HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part VI: Lacking Wingers, "We Lay Waste Our Powers"

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
DegenX
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Rossi and his internet buddies strike again.

That article is 100% garbage, guys. No real reporting involved at all, just idle speculation and names that are great Internet click-bait. Rossi doesn't even pay attention to his own comments. Says himself Letang might be extremely difficult to sign as he may warrant a $7M hit, then turns around and suggests we're going to trade Despres (arguably ALREADY a better D than Johnson), to get a floundering offensive D from Columbus (a guy who himself will not be cheap long-term) to pair with Letang? A guy who had huge chances to succeed on a team that became the Cup champions, and failed to stick? Makes 0 sense.

Honestly... I doubt Rossi himself believes a word of that. He's trolling you guys, period. It makes him money when his articles get loads of clicks at deadline time.

Rossi is an idiot, has 0.0 inside information on trades, and is trolling / manipulating some of you bigtime. You would do the whole forum a favor not to post any of his trade deadline BS unless it's backed up by other media, specifically TSN or ESPN (LeBrun). Being backed up by TIoPS or Madden doesn't count.

Jack Johnson is the last thing we need. And no Shero doesn't give a **** if he used to be Sid's BFF.

And this is the winger thread.

... and we know this is your homework, Rossi.

More likely CBJ was at the game looking at someone on the Pens. Please, let it be TK

Old
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Plaid: News? Why, had you heard something from a legit source about Buffalo? I haven't heard anything that suggests Buffalo and Pittsburgh are scouting each other's games.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
People are pretty ridiculous over JJ. He's an adventure in his own end - absolutely not what we need.

I'd keep Despres over him 100%.
I tend to agree.

I'm not one to make too much of +/- but JJ's is pretty alarming.

2006-07 - 5
2007-08 - 19
2008-09 - 18
2009-10 - 15
2010-11 - 21
2011-12 a - 12 in LA, +5 in Columbus.
2012-13 - 10

^ Good lord.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Quote:
Plaid: News? Why, had you heard something from a legit source about Buffalo? I haven't heard anything that suggests Buffalo and Pittsburgh are scouting each other's games.
Nah just thought since their season took a turn for the worse they could be looking for a deal. Just noticed they won their last 3 out of 4 though.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Common Sense

Quote:
There are exceptions to every rule. Iggy is the exception to the old guy rule because he's an exceptional player. No one would complain about that obviously (unless it was a bad overpayment). I wonder though if Shero would require a contract extension to be in place ahead of time. Worst thing in the world (and could easily see it happening) is we trade good assets for Iggy, and he goes right back to Calgary this summer. Ray Whitney did that once or twice with the Hurricanes if I remember right.
I don't recall Whitney ever doing that. I don't think Iginla would do that either, he's a class act.

I think Prospal would work but I'd only want him if we can't get Iginla at the deadline.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Nah just thought since their season took a turn for the worse they could be looking for a deal. Just noticed they won their last 3 out of 4 though.
Thing about Buffalo is they're not that far from being a really competitive team and they've got a new owner dedicated to the cause so anytime they're close to a playoff run I see them being a buyer and not a seller.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:36 AM
SHOOTANDSCORE
Eeny Meeny Miny Moe

Quote:

That article is 100% garbage, guys. No real reporting involved at all, just idle speculation and names that are great Internet click-bait. Rossi doesn't even pay attention to his own comments. Says himself Letang might be extremely difficult to sign as he may warrant a $7M hit, then turns around and suggests we're going to trade Despres (arguably ALREADY a better D than Johnson), to get a floundering offensive D from Columbus (a guy who himself will not be cheap long-term) to pair with Letang? A guy who had huge chances to succeed on a team that became the Cup champions, and failed to stick? Makes 0 sense.

Honestly... I doubt Rossi himself believes a word of that. He's trolling you guys, period. It makes him money when his articles get loads of clicks at deadline time.

Rossi is an idiot, has 0.0 inside information on trades, and is trolling / manipulating some of you bigtime. You would do the whole forum a favor not to post any of his trade deadline BS unless it's backed up by other media, specifically TSN or ESPN (LeBrun). Being backed up by TIoPS or Madden doesn't count.

Jack Johnson is the last thing we need. And no Shero doesn't give a **** if he used to be Sid's BFF.

Exactly. If Shero made that move I'd send him for a mental evaluation.

Sounds like Rossi's source was Craig Patrick's cab driver.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I tend to agree.

I'm not one to make too much of +/- but JJ's is pretty alarming.

2006-07 - 5
2007-08 - 19
2008-09 - 18
2009-10 - 15
2010-11 - 21
2011-12 a - 12 in LA, +5 in Columbus.
2012-13 - 10

^ Good lord.
Here's a newsflash in case anyone has been living under a rock the last few years: Jack Johnson has not proven himself to be a good NHL defender in any capacity, despite being on a very solid team for a few years. They let him go for a reason.

