HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kirill Kabanov

Old
02-25-2013, 07:17 PM
KeepitinPitt

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Kirill Kabanov

It's been a while since I've seen him play but I liked his game, and always wanted to see him on the Pens. Can any Islanders fans (and prospect gurus) give me their thoughts on him and what he might bring back in a trade? Thanks!

Side Note: I just saw a recent picture of him. Did he get fat or has he just bulked up in general? Nice neck tat by the way.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt View Post
It's been a while since I've seen him play but I liked his game, and always wanted to see him on the Pens. Can any Islanders fans (and prospect gurus) give me their thoughts on him and what he might bring back in a trade? Thanks!

Side Note: I just saw a recent picture of him. Did he get fat or has he just bulked up in general? Nice neck tat by the way.
The 20 yr old has missed almost all of his rookie season, after getting his arm cut by a skate.

6'3 Kabanov has shown a willingness to do the dirty, physical work of fighting for loose pucks. Good speed. I'd like to see more offense out of him His trade value won't be high, so I doubt the isles would shop him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 PM
xECK29x

He still has high potential but is still at very low value trade wise. Isles will give him a season or two to see what he has.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Hipster Doofus

As stated, missed loads of time from a sliced wrist. Hes not a guy whose gonna win games on his own but hes agile, great stick control/puck handling, and uses his size and skill to protect the puck down low. Good shot in open space, likes to draw defenders and slip passes to teammates. Hes probably more valuable to develop given his commitment to the team and vice versa. His skillset and play style should translate well to the NHL but hes not gonna return a great package.

That being said, NHL scouts have warmed up to him and how hes developed since being drafted. I just think the Isles hold onto him. Hes also been great with the fans, something the Isles value.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:13 PM
SI90

Hes talented and has not played becaus eof injuries...his value is very low brcause he has had few games pro...isles are in no rush to part with him....He was a low risk High reward pick.....

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Thanks for the replies. That's a shame about his injuries, I hope he can put them all behind him and stay healthy from here on out. I've always been intrigued with his potential, and was hoping the Isles might be willing to move him for a decent return, but after reading the comments here it definitely makes sense to sit on him and see how he develops.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Acallabeth

6th round pick.
To remember what his dad used to say...

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:17 AM
LotteryForLife*

This is the biggest boom or bust guy we may have ever had. His trade value would never equate to the star he could be if he ever got it right. He shows glimpses of stardom at times but between bad luck and whatever else is holding this kid back, it's still unlikely he will ever reach his full potential. Only an overpayment would get the Isles to give up on him

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:19 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
This is the biggest boom or bust guy we may have ever had. His trade value would never equate to the star he could be if he ever got it right. He shows glimpses of stardom at times but between bad luck and whatever else is holding this kid back, it's still unlikely he will ever reach his full potential. Only an overpayment would get the Isles to give up on him
I disagree.

He's 6'3 and plays with a physical edge. Even if his scoring is not good enough for a top 6 spot, his size, physical play and aggressive boardwork would make him a good bet for a 3rd line spot.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:10 AM
entropism

Quote:
This is the biggest boom or bust guy we may have ever had.
Pretty sure I'd put Brett Lindros or Mike Rupp in that category, NOT a safe bet of a 3rd rounder for a 1st round talent with "personality issues". Glad to see he's been maturing nicely.

entropism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
The thing is he's not even that boom or bust. His game is well suited for a complimentary role. If PAP can make it in the NHL, KK can. He's basically that same kind of playmaking RH shot but way more athletic, skilled, and multidimensional.

Before his dad pulled him out of juniors this guy played like Ovechkin, a threatening sniper in transition. Since being drafted he's remodeled his game into a puck distributor. If he was still playing like he was at 17, he'd be pretty boom or bust. But considering this guy won a memorial cup as the team's best player despite "modest" production (not unlike Cizikas), I'm not sure he's really a boom or bust pick anymore. His upside may be capped, but he should still project as a potential top 6/9 NHL RW.

I agree, it would take an NHL team really liking him. I think its best for them to stick with their guy. He's towed teh company line and I like that he's been an off-ice presence with the fans everywhere he goes. He's such a unique character, and a pretty good talent, not worth flipping. I'd love to see this guy play some roller hockey in Brooklyn too.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:56 AM
seabass45

He won't be the centerpiece of any trade but if there's a package deal to be made, he might be in it.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:37 PM
bluechipbonzo

Jay and Mario say the Islanders are very high on KK.

The other Kirill, sadly, not so much.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:44 PM
blinkman360
Norris

I don't see the Isles moving him. Nothing to do with his value, I just see the Isles moving one or two of their valuable forward prospects(Nelson/Nino/etc) in the offseason/deadline and will probably want to hold onto guys like Kabanov and Sundstrom so they can provide us a little bit of depth in the AHL.

