HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News From Around the League - Part XXXIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
$8.25 cap hit? Geeeez.
Term limits mean you can't tack on low years anymore. Players are still going to want (and get from other teams) the money so you will see higher cap hits

Old
03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
CerebralGenesis

I instantly went from hoping we get Perry somehow and getting the money to work to wanting to just trade for Iginla and re-signing him for 1 or 2 years at a normal salary.

Perry is going to want a lot of money and I dunno if that makes sense from our end during the bidding war. This includes the potential auction for Perry at the deadline and the cost to re-sign him this summer. It's going to be expensive. Let the big guys swing for that and get an Iginla or something.

Unless we keep losing, then I don't care anyway.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

They are not trading him at the deadline and we are not signing him in the offseason. That much is clear.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
CerebralGenesis

Lou wouldn't move him but I dunno if Murray will operate the same, regardless of standings. He has come out and said they are not losing Perry for nothing. I've got no reason to not believe him. At worst they re up him and trade Bobby Ryan eventually.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
downtown56

mirtle: Some around league expect Perry to get more than $9-million AAV on open market. Was always going to be harder for Ducks to re-sign.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:46 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Lou wouldn't move him but I dunno if Murray will operate the same, regardless of standings. He has come out and said they are not losing Perry for nothing. I've got no reason to not believe him. At worst they re up him and trade Bobby Ryan eventually.
I was watching Sportsnet last week and someone on that pannel said that Murray wasn't going to lose Perry for nothing when they lost Schultz for free last year. I don't remember who said it but I can see Murray moving him for a hefty package.

No everyone operates the "New Jersey Devils" way.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
mirtle: Some around league expect Perry to get more than $9-million AAV on open market. Was always going to be harder for Ducks to re-sign.
The days of back loaded contracts are over and stars want to be paid regardless.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Richer's Ghost
This guy can coach

vCash: 369
Quote:
Jordan Clarke @yyjordan
If Ryan Getzlaf doesn't live up to that contract there's going to be hell toupée.
Brilliance.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Mike Brophy ‏@HockeyBroph
Brian Burke on Leafs success this year: "Sometimes you do the hard work and set the table and somebody else eats the meal."

Old
03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Brian Burke on Leafs success this year: "Sometimes you do the hard work and set the table and somebody else eats the meal."

Not that I entirely disagree either. But I am definitely going to use that line.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:10 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Absolutely agree.

Brian Burke would be my #1 candidate when Lou decides to "hang'em" up.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

We can forget Perry now, as he'll think that he's worth just as much on the open market.

So...who's up for Bobby Ryan via a trade?

Old
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Absolutely agree.

Brian Burke would be my #1 candidate when Lou decides to "hang'em" up.
No thanks, he's terrible.

While he did build a solid foundation of players for the team, he also made some horrid trades, and a lot of horrible signings. His biggest mistake though was allowing Wilson to stay, and then extend him. Combine that with the fact that he based a lot of his player moves off of what Wilson wanted, opposed to his original plans, and he had a real mess on his hands.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I like this realignment for purely selfish reasons. Columbus in New Jersey's division means I get to go to a bunch of Devils games a year now.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige14 View Post

While he did build a solid foundation of players for the team, he also made some horrid trades, and a lot of horrible signings. His biggest mistake though was allowing Wilson to stay, and then extend him. Combine that with the fact that he based a lot of his player moves off of what Wilson wanted, opposed to his original plans, and he had a real mess on his hands.
And you don't think that the Kessel was "pushed" by the owners, in order to speed things a little so they can pocket some playoff revenu? The Leafs brought in a guy that knew how to shake things up and who better then Brian Burke to do that. He probably knew he had to hurry up the process to please his superior and I honestly think that if he was in another market, he wouldn't of acted the same way he did when managing the Leafs.

Brian Burke is a smart guy who made certain mistakes in the past but who didn't. Are you telling me that Lou never made a mistake in his entire career?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

One thing I'd be afraid of with Burke. He'd bring all his coaches to Jersey that he usually brings in. Like Carlyle and Francois Allaire.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:08 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

plus, to me, he has always come off as a blow hard and a dbag. i'd much prefer he never, ever be associated with this team in any way, ever.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Leafs are going to crash hard at some point. Maybe their luck will stick around long enough to make the playoffs, but don't expect them to go anywhere.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
apice3*

Random, but in case you forgot:

Chris Pronger is under contract for 4 more years after this one.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:

He's not terrible at all. Look at the most recent teams he's been associated with and what they've accomplished (and now Toronto is turning it around as well with a roster he built entirely on his own). Sedin, Sedin, and Kesler in Vancouver are a direct result of Burke and they're the foundation of the team that went to the finals. He obviously won the cup with the Ducks. Now it will be interesting to see where Toronto goes with the core that he put together, but you can't deny that they're improving.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
He actually has a point.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
And you don't think that the Kessel was "pushed" by the owners, in order to speed things a little so they can pocket some playoff revenu? The Leafs brought in a guy that knew how to shake things up and who better then Brian Burke to do that. He probably knew he had to hurry up the process to please his superior and I honestly think that if he was in another market, he wouldn't of acted the same way he did when managing the Leafs.

Brian Burke is a smart guy who made certain mistakes in the past but who didn't. Are you telling me that Lou never made a mistake in his entire career?
I don't think he was pushed by the owner directly, I believe he was hired because he promised a quick turn around. He even said when he took over, and then made the Kessel trade, that the team was one or two players from being a contender. 4 Years later they still had never made the playoffs. He has some strong qualities for sure, but he's a blowhard and that has always been his downfall. Does loudmouth, egotistical jackass seem like a perfect fit for the Devils to anyone?

As someone else mention as well, we'd get stuck with Allaire or something as well, who would ruin our goalies because he's a dinosaur who will only accept his style and nothing else.

Yes, Toronto right now is "his team", but a lot of the guys who are playing very well for them he had buried in the minors before. He chose to push for guys like Komisarek and Connoly to play over Holzer and Komarov. His asset management has been poor at best.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I like this realignment for purely selfish reasons. Columbus in New Jersey's division means I get to go to a bunch of Devils games a year now.
At least you and RG are happy and I`m happy for you.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Cowbell232

I'm okay with being able to travel to Columbus for games, actually. Great place to watch a hockey game. Good arena, good local bars, fun times.

03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
I don't think he was pushed by the owner directly, I believe he was hired because he promised a quick turn around. He even said when he took over, and then made the Kessel trade, that the team was one or two players from being a contender. 4 Years later they still had never made the playoffs. He has some strong qualities for sure, but he's a blowhard and that has always been his downfall. Does loudmouth, egotistical jackass seem like a perfect fit for the Devils to anyone?

As someone else mention as well, we'd get stuck with Allaire or something as well, who would ruin our goalies because he's a dinosaur who will only accept his style and nothing else.

Yes, Toronto right now is "his team", but a lot of the guys who are playing very well for them he had buried in the minors before. He chose to push for guys like Komisarek and Connoly to play over Holzer and Komarov. His asset management has been poor at best.

Komisarek is our Volchenkov and Connolly was actually a solid player.... who's made out of glass. Signing Connolly was a risky thing to do but when you don't have a #1 or even a #2 center, you're stuck at the wrong side of the barganing table.

Everyone makes mistakes and the biggest mistakes that are made usually happen during free agency. Don't forget, we also have our track record of signing "big name" UFA's who bombed pretty badly as well.

Closed Thread