If anything, Jarmo is looking for draft picks to build his team, in a deep draft year. He's going to load up on F talent the first two rounds. So if they want to send us Johnson for a 3rd round pick and Tyler Kennedy, fine. But other than moves like that, Jack Johnson isn't close to being worth a Despres or a Bennett or even a Cooke right now.

There is literally not a single player on that roster with as much upside and value as Despres, except for Brassard maybe and he's not going anywhere / is a natural C anyway. CBJ is bordering on an AHL team right now. Not only that but their biggest assets, are D prospects. So that article is Full Rossi in every way, shape and form. Other than the Iggy mentions, none of it makes sense from a personnel standpoint.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

I agree with all of this. That said, I've been beating the drum for "we have no idea what Jarmo/JD want to do", so I guess I have to allow that perhaps JMFJ might be moved. It just doesn't seem likely.

I will dispute your contention that Prospal doesn't have much value. He might not take much to acquire, but he could be a good piece for the Pens. He's not fleet of foot, but he's still playing the game with smarts, skill and passion.

Hard to say whether the CBJ braintrust might have interest in TK, but I'd say most fans don't, myself included. When he's playing well, though, he could slot in on the second line here. Less than ideal, maybe, but so is the current CBJ situation at forward.

Quote:
Here's a newsflash in case anyone has been living under a rock the last few years: Jack Johnson has not proven himself to be a good NHL defender in any capacity, despite being on a very solid team for a few years. They let him go for a reason.

If anything, Jarmo is looking for draft picks to build his team, in a deep draft year. He's going to load up on F talent the first two rounds. So if they want to send us Johnson for a 3rd round pick and Tyler Kennedy, fine. But other than moves like that, Jack Johnson isn't close to being worth a Despres or a Bennett or even a Cooke right now.

There is literally not a single player on that roster with as much upside and value as Despres, except for Brassard maybe and he's not going anywhere / is a natural C anyway. CBJ is bordering on an AHL team right now. Not only that but their biggest assets, are D prospects. So that article is Full Rossi in every way, shape and form. Other than the Iggy mentions, none of it makes sense from a personnel standpoint.
I would trade Brassard for Despres right now. I think your value on Brassard is off. JJ is a more valuable piece (in a vacuum).

CBJ fans have a love affair with JJ because of his passion and upbeat attitude in the midst of the life-sucking season that was last year. He showed competitive spirit and a dedication to the team and city. The love affair was boosted by solid play, improved in his own end as well. All that said, I think his play has not measured up to that love this season, but he's hardly a lost cause. So while I've cooled to him, I would be pretty upset if he was moved for TK and a pick. And if I were the Pens' braintrust, I would certainly not entertain trading Despres or Bennett for JJ.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 03-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Quote:

Hence why this deal will be done

Old
03-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

There is really only one player from Columbus that interests me, and that's their AHL scoring leader Jonathan Audy-Marchessault. Skilled, creative, slick, shoots right, can play either wing. It'd take something to get him, I'm sure, but he would help us (assuming we change coaches and start appreciating players with brains).

Old
03-05-2013, 10:44 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
2005:
Crosby: How about getting me a wing.
Patrick: Dude, we got you covered. Ever hear of Ziggy Palffy? All yours man.

2006:
Crosby: About that wing? Malkin got Malon.
Shero: Colby Armstrong. I’ve got you covered man.

2007:
Crosby: Wing!?
Shero: OK this time I really do have you covered. Just traded for Hossa and I am going to sign him for life!

2008:
Crosby: What the **** man?
Shero: His name is Pascal Dupuis. You are going to love him, trust me.

2009:
Crosby: I am really going to hurt you.
Shero: Have I ever told you that Dupuis is French Canadian?

2010:
Crosby: I mean seriously, a huge kick in the balls.
Shero: They call him Super Duper.

2011:
Crosby: You gave Malkin James ****ing Neal?
Shero: Super Duper looks kind of like a puppy dog with those droopy eyes, doesn’t he? How can you not like puppies?

2012:
Crosby: Shero? Finally a wing.
Shero: Yes, his name is Jack Johnson. Well not exactly a wing. He is your buddy right?
*the sound of Crosby kicking a baby can be heard in the background*
Malkin didn't have Malone in 2006. He had Staal and Ouellet. Sid had Malone and Recchi. Now, that doesn't change the gist of your case, but in the interest of fairness . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This would be hilarious if it weren't for the fact it's such a true illustration of Crosby's linemates situation over the entirety of his Pens career.

Shero could be forgiven with one trade *cough*Perry*cough*Iginla*cough*anyonethatisntagri nder*cough*
Scary part is, outside of last year, Sid's **** for wingers has been light years ahead of Geno's **** for wingers.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Malkin didn't have Malone in 2006. He had Staal and Ouellet. Sid had Malone and Recchi. Now, that doesn't change the gist of your case, but in the interest of fairness . . .

Scary part is, outside of last year, Sid's **** for wingers has been light years ahead of Geno's **** for wingers.
I remember the good ol' days...