Or I could be way off, and the Isles will continue to do nothing but draft and develop.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
luki here

for a late first i would send him packing. sucks, cause he is a good 2 way player who could still put it together scoring-wise, but we need ammunition for the blockbusters. But i am guessing nobody would give that up for an unproven talent like him.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
patrick

Isles would take a high third for him but unlikely that anyone would offer that.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:20 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
Isles would take a high third for him but unlikely that anyone would offer that.
definitely wouldnt do that. we stole him with a third and he has been developing nicely. His stock has increased, not decreased.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
bluechipbonzo

Maybe a high second, but not for a third...doesn't make any sense. The Islanders have several draftees that are close to the point where we'll know what they are. Guys like Kabanov are worth holding onto and aren't going anywhere in a swap for a draft pick.

Now, if another team insists on KK being included in a deal, that's another story.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:36 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Sold! Quick, somebody alert Dave nonis!

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
CodeE

His value has definitely increased since draft day. All those complaints about what an immature prima donna he is? Islander fans haven't heard a peep out of him on that front. Nino and Lubo have been the whiners.

Islanders took a chance on Casey Cizikas despite his history and he's turned into an effective NHL player with serious bottom-6 skills. Took a chance on Kabanov despite his history and Islanders fans aren't so quick to forget that there was in fact a time where he was considered a top-3 pick. That kind of attitude, combined with Kabanov's professional attitude, make me wanna see what he can do at the NHL level before shipping him off.

That being said, if you wanna offer up a young minute-eating defenseman and want Kabanov as part of the package coming back the other way, then Kabanov becomes a lot more available. But I wouldn't expect a straight trade for a pick unless something happens behind the scenes and SnoWang want to get rid of him.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:42 PM
entropism

So he posted this on his Facebook page today:
Quote:
Heeey everyone.
Me and my friend Stefan Fournier are going to have Summer Hockey Development Camp in Lewiston Maine area if you r interested to be a part of that let me know. Send me your info (Name, Age, Contact Phone #, email) and i will get back to you as soon as I can. Everyone is welcome.. Im not sure which dates yet but I will let you know shortly. my email is [email protected].
Yep, he sounds like a total jerk. =)

entropism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong.

The isles used a 3rd rounder to draft Kabanov. They need size/skill/toughness on their team, which is the biggest reason they've ignored Nino's trade demand.
6'3 Kabanov, looks like he'll be a physical, skilled 2nd/3rd liner.

There've been no off ice issues the last few yrs.

Isles are in a youth movement and trading a high end 20 yr old, who's already in the AHL for a pick, is a step back away from the playoffs for the NYI.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism View Post
So he posted this on his Facebook page today:

Yep, he sounds like a total jerk. =)
I think like Kasparitis, kabanov's gonna be a fan favorite.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:18 PM
patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong.

The isles used a 3rd rounder to draft Kabanov. They need size/skill/toughness on their team, which is the biggest reason they've ignored Nino's trade demand.
6'3 Kabanov, looks like he'll be a physical, skilled 2nd/3rd liner.

There've been no off ice issues the last few yrs.

Isles are in a youth movement and trading a high end 20 yr old, who's already in the AHL for a pick, is a step back away from the playoffs for the NYI.
I've seen him play seven games this year and he's no lock for an NHL job in his future. His value is that of a third round pick and the Isles would probably do it. I know the Isles homers, like most of the HF posters, like to think every prospect is an All Star waiting to happen but realistically he is not going to be an impact NHL player. He does not work hard enough. I wish I was wrong/

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I've seen him play seven games this year and he's no lock for an NHL job in his future. His value is that of a third round pick and the Isles would probably do it. I know the Isles homers, like most of the HF posters, like to think every prospect is an All Star waiting to happen but realistically he is not going to be an impact NHL player. He does not work hard enough. I wish I was wrong/
Find my post where I said he was an All Star waiting to happen.

At 6'3, Kabanov plays a physical game the isles need. His work along the boards and his size, give him a good chance of sticking on a lower line, if he does score at the NHL level.

Isles would take 20 yr old Kabanov, who'll either be in the AHL next season or playing on LI next season over a 2013 3rd rounder, who will most likely be back in juniors or headed to college.

Kabanov played 4 games before his arm injury. He came back from that injury roughly 4 weeks ago and has played another 12 games. 6 pts in 16 games.
In early season game threads, Kabanov drew praise. So, based on 12 post injury games, he doesn't work hard enough? The isles would be lucky to get a 3rd for him?

Ok thanks.

http://blog.connpost.com/fornabaio/page/2/
Just deserts
January 31, 2013 at 11:37 pm by Michael Fornabaio
I’ll harp on it: Take away that Providence power play and that first period was really, really impressive. Persson-Watkins-Kabanov did some great things on the forecheck, keeping it deep. DeFazio-Campbell-Riley, too. Might’ve been Halmo’s best game.

http://blog.connpost.com/fornabaio/page/2/
What Just Happened Here, Vol., what, 924
February 17, 2013 at 12:39 am by Michael Fornabaio
Hey, Kirill Kabanov might’ve been their best player in the first period. He kind of got out of rhythm in the second with all the time on the penalty kill, but Watkins isn’t kidding; that line was pressuring pretty fiercely at times.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 02-27-2013 at 07:57 PM.