucky right now, because there are other teams with top end talent hurt.

For example:

Pittsburgh: Crosby, Neal, Letang, Martin
Ottawa: Karlsson, Spezza, Cowen, Michalek
Boston: Begeron
Toronto: Lupul
Minnesota: Heatley
Chicago: Bolland
New Jersey: Kovalchuk
New York R: Staal
St. Louis: Halak

That is 9 playoff teams missing star talent from their teams. All these players have a much greater impact on their respectable clubs, then Tanev + Higgins do on the Canucks. Canucks in fact are in better health than more than half of the teams in the playoff race. I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath and stop feeling sorry for themselves. I'm not sure if its just me but its a lot harder to complain about Vancouvers injuries after looking at that list!

Old
04-10-2013, 03:15 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
That's why GMs/coaches/players always say you have to get extremely lucky to win the cup. Teams like Chicago, LA, and Boston seem to have their key players relatively healthy.

One aspect I think is the Canucks travel schedule, that has to factor into injuries. Long plane rides siting idle and constantly travellong more than other teams has to be a factor as to why the Nucks are so oft-injured.
Definitely agree about the luck part regarding injuries. Both Bos and LA were 2 of the healthiest teams in the Cup finals that I've seen in a longgg time.

Might be the travel thing, probably has something to do with it. This team has consistently been in the top of the league w/ MGL - there's got to be a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
This year, for sure. They don't have the depth on the back end, esp on the right side. I still can't believe Gillis didn't sign a nother righty d-man this past summer. It's mind blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
I'm surprised you mentioned injuries at bad times but didn't list Hamhuis or Kesler in the cup run.
Ya, that list is too long to type out. It's shorter to the list the players who weren't injured on the Cup final run. I meant the timeframe between the trade deadline and beginning of playoffs. They just get plagued with injuries during that short timeframe every yr. It's crazy.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
I'm pretty sure we've faced the two best(statistically and advanced metrics) 8th seeds the last two years in the first round. And lost to the two best goalie performances in the last decade.
So what, every team that doesn't win the cup loses to the eventual champion. It doesn't make a difference what round it happens in. Stop crying about spilt milk lol.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:33 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Van fans are pretty funny at how we panic so easy lol. Sounds like the sky is falling when our 5th best defenceman and 8th best forward gets hurt. The media has got everyone so manipulated here. Vancouver is lucky right now, because there are other teams with top end talent hurt.

For example:

Pittsburgh: Crosby, Neal, Letang, Martin
Ottawa: Karlsson, Spezza, Cowen, Michalek
Boston: Begeron
Toronto: Lupul
Minnesota: Heatley
Chicago: Bolland
New Jersey: Kovalchuk
New York R: Staal
St. Louis: Halak

That is 9 playoff teams missing star talent from their teams. All these players have a much greater impact on their respectable clubs, then Tanev + Higgins do on the Canucks. Canucks in fact are in better health than more than half of the teams in the playoff race. I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath and stop feeling sorry for themselves. I'm not sure if its just me but its a lot harder to complain about Vancouvers injuries after looking at that list!
Pretty sure people are concerned cause it's 'another injury' to add onto the long list of injuries this team has had all season. 5th in the league with man games lost this yr. The 4 teams with more injuries, are sitting below Canucks in the standings.

Higgins is hardly their 9th best forward. He's tied for 2nd overall on the team in goals scored and plays the toughest minutes each game outside of the Sedin line. There's a reason why AV looked like he was about to cry when announcing Higgy was injured today.

And boo hoo that Boston lost Bergeron for 3 games. Canucks have been without their 'Bergeron' for 31 games. Bos is still bottom of league with MGL. In fact, every team you mentioned outside of Ottawa have fewer MGL than Canucks.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
So what, every team that doesn't win the cup loses to the eventual champion. It doesn't make a difference what round it happens in. Stop crying about spilt milk lol.
Ummm no.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:53 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Pretty sure people are concerned cause it's 'another injury' to add onto the long list of injuries this team has had all season. 5th in the league with man games lost this yr. The 4 teams with more injuries, are sitting below Canucks in the standings.

Higgins is hardly their 9th best forward. He's tied for 2nd overall on the team in goals scored and plays the toughest minutes each game outside of the Sedin line. There's a reason why AV looked like he was about to cry when announcing Higgy was injured today.

And boo hoo that Boston lost Bergeron for 3 games. Canucks have been without their 'Bergeron' for 31 games. Bos is still bottom of league with MGL. In fact, every team you mentioned outside of Ottawa have fewer MGL than Canucks.
Well I said 8th best, check out your quote, and you can make an argument for being 7th best. I put Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Roy, Hansen ahead of him, Raymond and Higgins are close in my opinion. But hey lets say 7th. Team is in a good position going into playoffs, real fans who understand hockey need to get this "whoa is me me" attitude out of them it is pathetic. Band wagoners don't know anything and are stupid, so I don't expect anything from them. If there is such thing as good Karma, the best thing team/fans can do is stop feeling sorry for themselves, suck it up and play some hockey. Who knows maybe Canucks will get some better luck, rather having this Boo Hoo mentality about everything that goes wrong. Man up, best time of the year is almost here, lets have some fun!

Last edited by Numbers: 04-10-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old
04-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Ummm no.
Or they lose to a team worse lol

Old
04-10-2013, 04:01 AM
Lawzy

Quote:
Or they lose to a team worse lol
Ummm no.

Match ups play a huge role.

If team X beats Y, and Y beats Z it does not mean X > Z.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:09 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Well I said 8th best, check out your quote, and you can make an argument for being 7th best. I put Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Roy, Hansen ahead of him, Raymond and Higgins are close in my opinion. But hey lets say 7th. Team is in a good position going into playoffs, real fans who understand hockey need to get this "whoa is me me" attitude out of them it is pathetic. Band wagoners don't know anything and are stupid, so I don't expect anything from them. If there is such thing as good Karma, the best thing team/fans can do is stop feeling sorry for themselves, suck it up and play some hockey. Who knows maybe Canucks will get some better luck, rather having this Boo Hoo mentality about everything that goes wrong. Man up, best time of the year is almost here, lets have some fun!
Oh man, I can see where this one is going. "Real fans", "whoa is me". The old 'fake fans' argument is perhaps one of the funniest retorts I've seen in a long time. Used as rebuttal cause said person has nothing else to back up their argument so they throw out insults. Please, this is reality. The team is 5th in league with MGL, key players have been injured for significant periods of time - year after year. People get concerned. It happens.

Also not sure how a forward who is tied for 2nd in goals scored and plays the 4th toughest mins (behind on the Sedin line) is considered the 7th or 8th best forward. Interesting analysis.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:04 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
Ummm no.

Match ups play a huge role.

If team X beats Y, and Y beats Z it does not mean X > Z.
Exactly. It's why playoff 'luck' not only involves staying healthy but getting good/favourable matchups too.

Closed Thread