John LeClair-Sidney Crosby-Mark Recchi
Ryan Malone-Mario Lemieux-Zigmund Palffy

That seems like a couple of centuries ago!

Old
03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
People are pretty ridiculous over JJ. He's an adventure in his own end - absolutely not what we need.

I'd keep Despres over him 100%.
Well then he'll fit right in . . .

Can't imagine RS moving Despres. Niskanen and say Fin Maatta to the Fin GM, I could see.

Quote:
Prospal would be of little help to us IMO. He's on his last legs. The time for old guys and rentals is over. Shero is hopefully looking at longer-term solutions to our depth issues, not guys who "might do an OK job" of plugging holes for a couple months (or might not). I think CBJ are probably his "safety play" if other deals don't work out. They have very little to offer short of Umberger with some of his cap hit removed. Very little.
I could see Umberger if Columbus ate enough cap hit to get his number under 3.5M.

Also could see Derek Dorsett. Adds grit to the bottom six. Plus, he's James Neal's BFF.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:50 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

Palffy was so underrated. He was like the Big Hoss without the skating ability.

By the way, Edzo says you have the first line wrong. It's Leclair-Recchi-Crosby. I think those were some of the darkest days for me. When Edzo honestly though it was best to put Crosby on the wing and let a past-his-prime Recchi take faceoffs and handle those D responsibilities.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
KIRK

Quote:

Those were the good old days compared to what came just before the lockout.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Well then he'll fit right in . . .

Can't imagine RS moving Despres. Niskanen and say Fin Maatta to the Fin GM, I could see.

Also could see Derek Dorsett. Adds grit to the bottom six. Plus, he's James Neal's BFF.
That's the only thing that makes sense to me too. All that would be based on the new GM not liking Johnson and wanting to swap him for a cheaper PMD in Niskanen and a top prospect in Maatta. Maybe they'll even take TK too.

I'd like to pry Dorsett away but that's unlikely. We could use a gritty guy like him.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post

By the way, Edzo says you have the first line wrong. It's Leclair-Recchi-Crosby. I think those were some of the darkest days for me. When Edzo honestly though it was best to put Crosby on the wing and let a past-his-prime Recchi take faceoffs and handle those D responsibilities.
Well, in Edzo's defense, we have a coach now who once thought it was a bright idea to have Mike Comrie center Evgeni Malkin.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

If we go anywhere near another defenseman who is not Hal Gill, Greg Zanon, Douglas Murray or any other veteran UFA-to-be stay-at-home shot-blocking, crease-clearing mofo, I will get severely pissed.

Seriously, wtf! This has nothing to do with Jack Johnson, per se. He's a Paul Martin for another team. He seems to have embraced being a Blue Jacket, which is commendable. But honestly, what the hell does he do for us?

The more we talk about needing DIFFERENT types of players, the more rumors surface about us acquiring the same old, same old. And in the case of Kostopoulos, it was more than rumor.

Memo to Ray Shero: We don't need anymore mobile defensemen that can't defend or grinding forwards that can't score.

Thanks.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:54 AM
KIRK

Quote:
If we go anywhere near another defenseman who is not Hal Gill, Greg Zanon, Douglas Murray or any other veteran UFA-to-be stay-at-home shot-blocking, crease-clearing mofo, I will get severely pissed.

Seriously, wtf! This has nothing to do with Jack Johnson, per se. He's a Paul Martin for another team. He seems to have embraced being a Blue Jacket, which is commendable. But honestly, what the hell does he do for us?

The more we talk about needing DIFFERENT types of players, the more rumors surface about us acquiring the same old, same old. And in the case of Kostopoulos, it was more than rumor.

Memo to Ray Shero: We don't need anymore mobile defensemen that can't defend or grinding forwards that can't score.

Thanks.
Which is why the deal for JJ and Dorsett is imminent . . . K5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
More likely CBJ was at the game looking at someone on the Pens. Please, let it be TK
They needed their GM, their Asst GM, and a sober Craig Patrick to figure out that Kennedy sucks?

Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post

Yikes, I had forgotten about that debacle.

Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Which is why the deal for JJ and Dorsett is imminent . . . K5.
LOL, K5...oh the ego!

Old
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Yikes, I had forgotten about that debacle.
Watching Erik Christensen center Sid for a game will do that to the relatively less noxious moves like Recchi taking a faceoff for Sid.

Quote:
LOL, K5...oh the ego!

Ego? I keep my rumors free for the masses. Try charitable.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
They needed their GM, their Asst GM, and a sober Craig Patrick to figure out that Kennedy sucks?
To be fair, the Pens have that same personnel PLUS their coaching staff in the building every night and still can't figure that out...

Old
03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Well, in Edzo's defense, we have a coach now who once thought it was a bright idea to have Mike Comrie center Evgeni Malkin.
The personnel in question makes me shudder, as well as all the debates on this board about how it shouldn't matter what position Malkin plays

Closed Thread